Photo

Mike D'Antoni says the Lakers are going to be an "inside-out" team for the playoffs

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,022 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:48 PM

After falling 91-79 in Game 1 of their Round 1 series against San Antonio, the Lakers gathered for a Monday practice at Texas Military Institute, intent upon making adjustments that might help lead to an improved all-around effort in Wednesday’s Game 2.

Searching for a split before returning home to Los Angeles, the Lakers know that they most need to cut down on the kinds of mistakes they made that led to a far-too-high 18 turnovers – the Spurs had just nine – in a statistic that was the major difference between winning and losing.

“I wasn’t happy with the 18 turnovers we had,” said Mike D’Antoni after the game. “That is, to me, probably the difference in the game … some of that was turning down shots that were open and trying to force it in a little bit too much. But we have to have the balance, and have to clean some things up to try and get the ball inside a little bit easier.

Indeed, 10 of the team’s 18 miscues came from big men Pau Gasol (six) and Dwight Howard (four), as the Spurs constantly clogged the paint and sent multiple bodies at the two Laker bigs.

It's more complicated for LAL than just pounding the ball inside. Gasol said they need better movement before the entry pass.

After Monday’s practice, Steve Blake said the Lakers have to focus on moving the ball, and moving bodies before putting the ball inside.

“There were a few times where we forced things that caused turnovers,” said Blake, who had three miscues. “A couple times I went to make a pass and I just lost it. I’m pretty sure that happened to a couple of guys. We will clean it up and we will be ready for the next game.”

While the offense struggled to 41.1 percent shooting, the defense was very strong, limiting the Spurs to just 37.6 percent from the field. But when an opponent gets to take 12 more shots (85 to 73) and one more free throw (25 to 24, the Spurs plus four in makes) the percentages matter less.

Aside from the extra possessions created off turnovers, San Antonio effectively limited L.A. from gathering misses, allowing only six offensive boards and grabbing eight of their own. Nonetheless, Gregg Popovich’s system of movement and cuts was held pretty well in check by Dwight Howard and Co.

Blake did an excellent job on one of the NBA’s toughest covers in point guard Tony Parker, who made just 8 of 21 shots towards his 18 points. And Steve Nash, never known for his defense, battled hard all night despite continued limitations in his back/hip/hamstring to be in the right places. Danny Green scored only six points, Nash taking care not to afford open looks.

On the other end, Nash – who admittedly does not feel like himself – scored 16 points on 6 of 15 field goals. He was sore after the game, as expected, but made it through Monday’s practice.

“It’s not great, it’s not going to be great but I (have) to worry about what I can do,” he told reporters inquiring about his condition.

Nash is determined to help however he can, and Mike D’Antoni certainly needs his ability to make plays and shoot against a Spurs team eager to load up on the bigs inside. That’s due in part to the absence of offensive machine Kobe Bryant, watching the games back in his Orange County home as he recovers from Achilles surgery. Some of Bryant’s minutes are being taken up by Jodie Meeks, who became the latest Lakers to make the injury report as he sprained his left ankle in the third quarter.

Meeks did not practice on Monday in favor of getting treatment, but he told us he will play on Wednesday.

D'Antoni said that, yes, LAL have become an inside-outside team now; they just have to feature the best ways to get good looks inside.

Yes.   But in order to be an effective inside out team, the outside need to move the ball better and actually SCORE when they get their wide open shots.

But still, I like that we'll be inside out moving forward, but like the coach said, like Blake said and like Gasol said, we need to set up ball movement to open up the inside more and take advantage of our open shots to stop the Spurs from collapsing.

Thoughts?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:50 PM

Says the coach who doesn't believe in posting up big men, huge joke. 

#3 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,244 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:54 PM

#LetGoudelockPlay

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:57 PM

^ Can't be worse than Meeks at this point right? Why not?

yo.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,022 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Says the coach who doesn't believe in posting up big men, huge joke. 

He's posted them since Gasol came back from injury.  That's old now.

Edited by Majesty, April 22, 2013 - 04:09 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:13 PM

We'll see. 

#7 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm sure we'll be firing on all cylinders with a style of play that we haven't focused on all year. With a coach who has no clue how to use his bigs at all. Good thing we have 3-4 games left!

#8 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:38 PM

all talk, next thing you know he changes his mind and tells the team to just do pull up threes.

#9 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,348 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:56 PM

I believe it when I see it 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#10 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:58 PM

There should be an addendum... "Except when we play Nash ball." 

#11 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,905 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:19 AM

He's posted them since Gasol came back from injury.  That's old now.

Kobe actually told Gasol to get into the post...

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#12 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Mike D Antoni "inside out" offense is crap!   The triangle is also an inside out offense but unlike the triangle, players don't stand outside of the three point lane like a stone henge and not move around.  THis is the worst inside out offense I have seen in years.  It is fine to give the ball to the big men but when you give the ball inside, MOVE AROUND!!.   It is laughable seeing how the offense was running.  THis offense is an offense that middle school uses. Players standing around watching the bigs do work? Even my grandmother can defend this offense. Players didnt move around when Dwight or Pau had the ball. All they do is stand there with their d***ck up their asses and hoping they will make an open shot which they rarely do.

MDA NEEDS TO BE GONE.  unfortunately it wont happen cus Jim Buss is the devil.

Edited by epicwolf, April 23, 2013 - 08:55 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#13 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 712 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:24 AM

When it takes 70+ games to find out that you should play inside-out when your roster includes Dwight and Pau you probably aren't the guy for the job

#14 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,465 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:33 AM

3 games til the end of the D'antoni era, should have thought about playing to our strengths 6 months ago. 

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Eleven seasons of coaching...D'Antoni has avoided any instance of "inside-out" when it comes to a basketball offense.

What would make me think that's going to change?

All credit goes to the player(s), and Kobe, for making the adjustments and ignoring this bum.

Back in 2004, D'Antoni took over a Phoenix team that had Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Stephon Marbury, and Leandro Barbosa.  Steve Nash was in Dallas.  That team went 21-40 under MDA.

Now, Amare only played 55 games, and Marbury played 34 (was traded to New York), but that team also had 26 lineups, and Frank Johnson coached them to 44 wins the previous season (and Frank Johnson was NOT a good coach, only won a total of 63 games in three years).

They were 22-33 with Amare.

Want to know what happened with the Suns?  Nash happened.  Not Mike D'Antoni.  Nash replaced Marbury, and they won 62 games in 2004-05, which was the following season.

Without Amare?  No problem, because Nash continued to run HIS offense.

Fans can make all the excuses in the world, but Mike D'Antoni is truly one of those coaches who has been fortunate to "coach" UNDER certain players in his career.  

It's only fitting that Nash was in a Lakers jersey before Mike D'Antoni...because, otherwise, there would be no reason to have this man coaching ANY team in the NBA.

Unfortunately, Nash isn't 29-30 years old, and that makes MDA useless as a head coach.

#16 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Eleven seasons of coaching...D'Antoni has avoided any instance of "inside-out" when it comes to a basketball offense.

What would make me think that's going to change?

All credit goes to the player(s), and Kobe, for making the adjustments and ignoring this bum.

Back in 2004, D'Antoni took over a Phoenix team that had Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Stephon Marbury, and Leandro Barbosa.  Steve Nash was in Dallas.  That team went 21-40 under MDA.

Now, Amare only played 55 games, and Marbury played 34 (was traded to New York), but that team also had 26 lineups, and Frank Johnson coached them to 44 wins the previous season (and Frank Johnson was NOT a good coach, only won a total of 63 games in three years).

Want to know what happened with the Suns?  Nash happened.  Not Mike D'Antoni.  Nash replaced Marbury, and they won 62 games in 2004-05, which was the following season.

Without Amare?  No problem, because Nash continued to run HIS offense.

Fans can make all the excuses in the world, but Mike D'Antoni is truly one of those coaches who has been fortunate to "coach" UNDER certain players in his career.  

It's only fitting that Nash was in a Lakers jersey before Mike D'Antoni...because, otherwise, there would be no reason to have this man coaching ANY team in the NBA.

Unfortunately, Nash isn't 29-30 years old, and that makes MDA useless as a head coach.

In short, Mike D' Antoni is the MOST OVER RATED COACH in the history of sports.    I hope the lakers fire him in 7 seconds or less

Edited by epicwolf, April 23, 2013 - 09:47 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,463 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:49 AM

D'ntoni a bum? All credit to Kobe and the players?

even Kobe would disagree with that.

I'm sure kobe had huge input, but D'Antoni has HAD to make adjustments. It's unrealistic to think otherwise.

in 11 seasons of coaching, he has preferred a small team, and it seems like most coaches do in this era. But I remember Shaq and Amare beating the Lakers with Phil with Shaq beasting on Pau, that was the D'Antoni era.

Am I saying he is a great coach>? No..

But he isn't a bum. He has actually did better than Mike Brown once he got his legs under him.

A guy isn't in the NBA and on the Olympic coaching squad for NO reason. So say what you want to say, but he has REAL basketball credibility with NBA people who KNOW their stuff.

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:20 AM

D'ntoni a bum? All credit to Kobe and the players?

even Kobe would disagree with that.

I'm sure kobe had huge input, but D'Antoni has HAD to make adjustments. It's unrealistic to think otherwise.

in 11 seasons of coaching, he has preferred a small team, and it seems like most coaches do in this era. But I remember Shaq and Amare beating the Lakers with Phil with Shaq beasting on Pau, that was the D'Antoni era.

Am I saying he is a great coach>? No..

But he isn't a bum. He has actually did better than Mike Brown once he got his legs under him.

A guy isn't in the NBA and on the Olympic coaching squad for NO reason. So say what you want to say, but he has REAL basketball credibility with NBA people who KNOW their stuff.

When did he do better than Mike Brown?  You say it was when he "got his legs under him" with this team?  Brown had five games to "get his legs under him" and didn't have a chance.

D'Antoni started to see success when:

1) he began playing Kobe FAR too much

2) Dwight was nearing full health

Explain the adjustments he made.

Here, I will...

1) He benched Pau Gasol just days after he started coaching the team.

2) He was forced to play Earl Clark, who would have never gotten minutes if it wans't for Gasol's injury.

3) He stuck Darius Morris on the bench and decided he was not good enough, offensively, to log a single minute.

4) He flip-flopped with Jodie Meeks, and at one point, didn't play him at all.

5) He moved Kobe up to the three, then played him as a four (PF) against the Warriors, at one point.

6) He forced the Phoenix "run-and-gun" offense for quite some time, until Steve Nash had to admit it wasn't working, stating that he needed to become more of a shooter.  Days later, MDA admits it wasn't working.

7) He plays Jamison in three different positions on the court.

8) Moves Ron from the perimeter to the post, for a couple of games, then back out and STATES that Ron Artest needs to shoot all of his wide-open shots...despite already being the SECOND SCORING OPTION on this team, taking more shots than anyone not named Kobe.

9) Rarely says anything about the P&R, and we barely see any instance of it in our offensive schemes, even when we break the offense.

10) Plays a 25-year old Earl Clark for 11 minutes against an older Spurs team that he DESTROYED with 22/13 back in January, when he was actually incorporated into this offense.

Many more "adjustments" he has made, and all of them are dreadful.

Coaches aren't in the NBA unless they are credible?  We aren't comparing him to a high school coach.  We are comparing him to other NBA coaches.

But I remember Shaq and Amare beating the Lakers with Phil with Shaq beasting on Pau, that was the D'Antoni era.

No, you don't remember that, because a Suns team with Shaq never beat the Lakers.  The Phoenix Shaq was 0-3 against us.

#19 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,829 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:26 AM

owned

ap1.png

#20 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,876 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Great way to play the last three games of the year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users