Photo

Allen Iverson Documentary Trailer (Pg. 6, #103)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,693 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:32 PM

This was a little over 2 years ago...

#22 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:45 PM

look at how many DIVORCED athletes go broke.

I bet his wife was spending money as they were together, stashing away money for a break-up and bent him over during divorce.

Most of you don't understand about black athletes...the wannabe thug comment is stupid, you NEVER saw Iverson getting in sa many disputes as Metta let's say or a BUNCh of guys. He got in something in college like a TON of kids do. He wore a du-rag because that's a product made for black hair.

He wore baggy clothes because that was the style at the time.

The pissed away his talent comment is dumber than the talent comment.

only 2-3 players his size has had a similar impact. I swear, some of you don't think about REALITY when you post.

anyway...When you are a hood athlete, you  have soooo many people to save. Of course your mom, and grandma and aunties and cousins...that's ten or so people. If you have brothers and sisters, and add kids, and best friends and THEN here comes people who weren't AS close but still knew you well enough.

The bottom line is for some reason , Iverson didn't get a chance to finish his career the wy it should have,

Again the timeline

Average 25+ for Denver but was traded early in the season to Detroit where they played Rodney Stuckey over him.

Iverson averaged 17, 5.5 dimes that season in a role he didn't like, but he played it well.

He went to the Grizz and Hollins didn't even give him a chance to start, so the friction caused them to move AI before given a shot.

He said in an inrterview he thinks he could still start and instead of people saying...he has the same HEARt and desire...they said, he sounds selfish...

I know the reason, but I won't say.

Meanwhile Luke Walton still has a job

#23 K-Kris

K-Kris

Forum Browser

• 615 posts
  • Name:Kris
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I feel bad for the guy. He was one of my fav players to watch play the game of basketball. Obviously, he has made bad decisions, but i hope he, somehow, gets his life back together. If you have seen the 30 for 30 film: Broke, you should know that there could be a variety of reasons why an athlete goes broke (child support, bad investments, wrong people around you, expensive habits, etc).

like basketballiq mentioned... theres going to be many people that will try to get a piece of what you got if you make it big. The ones that will be most difficult are those close to you because of how much of a challenge it is to not help them in any kind of way.

The dleague has to look more intriguing to him now. We'll see if the opportunity is still there for him next year.

#24 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,956 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:28 PM

AI liked E&J more than he ever liked the NBA

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#25 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:13 PM

I bet his wife was spending money as they were together, stashing away money for a break-up and bent him over during divorce.

Most of you don't understand about black athletes...the wannabe thug comment is stupid, you NEVER saw Iverson getting in sa many disputes as Metta let's say or a BUNCh of guys. He got in something in college like a TON of kids do. He wore a du-rag because that's a product made for black hair.

only 2-3 players his size has had a similar impact. I swear, some of you don't think about REALITY when you post.

anyway...When you are a hood athlete, you have soooo many people to save. Of course your mom, and grandma and aunties and cousins...that's ten or so people. If you have brothers and sisters, and add kids, and best friends and THEN here comes people who weren't AS close but still knew you well enough.

The bottom line is for some reason , Iverson didn't get a chance to finish his career the wy it should have,

Again the timeline

Average 25+ for Denver but was traded early in the season to Detroit where they played Rodney Stuckey over him.

Iverson averaged 17, 5.5 dimes that season in a role he didn't like, but he played it well.

He went to the Grizz and Hollins didn't even give him a chance to start, so the friction caused them to move AI before given a shot.

He said in an inrterview he thinks he could still start and instead of people saying...he has the same HEARt and desire...they said, he sounds selfish...

Yea cuz none of us are from the hood. That's how it is everyone wants you to save em including the busted ass crew, but nowhere does it say you have too.

Like Steve Harvey said, "hell yea I moved out of the good. I know y'all [expletive]as steal, I used to steal with you."

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#26 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:36 PM

If you have seen the 30 for 30 film: Broke, you should know that there could be a variety of reasons why an athlete goes broke (child support, bad investments, wrong people around you, expensive habits, etc).

Child support? Wear rubber, be discreet with your dick, take care of your kids yourself

Bad investments? Use common sense

Wrong people around you? Tell them to get the [expletive] on

Expensive habits? You're an adult; control yourself

Pau Gasol is GONE

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,630 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:37 PM

If I played one year in the NBA I'd live exactly where I live now, pay off all my student loans and save the rest. 

500,000 for one year in the NBA can be saved for a very long time if you understand how to live or if you don't need the "lavish" things.

Edited by Majesty, April 22, 2013 - 08:47 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#28 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,230 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:24 PM

anyway...When you are a hood athlete, you have soooo many people to save. Of course your mom, and grandma and aunties and cousins...that's ten or so people. If you have brothers and sisters, and add kids, and best. friends and THEN here comes people who weren't AS close but still knew you well enough.

Again the timeline

$150 million. No excuses with that amount of money.

Let me say that again, $150 million.

#29 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,508 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:29 PM

bw1wOGf.png

#30 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,094 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:30 PM

People thinking it is under to live under the means if you make less than $75,000 a year. AI apparently thinks it is hard to live under his means even with $150 million :laughing:

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#31 K-Kris

K-Kris

Forum Browser

• 615 posts
  • Name:Kris

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Child support? Wear rubber, be discreet with your dick, take care of your kids yourselfBad investments? Use common senseWrong people around you? Tell them to get the [expletive] onExpensive habits? You're an adult; control yourself

Good points.

im not making excuses for him, i just feel bad for the guy. like you said.. lotta people dont know how to handle success and money. I put that out there for people wondering how he blew away all his earnings.

------------

An investment may look good to them, realing them in only to find out its a bust.

And what if the wrong people around you turn out to be your flesh and blood? Its harder for some people to turn them away. Its easier for others.

Some of em probably get too caught up in that rich and lavish lifestyle, its like an addiction for them.
(Once again... Im just pointing out variables that play into why athletes go broke)

Edited by K-Kris, April 22, 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#32 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,793 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Again the timeline

That was because he came out thinking he was better than he actually was in his latter years. He never adjusted his game as he aged. He thought he was still a superstar and deserved to have the team built around him when he clearly wasn't. AI has no one to blame but himself for his exit from the league. He just wasn't worth the trouble to teams with that attitude and all his off court issues.

He isn't a starter in the league anymore, but he could definitely be a bench player if his ego wasn't so huge. Nothing held AI back from reforming himself into a veteran off the bench except himself. In his mind he's probably still a franchise player.

In any case, he blew $150 million. $150,000,000. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS.

That is downright ridiculous.

#33 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted April 22, 2013 - 11:28 PM

It baffles me that these athletes need 3 or 4 homes in different places. WTF just have 1 house! and if you're going to be traveling there's this thing called a Hotel!

For me 1 house, 2 vehicles will do!

thats what you say now. when you see that bank account and checks coming in left and right for 50k + people change their tune
Posted Image

#34 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,550 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:08 AM

Pro athlete going broke. Very familiar story unfortunately. Money management should be a required course your rookie season in every sport.

#35 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,759 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:35 AM

Lotta people don't know how to handle success and money. If I made millions of dollars playing sports, I would stay my ass at home...no clubs, no partying, no drinking, no associates.

Thats why you aren't a millionaire lol.

#36 KjaX24

KjaX24

KjaX24

• 305 posts
  • Name:keith jackson
  • Fan Since:a wee little lad

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:19 AM

I am a millionaire , I don't have a job that pays me to be one either... Saving and smart investing that's all you really need. This dude had 150 million dollars.. For you to blow that in half ( maybe a quarter ) of a life time you aren't the smartest cookie in the jar. I do believe he might have some NBA skill left, as a back-up's back-up.

Edited by kj24, April 23, 2013 - 11:20 AM.

• 40,395 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:07 PM

^ Damn really? So I bet you could probably get that chick in your avi then? Nice.

yo.

#38 KjaX24

KjaX24

KjaX24

• 305 posts
  • Name:keith jackson
  • Fan Since:a wee little lad

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Trust me.. to get to what I have saved up I have had to live a very conservative lifestyle, and I married a girl similar to her already.. just a tad bit darker ;) 

#39 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:33 PM

It's true, people with wealth that lasts usually live below their means. It doesn't look like it to us because they still have nice cars, clothes, houses, etc but it's probably still very less than they can afford.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#40 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Seriously what the [expletive] do you do with 150 million dollars? What the [expletive] do you spend it on?

Obviously some of you guys didn't watch the 30 for 30 special about athletes making millions and end up being broke in a couple of months. It is easy for you guys and for me to say how a person can blow away 150 mil and can't even afford a cheesburger. I am not making excuses for the stupidity that athletes are making. Im just saying you guys need to watch espn 30 for 30 :broke: and realized what goes on in an athletes life. 

This is why I admirer Magic Johnson even more. The minute he signed that huge contract in 1981 for just a couple of million dollars (back then it was huge) he use that money to invest in business that will make that million becomes billions. Athletes today don't know how to invest. They don't even know what a 401k is.  Money is liquid. It comes and it goes. Your job in life is to make the liquid keeps flowing. I find it funny that people don't get how athletes spend 150 million and lose it so much while millions of regular people are in debt left and right. More people spend money that doesn't belong to them than ever before. It is called credit cards, loans or any credit. 

So you can sit here and wondered how an athlete who earn millions and lose all of it all you want. The reality is it is a lot easier to spend money than to earn. I work in accounting. I deal with money all day. I've seen how people spend. Do an experiment.  Take 20 dollars. Try using that 20 bucks for th whole week.  You think you can do it? I doubt many people can. Because people spend 20 bucks on lunch every day. For what? For instant gradification. If you can lose 20 bucks that easily, 150 million is nothing.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users