Photo

Mike D'Antoni returning as Lakers coach next year?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Glass half full: I hear you MDI. Maybe a relatively healthy roster and a full camp and we can get 55 wins next year.

Glass half empty: Our record versus playoff teams is abysmal. We've had losses we clearly should have won. Team seems like a rudderless ship at times.

But we haven't had our healthy roster vs those teams though right? Pau's played only 49, Nash only 44. Theres only 2-3 elite teams in the League and unfortunately our guys havent been healthy when playing them

Just think about it our record would be good for 5th in the East. We have gotten so much better despite the injuries piling

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#22 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 922 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:10 PM

But we haven't had our healthy roster vs those teams though right? Pau's played only 49, Nash only 44. Theres only 2-3 elite teams in the League and unfortunately our guys havent been healthy when playing them

Just think about it our record would be good for 5th in the East. We have gotten so much better despite the injuries piling

Definitely, I just hope he can become a playoff coach, rather than a "we will average 110 ppg" coach.

I just think that if you give this team to any other coach currently in the playoff run, we would be way higher than fighting for 8th seed.

Edited by LakersFanatic, April 17, 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:21 PM

PJ, a lot of our success in that second half of the season has hinged on three things:

1) Kobe having to play 40+ minutes a night, putting up huge scoring games and being primary facilitator as well.

2) Dwight getting healthier, and finally getting the ball in better positions.

3) Gasol posting up more.

All three of those things...were actually opposing Mike D'Antoni's direction.  The third (Gasol's posting up) came directly from Kobe.

Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Jamison, Artest...they are up there in age, and won't be getting any younger.  We need a coach that can make the best out of this roster, playing offense AND defense the way an older team should play, and Mike isn't that guy.

D'Antoni is anti-post (bad for Dwight and Gasol), anti-preservation (bad for Kobe), pro-uptempo (bad for older players, including Nash now), and anti-defense (bad for this entire roster).  He's not the one.

Mike Brown would be better for this team, and I can't stand him.

#24 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Ugh...that was very painful, giving credit to Brown.

#25 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,086 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Even if we somehow won the championship this year, people would still look for ways to say MDA had zero to do with it so what's the point of discussing?

#26 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:39 PM

Even if we somehow won the championship this year, people would still look for ways to say MDA had zero to do with it so what's the point of discussing?

If we won the championship this year I would be all for bringing MDA back. For those defending MDA, just listen to what the players are saying now. Pau basically said to the media that MDA was wrong about him and Dwight playing together. Dwight only talks about defense. Kobe talked about forcing the ball into the post.

Hopefully at least if the front office wants to keep MDA they tell him he has to figure out how to play through the post. I don't mind some pick and rolls as well particularly how Duncan and Parker run it (some high post touches mixed in with pick & roll) but he can't be so opposed to working the ball into the post. Teach the players how to make the pass that leads to the post entry pass.

#27 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,086 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:52 PM

If we won the championship this year I would be all for bringing MDA back. For those defending MDA, just listen to what the players are saying now. Pau basically said to the media that MDA was wrong about him and Dwight playing together. Dwight only talks about defense. Kobe talked about forcing the ball into the post.

Hopefully at least if the front office wants to keep MDA they tell him he has to figure out how to play through the post. I don't mind some pick and rolls as well particularly how Duncan and Parker run it (some high post touches mixed in with pick & roll) but he can't be so opposed to working the ball into the post. Teach the players how to make the pass that leads to the post entry pass.

I'm not defending D'Antoni. If there's a better coach available next year then I'm all for it assuming we can give them training camp and everything. I think MDA does some good things at coaching but also does a ton of things poorly (clearly). I've thought the whole season he had been misusing the pieces on this team like 99% of the world who watches basketball.

I just think if you hire a guy for HIS offense, and he starts to run HIS offense how can you get mad at him when it doesn't work? It's not his fault it doesn't work with the players we have. If you're hired to do something and told to do it the way you've done in the past how is it your fault that it doesn't work at the new place?

At the end of the day I just think it's ridiculous and how unfair a lot of the people on this board are. MDA gets paid millions of dollars to freaking coach basketball so I don't feel bad for him 1 bit but I find it stupid to get mad at the guy for trying to recreate something that worked in the past somewhere else when that's explicitly what he was hired to do.

It took him a while but he finally changed his ways and I think I even heard a quote from him the other day admitting he used Pau wrong. Could potentially lose us even getting into the playoffs this season but at the end of the day if you consider how tough he's had it this year I'd say he's done a good job. No training camp, NONSTOP injuries. Every starter has missed games. 

So again, what's the point of discussing anything about MDA. If the team starts doing well the people on here just take the credit away and give it to someone else.

#28 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:02 PM

PJ, a lot of our success in that second half of the season has hinged on three things:

1) Kobe having to play 40+ minutes a night, putting up huge scoring games and being primary facilitator as well.

2) Dwight getting healthier, and finally getting the ball in better positions.

3) Gasol posting up more.

All three of those things...were actually opposing Mike D'Antoni's direction.  The third (Gasol's posting up) came directly from Kobe.

Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Jamison, Artest...they are up there in age, and won't be getting any younger.  We need a coach that can make the best out of this roster, playing offense AND defense the way an older team should play, and Mike isn't that guy.

D'Antoni is anti-post (bad for Dwight and Gasol), anti-preservation (bad for Kobe), pro-uptempo (bad for older players, including Nash now), and anti-defense (bad for this entire roster).  He's not the one.

Mike Brown would be better for this team, and I can't stand him.

1) Fair enough but we didnt have alternatives so he had to play Kobe 40 mins a game...Duhon, Morris clearly wont be in the NBA next year and we had an open roster spot and didnt get some SG/SF help. Thats on FO

2) Dwight definitely got healthier but after Dr. Buss died and he attended the funeral his whole attitude changed he worked much harder on defense you can tell hes not quite 100% but we can see him try much harder than he did in beginning of season

3) Pau in 1st half of season gave up the post to guys like Hill and Jamison and content with launching jumpers he was not healthy at all, he came back after the injury and looked much better

Im not saying MDA is perfect but he did the best he could given the amount of injuries we've suffered and the limitations on the roster.  If there is a better coach available Im all for canning MDA, I dont think Phil is available so we're better off keeping MDA and this continuity. 

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#29 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:04 PM

In the beginning of the season Pau wasn't playing well at all, he wasn't productive in the post...heck he shot 63% from the free throw line for the month of January, go figure. Pau was a complete mess in the 1st half of the season

He came back in March, was productive and MDA said ok lets ride this

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#30 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,347 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:20 PM

1) Fair enough but we didnt have alternatives so he had to play Kobe 40 mins a game...Duhon, Morris clearly wont be in the NBA next year and we had an open roster spot and didnt get some SG/SF help. Thats on FO

2) Dwight definitely got healthier but after Dr. Buss died and he attended the funeral his whole attitude changed he worked much harder on defense you can tell hes not quite 100% but we can see him try much harder than he did in beginning of season

3) Pau in 1st half of season gave up the post to guys like Hill and Jamison and content with launching jumpers he was not healthy at all, he came back after the injury and looked much better

Im not saying MDA is perfect but he did the best he could given the amount of injuries we've suffered and the limitations on the roster.  If there is a better coach available Im all for canning MDA, I dont think Phil is available so we're better off keeping MDA and this continuity. 

So, you are trying to tell me that Blake or Meeks can't come in for 4 min each quarter? That's lessens Kobe min's to 32-36 mins a game 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:30 PM

Dwight will have a lot to say about this.

#countonDwight

yo.

#32 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Alternatives?

Brian Shaw
Byron Scott
Kurt Rambis
Rick Adelman
Jerry Sloan
Nate McMillian
Me
Real Deal
Natalia Bryant
Kenny Smith
Juicy J
Phil Jackson of course

Pau Gasol is GONE

#33 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,875 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 17, 2013 - 02:41 PM

The Lakers have had success despite the robust efforts of Dantoni to make things implode.  Like other posters have said, being wretched against any good teams is not an indicator of success.  Dantoni is not the answer.  If the Lakers can do this as a ship without a captain, imagine what a legitimate coach could do with this team. Danotni is like Coach Klein without his playbook in the championship game. 

#34 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,960 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 17, 2013 - 02:56 PM

If pau and MDA stay next season WIndu might go on a killing rampage. 

#35 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 17, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Lakers got too much pride. They believe they can win it all without PJ. But they too stubborn to say it.

#36 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 17, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Alternative?

Juicy J

Fixed.

Edited by TheSuperbeast, April 17, 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#37 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 17, 2013 - 03:48 PM

I Would actually like to see how good Phil actually would do if he coached a team without a bunch of Superstar talent. A team like the Bulls this year or Indiana. Or a team like Detroit when Rasheed and the boys killed us. Milwaukee would be interesting too. This goes for Pat Riley also. It would be interesting to see Philadelphia run the triangle next year with Bynum.

#38 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 17, 2013 - 03:51 PM

No matter who the coach is, Old Non athletic injured players don't win championships. Phil lost Championships with great teams and so did Pat Riley.

The Lakers have had success despite the robust efforts of Dantoni to make things implode.  Like other posters have said, being wretched against any good teams is not an indicator of success.  Dantoni is not the answer.  If the Lakers can do this as a ship without a captain, imagine what a legitimate coach could do with this team. Danotni is like Coach Klein without his playbook in the championship game. 

#39 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted April 17, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Phil or no Phil I don't care just get rid of this clown we have disguised as the Laker head coach. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users