Photo

Is it criminal if both Kobe and Shaq win one regular season MVP a piece?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 17, 2013 - 05:44 PM

The problem with the MVP award is its ''politics'' the popularity game because they change the criteria for the winner every single year. They change the criteria every single year to justify the selection or to spite another player. 

Here are criteria i have heard through out the year to select the MVP 

-The MVP is the player who makes his teammates better 

- The MVP is the player who plays on both ends of the floor 

- The MVP is the best player on the best team 

- The MVP is the player who does the most with the least 

ect 

Here is my issue how will this look at the end of the day to the credibility of the award 

-Kobe has been regarded by his peers to be the best player of his generation yet only has 1 regular season mvp 

REASONS the media has used to justify kobe only having 1 

- He is playing with shaq

- He is playing with too much talent  gasol , odom, bynum  only one of them was an allstar 

- Can you think of any others 

Here is the problem with that reasoning 

-Lebron is about to win his 4th regular season MVP and is playing with 2 franchise pieces 

- Nash has 2 MVPS and we know he does make teammates better but has never played on both ends 

-Dirk has 1 MVP he has been the best player on the best team but one can hardly say he makes his teammates better or plays on both ends 

I could continue with examples but i will stop for now 

So if kobe cant win MVP'S only playing with 1 all star  and lebron can win 2 MVP'S playing with 2 allstars what does that say about the credibility of the award 

lebron has a good season but lets be serious here. Derrick rose got the MVP the year after the ''decision'' because the media was mad at lebron 

-Bulls finished with the best record 

-statistically lebron had the better season over rose 

-heat finished 2nd 

-Last season Bulls finished 1st again 

- Rose was injured 

-heat finished 2nd again but lebron wins the mvp 

see the flip flop hypocrisy of the media

Lets face it the media has always tried to find ways to NOT give kobe the  MVP  

- the team didnt win 50 games 

- he is playing with too much talent; in reality kobe has won a ring with only one all star per championship

- he doesnt shoot 50 percent 

- he doesnt make his teammates better 

-ect 

The fact Kobe won the award in 2008 was almost a pity life time achievement award by the media

The media will give lebron the MVP every single year and justify it with whichever criteria 

YES YES i know its regular season MVP'S but you know the Jordan fanboys how they are when we talk Jordan and kobe discussions; they always site awards for there argument 

and the fact of the matter is kobe has been slighted by the media since 2004 colorado 

Historically this is how it will look 

Jordan - 5MVP  6 rings 

Lebron - 4MVP  1 ring  probably soon to be 2 

Duncan -2MVP  4 rings 

Nash -2 MVP 0 ring

Dirk- 1MVP   1 ring

Kobe-1MVP 5 rings 

Shaq- 1MVP 4 rings 

This is a noticeable gap ratio of rings to championships 

How can you be regarded as the best player for an entire generation and only be rewarded with 1 regular season MVP is mind blowing 

Any addition thoughts regarding the post 

Edited by UNLABORED FLAWLESS, April 17, 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,101 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah but Kobe won't care.

The era he came up in was one where the MVP lost its meaning and "Finals MVP" was the only one he cared about.

So I'm sure its fine with him.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yeah but Kobe won't care.

The era he came up in was one where the MVP lost its meaning and "Finals MVP" was the only one he cared about.

So I'm sure its fine with him.

I know kobe wont care but the lebron james fanboys will always use awards in there argument to suggest he is better. You know the media will use this as ammo to argue the point, and at the same time overlook the evidence i came up with to expose the credibility of the award 

#4 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Look, Lebron James may very well end up being the best player to ever play the game.  He is, in my opinion, the most physically gifted player to ever play in the modern era.  But there's no way to judge that until his career is over.  You can't compare 34-yr-old Kobe to 28-yr-old Lebron.  

#5 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,707 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:17 PM

I know. It's so sad how they find every damn excuse not to give it to Kobe...

#6 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,707 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Look, Lebron James may very well end up being the best player to ever play the game.  He is, in my opinion, the most physically gifted player to ever play in the modern era.  But there's no way to judge that until his career is over.  You can't compare 34-yr-old Kobe to 28-yr-old Lebron.  

When Kobe was 28, he was dropping 81 points in a single game...

#7 LakersCeb

LakersCeb

Rookie

• 95 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Cant wait to see lebron in his 30s and see if he can compete at a high level like kobe does. and from there we decide who is better

#8 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Here is my issue with this statement. Not you personally but people say lebron has the chance to be the GOAT but Kobe doesnt...how can lerbon have the chance with 2 finals loses but kobe with 5 rings and 2 finals loses doesnt have the same chance. Honestly regardless if kobe wins 6 or not he still wont be considered to be the GOAT top 10 sure maybe top 5 but the media will always discredit him by virtue of stats and awards which they give to other players 

#9 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:45 PM

MVP award system is completely flawed, mostly due to it being a media-driven award. The "requirements" to being a candidate change every other season depending on what they're looking for. Hell, Karl Malone even won one over Jordan in the late 90s just because they were tired of handing them out to him. It's a joke.

#10 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:58 PM

MVP award system is completely flawed, mostly due to it being a media-driven award. The "requirements" to being a candidate change every other season depending on what they're looking for. Hell, Karl Malone even won one over Jordan in the late 90s just because they were tired of handing them out to him. It's a joke.

Lebron getting 2 in cleveland meh whatever but giving him 2 more in miami is criminal. There is no way to justify it especially when hearing the excuses why to not give it to kobe 

lebron can play with 2 allstar franchise players and still be the mvp yet kobe can play with 1 all star and get shafted 

its a joke 

durant should have won it last year. 

#11 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,525 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Kobe should probably have at least 2, and had a good chance at a third.

I'm of the opinion that both Kobe and Shaq were snubbed when Nash won the award.

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,920 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:44 PM

In the long run it doesn't matter.

However, it is criminal Kobe is sitting on only one.  The media didn't like him when he was young because he was aloof and sat in the corner of the locker room while a gregarious Shaq had the media falling over themselves to talk to him.  That image of Kobe, never wavered for the media.  They developed a grudge then, and its stuck to this day.

When Kobe retires and his career is looked back on, those who denied him the 2 other MVP's he should have will kick themselves.

The en tire MVP debacle is ridiculous anyway.  its an incredibly biased award that should be voted on by the players and coaches, not the media.  Way too much luggage brought along with that voting.  Players and coaches should vote for it with the caveat that they can't vote for themselves or anyone on their team.

P.S. - Nash deserved it both times he won it.

#13 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted April 18, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Kobe should of gotten in 03, 06, 10, 13

Debatable years are 07 and 09.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#14 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,256 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 18, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Kobe got absolutely robbed in the 2000's

#15 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 383 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:28 AM

In the 1988 season, Jordan was probably at his apex in terms of athletic ability. He was the first scoring champ AND DPOY in NBA history and was honestly the best player in the league. His team won 50 games in a conference that had the FOURTH seed winning 42 games, they had 2 teams that had less than 40 wins (38) in the playoffs! Magic was averaging 19, 12 and 6 for the best team in the league (62 wins and the eventual champs). Larry had the best record in his conference and averaged 30, 9 and 6 shooting above the 50/40/90 mark! Isiah was averaging 19.5 and 8 assists on the second best team in the east and end up making it all the way to a game 7 in the finals.

My point is these guys all were MUCH better versions than the Steve Nash that won it (Great numbers on a great team) yet they still awarded it to the hands down best player in the planet putting together a historic season. Why they didn't do the same to a guy that was CLEARLY heads and shoulders above every player in the league in 2006 was beyond me. You couldn't award all time legends that were in the same position that Nash was over Jordan yet Nash did enough to oversee what Kobe did that year? Toughest missed year to swallow IMO

#16 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,448 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Cant wait to see lebron in his 30s and see if he can compete at a high level like kobe does. and from there we decide who is better

I can't wait to see his hairline in his 30s. You kidding me?!

veqdeg.jpg

#17 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,241 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:35 AM

I can't wait to see his hairline in his 30s. You kidding me?!

He'll be wearing a beanie instead of a headband.

I still firmly believe Kobe was robbed in 2006. You could make cases for other years, but 2006 sticks out the most.

Posted Image

#18 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,126 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Finals MVP only matters to me. Kobe has 2 and Shaq has 3. So I'm good 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#19 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:52 AM

its business as usual. back then they didnt want to celebrate 2 best guys on same team. nowadays we know that is not the case. Remember when kobe was to young in peoples mind to win MVP & fast forward to DRose winning = now that argument is gone also. The MVP is an award they changed the criteria for every so many years to make sure Kobe didnt win. Media manipulation helped with each new excuse

but lets not forget NBA doesnt give Lakers many MVP

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#20 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:29 AM

tl, dr but yeah. Criminal. Kobe should have 3 imo, Shaq should have won the year Orlando went to the finals

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users