Photo

Is it criminal if both Kobe and Shaq win one regular season MVP a piece?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:34 AM

MVP is a media award that they league has in place to make the media feel that they are valued and important to the league. 

It's a business hand shake exercise in ego messaging. 

You have a bunch of people who are afforded an opinion vote even those people  never played in the league or played professional sports. 

I fully understand the intent of the MVP award. I dislike the voting group who determines it. 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#22 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 18, 2013 - 11:04 AM

There's no definition for the MVP award, which is why it seems so arbitrary at times and is basically given to whoever the media loves. In my opinion, the MVP should be given to the best player in the league (since there's no award for that anyways and the MVP is meaningless as is), meaning Shaq should have had a few more and Kobe should have had it every year from 2003-2010. 

#23 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,469 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 20, 2013 - 01:12 AM

Shaq and Kobe only winning one each says more about the MVP award than it does about Kobe and Shaq.

The MVP is given to the player most responsible for the team's success. IMO Kobe was the best player in the world in a long stretch in the early 2000s before LBJ took it over. At the time when Kobe was the best, the guys who won the MVP simply played on better teams.

#24 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,374 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 20, 2013 - 02:21 AM

They screwed Kobe one year because of the Colorado thing. How the hell did Magic or Kareem not have 5 MVP's?? How did Karl Malone have just 1?? (MJ or no MJ) How does Scottie Pippin have zero??  The MVP is Media Business BS

Edited by lakersince75, April 20, 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#25 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 467 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted April 20, 2013 - 02:58 AM

Here is my issue with this statement. Not you personally but people say lebron has the chance to be the GOAT but Kobe doesnt...how can lerbon have the chance with 2 finals loses but kobe with 5 rings and 2 finals loses doesnt have the same chance. Honestly regardless if kobe wins 6 or not he still wont be considered to be the GOAT top 10 sure maybe top 5 but the media will always discredit him by virtue of stats and awards which they give to other players 

In my opinion i feel like people say LeBron can be Goat because if he wins lets say 3 or 4 rings the chances of him getting the FMVP are high since he's only 28. Kobe does have 5 rings but he only has 2 FMVP. Then a lot of people are also saying that Kobe holds the worst FMVP performances. Im not really sure about this since I never really had the time to search it up.

#26 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,469 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 20, 2013 - 04:53 AM

In my opinion i feel like people say LeBron can be Goat because if he wins lets say 3 or 4 rings the chances of him getting the FMVP are high since he's only 28. Kobe does have 5 rings but he only has 2 FMVP. Then a lot of people are also saying that Kobe holds the worst FMVP performances. Im not really sure about this since I never really had the time to search it up.

One thing you and most others have forgot is that LBJ have lost in the Finals twice - the last one against Dallas being one of the biggest choke performances in NBA history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users