PJ, a lot of our success in that second half of the season has hinged on three things:
1) Kobe having to play 40+ minutes a night, putting up huge scoring games and being primary facilitator as well.
2) Dwight getting healthier, and finally getting the ball in better positions.
3) Gasol posting up more.
All three of those things...were actually opposing Mike D'Antoni's direction. The third (Gasol's posting up) came directly from Kobe.
Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Jamison, Artest...they are up there in age, and won't be getting any younger. We need a coach that can make the best out of this roster, playing offense AND defense the way an older team should play, and Mike isn't that guy.
D'Antoni is anti-post (bad for Dwight and Gasol), anti-preservation (bad for Kobe), pro-uptempo (bad for older players, including Nash now), and anti-defense (bad for this entire roster). He's not the one.
Mike Brown would be better for this team, and I can't stand him.
1) Fair enough but we didnt have alternatives so he had to play Kobe 40 mins a game...Duhon, Morris clearly wont be in the NBA next year and we had an open roster spot and didnt get some SG/SF help. Thats on FO
2) Dwight definitely got healthier but after Dr. Buss died and he attended the funeral his whole attitude changed he worked much harder on defense you can tell hes not quite 100% but we can see him try much harder than he did in beginning of season
3) Pau in 1st half of season gave up the post to guys like Hill and Jamison and content with launching jumpers he was not healthy at all, he came back after the injury and looked much better
Im not saying MDA is perfect but he did the best he could given the amount of injuries we've suffered and the limitations on the roster. If there is a better coach available Im all for canning MDA, I dont think Phil is available so we're better off keeping MDA and this continuity.