Photo

Why is it such a lock that D12 will re-sign with the Lakers?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,390 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 27, 2013 - 05:38 AM

I hope he stays cuz if he doesn't we will be irrelevant for a while.

were irrelevant now

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,592 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 27, 2013 - 09:28 AM

were irrelevant now

The Wizards are irrelevant.

We are far from it.  You don't want to know what true irrelevancy is if you think we're irrelevant right now.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#23 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,929 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 27, 2013 - 09:31 AM

- We can offer $30 mil more than any other team

- Hollywood/Los Angeles

- If he goes to any other team hes' $30 mil poorer AND be in the same position as the Lakers. All the elite contenders have no capspace...OKC, SAS, MIA, NYK....DAL, BOS do have capspace but like I said its like being on the Lakers again as a 7th or 8th seed

- HOU is intriguing they have Harden, Lin, Parsons and have the $ to offer Dwight. They are by far the biggest threat

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#24 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 878 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Because if he doesn't then I have people that will end him permanently!!! :D :D :D

#25 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:29 PM

People will probably question it after this game. Alex Kennedy and Larry Coon said they still think he'll re-sign though when people questioned them after that incident, for what it's worth. They really don't know though. Nobody does at this point.

Houston is the biggest threat for sure.  But, I think the key drawback to them are the contracts they gave to Lin and Asik. They'll be hamstrung by them after next season, when Harden, Lin, and Asik will be making $45 mil. Add Dwight to that, and they are already near luxury tax territory on 4 players. They would be stuck with the team they have for 2 seasons at least. It'll probably be even worse the 2nd year if they can't handle paying the luxury tax.

I still think the Lakers retain him if they make the right changes to the team.

Edited by Japago, April 28, 2013 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image

#26 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:37 PM

If anything do a sign and trade get some benefit, but this gives him the payday and the choice of teams so it better be a great deal for us! Trade Pau amnesty MWP, do something to get younger and better

• 40,395 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Dwight answers questions about future & free agency:

yo.

#28 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 297 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:27 PM

He will sign because the Lakers have more money than anyone else. 

But if he wants to play Championship level basketball, Houston or Milwaukee might be better choices. 

#29 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,929 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:43 PM

But if he wants to play Championship level basketball, Houston or Milwaukee might be better choices. 

Milwaukee? Lol wut?

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#30 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,109 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Milwaukee? Lol wut?

Well the Bucks did signed Lebron James in my NBA 2k13 for 2015 season. Yes, he didn't resign with the heat and went for where the money is in the game LOL.  True story. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#31 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Milwaukee?

Did they acquire the young version of Kareem recently?

#32 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted April 29, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think it would be a lock if D'Antoni wasn't the coach. Either way I think he would do a tour of teams and listen to everyone but he would have ended up in LA. As it is now, I really don't blame him if he wants to go somewhere else because he doesn't believe in the coach and (presumably) the Lakers picked the coach over him.

All the other stuff about how much more money he'd make in Texas because of the tax system is irrelevant. How many big name stars have their homes in Texas? It's quite clear that he loves LA and the lifestyle and he'd make a lot more in endorsements. And I think he is smart enough to know that the Lakers will build a good team around him and give him just as much a chance to win as Houston would, maybe not for next year, but for many years to come.

It comes down to the coach. I just hope the Lakers don't make a mistake and pick a bad coach over Dwight.

#33 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Max Kellerman talking this afternoon about how the Lakers better man up and get Phil Jackson on board.  Because Dwight Howard basically has unlimited leverage, and he could go to any number of teams (Houston, Brooklyn) and say "I will sign here if you hire Phil."

#34 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,592 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 29, 2013 - 06:10 PM

^ Everybody on ESPN is going to run with the "get Phil jackson" story because it's what people want to hear and what gets them ratings.

The same way they run with a Tim Tebow story whenever he walks his dog.

They are paid to do this.

neither of them "actually" expect the Lakers to get Phil Jackson.  it's just the story they are selling right now till next season.  

From here till the beginning of next season every story that has to do with the Lakers they will find a way to incorporate Phil Jackson into.

Not because it's what they think but because it's the story to sale.  Phil Jackson + Lakers + News = Ratings and Profit.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#35 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted April 29, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Houston looks very attractive if they can keep Harden and Parsons along with Howard, and then you have Coach McHale who knows a thing or two about playing PF/C. Ultimately though, Howard will be wearing the P&G next season simply because, as Kenny Smith said last night, no superstar has ever left LA in his prime.

#36 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,445 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 30, 2013 - 12:35 AM

It is by no means a lock that he re-signs with the Lakers.

If he likes money and Hollywood, which he does, he will sign with Los Angeles.

If he want's less responsibility and a better chance of winning next season, he will sign with Houston.

I do think he will sign with the Lakers. In LA he has the best chance to win mulitiple championships. Not Houston. Perhaps not next season, which basically will depend on 100 different things. But after that, LA can really make a push.

Also, looking at it from Houstons perspective. Why sign a maximum guy like Howard, who really have shown that his primary asset is defense, not offense. IMO he have shown that he is more of a glorified version of Tyson Chandler rather than a Shaquille O'Neal. Right now they already have an elite defensive big-man in Asik - at half the price of what Howard will cost and without the "intangibles". Also, they could still spend some money on a big-man to pair with Asik. I'd say an Omer Asik-Josh Smith combo is better than a Dwight - Robinson/Craig Smith combo.   

#37 Renegade

Renegade

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:23 AM

Dwight should do an ultimatum and let FO choose between him and MDA.

#38 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,445 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:24 AM

Dwight should do an ultimatum and let FO choose between him and MDA.

He should take it even further and tell them to bring in Phil Jackson.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users