#61 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:13 AM

I don't care about names, just bring in a defensive-minded PG and an athletic and scoring wing.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,022 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:17 AM

I agree about Batum. But, the Lakers also have to make a big move to compete again. Getting role players isn't going to get it done.

Lakers don't need a "big move" -_-  

They don't need another star.

They need role players that fit the team.

That's why Webster fits so well and is pretty much "the guy" that we should go after.  He's perfect for our bench.

Our starting lineup doesn't need any tweaking at the positions we'd be able to "afford".  Our bench 2/3 is weak.  Webster takes care of that and can create his own shot while stretching the floor and off the dribble while also being 26 and athletic and 6'7 not 6'2.  

He's not a "star" but he doesn't need to be, not on this team.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#63 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Lakers don't need a "big move" -_-  

They don't need another star.

They need role players that fit the team.

That's why Webster fits so well and is pretty much "the guy" that we should go after.  He's perfect for our bench.

Our starting lineup doesn't need any tweaking at the positions we'd be able to "afford".  Our bench 2/3 is weak.  Webster takes care of that and can create his own shot while stretching the floor and off the dribble while also being 26 and athletic and 6'7 not 6'2.  

He's not a "star" but he doesn't need to be, not on this team.

It took Kobe playing entire games for the Lakers to sneak into the playoffs. And with his future now uncertain, there's absolutely no question that the Lakers need to make a big move.

Posted Image

#64 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 922 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:54 AM

A player like Ramon Sessions could have grown well with this team and Dwight.

#65 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:04 AM

A player like Ramon Sessions could have grown well with this team and Dwight.

It's easy to say in hindsight, but there's nothing Nash brought this season that Sessions didn't last season. He was just as good during the regular season, which is all that Nash has done as well. I think his dribble penetration would've helped this team more than anything Nash has done.

Posted Image

#66 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,465 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Lakers should wait til 2014 and go after some real players. They are more than one move away from anything significant without even considering Kobe's injury which could be a lot worse than everyone on here seems to think.

#67 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Lakers should wait til 2014 and go after some real players. They are more than one move away from anything significant without even considering Kobe's injury which could be a lot worse than everyone on here seems to think.

It'll be difficult to do, but I think the Lakers could try to improve without sacrificing 2014 cap space. This means getting mostly players whose contracts expire after next season. If the Lakers find players worth sacrificing cap space for, at least keep enough space for one max open.

It's just tough to sacrifice a year without doing anything with all the payroll being paid already. It would probably drive Dwight Howard away too. To me, the Lakers should make moves in advance to try to convince him to stay.

It's time to move Pau. The Lakers should at least do that.

Edited by Japago, April 22, 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Posted Image

#68 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 11:52 AM

I bash people who use injuries as the only excuse as to why the Lakers struggled, but I think it was a factor to a certain extent. Better health and roster upgrades would improve this team a lot. Combine that with a coaching change, and I actually believe the Lakers could reasonably compete next year depending on Kobe's health.

I know the Lakers are likely to keep MDA, but I think it's still worth it to try to upgrade the roster and hope it works out.

The Lakers shouldn't go in guns-blazing and take in a lot of money beyond next season. I think I can agree to that.

Edited by Japago, April 22, 2013 - 12:06 PM.

Posted Image

#69 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,022 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:44 PM

It took Kobe playing entire games for the Lakers to sneak into the playoffs. And with his future now uncertain, there's absolutely no question that the Lakers need to make a big move.

No, they don't. You can surround Dwight with role players and be successful.

If we had Webster subbing in for Kobe I guarantee his minutes(kobe) would go down.

#70 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:42 PM

When the Magic made the finals with Dwight, Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis were all-stars and Hedo Turkoglu was a very good player.

Dwight surrounded by role players wouldn't come close to competing for a title. Not even Lebron can be surrounded by role players alone and compete.

Posted Image

#71 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,022 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:48 PM

When the Magic made the finals with Dwight, Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis were all-stars and Hedo Turkoglu was a very good player.

Dwight surrounded by role players wouldn't come close to competing for a title. Not even Lebron can be surrounded by role players alone and compete.

They became all-stars because Dwight's ability to find them wide open jumpers when we played inside out.

Since we're an "inside-out" team while Kobe is out.  You put guys like Webster around Dwight while getting Nash wide open shots(the kind he got the other night and would make if he had his legs) they won't be all-stars but they'll be enough.   That plus we'll probably be keeping Gasol next year.

Kobe is likely returning by the start of next season as well and we can play inside out to December to be successful if Kobe returns on the Christmas game instead.

Nash
Kobe
Metta/Clark
Gasol
Dwight

bench of

Blake
Meeks/Webster
Webster/Clark
Hill
Gasol/Dwight

Is just fine for us.  

The next important thing is just to stay healthy.

#72 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:56 PM

They became all-stars because Dwight's ability to find them wide open jumpers when we played inside out.

Since we're an "inside-out" team while Kobe is out.  You put guys like Webster around Dwight while getting Nash wide open shots(the kind he got the other night and would make if he had his legs) they won't be all-stars but they'll be enough.   That plus we'll probably be keeping Gasol next year.

Kobe is likely returning by the start of next season as well and we can play inside out to December to be successful if Kobe returns on the Christmas game instead.

Nash
Kobe
Metta/Clark
Gasol
Dwight

bench of

Blake
Meeks/Webster
Webster/Clark
Hill
Gasol/Dwight

Is just fine for us.  

The next important thing is just to stay healthy.

Hedo and Rashard had great years before they played with Dwight. Dwight took their games to a new level, but they were easily better than anything the Lakers have that isn't Dwight or Kobe.

It's still not good enough. There's a reason why the Lakers lose even when everybody was healthy with this roster. Nash is nothing more than a role player these days. I still don't trust Pau. Everybody else on the team that I haven't mentioned hasn't contributed consistently for years.

The Lakers need significant change to the roster, not just the addition of a role player like Martell Webster.

Posted Image

#73 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,022 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hedo and Rashard had great years before they played with Dwight. Dwight took their games to a new level, but they were easily better than anything the Lakers have that isn't Dwight or Kobe.

It's still not good enough. There's a reason why the Lakers lose even when everybody was healthy with this roster. Nash is nothing more than a role player these days. I still don't trust Pau. Everybody else on the team that I haven't mentioned hasn't contributed consistently for years.

The Lakers need significant change to the roster, not just the addition of a role player like Martell Webster.

Thing is Webster is a significant change to the roster.

Our 1s and 2s for the past 2 or 3 years have been pretty much the same size as well as not really being shot creators.

One thing Webster has is he is 6'7 very athletic 2/3, that can stretch the floor and create his own shot.   You'd be very amazed how much it would change our team dynamics adding someone like that to our bench.

We don't need to waste money on another "star" 

One thing you need to learn is that the last thing the Lakers need is to be more "top heavy" than they already are. 

The starting lineup isn't the problem,. it's the bench depth.

The reason we struggled the way we did through early injuries is because of our lack of bench depth.  And what turned a lot of our season around was finding that diamond in the ruff in Earl Clark, he helped us into a lot of victories and showed us basically how one guy stepping up on that bench can change the dynamic.  The same can be said of Jamison.

The thing is, adding another "star" just makes this team even more top heavy.  What we need is to deepen the bench so that in case injuries occur to our stars we have a bench deep enough or someone on that bench deep enough that can be relied on to score when such situations happen. 

Webster could be that  and he wouldn't cost us a lot of money either.  That's the kind of guy you want to go for.

You AREN'T getting another "star" with the kind of money you have unless you're trading someone like Gasol, role players are all we're gonna get till 2014, so you have to realistically focus on that. 

And realistically one of the best role players we can add to this team is Martell Webster.  You have to be realistic here. 

You aren't gonna convince Monta to sign here with the back end of the MLE you're giving to Meeks.  And you're not gonna bring anyone "star worthy" here with an MLE or a veterans minimum. 

So if you're being realistic you go after Webster.  IF you try to bet all your chips on a '"star" coming here for an MLE and you let washington re-sign Webster and miss out on that "star" you wind up looking like an idiot.

#74 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:12 PM

as long as pau/mwp/nash are together in our starting lineup; we'll be a mediocre defensive team at best. 3 slowest guys at their positions; to compensate for that, we'd have to play with an unreal amount of energy on D - its proven we cant do that

trade pau for a quick wing - SG or SF doesnt matter; kobe might lose a step and be a Sf next year.

adding a quick wing + a quick PF in earl clark would improve our D so much.

also, our O would be great with 3 wings who can create - trade pau for that wing.

#75 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:11 PM

as long as pau/mwp/nash are together in our starting lineup; we'll be a mediocre defensive team at best. 3 slowest guys at their positions; to compensate for that, we'd have to play with an unreal amount of energy on D - its proven we cant do that

trade pau for a quick wing - SG or SF doesnt matter; kobe might lose a step and be a Sf next year.

adding a quick wing + a quick PF in earl clark would improve our D so much.

also, our O would be great with 3 wings who can create - trade pau for that wing.

If Nash can be traded, I'm all for that. I don't think he has much value right now though if the rumors about his permanent health issues are correct and his contract lasting 2 more seasons.

I think Pau, the MLE, and vet's minimum should be used to get a SG, SF, and a PF. A solid SG who can start while Kobe is gone, a good SF who can create for himself and others, and a PF to replace Pau in the rotation.

I don't think the Lakers or any team can get a star with the MLE. That's pretty obvious.

I'm not saying the Lakers are going to get a star for Pau, but not role players either. I'm talking about getting a player who has contributed consistently throughout his career like a Danny Granger for example. I wanted him for most of this season, but his injury issues are troublesome.

Edited by Japago, April 22, 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Posted Image

#76 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Bring in Dorrel Wright or martell webster or someone similar and we will be alright. Toronto has also not discussed a contract extension on Kyle Lowry. Perhaps wait till hes available in 2014? 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users