#5 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 22, 2013 - 12:38 PM

-___________________-

Should have been Roy Hibbert.  The Pacers are incredible on the defensive end, top 10 greatest defensive team of all time (according to oppFG%) if you leave out the lockout seasons.  Hibbert has Paul George, just like Gasol has Tony Allen...so no excuses for this one.

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,527 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:43 PM

He's been great defensively. One of the few guys to give dwight a tough time. Dwight will get it next season. Really right now he's playing the best defense in the NBA but he wasnt able to all season do to his back

• 40,383 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Learn from your brother, Pau.

Seriously.

yo.

#8 InterNLakerNajkihh

InterNLakerNajkihh

Rookie

• 387 posts
  • Name:Besnik
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:42 PM

He's been great defensively. One of the few guys to give dwight a tough time. Dwight will get it next season. Really right now he's playing the best defense in the NBA but he wasnt able to all season do to his back

even [expletive]in haddadi gave dwight a tough time 

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:30 PM

-___________________-

Should have been Roy Hibbert.  The Pacers are incredible on the defensive end, top 10 greatest defensive team of all time (according to oppFG%) if you leave out the lockout seasons.  Hibbert has Paul George, just like Gasol has Tony Allen...so no excuses for this one.

I actually would have picked George over Hibbert.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,099 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:22 AM

yeah George had a bigger impact on defense.

#11 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,541 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:03 AM

This is such BS. Marc is the most overrated player this year. I keep hearing people crowning him as the best center in the league although Dwights' numbers are better than his in about every category. More points, boards, higher field goal percentage, more blocks, more steals. And this is a DOWN year for Dwight. Dwight, CP3, Paul George, and Lebron are all superior defensive players to Gasol. What a joke, the media and "experts" just want to pile on the Lakers sinking ship and Dwight, despite the FACT that he is still clearly the best center in the game.

I'm sorry, but I have to reiterate:
1) More points on a substantially higher percentage from the field. I realize this is due to the fact that most of the baskets he scores are at the rim, while Marc can shoot midrange jumpers, but regardless of how the points come Dwight is more efficient.
2) Significantly more rebounds per game. 7.8 to 12.4 I think(?) I could be wrong but I'm 98% sure that's what they average per game. Nothing else needs to be said there, that's a clear-cut advantage.
3) Dwight averages more blocks per game and more steals, and I promise you he alters more shots than Gasol does, or anyone else in the league for that matter. I bet Chandler does as well. And Noah. And Hibbert...

I'm sick of the media writing off Dwight. Giving defensive MVP to Gasol??? This will be one of those moments in NBA history we look back on and say "WTF?!?!" Just like how Kobe only has one MVP. Total. Bull. End of rant.

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:05 AM

I actually would have picked George over Hibbert.

And I would have picked Tony Allen over Marc Gasol, but anchors are going to get it over the perimeter defenders, most of the time, because they have their man + others to worry about more often than guys like Allen, Deng, LeBron, and Iguodala.

#13 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:30 AM

-___________________-

I don't know about that one man, winning an award requires more than 29 minutes IMO, especially one as big as this. Marc Gasol is much tougher guarding the post, has better hands and is less prone to foul trouble. For Hibbert to average more fouls despite playing 6 less minutes is a bit perplexing. One thing that Marc handles better than every big other than a healthy Howard and Tyson is playing the pick and rolls, I've seen teams actually ATTACK Hibbert because of his struggles. You know you dragging Z-Bo out in Memphis because Marc is as good as it gets.

The Paul George and Tony Allen mentions are not that simple as well, Tony barely plays half of the game (because of his offensive struggles) and Paul George plays almost ten more minutes than Hibbert. I think the West is a better conference offensively than the East so that just gives Memphis extra props. It's close but if I had to choose someone from Indiana it would be George too but I'm fine with the Gasol selection

#14 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:35 AM

This is such BS. Marc is the most overrated player this year. I keep hearing people crowning him as the best center in the league although Dwights' numbers are better than his in about every category. More points, boards, higher field goal percentage, more blocks, more steals. And this is a DOWN year for Dwight. Dwight, CP3, Paul George, and Lebron are all superior defensive players to Gasol. What a joke, the media and "experts" just want to pile on the Lakers sinking ship and Dwight, despite the FACT that he is still clearly the best center in the game.

I'm sorry, but I have to reiterate:
1) More points on a substantially higher percentage from the field. I realize this is due to the fact that most of the baskets he scores are at the rim, while Marc can shoot midrange jumpers, but regardless of how the points come Dwight is more efficient.
2) Significantly more rebounds per game. 7.8 to 12.4 I think(?) I could be wrong but I'm 98% sure that's what they average per game. Nothing else needs to be said there, that's a clear-cut advantage.
3) Dwight averages more blocks per game and more steals, and I promise you he alters more shots than Gasol does, or anyone else in the league for that matter. I bet Chandler does as well. And Noah. And Hibbert...

I'm sick of the media writing off Dwight. Giving defensive MVP to Gasol??? This will be one of those moments in NBA history we look back on and say "WTF?!?!" Just like how Kobe only has one MVP. Total. Bull. End of rant.

Marc is deff not a better center than Dwight but DPOY usually goes to the players anchoring ELITE defensive teams... Sadly the Lakers are nothing close to an elite defensive team so there's no justification for Howard winning this award a fifth time. Gasol winning this award over Dwight is more than justified 

#15 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,707 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:22 PM

Love Gasol's game.  There are other worthy candidates but Gasol is well deserving.  Agree with a previous poster as well as to Hibbert.  Very underrated.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 23, 2013 - 02:22 PM

And I would have picked Tony Allen over Marc Gasol, but anchors are going to get it over the perimeter defenders, most of the time, because they have their man + others to worry about more often than guys like Allen, Deng, LeBron, and Iguodala.

Good perimeter one on one defenders are rare to come by nowadays.  Unfortunately.  That's why I like guys like George and Allen etc.

But that is actually one reason my dad hates the zone defense.  He told me once when I was younger that allowing zone defense in the NBA would mean that over the years there'd be less good one on one defenders in the NBA.

And now years later he still feels that way, he thinks that players that grow up learning zone defense nowadays, will never ever take the time to train their individual one on one defense and the basics of it because they no longer have to because the zone is designed to stop the guy you'd be one on one defending.    Which is why we see more people flopping than playing lock down defense nowadays.

So he gets a lot of enjoyment out of one on one defenders like Paul George, Tony Allen, Ron Artest(back in the day) and Kobe back in the day etc, as do I.  

Edited by Majesty, April 23, 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:22 AM

tyson and Dwight had better defensive years than Marc.

#18 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Tokyo Ghoul

• 8,415 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Love Gasol's game. There are other worthy candidates but Gasol is well deserving. Agree with a previous poster as well as to Hibbert. Very underrated.

Agreed.

Hibbert would have been another great DPOY.

MMiRi9s.png

#19 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,594 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'm a bit surprised by the "hate" Marc has been getting. (not here)

Posted Image

#20 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 28, 2013 - 11:47 AM

I thought Ibaka should get it, he protects the rim almost as good as a healthy dwight does. He lead the league in blocks and gives great help and rotation down low. If he isnt blocking a shot down low he is making a player change their shot which is almost as good, making it tough to get easy lay ups down low is one of the biggest keys of playing good defense.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, April 28, 2013 - 11:48 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users