Photo

Mike D'Antoni says the Lakers are going to be an "inside-out" team for the playoffs

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,352 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:05 PM

When did he do better than Mike Brown?  You say it was when he "got his legs under him" with this team?  Brown had five games to "get his legs under him" and didn't have a chance.

D'Antoni started to see success when:

1) he began playing Kobe FAR too much

2) Dwight was nearing full health

Explain the adjustments he made.

Here, I will...

1) He benched Pau Gasol just days after he started coaching the team.

2) He was forced to play Earl Clark, who would have never gotten minutes if it wans't for Gasol's injury.

3) He stuck Darius Morris on the bench and decided he was not good enough, offensively, to log a single minute.

4) He flip-flopped with Jodie Meeks, and at one point, didn't play him at all.

5) He moved Kobe up to the three, then played him as a four (PF) against the Warriors, at one point.

6) He forced the Phoenix "run-and-gun" offense for quite some time, until Steve Nash had to admit it wasn't working, stating that he needed to become more of a shooter.  Days later, MDA admits it wasn't working.

7) He plays Jamison in three different positions on the court.

8) Moves Ron from the perimeter to the post, for a couple of games, then back out and STATES that Ron Artest needs to shoot all of his wide-open shots...despite already being the SECOND SCORING OPTION on this team, taking more shots than anyone not named Kobe.

9) Rarely says anything about the P&R, and we barely see any instance of it in our offensive schemes, even when we break the offense.

10) Plays a 25-year old Earl Clark for 11 minutes against an older Spurs team that he DESTROYED with 22/13 back in January, when he was actually incorporated into this offense.

Many more "adjustments" he has made, and all of them are dreadful.

Coaches aren't in the NBA unless they are credible?  We aren't comparing him to a high school coach.  We are comparing him to other NBA coaches.

No, you don't remember that, because a Suns team with Shaq never beat the Lakers.  The Phoenix Shaq was 0-3 against us.

1. I think Pau was hurt when he started the season or shortly thereafter. he was NOt the player I see today. Even in the post, his balance was horrible

2.Stuck with Earl Clark, a scrub every way he has played, when he saw he could produce

3.Didn't like that move or how many minutes he played any of our starters-In that sense he was bad

4.Again, didn't like the way he benched capable players. Didn't like it Ny. That absolutely sucked. He cost us a few games with those decisions. But no more than a few

5.I saw the Clippers play Crawford and Barnes at he 3/4 in a playoff game against the Grizz and they won. The league is moving into a smaller situation and  that was unfortunately our best defensive 3/4, due to Jamison's horrible defense and Gasol being out.

6. Yup I agree, we had the most talent and wanted to play a gimmicky style, without Nash at one point and even with Nash, it was a horrible way to play and didn't work, to me that didn't last THAT long. The team was changing so mucvh, especially from mid-December to mid-January that it is a blur.

7. Jamison  was benched and sometimes he plays soft, I can't blame MDA for Jamison playing soft, but I don't get why he was benched as I stated earlier

*. I think Ron doesn't fit but who do we have, especially when Hill and Pau was out, and Ebanks I guess sucks worse than ever

8^

9.earl Clark did that WITh Kobe on the floor. He isn't going to do that again, but I get it

He is far from a perfect coach , but you know what, everything I said is true

He isn't a bum. Period.

He is an NBA coach for over a decade with international experience at the highest level.

Played at the  lowest level.

I think we ( you, me and Lakers fans), we know our team better than him. We have seen Kobe and Pau, and we know what their strengths and weakness are. We have seen Metta. So we know what he does. We knew those three , could not play on a fast team. He probably didn't know.

He was actually coaching his team next year not paying attention to us( he did a horrible job last season coaching as well)

I'm not saying he is great, he is just a decent enough NBA coach.

I thought mike Brown just lost the respect of the team

I mean losing ALL of your pre-season games and then getting blown off the floor 3 times and your only win was against the worst team in the league at the time.

How many times was the TRIANGLE just Mj or Kobe iso?

So I don't put too much stock into player's going away from schemes or philosophies of the coach.

#22 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,352 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:07 PM

http://usatoday30.us...ns-lakers_N.htm

Shaq beat up on Gasol. I remember vividly

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:23 PM

You're just making excuses for him, that's all.  He's an NBA coach, so he's not a bum.  Cool.

Doesn't mean anything to me.  Smush Parker was an NBA player, so he was never a bum?  

You're basically just saying that all NBA coaches and players aren't "bums" because they are on a high level.  I'm simply making comparisons within that level.

And within that level, Mike D'Antoni is a poor coach.

http://usatoday30.us...ns-lakers_N.htm

Shaq beat up on Gasol. I remember vividly

Blame Basketball Reference for that error, as they didn't list that game when I did a search.

However, when Shaq and Phoenix beat LA in that game (so he was 1-3 against them), Alvin Gentry was coaching.  It wasn't D'Antoni.

#24 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,315 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:51 PM

MDA Is an over rated coach. And basketballQ just over rate him.  There are bums that always get jobs in the nba. Doesn't make them even a "decent" coach.  Mike D Antoni got the Team USA job is because he is BFF with Bryan Colangelo and Bryan thinks that Mike can use his over rated offense on an already star studed run and gun team with Lebron, Westbrook and Durant.  We can put any coach on the USA team and still dominate. That is the dumbest excuse of being a good coach I've heard.  

MDA is a bum because he is the only coach I know that capable of alienate superstars. We all know to be a good coach in the NBA, or even an ok coach in the NBA, we have to know how to managed egos and not alienate superstars. MDA always have issues with every supertar he runs into. Including his beloved Steve Nash.  Mike D Antoni 7 seconds are less offensive scheme is the worst scheme in basketball ever. Even the dude who write that book thinks its crap. So yes, he is a bum.  Stop giving him stupid excuses for not being a bum. He is lucky to even have a job in the NBA.

Why does he always have jobs in the NBA? Just like Mike Brown. A great interviewer and other coaches likes him.  But players don't respect him. You think steve nash respects him? Hell no.  We are stuck with this POS for two more years.  I am trying to enjoy this POS but he is making it hard on me.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#25 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,527 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:40 PM

ga2ageta.jpg
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#26 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,867 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:56 PM

D'Antoni is a buffoon.

Anything and everything he says regarding this team working under his regime of idiocy can be completely disregarded.

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,352 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:05 PM

So my point.

D'Antoni who has had a cool NBA/basketball career and Mike Brown both know less ball than Real Deal and Fido?

Both of them?

or just D'Antoni?

I mean to me a poor coach is the guy in Charlotte or Sacramento or the guy who replaced Scott Skiles, or one of these ORDINARY coaches.

D'Antoni is stubborn and country, but he isn't a bad coach in that sense.

he isn't Mike Dunleavy orFlip Saunders. He has good traits.

Thats all I'm  saying.

I think with a healthy Dwight, a Kobe of 2011-2012,Hill, Clark, training camp...We'll make a Knick like turnaround under D'Antoni

#28 fido

fido

• 11,867 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Won't happen under D'Antoni.

I can go on for pages, but at the heart of it - terrible time management, terrible ego management, doesn't have the provenance to tell stars to sit (and for them to listen to him), doesn't know defense, doesn't have a "system" whatsoever.  D'Antoni gets jobs through his annoying smile in interviews and his personable demeanor in front of the camera.

The guy cannot coach.  He caught lightning in a bottle in Phoenix (a team that had great / lucky timing and any coach could've gotten as far as he did with minimal effort) and has botched / destroyed / fumbled every other coaching job he's had outside of that.

Hiring him was purely an ego play.  They didn't want to have to run back to Phil Jackson to save them again so they turned away from everything he brought to the table (down to letting go long time employees that thrived under his regime).  Jerry Buss was sold a bill of goods, thinking D'Antoni could use this inane "running system" (which again doesn't exist) with a team that was built to win with the triangle.

No matter D'Antoni thinks he can do this team is not built for his style (which I have yet to see) of team.  It won't happen.  When the Lakers had their best success this year they ran a modified triangle offense and completely ditched Pringles' misguided junk.

The Lakers were tired when they lost Oklahoma.  They had a long run in the playoffs for years on end, the stars played ball in the summer and they were tired.  Kobe said as much when they were bounced out of the playoffs.  If the Lakers hadn't panicked and rebuilt the team as it stands now while holding onto Phil (the guy who brought 5 rings to the franchise) this disastrous season and the one before it would not have happened.

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:20 PM

D'Antoni who has had a cool NBA/basketball career and Mike Brown both know less ball than Real Deal and Fido?

I'm sure every single coach that has ever had a career in the NBA knows more basketball (X's and O's) than I do.  That's why I'm not an NBA coach.

But that doesn't mean that those coaches know how to apply their knowledge to particular players and teams better, or to hold back their egos and do the opposite of what they've done for over a decade.

DeMarcus Cousins is far, far too big of a player to be taking jumpshots and NOT dominating in the post...and I would know that if I was a 6-11, 270-pound big man.  Does that mean that I can beat Cousins in a game of one-on-one, or that I deserve to play in the NBA?  Nope.

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,352 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:27 PM

See Fido, I would adress your post if Phil wasn't in it.

this is what I will continue to say.

no way in HELl Spolstra, Scott Brooks,are definitively better than D'Antoni.

I have seen D'Antoni's flaws...but no training camp...plus our injuries..I don't blame his as much as uyou guys do

pre-concussion Pau was not even a STAR..he was a garbage player who was too slow and clumsy.

Dwight was not elite. Nash and Blake were gone.

So we went from a Super Team, to kobe and Bynum with a bunch of scrubs. As guys got healthier, we were able to play better.

I do think the players had some non-chalant attitudes at certain parts of the seasons, and I think the West and NBA in general is as balanced as it has ever been.

#31 fido

fido

• 11,867 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:34 PM

A good chunk of the injuries came from poorly managed playing time - Kobe's included.

The injury and camp excuse doesn't fly when this much talent is on the team.  We all said the same things with Mike Brown and it still didn't fly.  when there's this much talent on the team (even with guys coming in and out from injury they should've been a 50 win team) having a camp won't make that much of a marked difference.  All that is is an excuse, nothing more.

D'Antoni is wrong for the job.  He can't make the most out of a team with or without talent.  He is at a loss at all times regarding how to make veteran talented team work.  He doesn't bring in that kind of provenance that make experienced players listen to him.  he's a yeller and a screamer with no definitive tools being brought to the table.  The only tool he brings to the job is himself - that's it.

#32 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,315 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:24 AM

The sad thing is as much as we can argue about how suck D Antoni is, Jim Bum and Mitch Cupcake have the same thinking as BasketbalIQ too so they will keep MDA for two years even if the lakers suck next year and miss the playoffs.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#33 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,352 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:29 AM

See like a dude calling our management names like that, I don't respect the opinion or you as a human.

Thats some front-unning fake fan [expletive].

its like being American and complaining that you don't have enough. 

We win more than any other franchise and it's not enough????

That's dumb and anyone who acts like a victim as a Lakers fan, They need to re-evaluate their life. Obviously there is something else going on to make you negative, because the Lakers have done NOTHING but attempt to win.

Go be a Clippers fan, since our front office are soft bums. Lets see how long that works out for you.

Man, I wonder if thats just being a Kobe homer, when you make dumb ass comments like that.

#34 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,721 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:56 AM

See like a dude calling our management names like that, I don't respect the opinion or you as a human.

That's dumb and anyone who acts like a victim as a Lakers fan, They need to re-evaluate their life. Obviously there is something else going on to make you negative, because the Lakers have done NOTHING but attempt to win.

Go be a Clippers fan, since our front office are soft bums. Lets see how long that works out for you.

Man, I wonder if thats just being a Kobe homer, when you make dumb ass comments like that.

lol

#35 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Buss probably regrets the decision, but the idea of firing yet another coach, and owing him as he sits on his ass, may not be a priority until we see how next season begins.

I doubt this franchise wanted to run through four coaches in a single season.  Only two teams in NBA history have had four coaches in one season (1982 Cavaliers and 1989 Pacers).

#36 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,306 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Buss probably regrets the decision, but the idea of firing yet another coach, and owing him as he sits on his ass, may not be a priority until we see how next season begins.

I doubt this franchise wanted to run through four coaches in a single season.  Only two teams in NBA history have had four coaches in one season (1982 Cavaliers and 1989 Pacers).

With Brown signing in Cleveland, does anyone know if he forfeits his Lakers paychecks?  Maybe Jimmie can stomach just having to pay one ex coach at a time?

Debbie Downer

#37 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,705 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:22 AM

is this fool really trying to say antoni is a good coach? wow SAD and confused. Sorry, hes not a champion ship caliber coach, as this season has proven

ap1.png

#38 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,306 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:24 AM

From ProBasketballTalk.com, discussing the Cavs hiring of Brown:

One side question is how much this impacts the fate of Mike D’Antoni — the Lakers owed $8 million over the next two seasons to Brown but now likely owe little if anything to him (depends on the wording of the contract but the league does not allow coaches to double-dip in these instances, the Lakers likely just owe the difference between the deals). One of the reasons D’Antoni was considered safe is the Lakers didn’t want to fire him and be paying three coaches at once. But now with Brown basically off the books, the Lakers have less financial reason to hang on to D’Antoni. I do not think this means they fire him (unless Dwight Howardplays that card during contract negotiations, and he is already trying to shake a coach killer reputation so don’t bet on it) but I think D’Antoni’s leash just got a lot shorter.

Debbie Downer

#39 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,315 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:31 AM

That is nice that you don't respect me as a human. Apparently you know me personally. I don't respect you as a human being too for taking somebody's opinion too personally and attack them as a person.  YOu are the reason why message boards are out of control. 

#40 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,306 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:38 AM

^And this board is better than most ....

Debbie Downer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users