Photo

Anyone still believe in now or the immediate future?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:40 AM

No use for Kobe to rush his recovery if mda is still here

Pau Gasol is GONE

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,980 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:44 AM

Surround Kobe with wings that can at least carry the load while he's on the bench and you won't have to worry about his minutes.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#63 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,462 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Don't doubt the Mamba. 

Remember when Dwight Howard was gonna be out till January? ;) 

Kobe will be back last week of pre-season at earliest, Christmas game at latest.

They are going to amnesty him.  I understand loyalty, but he is the highest paid player in the league by a huge margin and not a tradeable asset like Pau Gasol, not guaranteed to come back at all, and is coming off what is generally a career ending injury and at best a career changing injury.  When you factor in that the Lakers have basically zero chance of winning a championship next season without something ludicrous happening like Lebron James forcing his way to the team in a trade for MWP, then giving him what is currently beyond max money is foolish.  He is my favorite player of all time, I named my dog after him, I have posters in my room, cried when he went down, but his window is closed and it was extremely evident this season when he was not coming off an achilles and surrounded by what most people thought was the greatest starting 5 in history. The Lakers will be best served financially and for their future chances of winning amnesty to him.  This is purely a business decision. 

#64 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:39 AM

They are going to amnesty him.  I understand loyalty, but he is the highest paid player in the league by a huge margin and not a tradeable asset like Pau Gasol, not guaranteed to come back at all, and is coming off what is generally a career ending injury and at best a career changing injury.  When you factor in that the Lakers have basically zero chance of winning a championship next season without something ludicrous happening like Lebron James forcing his way to the team in a trade for MWP, then giving him what is currently beyond max money is foolish.  He is my favorite player of all time, I named my dog after him, I have posters in my room, cried when he went down, but his window is closed and it was extremely evident this season when he was not coming off an achilles and surrounded by what most people thought was the greatest starting 5 in history. The Lakers will be best served financially and for their future chances of winning amnesty to him.  This is purely a business decision. 

thats exactly how I feel but I didnt name a Dog after him and his poster is in my office not my bedroom. The wife aint letting me hand a Kobe poster up in the b/r...lol But your feelings are how I feel. But theres this glimmer of hope that he comes back and plays 1 more year like a mutha [expletive]in champ. Its not at all likely. But I will hope till the time he says he done for good.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#65 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,462 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:00 AM

thats exactly how I feel but I didnt name a Dog after him and his poster is in my office not my bedroom. The wife aint letting me hand a Kobe poster up in the b/r...lol But your feelings are how I feel. But theres this glimmer of hope that he comes back and plays 1 more year like a mutha [expletive]in champ. Its not at all likely. But I will hope till the time he says he done for good.

Well, the dog is a big beefy english bulldog, so if Kobe ever did something stupid like, oh I don't know, rape a girl in Colorado, I could just say that I named the dog after Kobe Beef :).  Anyhow...I don't doubt that he will come back and play effectively, I just still think that as a business decision, it is the one that makes the most sense.  The Lakers have to be realistic with themselves, the game is changing, and the things that they did before do not work, the player they built their team around is an old man who has been anywhere from injured to moderately injured to severely injured during parts of the last 5 seasons. They need to rebuild.  The nice thing about being a Lakers fan is, they usually aren't down for very long.

#66 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:18 AM

It's not guaranteed that Pau is a tradeable asset. You would hope. But, he's looked like garbage most of this season. And like people have said, the Lakers don't want to take big long term money back for him. He makes a lot of money too. I think Pau is a possibility to be cut using the amnesty too.

The diagnosis for Kobe's return makes it so that I don't think it's cut and dry. I think it's definitely something they should consider though with how much money they'll save. They'll take it to the very deadline of when they need to make the decision and see where he is by then. They save a TON of money by doing it, but the Lakers are basically throwing away the season by doing it. The Lakers have long odds to win next season anyway, but they need to try. It doesn't look good to somebody you're trying to re-sign, and it's not in the Lakers' style to throw away a season. As long as they can handle it for one more season, it's not harmful to their future plans either like taking in a big money long term contract.

Edited by Japago, April 28, 2013 - 08:23 AM.

Posted Image

#67 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,632 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted April 28, 2013 - 08:58 AM

isnt difficult to agree with you guys, thats the most logical desition

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#68 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,462 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:06 AM

It's not guaranteed that Pau is a tradeable asset. You would hope. But, he's looked like garbage most of this season. And like people have said, the Lakers don't want to take big long term money back for him. He makes a lot of money too. I think Pau is a possibility to be cut using the amnesty too.

The diagnosis for Kobe's return makes it so that I don't think it's cut and dry. I think it's definitely something they should consider though with how much money they'll save. They'll take it to the very deadline of when they need to make the decision and see where he is by then. They save a TON of money by doing it, but the Lakers are basically throwing away the season by doing it. The Lakers have long odds to win next season anyway, but they need to try. It doesn't look good to somebody you're trying to re-sign, and it's not in the Lakers' style to throw away a season. As long as they can handle it for one more season, it's not harmful to their future plans either like taking in a big money long term contract.

Pau is a max expiring contract going into a historic free agent class, he is also a player that is capable of producing on the floor, his trade value will be extremely high, and in reality, for the Lakers, he is probably worth more to keep and allow the contract to expire so they can have some money and flexibility.  Like I have said from before.  The Lakers will be best served to take their medicine next season, get all these contracts off the books, and build going forward.  They are many pieces away from contending and all they are doing by attempting to contend too soon is setting themselves further back in the long run (and short run, since they aren't going to win as long as Miami and OKC exist)

#69 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Pau is a max expiring contract going into a historic free agent class, he is also a player that is capable of producing on the floor, his trade value will be extremely high, and in reality, for the Lakers, he is probably worth more to keep and allow the contract to expire so they can have some money and flexibility.  Like I have said from before.  The Lakers will be best served to take their medicine next season, get all these contracts off the books, and build going forward.  They are many pieces away from contending and all they are doing by attempting to contend too soon is setting themselves further back in the long run (and short run, since they aren't going to win as long as Miami and OKC exist)

They can also try to compete without trying to commit long term money, which is what I'm suggesting.

If they can't trade Pau for mostly expiring money, then they should consider using the amnesty on him if Kobe looks ok when they have to make the decision. It doesn't hurt the Lakers' future plans because Kobe's contract is expiring too.

Pau is making a lot of money. He's probably not worth 8 figures right now, and he'll be making nearly 20 mil next season. He doesn't have a lot of value. He's looked like a scrub most of this season and the last 3 postseasons. And like you said, the Lakers shouldn't take back any long term money for him.

Edited by Japago, April 28, 2013 - 09:16 AM.

Posted Image

#70 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,503 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:05 PM

It makes huge financial sense now, but I still dont think they will do it.  It would totally tick off the fan base and cause Kobe to go somewhere else, determined to win one last time.

Speaking of somewhere else, where would make the most sense?  You KNOW what I'm thinking ....

Debbie Downer

#71 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Speaking of somewhere else, where would make the most sense?  You KNOW what I'm thinking ....

He wont go to Miami. KB cant and shouldnt be 2nd to anyone just to win a chip. Hes a Lakers legend. He wont tarnish that legend by ring chasing. Hes more of a champ if he plays with us till the end even though we may not be winning a pacific title anytime soon.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#72 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,980 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:21 PM

Not gonna happen.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#73 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,332 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:11 PM

The nice thing about being a Lakers fan is, they usually aren't down for very long.

We will hang #17 before the end of the decade, book it.

#74 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,290 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Lakers will come back in 2 years

#75 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:15 PM

We won't have a good future under head coach Mike D'Antoni.

Edited by Ham, April 28, 2013 - 05:15 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#76 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I do but there are two things we gotta do and one is sign Dwight and two is fire MDA/ get someone who knows a damn thing about defense. Preferably fire MDA since his offense is horrible with this team regardless. If neither of these things happen we might be [expletive]ed

Edited by 24allday, April 28, 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#77 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:06 PM

We gotta support Jim Buss...its not like Jerry was perfect either he didnt win a ring for 12 yrs. Hope he learns from his mistakes this year

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#78 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,244 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:07 PM

We gotta support Jim Buss...its not like Jerry was perfect either he didnt win a ring for 12 yrs. Hope he learns from his mistakes this year

Many people think that he is a dumbass or a "dictator." I truly believe that if Mitch disagrees with something, they don't do it. They work as a team. MDA was Jerry's hire. I wouldn't be surprised if he fired him so he can have his own "blueprint" in.

Our scouting department needs some work though.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#79 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,960 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Season is over. I remember at the beginning of the season being so excited and waking up every day before that for DH rumors and updates. I have allot of hope for this offseason. This will be another exciting offseason most likely. New players and new hopes. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users