Photo

D'Antoni: Lakers best with Nash on floor

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,809 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:52 PM

SAN ANTONIO -- Steve Nash said his performance in the Los Angeles Lakers' 91-79 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in Game 1 wasn't up to the standards he's set for himself as a two-time league MVP, but coach Mike D'Antoni said L.A. needs even a hobbled Nash to pull off the upset in their first round series.

"He gives us that threat on the floor that's good and I think he'll get better as his leg gets better," D'Antoni said Monday after the Lakers' practice. "We're not going to do it without him. He'll battle through some injuries that he has, but he'll be ready to go Wednesday (for Game 2)."

Nash, who played for the first time in nine games on Sunday as he continues to recover from nerve damage in his right hamstring caused by a right hip injury, admitted he was experiencing a "fair amount" of soreness but was able to fully participate in the Lakers' light practice nonetheless.

"I'm not worried about the soreness," Nash said. "It just is what it is. I'm going to have to fight through some soreness and some pain and I'm not going to be able to move as well as I would like, but I'm going to have to make the most of it and do what I can to help."

Despite the rust, Nash tied Pau Gasol for the second-most points by any Laker in Game 1, scoring 16 points on 6-for-15 shooting along with three assists and just one turnover. The Lakers had a plus-minus of +2 in the 30 minutes that Nash played.

Nash missed the only 3-pointer he attempted, contributing to the Lakers' 3-for-15 mark from deep (20 percent), but D'Antoni said Nash's shooting should return and help take the pressure off Gasol and Dwight Howard down low by opening up the floor.

Nash said he didn't "feel like myself" Sunday and added Monday he was not "moving like normal," but expects to improve as he continues to recover.

"I think some of the shots I got if I was moving well were good looks for me," Nash said. "I tried to just make some points for the team, create some offense, distribute, lead and try to defend my guy and help the team."

Gasol said Nash would still be sitting out if it was still the regular season and the Lakers weren't in the postseason.

"He's fighting through something that probably would have kept him out longer if it wasn't the playoffs," Gasol said. "I think it's something that we're happy to have him back with us. I think he played really well, considering. He's just fighting through it."

Nash is still not fully healthy, but doesn't envision his hip and hamstring being a "long-term problem" that would require further invasive treatment in the offseason. The veteran point guard already received two epidurals last week to try to alleviate the pain, which Nash called a "strong and kind of final procedure."

"We've been through so much you want to kind of overcome it now and to not to be 100 percent, or not to be NBA 100 percent which is somewhere above 80, is frustrating," Nash said.

Nash reiterated that his current injury has only contributed to making 2012-13 the most frustrating season of his 17-year career.

Nash sat out 32 games because of various injuries, more than he missed in any other previous season since being drafted by the Phoenix Suns in 1996. The most games he missed previously was 26 in 1999-2000 as a member of the Mavericks.

However, the 39-year-old -- who has two years and $19.5 million remaining on his contract -- said retiring has not crossed his mind.

"Not even close," Nash said. "When I was healthy this year, I felt really good. I think still, for the amount of opportunities I got on this team, I think still I was just as efficient as I've always been."

Indeed, Nash narrowly missed the fifth 50-40-90 season of his career, shooting 49.7 percent from the field, 43.8 percent on 3-pointers and 92.2 percent from the foul line during the regular season.

Nash still believes that the Lakers have a chance of beating the Spurs, despite their 0-1 series deficit, and wants to contribute to overcoming the challenge.

"I love to play and I love this team," Nash said. "I want to fight for these guys and be a part of this team having some happy times. We've had a lot of down days and we've stuck with it. ... We've had a lot of ups and downs and a lot of tough nights, so I want to turn that around and be a part of helping these guys enjoy this."

Nash isn't the only member of the Lakers backcourt who is banged up. Jodie Meeks suffered a mild sprain of his left ankle in Game 1. He did not practice Monday, but is expected to be available for Game 2.

"He should be ready Wednesday," D'Antoni said of Meeks. "He's doing treatments today, but he should be ready also [along with Nash]."

Meeks had four points on 1-for-4 shooting in 20 minutes in Game 1 along with two turnovers.

He says this when Nash is REALLY struggling and Blake is REALLY hot.

LINK

#2 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:53 PM

mda does big drugs, his thinkin is lopsided

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

• 40,432 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:54 PM

la_g_jimbts_400.jpg

yo.

#4 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,227 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Can't believe me might have two more years of this idiot running the show.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#5 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 535 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:58 PM

:jawdrop:  why does he think that? I don't think we are. 

#6 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,192 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:01 PM

you guys act like you forgot how Coach D got hired in the 1st place. Go look back at my comments from then = I was saying he got hired while high on drugs in his hospital bed. WHen he gave his 1st couple interviews he was still high. losing streaks began & his philsophies havent changed. whether high or sober he goona do what he wants. he does not swallow his pride to do the right thing for the mix of players on the current roster. he never will even with a training camp.

Edited by gque24, April 22, 2013 - 02:15 PM.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#7 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,493 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:07 PM

la_g_jimbts_400.jpg

After looking at this pic I figured out how MDT got hired:
Jim Buss: After puffin a few ganja bowls off my new imported hooka from India with my good buddy MDT I decided to offer him the Head Coach position for the Lakers. Wrote the contract right there while Mike was packin us another fatty. Hes my boy maaaaaan. I love that guy! Serious I fawkin love that duuude. Go Coach!

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#8 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:10 PM

772533.JPG

#9 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,348 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Just enraging...Nash even admitted that he's not able to move as well. 

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,604 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Oh right because a lineup of Blake and Meeka is better than a lineup of Blake and Nash.

Are ya'll serious? We aren't beating the Spurs unless Nash plays well and Nash and Blake sjould be starting together.

If ya'll think we're going to the second round without Nash or think we're a better team as constructed without him on the court you're wrong.

Dunno why any of you have a problem with that statement. He's right. We aren't beating San Antonio without him playing well and we're better with him out there than Meeks. What's the problem?

Nash's shooting also is key in stopping Popovich from swarming our bigs down low which was also said and also true.

Did you guys even read the article or did you just come here to hate on the coach?

Edited by Majesty, April 22, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,232 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:08 PM

he's a [expletive]in  idiot,  Blake shut down Parker yesterday. Nash should rest, he's hurting us defensively and Offensively (right now offensively) he's obviously not right (which he admitted) 

Edited by True Lakers Fan, April 22, 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,604 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Nash doesn't hurt us offensively as much as Meeks does.

You keep the lineup of Nash and Blake, with Blake on Parker.

Nash had an "off game" and had 16 points. 

Meeks has an "off game" he has 2 points, or 3 points. 

I don't know why anyone would prefer Meeks out there with Blake over Nash out there with Blake. 

Ya'll act like he's saying that we're better with Nash starting over Blake.  He didn't say that at all. 

What he said was basically we're keeping the lineup(Nash out there with Blake) and he expects Nash to hit his open jumpers, and that Nash has to make them to make Popovich stop swarming.

All this is true.

HE also held Danny Green to only 6 points

He didn't say start Nash over Blake :smh:

Edited by Majesty, April 22, 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#13 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,841 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:50 PM

<br />yzy3uqyh.jpg

Edited by WhatUSaid, April 22, 2013 - 03:50 PM.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#14 LakersCeb

LakersCeb

Rookie

• 95 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:39 PM

You kidding me antni? You just defused blake's momentum.cmon now, even skip bayless know about this

#15 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 501 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:32 PM

It's pretty obvious Nash is hurting the team right now, he's barely moving and has taken the ball out of the hand of the guy whose been key to us making the playoffs. I have no problem trusting Nash over Blake but if hes not right it makes no sense to take away from whats been working

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,604 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:39 PM

You kidding me antni? You just defused blake's momentum.cmon now, even skip bayless know about this

please tell me where he says he's gonna start Nash over Blake? :smh: 

He's going to play them together..  just because the OP says it killed Blake's momentum doesn't mean he said he's starting Nash over Blake :smh:   It does nothing to Blake's momentum because Blake is still starting.

Or did we all catch amnesia suddenly?

Read the article

Edited by Majesty, April 22, 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#17 LakersCeb

LakersCeb

Rookie

• 95 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:57 PM

It's pretty obvious Nash is hurting the team right now, he's barely moving and has taken the ball out of the hand of the guy whose been key to us making the playoffs. I have no problem trusting Nash over Blake but if hes not right it makes no sense to take away from whats been working

^this

#18 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,336 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:45 PM

please tell me where he says he's gonna start Nash over Blake? :smh: 

He's going to play them together..  just because the OP says it killed Blake's momentum doesn't mean he said he's starting Nash over Blake :smh:   It does nothing to Blake's momentum because Blake is still starting.

Or did we all catch amnesia suddenly?

Read the article

nash SHOULD NOT BE STARTING. HES INJURED. damn

i'd take Morris starting at SG just for he glimpses of good d compared to a hobbled nash who should be coming in off the bench for spot shooting. the less nash has to move the better

Edited by RobBlake, April 22, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

ap1.png

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,604 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:48 PM

nash SHOULD NOT BE STARTING. HES INJURED. damn

i'd take Morris starting at SG just for he glimpses of good d compared to a hobbled nash who should be coming in off the bench for spot shooting. the less nash has to move the better

Hobbled Nash held Danny Green to 6 points while scoring 16.

Neither Morris nor Meeks will give you 16 points on a "bad" night.

Nash should start over Meeks. If the last 3 games of the season didn't tell you that hopefully game one of the NBA playoffs did.

Edited by Majesty, April 22, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#20 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,823 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:51 PM

We're at our best with Nash playing off-ball and running the game through Pau and Dwight. He'd better not start running Nash-ball anytime soon. And I hate how D'Antoni takes out guys as soon as they seem to be getting into rhythm. Nash had a sloppy game overall but every time he'd string together a few good possessions, he'd soon find himself resting on the bench again. I guess D'Antoni just HAS to rest his favorite player, no problem with running anyone else into the ground.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users