20 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,249 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:15 AM

It is one thing that fans and media doesn't expect the Lakers to even win a game against the spurs. But it is another when the players don't believe they can win. Have you guys heard the interviews after the lost in game 2? It seems to me that the players are ready for the off season. And most of the players are playing like crap just so the front office can get rid of MDA.  The MAIN excuses to keep MDA is injuries. But I think the players are even tired of that excuses.  I was watching the Rockets and Thunder game and even the rockets who have way less talent than the thunders gave them a run. Not saying the players have no heart. They do. But part of playing this game is if you willing to sacrafice for the coach. And personally I dont think they players want to play for this coach anymore. When players gave up on the coach, it is over. Do you guys see it?

I cannot believe I'm saying this but the 1994 Lakers with Nick Van Exel, Eddie jones and Ceballos played harder than this lakers team in the playoffs. Atleast they gave the Suns a run in the playoffs.  How many HOF on that team?

Edited by epicwolf, April 25, 2013 - 06:17 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,213 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:53 AM

there are other players willing to play if usual 7 rotation doesnt want to!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#3 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,263 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:04 AM

The Lakers played with a ton of heart thus far.  It doesn't matter how much heart they play with, they are severely over matched.  The offense they ran the entire season was centered around Kobe ISO, when that goes away with 2 games left in the season, all of a sudden you have no offense.  That is why they aren't putting up numbers.  The Lakers have 2 very good players that both need to post up offensively to be effective at all (which doesn't work simultaneously and is absurdly easy to defend when the Lakers don't have perimeter players that can consistently knock down shots) and a bunch of other mediocre players that are playing to their normal capabilities and some above that by a huge margin (blake).  The Lakers are trying, but they have no plan offensively, and no personnel to implement the plan if they had one.  That is an indictment on the coaching staff for not having a plan, and to a lesser extent the FO for not putting together a good squad that could operate at all offensively without a single player.  They will more than likely get swept, and I hope that the FO makes the correct decision to publicly execute Mike D'antoni for the cruel and unusual punishment he has subjected the fans of this great franchise to this season.    

#4 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Shouldn't have been hired to start with, rather have Sloan if you want to not have a PJ run again. He doesn't really coach, goes along and hopes. No leadership period. Now he is forced to play basically rookies Glock/Morris and they probably will start next game without the game time experience to "know" how to win in the crunch time moments. I didn't want the playoffs for these reasons. Embarassment.

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,940 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Dantonie is the worst

Lakers have no faith because of him

#6 apimentel24

apimentel24

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Name:ToyoLaker
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Ugghhh this season has been painful! Literally and figuratively... I hope these guys come back and play with some energy and heart in front of the Staples crowd. At least make games 3 and 4 close. It is obvious they are severely outmatched and OUTCOACHED (#FIREDANTONI) but hope us as fans can give them the energy they need to at least fight the Spurs to the end. Looking forward to these guys getting healthy and seeing this team at full strength next year  :no:

Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise. - Kobe Bryant

#7 ColStac

ColStac

Bleed Purple and Gold

• 483 posts
  • Name:Colmon
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:48 AM

It's oddly amazing how much at peace I am with all of this.  I think it's because I accepted the fact that we weren't going anywhere around mid February.  Listen, D'Antoni absolutely has to go.  He's a player killer with no real offensive or defensive identity and Pop, and just about every other coach for that matter, is turning him inside out.  Couple that with the fact that he ran Kobe into the ground with his "He says he's retiring in two years, so we're gonna get our money's worth out of him" statement and I wouldn't care if he never coached in this league again.

This is what happens when you have a legitimate look at an 11 time champion coach who has the endorsement of both of your superstar talents, but for pride and ego you pass on him entirely.

Edited by ColStac, April 25, 2013 - 07:51 AM.

The game changes, the players turnover, but the Mamba remains a constant!

#8 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,511 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:51 AM

What were dealing with right now, at this very moment is a larger problem than people are willing to admit.

Our coach sucks.

Our roster sucks.

in result....

Our game plan sucks.

Our execution sucks.

Kobe made this roster work. Extract him from the team and this is what we get. We cant just refocus around D12 with 2 regular season games of preparation and expect to beat Timmy, Manu and Tony. Thats not fair. D12 is not the future anymore, he has become the present. But its rediculous to think that the same roster, Built around KB24, can adjust to playing around D12 in 96 minutes of game time. The Spurs big 3 are vets and smart like KB is. They can watch film and see the weakness in 30 seconds or less. And they're disciplined and will attack the weakness over and over until it breaks.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#9 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,263 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:02 AM

What were dealing with right now, at this very moment is a larger problem than people are willing to admit.

Our coach sucks.

Our roster sucks.

in result....

Our game plan sucks.

Our execution sucks.

Kobe made this roster work. Extract him from the team and this is what we get. We cant just refocus around D12 with 2 regular season games of preparation and expect to beat Timmy, Manu and Tony. Thats not fair. D12 is not the future anymore, he has become the present. But its rediculous to think that the same roster, Built around KB24, can adjust to playing around D12 in 96 minutes of game time. The Spurs big 3 are vets and smart like KB is. They can watch film and see the weakness in 30 seconds or less. And they're disciplined and will attack the weakness over and over until it breaks.

I will agree to an extent.  Saying that Kobe "made this roster work" is a bit of a stretch, they weren't even a lock for the playoffs when he went down with 2 games to go, that isn't exactly working.  He did however put a band aid over several glaring offensive weaknesses.  Without him, the Lakers are not capable offensively of beating good teams.  They cannot fast break, because, well, that involves the word fast.  Their offensive gameplan is basically throw it in to Pau or Dwight, who are going to be double teamed and then kick it out to guys who have performed consistently mediocre to poor all season on open shots and hope for the best.  If the Lakers had some spot up shooters that could punish defenses, that would be something that could work, they don't.  I know people will bring up Nash being a great shooter, and he was in the past, this season, different story, and if he is hot, teams will double our bigs, stay home on Nash and let the rest of our scrubs shoot.  The Lakers simply do not have the personnel to compete with playoff teams, they are a team that squeaked into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season and they look like it. 

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,158 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:19 AM

How long have the Spurs being playing together... The Big 3..then Gary Neal and Green

Now how many games has Blake,Nash,Pau and Dwight played together?

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:36 AM

It's not lack of effort.

It's the Spurs being the better team, having the better coach, and having the right offensive/defensive game plan. The players see that.

The Lakers at full strength were already inconsistent with no direction. A Lakers team without its best player and hobbled key players? Pretty bad.

Everyone can make excuses for the Lakers, but we are just being outplayed right now and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

#12 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,154 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:03 AM

If we had Kobe, I could see us taking one game in first two. Overall though it's pretty hard. Most of us wished we would face Spurs even with Kobe out, but losing Kobe just 10 games before the tip off disoriented the team. Recent injuries are also worrying. I wouldn't be sad if we get swept, Spurs are a good team but we could definitely make it more competitive and fun.

edit:  10 days, not 10 games.

Edited by Goku, April 25, 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#13 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,511 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:10 AM

dont worry Spurs wont sweep. The Spurs will let us steal a game in LA so they can finish off the series in SA. Mathematics.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#14 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,511 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:13 AM

I will agree to an extent.  Saying that Kobe "made this roster work" is a bit of a stretch, t

Ok. What I should have said was Kobe made this roster work to its full potential...which was a 7-8 seed barely above .500. W/o KB24 we would have finished 10-15 games under .500.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#15 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,263 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Ok. What I should have said was Kobe made this roster work to its full potential...which was a 7-8 seed barely above .500. W/o KB24 we would have finished 10-15 games under .500.

That is probably about right.  Crazy thing, without Kobe and with a decent supporting cast, Pau and Howard could probably get the Lakers to a pretty high seed.  Unfortunately, that isn't the case, as the Lakers supporting cast is right up there with the worst in the league.

#16 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:40 AM

WC "not for lack of effort" I will agree to an extent, but no one is diving for balls and running full speed to stop the Spurs, hell even grab a guy making an un-contested layup and make em shoot free throws. No Defense that's a real surprise with the D genius we have. Somebody in the FO should figure a way out of this mess and soon.This is why I didn't want the pf's even with Kobe there is no real team passing is sloppy and turnovers did I say turnovers, The Bakers are waiting for a good window for vacations. hope some one does something off season this is unwatchable.

#17 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,898 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 25, 2013 - 11:15 AM

That is probably about right.  Crazy thing, without Kobe and with a decent supporting cast, Pau and Howard could probably get the Lakers to a pretty high seed.  Unfortunately, that isn't the case, as the Lakers supporting cast is right up there with the worst in the league.

You know what? You're absolutely right! Let's amnesty Kobe and get rid of him. Let's just sign good role players this off season and Pau and Dwight will get us that championship ring!

#18 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 302 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted April 25, 2013 - 11:16 AM

After watching two games, whistle to whistle, and the injuries to Blake, Meeks, and Nash, the idea of Darius Morris, Starting Guard for the Los Angeles Lakers, makes me want to throw in the towel. 

#19 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,203 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 25, 2013 - 12:38 PM

^This.  So who bears the responsibility for it coming to this?  Is it just "fate" that old players get injured, bench players dont quite work out (even though they play to  their career numbers), a one trick pony coach cant make his system work?

Debbie Downer

#20 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98

Posted April 25, 2013 - 01:41 PM

I will agree to an extent.  Saying that Kobe "made this roster work" is a bit of a stretch, they weren't even a lock for the playoffs when he went down with 2 games to go, that isn't exactly working.  He did however put a band aid over several glaring offensive weaknesses.  Without him, the Lakers are not capable offensively of beating good teams.  They cannot fast break, because, well, that involves the word fast.  Their offensive gameplan is basically throw it in to Pau or Dwight, who are going to be double teamed and then kick it out to guys who have performed consistently mediocre to poor all season on open shots and hope for the best.  If the Lakers had some spot up shooters that could punish defenses, that would be something that could work, they don't.  I know people will bring up Nash being a great shooter, and he was in the past, this season, different story, and if he is hot, teams will double our bigs, stay home on Nash and let the rest of our scrubs shoot.  The Lakers simply do not have the personnel to compete with playoff teams, they are a team that squeaked into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season and they look like it. 

kobe MVP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users