Photo

Would the Lakers make the playoffs if Mike Brown was still the head coach?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Would the Lakers make the playoffs if Mike Brown was still the head coach? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Would we make the playoffs if Mike Brown was still the head coach after 1-4 start?

1. Yes (24 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. No (9 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,868 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thought I'll ask a Question...its a 2 part Question

1) After the rocky 1-4 start if Mike Brown wasn't fired and was kept the entire year, would we still make the playoffs even if our Big 4 were healthy and each didn't miss no more than a handful of games ?

2) When we reached 17-25 and Mike Brown was the coach would we have made the turnaround of going 28-12 while having injuries that we did during that span, to reach the playoffs?

Edited by MDI, April 18, 2013 - 11:09 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,954 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Sure.

Still wouldn't have won a ship though.
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,001 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:12 AM

As bad as MDA is mike brown was just god awful. The guy could never just make a line up. He was constantly "experimenting" and didn't have the respect of the team what so ever. 

I mean were talking about a guy who would give Ebanks consistant time.

#4 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,606 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I still prefer Brown over D'Antoni 

Posted Image

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,868 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Sure.

Still wouldn't have won a ship though.

you have to make the playoffs in order to get into the postseason...so my question is more towards the 82 game regular season

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,954 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:15 AM

When choosing between two inferiors, Mike Brown is the least inferior of the two.

Edited by Windu, April 18, 2013 - 11:15 AM.

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#7 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 2,723 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yes, yes we would. And we'd have won at least 50 games. Keep in mind that Brown listened to Kobe and asked for his advice now and then. I didn't know about this until recently but there is no harm in sharing it, the day he was fired he was up until 3am and slept in his office to see how he could turn the team around. You might say, oh well the team had already lost over 10 games with the new team till that point. But you have to remember Dwight was unable to perform 50% of his usual self, Nash went down just in 2nd game, And we basically waited for him to be the savior of the team for the next 20 games. At the very least Mike Brown wouldn't wait for it and implement a system around Kobe.

For all the bashing he gets, Brown also achieved a 3rd seed in West with a [expletive]ty Lakers squad that didn't show any respect to him, and also he didn't have the training camp to tweak little bit of things he executed in regular season. In playoffs also we were close to upset Thunder no matter what people say. 2 games went like puff! We lost the lead the moment Kobe was sitting on bench. And that is mostly due to inability of the FO to bring help from the bench. When all things considered, Mike Brown was successful. He had a system in mind but we were simply too cocky to wait for it. The shiny 4 HOF lineup was too much of an overestimation which was proven later on.

#8 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,213 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:40 AM

No. I wasn't comfortable with any game we play. Everytime I expected a loss. We probably would've got [expletive] together, but the whole we had to dug out of would've been much bigger ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Cavy Music

#9 Clutch

Clutch

YESSURRRRR

• 8,213 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:43 AM

probably would've been a similar season

Posted Image

#10 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,868 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'll forever be grateful to Mike Brown for one thing...inflating the hell out of Andrew Bynum's trade value. It helped us get Dwight Howard

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#11 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,349 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:52 AM

YES NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. AT LEAST THE GUY STRESSES DEFENSE

Posted Image

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,391 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yes, yes we would. And we'd have won at least 50 games. Keep in mind that Brown listened to Kobe and asked for his advice now and then. I didn't know about this until recently but there is no harm in sharing it, the day he was fired he was up until 3am and slept in his office to see how he could turn the team around. You might say, oh well the team had already lost over 10 games with the new team till that point. But you have to remember Dwight was unable to perform 50% of his usual self, Nash went down just in 2nd game, And we basically waited for him to be the savior of the team for the next 20 games. At the very least Mike Brown wouldn't wait for it and implement a system around Kobe.

For all the bashing he gets, Brown also achieved a 3rd seed in West with a [expletive]ty Lakers squad that didn't show any respect to him, and also he didn't have the training camp to tweak little bit of things he executed in regular season. In playoffs also we were close to upset Thunder no matter what people say. 2 games went like puff! We lost the lead the moment Kobe was sitting on bench. And that is mostly due to inability of the FO to bring help from the bench. When all things considered, Mike Brown was successful. He had a system in mind but we were simply too cocky to wait for it. The shiny 4 HOF lineup was too much of an overestimation which was proven later on.

Yes, Brown knew who to build the offense around from jump street and to use Nash off-ball(which at the time everyone hated)

And him and Kobe came up with what to do the night he was fired, a simplified version of what it was before. The stuff we ran with Bernie. When they asked Kobe what it was like now that they ditched the Princeton, Kobe responded "we're still running the Princeton, just simplified down a bit"

To be completely honest we'd probably have wound up running something similar to the triangle.

Cause we'd simplified the Princeton down, was going through the post, Kobe was main ball handler and point guard was off-ball, and we already ran triangle sets with Kobe and Gasol.

We'd have wound up running simplified Princeton, triangle and pick and roll marginally.

Sounds good doesn't it?

Anyway, one of the issues with the team was they WERE arrogant. I think Dwight said it best when he said "we all thought we'd eventually round up 8 or 9 wins in a row and be back on track"

So you see even when losing in their minds they'd go "eh, its ok, rome wasn't built in a day, we got this."

This was further inflated when D'antoni arrived and as he has said one of the main problems with the team was 1) everyone wanted to be the man
And 2) when we got a lead, number 1 would kick in till we were behind.

We are past that, but it was as evident behind Brown as it was behind D'antoni.

At the very least Brown would have given us an offensive system that fit the personnel earlier on and we wouldn't have struggled through 3 "experimentation" stages. Pau and Dwight got the ball where they were best(dwight had a 33-13 game while being 20% of himself), Nash would have been the one getting all the wide open 3s Morris was getting and Kobe would be main facilitator. Brown pretty much said he expected the team to go 0-3 before thoings started clicking to an extent. Sure enough the 4th game was when we curb stomped detroit and thew 5th game we SJHOULD have beaten the Jazz, we got any kind of shot we wanted and a lot of open looks, we just didn't convert them and the team was going through the "oh well, if we lose we'll win 9 straight eventually" mode.

So yes we'd have made the playoffs. But we'd still be the 5th or 6th seed at best given the initial adjustment period.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,808 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:36 PM

...All i know is if we had hired PJ instead of MDA, we would be in better position than right now

#14 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,690 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Absolutely, he was the better coach despite his 1-12 record (preseason included). I think Buss and Kupchak pulled the trigger too early. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#15 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,868 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:51 PM

https://twitter.com/...970985403060224

Remember the Lakers miraculous health last season? Mike Brown got that to a .621 clip. With just about every injury, MDA put in .548

2012/2013

Brown 1-4

Bernie 4-1

MDA 39-32

Gasol missed 33 games

Nash missed 32 games

Hill missed 53 games

Blake missed 37 games

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#16 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,402 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:00 PM

The firing was too early, but that was because the fo thought its a brutally start, had they knew we would be struggling down the road, Mike Brown was the safe pick despite the financial terms.

We ran an offense that didnt fit well because of the chemistry issue .. If Brown was here i think we'd be balanced between defense and offense more than being 6th in O and late 20 in D ..

And I heard that time Brown was about to change the princeton offense..

In comparison, MDA had the advantage of having a healthier Dwight, and a better chemistry .. But you never know what would've happened, we might've been top 5 or 9th ..

#17 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,001 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:01 PM

https://twitter.com/...970985403060224

2012/2013

Brown 1-4

Bernie 4-1

MDA 39-32

Gasol missed 33 games

Nash missed 32 games

Hill missed 53 games

Blake missed 37 games

Exactly. Mike brown had a good team. Maybe not championship worthy being that the bench was horrible but everyone played all season. Especially bynum. I mean that season made bynums career. I am confidant that if we had the dwight we had now all season we would have hit over 50 wins. Dwight was a non factor for nearly half this season it seemed. I mean he helped but he would rarely have games like he has now.

#18 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,420 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Kobe probably wouldn't have been injured, and Pau's trade value wouldn't have gone down so much

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#19 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,302 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:19 PM

Easily. Brown preached and worked hard on defense - He also played to our strengths (i.e. our bigs).

Edited by leor_77, April 18, 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#20 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 1,897 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Yes, I think the Lakers would have still make the playoffs. Also, Brown would not make some bogus comments like D'Antoni.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users