Number one priority this off-season has to be building depth and a bench

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:03 PM

You can try to dance around it, but we all know this is one of our major problems. It's what makes us a worse team in general, and it's also what causes injuries, because an incapable bench means you're playing guys a ton more minutes.

First of all, Artest is worthless. I said a million times that I wanted him off the team, but it doesn't really matter. He should be amnestied. I'm sure a few teams will actually bid for him, and will partially pay for his salary. If Clark comes back, he's our starting SF.

Second, Pau needs to be traded for 2-3 quality players. He showed a lot towards the end of the year, and is an expiring on top of all of that, so I think we can get some guys in exchange for him. Call me crazy, but I don't even care if they are that great at shooting three's (you don't want someone terrible, obviously). We've seen enough with Jodie Meeks - Lets just get young, quality players who play on both sides of the court, for once. I wouldn't even rush to get a PF. Jordan Hill could easily start, along with Dwight next season.

I think we absolutely need a bench spark plug (i.e. JR Smith, Jamal Crawford, Jarrett Jack, "the old" Lamar Odom, etc.). I notice that virtually every good/great team has one of these guys...Jamison was supposed to be this, but it didn't quite work out as well as it could have.

Last thing is that we need to figure out the Nash/Kobe thing. Injuries aside, these guys just don't fit. They're both ball-dominant. I would have loved to have seen these guys together when they were both young, but regardless, I just wasn't crazy when these two were playing together. Also, not gonna lie - That 30 mil owed to Kobe really hurts our ability to field a team...But it is what it is, and we just have to figure out a way to put together the rest of the pieces.

Edited by leor_77, April 24, 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#2 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Number one priority this season : getting rid of D'Antoni, then we can start talking about acquisitions

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#3 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,762 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Good thing most of our trash bench is off the books this offseason.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, April 24, 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#4 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,756 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:20 PM

Fire Pringles, then we'll talk...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#5 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,332 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, keep Dfumbonia so Kobe can keep playing 40+mins still. He won't care about depth.

Edited by Chad, April 24, 2013 - 11:21 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:23 PM

Not really sure who's "dancing around" this issue. Lol.

Everyone knows depth is needed but problem is if MDA is brought back he's still going to go with a 7-8 man rotation.

#7 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:57 PM

There will definitely be a roster overhaul. We are not making the same mistake again. I'm pretty sure Mitch is already on it.

#8 Rad

Rad

• 1,631 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 12:19 AM

^ you'd hope so.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,158 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 25, 2013 - 03:11 AM

Problem is we did improve our bench in this off-season.

Got Clark

Re-signed Hill
Signed Meeks
Signed Jamison

All those moves seemed good bench moves to improve our depth there.

WE thought that Meeks was gonna take some pressure off of Kobe, and he has not done any of that whatsoever.  In fact 9 times out of 10 he needs Kobe to set up his offense.

Jamison has been hot and cold, Hill was injured.

Yeah a lot of our bench fodder falls off the books after this season but the thing is, if you want Kobe to play less minutes you're gonna need to get a 2 that can score while Kobe sits on the bench, or you're gonna need a 3 that can do that on a consistent basis(Webster)

This is why the Lakers were going so hard after JR Smith(who ultimately chose New York over LA)

They know they need a guy to fit that role.

Their mistake as far as bench depth, was signing Ebanks too early and then not bringing in CDR because it would have felt like a "waste" of the money they spent to sign Ebanks(who smartly Did NOT re-sign with the team until we got Dwight Howard because he knew he'd be traded away)

So in this off-season what we need to do, is sign Webster and perhaps one more player for our bench.

Then if HILL and Clark can remain healthy we should be fine bench-wise.

Thing is, Kobe only plays 40+ minutes because the team as constructed couldn't get it done without him doing so.

Unfortunately that's a large bulk of it.

We could fill up the bench with as much depth as we like, but the reality is if they can't produce, Kobe will have to play because he can.

Meeks being wildly inconsistent and unable to hit an open three to save his life is a big reason why Kobe has to play so many minutes as well as Ebanks being fodder on the bench.

What will bring Kobe's minutes down ain't the coaching, it's the players on the bench that can produce.

Cause no matter the coach if the bench plays like scrubs and can't put points on the board, guess who has to come off the bench?

It isn't even all up to Kobe, it's up to Gasol, it's up to Howard, Meeks etc.  Its up to those entities that get playing time while Kobe is on the bench. 

And regardless of the coach who should have done a much better job, THOSE GUYS didn't step up enough.  Not till Kobe was gone, and even then have a hard time remaining there currently.

What we need, is someone like Martell Webster, and what we need is possibly one more bench player that can create. 

Get Barbosa once Washington lets him go as he's probably feeling pretty stupid about not "waiting" on us.

You get Barbosa and Webster.  You cut down on Nash's minutes AND Kobe's.  Sounds simple doesn't it?

It isn't.  You'll have to offer both more than Washington would to keep them.  Barbosa, you can probably get, but Webster Washington is gonna try their hardest to keep.

So that's the challenge.

Anyone else in the free agency waters for signings isn't gonna be as willing to take the MLE.

I keep hearing rumblings that Mitch could go after Monta Ellis.

In all honesty, if Mitch pulled that off and Ellis can be convinced to come off the bench in some situations, he deserves a statue outside of staples.

Edited by Majesty, April 25, 2013 - 03:13 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:02 AM

Lakers priorities

1. Convince D12 that all the items on this list wont hinder next years chances of winning a Chip.
2. Resign D12 

3. Fire current coach 

4. Hire new coach

5. Rebuild entire core roster. Everyone is expendable.

6. As plan B hope Kobe can return and still be Kobe but don't bank on hope. As plan A begin the process to find a alternative.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#11 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:21 AM

whomever most of you want you just think the exact opposite cuz too many of you want the wrong style of players that do nothing to improve the team. a complete transformation needs to occur & they must do away with over paying for low production players that "had a name" yrs ago

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#12 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,097 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Better not bring in any [expletive]ing player until this coach is gone. POINTLESS

Pau Gasol is GONE

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,470 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Number one priority this season : getting rid of D'Antoni, then we can start talking about acquisitions

#14 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:05 AM

I'm OK if they bring back Clark... but he has virtually vanished after playing so well for a month stretch. he had boner defending him last night and took him off the dribble once...

#15 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,586 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Lakers have nothing but mistakes last year

So, expect more mistakes this iffseason

#16 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:20 AM

Well...we already have Clark,Hill, Meeks and Jamison on the bench. I'm sure Mitch see's that and won't make any "dramatic" changes. He's just going to tweak it alil by maybe just adding a player. Don't expect any major signings this year other than D12 "maybe".

#17 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Well...we already have Clark,Hill, Meeks and Jamison on the bench. I'm sure Mitch see's that and won't make any "dramatic" changes. He's just going to tweak it alil by maybe just adding a player. Don't expect any major signings this year other than D12 "maybe".

Jamison and Meeks can go. I don't see the Lakers getting rid of Meeks though because I don't think they'll want to get 2 new SGs.

Posted Image

#18 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,348 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Fire Mike

SG to get A. Morrow/ J.J Redick/ Mayo/ Brandon Rush

SF to get Kyle Korver/ Corey Brewer

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#19 Drift

Drift

Rookie

• 185 posts
  • Name:John
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:21 AM

If we amnesty Metta, which I knew we will. We really need a defeding Wing and a PG for our future. Another SG besides Meeks....maybe Korver or Young?

Posted Image

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,877 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:26 AM

everyone has to realize, your bench usually gets better the 2nd season of creating a "new" team.

We have Jamison who has value. Clark, Hill, Blake and Meeks. Replace Duhon,Morris,Ebanks with a player who can actually play then our bench is fine.

I think we need ONE more perimeter player. That's it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users