• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#201 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:40 PM

^ Does that include what our beloved soft taxing state would take away?

nah.

1st 4 years after taxes Dwight would earn more in HOU than in LA. 5th year is the sweetner for us

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#202 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Ah, before I take a hike and go read another topic...we talk about how well post players can do against teams when they have these "post moves" and can shoot the ball.

There's a guy named Yao Ming who was...well, 7-6 and a good 300+ pounds (much bigger than Dwight).

19 PPG, 9 RPG, 52.4% FG (career numbers)

He averaged over 22 PPG just once in his eight year career (short, of course, but he did reach his prime), never shot over 55% from the floor, shot VERY WELL from the free throw line...but never played more than nine games in a playoff run.  Never found his way to the WCF.  Never won a championship, despite having McGrady on board and a good defensive team in Houston.

Aside from stats...did anyone actually watch Yao struggle with those doubles?  He did.  Greatly.

There's more to basketball than just having post moves.  There are "power post" players, and then there are "versatile post" players.  Both can be dominant, but at the same time, if you don't have the right set of role players on the floor AND/OR aren't sticking that post player in an offense that maximizes his capabilities, you won't get what you need out of him because you simply make it FAR too easy for the opposition to contain him.

Basic basketball.  You learn this in high school, how to contain a post threat.  It doesn't matter the level, it's still the same idea...you can double down, and the way you defend him depends on the player (sometimes you can front him and meet him over the top, sometimes play his back and bring a guy over on the entry pass), and then you force the kick-out and, if you lose the game, it will be due to the team making 23-footers.

#203 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,770 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Moving from 1st option to 2nd + coming from an injury + playing under pressure esp in hollywood can make anyone struggle..

He said he learned alot this season and that he needs to be stronger mentally..

He could improve alot next season with training camp + having better chemistry with Kobe( if he's the only starter to remain next season)

We need him next year, but does he deserve a max contract? Whether we think he does or not, he'll take it.. Thats how things go in the NBA, let Heat situation aside. LeBron, Wade and Bosh are the highest paid in the team equally, maybe Wade takes couple G'z less.. 

#204 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:48 PM

KDTrey doesn't have to be more dominate than Lebron. He's dominate in his own right and he's a max contract player regardless. 

• 40,400 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:50 PM

KDTrey doesn't have to be more dominate than Lebron.

I'm not saying he has to be, I'm saying he could be, but that's on him.

yo.

#206 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:54 PM

nah.

1st 4 years after taxes Dwight would earn more in HOU than in LA. 5th year is the sweetner for us

Is that considering the fact that players still pay prorated taxes in other states when they play there?

I know the 41 games in Texas vs the 41 games in Cali would still make a big difference though.

Edited by Japago, April 28, 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Posted Image

#207 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Didn't argue that he wasn't a max player, but Durant is not a complete player.

LeBron, Kobe, and CP3 may be the only complete players in the NBA today...and in order of magnitude (although Kobe still has the biggest skillset).  

Durant, Dwight, and a few others are on that second tier...guys who are superstars, who deserve max deals, but have holes in their games that they could still patch up in the future (although, some big men will never be truly complete, because they can't shoot...like Shaq).

#208 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:50 PM

https://twitter.com/...777310587203584

Im still upset about tonights game and the way this season ended. Im mad I lost my cool. Im sorry for letting my team and our fans down when

He's usually pretty quiet when he messes up or deflects blame to someone else...he could've played better today but I dont think he did anything wrong when it cames to refs. Good to see.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#209 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Heres the whole thing

Im still upset about tonights game and the way this season ended. Im mad I lost my cool. Im sorry for letting my team and our fans down when

when they needed me the most. If there’s one thing I’ve learned this year its that I need to be more responsible for my actions and learn to

to “breathe”! (Maybe I will take up yoga and come back calmer or @charliesheen can help me with my anger management) But despite our tough

season, it is an honor being a member of a team with this amazing history & the best fans in the league!

I hope I get the chance to make it up to you!” Thank u la.

Edited by MDI, April 28, 2013 - 11:53 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,400 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:53 PM

^ That is awesome. Well said Dwight and well handled.

yo.

#211 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:13 AM

I know its incredibly hard but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease keep your mouth shut until 1st week of July when you can sign your contract officially. We dont need this on again, off again thing.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,400 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:14 AM

^ With Dwight's track-record unfortunately, I seriously doubt that happens.

yo.

#213 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,698 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:16 AM

I cant wait for the "he's wearing a red shirt it must be a sign he wants to go to the rockets.". 

#214 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,698 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:17 AM

BTW I think its time to re up the dwight howard thread. We all have been dreading this but its time. Lets get these twitter rumors going and all the bull[expletive] flowin. 

#215 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:22 AM

BTW I think its time to re up the dwight howard thread. We all have been dreading this but its time. Lets get these twitter rumors going and all the bull[expletive] flowin. 

I hope that thread never comes back. That thread is a reminder that we could be possibly re-signing Dwight and CP3 right now.

#216 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,698 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:23 AM

I hope that thread never comes back. That thread is a reminder that we could be possibly re-signing Dwight and CP3 right now.

better one than none. 

#217 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 917 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:47 AM

Am I the only one who loved that thread? 

it was like a huge chat between all the members of this forum, constantly active at all hours of the day.

I enjoyed all the multiple sources memes and stuff :P

#218 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Dwight is definitely a max player. Even if he is not the greatest on offense, the fact that his shoulder was hurt because his legs were weakened by the nerve injury means that what we saw this year was an aberration. He may never be Shaq in the post on offense but with a coach who can teach him the game and a better planned offense for post play he will be much improved. His defense is better than Shaq's and that was with his injuries this season.

The only reason not to give him the max would be for more flexibility. Lebron is worth twice the max but he took less to attract better teammates. If I was Mitch I would offer Dwight the maximum but also propose that if he were willing to take less than the max, they would be in much better position in 1 year to sign another max player and several good role players, emphasizing that the Lakers spare no expense in putting together a championship team the the reality is that with the current salary cap rules, they aren't allowed to spend as much as they'd like.

• 40,400 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Am I the only one who loved that thread? 

it was like a huge chat between all the members of this forum, constantly active at all hours of the day.

I enjoyed all the multiple sources memes and stuff :P

I agree. It was sort of a guilty pleasure in a way. A real love/hate relationship. Don't think many members as you and myself would admit to it, but I know there were/are plenty.

yo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users