29 replies to this topic

#1 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,824 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 19, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Obviously, I am predisposed to hoping Mike Dantoni doesn't come back.  Having said that, I am aware that the likelihood of his departure is not as high as if they hadn't made the playoffs.  Part of the consensus has been that paying three coaches would be economically infeasible.  If Brown were to take another job, the would no longer be getting paid to sit at home.  This would make the departure of Mike Dantoni easier for the organization to swallow.  Aside from my blatant bias against the man, just some food for thought.

#2 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 638 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 19, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Brown is very respected around the NBA circle, if the cavs dont snatch him up look for his old buddy Ferry in the ATL to make a move.

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,317 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 19, 2013 - 07:20 AM

I think he will still get a check from the lakers. Unless there is a breached in the contract saying if he gets another job than the Lakers don't have to pay him anymore. I dont know. But even if the Lakers stop paying Mike Brown, they still have to pay MDA aaand the next coach for the lakers if they fired MDA.  I do not see Jim Buss willing to do that.  Its jim Buss for crying out loud.  And say if you wish comes true having Phil Jackson back, the Lakers have to pay Phil jackson and Mike D and Phil contract is like as much as two coaches contract.  So yea wishful thinking

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted April 19, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Let me say this. Brown is a heck of a coach. His preparation is great, he knows how to shrink the court. His in-game adjustments however, is the bane of his career.

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,317 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 19, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Brown is very respected around the NBA circle, if the cavs dont snatch him up look for his old buddy Ferry in the ATL to make a move.

This is not college basketball man. Having respect by other coaches and organizations doesn't make much impact. It is having respect by players. And Mike Brown has NO respect from players. It is a lot harder to coach in a star drivin league when players don't listen to you.  Mike Brown is like Mike D Antoni. All the coaches in the league respect the guy. Heck thats why Mike D got a position with the USA team but you think the Players respect Mike D?  I dont think so. Phil Jackson have respect from players and thats the difference. 

Edited by epicwolf, April 19, 2013 - 07:25 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#6 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted April 20, 2013 - 04:36 PM

I thought there was a rule against a coach taking a paycheck from one team while also getting paid to coach another. I read or heard somewhere that this was true. I'm not sure if that means the Lakers stop paying completely if he takes another job or if the Lakers pay the difference if he takes a job for less than $4 million.

I'm guessing that the Lakers would stop paying him completely and the contract would be done, since otherwise Cleveland could just hire him for $1 and stick the Lakers with a bill for the rest of the $4 million (same situation that Andray Blatche talked about with him and the Wizards). I don't know for sure, though, and can't seem to find any definitive sources. It might just depend on the language in each individual contract.

#7 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,318 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:58 AM

i would say congrats & recognize that Gilbert had enough sense to swallow his pride & bring back a coach that brought that team alot of wins.

Lil Buss should take lessons if it happens

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#8 Mastas

Mastas

Rookie

• 807 posts
  • Fan Since:started watching NBA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Taking a paycheck from one organization and working for another sounds like conflict of interest.

#9 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,796 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Mike Brown was still getting paid by Cleveland when he took the Lakers job.

If you fire the coach, you have to pay him the full guaranteed amount. You can workout a buyout amount, but it's legally money that's owed to that person.
iyjywo.jpg

#10 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,073 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:44 AM

@WojYahooNBA: Talks are still ongoing about what, if anything, the Los Angeles Lakers would still owe Brown, source tells Y! Sports.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#11 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,476 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:37 PM

stephen-a-smith-laugh.gif

Have fun with that Cavs. 

Edited by Chad, April 23, 2013 - 01:37 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#12 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,615 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Mike Brown is gonna be the highest paid coach in basketball lol. Lakers money and Cavs money

#13 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Reports going around Cavs are going to swallow some of the money that Lakers owe Brown so Lakers will only pay Brown abour $7 million instead of his full amount Lakers owe.

Lakers have been told they'd get "some" relief from $6.5 million-$7 million they owe Mike Brown. It's not entire sum, though. Maybe half.

Edited by magicbalala245, April 23, 2013 - 01:59 PM.

Posted Image

#14 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 742 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:04 PM

I hope that's enough of an incentive to dump Trashtoni 

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,012 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:19 PM

I hope that's enough of an incentive to dump Trashtoni 

You expect another team to pick him up?

Phil already said he doesn't want to "coach" anymore and he wants a front office job.

So if you fire D'antoni you must understand you're not getting Phil back and any other replacement would leave you feeling just as empty but the team would have to go through ANOTHER transition period for 3 straight years.   We're gonna have to stop with the "we didn't have a training camp to prepare" seasons already.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#16 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,729 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:38 PM

Phil already said he doesn't want to "coach" anymore and he wants a front office job.

So if you fire D'antoni you must understand you're not getting Phil back and any other replacement would leave you feeling just as empty but the team would have to go through ANOTHER transition period for 3 straight years.   We're gonna have to stop with the "we didn't have a training camp to prepare" seasons already.

Phil would come back to coach the lakers.......its up to our FO to go ask.

#17 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,796 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Smh...

He will coach the Lakers if the circumstances are right for him. This was evidenced 5 months ago. He never said no.
iyjywo.jpg

#18 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Majesty, you're such a Phil hater it's laughable.  He's never said he wouldn't come back to coaching.

#19 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,718 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:32 PM

don't understand why you hate phil

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:32 PM

He never "said" anything, he's interested in a return, more than likely to a front office role and would definitely conisder coaching again if the right opprounity presented itself (which means coaching a team that has a chance to be a contender and win a title).

After nearly two seasons in retirement, Phil Jackson has become increasingly interested in working in the NBA next season, according to sources familiar with his thinking.

That doesn't necessarily mean a return to coaching, as Jackson is known to be intrigued by the concept of moving into management for the first time in his career.

But sources told ESPN.com this week that Jackson is "itching" to go back to work after a long spell to recharge since leaving the Los Angeles Lakers' bench following the 2010-11 season.

Sources stressed that there is no specific opportunity in play yet for Jackson, who resisted coaching overtures from the Brooklyn Nets earlier this season and told longtime confidant Charley Rosen in January in a SheridanHoops.com story that he "has no intention of ever coaching again."

But NBA coaching sources say that stance will not dissuade teams with openings from approaching Jackson this offseason to gauge his interest, with the Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers -- who interviewed Jackson in 2005 and are known to be contemplating a coaching change -- potentially at the top of the list.

What has Jackson really intrigued, sources say, is the opportunity to oversee an organization in the patriarchal style of Pat Riley with the Miami Heat or in a role similar to that previously held by Larry Bird with the Indiana Pacers.

But it remains to be seen if a team will give him that sort of chance, given that the 67-year-old Jackson is the most successful coach in league history with 11 championship rings and has never held a prominent NBA personnel job.

There's always the chance, sources said, that Jackson will simply stay retired if none of the opportunities that arise prove to be the right fit.

http://espn.go.com/l...ive-sources-say

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users