Photo

Mike D'Antoni returning as Lakers coach next year?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:35 AM

http://espn.go.com/l...ive-sources-say

After nearly two seasons in retirement, Phil Jackson has become increasingly interested in working in the NBA next season, according to sources familiar with his thinking.

That doesn't necessarily mean a return to coaching, as Jackson is known to be intrigued by the concept of moving into management for the first time in his career

mike-dantoni-phil-jackson.jpg?w=300&h=43

But sources told ESPN.com this week that Jackson is "itching" to go back to work after a long spell to recharge since leaving the Los Angeles Lakers' bench following the 2010-11 season.

Sources stressed that there is no specific opportunity in play yet for Jackson, who resisted coaching overtures from the Brooklyn Nets earlier this season and told longtime confidant Charley Rosen in January in a SheridanHoops.com story that he "has no intention of ever coaching again."

But NBA coaching sources say that stance will not dissuade teams with openings from approaching

Jackson this offseason to gauge his interest, with the Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers -- who interviewed Jackson in 2005 and are known to be contemplating a coaching change -- potentially at the top of the list.

What has Jackson really intrigued, sources say, is the opportunity to oversee an organization in the patriarchal style of Pat Riley with the Miami Heat or in a role similar to that previously held by Larry Bird with the Indiana Pacers.

But it remains to be seen if a team will give him that sort of chance, given that the 67-year-old Jackson is the most successful coach in league history with 11 championship rings and has never held a prominent NBA personnel job.

There's always the chance, sources said, that Jackson will simply stay retired if none of the opportunities that arise proves to be the right fit.

But the presumption in league coaching circles is that teams with openings this offseason will naturally reach out to the most decorated coach available to see if there's any hope of persuading him to coach again, especially since it appears that the Lakers don't have a suitable role to offer Jackson at this time.

Although Jackson did speak with Lakers management about replacing Mike Brown in November before the club hired Mike D'Antoni instead, sources maintain that a return to Los Angeles is highly unlikely.

The Lakers' intent, sources insist, is bringing D'Antoni back next season to give him the chance to coach the team with a full training camp and a healthy roster. Pau Gasol and Steve Nash both missed more than 30 games this season, and Kobe Bryant suffered a season-ending Achilles' tear this past weekend.

There would also appear to be little room for Jackson in the Lakers' front office, with vice president Jim Buss and longtime general manager Mitch Kupchak running the team.

Finances are another factor, since the Lakers would be paying top dollar for three coaches at once if they decided to replace D'Antoni after one season and turned to Jackson.

Jackson's engagement to Lakers executive vice president Jeanie Buss, sources say, is not believed to be a factor in determining Jackson's next stop.

Edited by MDI, April 17, 2013 - 09:40 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,117 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:39 AM

boo

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 400 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:39 AM

Intent doesn't mean is going to..

At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.. This team needs an extreme home makeover and it starts with the coach and doesn't end there..

#4 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Doubt he will leave but i sure hope he does
Posted Image

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,384 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Even if not in a coaching capacity, Jim Buss would be wise to add Phil to the front office in some role.

#6 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 236 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:50 AM

[expletive] no!

Posted Image

#7 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,144 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Cleveland Cavs? Serious? No way Phil is thinking of coaching in cleaveland.  Irving is great and all but Cleaveland?  It will ruined Phil's image. Its like Phil Jackson coaching the bobcats.   The only team that I see Phil could coach is the Knicks or the Nets with that Russian mafia owner. Other than that, he probably stayed retired and hope Mike D suck going into 10 game and have the lakers do another Mike Brown. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#8 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,790 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Please...make...it...stop!

Impossible is nothing.

#9 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,771 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Mike is trash. We all know this. Even if they make the playoffs and get swept, this season has been a complete disaster. I think the team wants Dwight more than mda

#10 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Management stood behind Mike Brown until he got fired. I think post-season interviews with Pau and Dwight will mean a lot. Also they'll have to know that Phil is going to come in before they fire D'Antoni. I don't know of any other coach that would satisfy the fan base -- they might as well keep D'Antoni rather than hire some other guy.

#11 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Noooo...get rid of MDA

#12 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,682 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Dear god I hope we don't have this clown here next season...

Posted Image

#13 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you're gonna say you dont want him here, name an alternative

This isn't like Mike Brown case where its positive just by getting rid of him...Brown showed zero progress from training camp to regular season. Zero

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#14 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,460 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Alternatives?

Brian Shaw
Byron Scott
Kurt Rambis
Rick Adelman
Jerry Sloan
Nate McMillian
Me
Real Deal
Natalia Bryant
Kenny Smith
Juicy J
Phil Jackson of course
iyjywo.jpg

#15 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:32 AM

^lol forreal come on Mass

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#16 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Brian Shaw is good enough.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#17 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 400 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:42 AM

If you're gonna say you dont want him here, name an alternative

This isn't like Mike Brown case where its positive just by getting rid of him...Brown showed zero progress from training camp to regular season. Zero

People I'd prefer..

Scott
Shaw
Nate Mac
Bernie
JVG
Sloan
PJ
Coach K
Coach Cal

The list is endless really. I've just lost faith in MDT. Even with the injuries we lost games we should have easily won over much weaker rosters.

I agree he will be back. I'm not saying I'm going to like it tho. And if we end up hoisting the Larry Obrien soon, I will gladly sit down to a four course plate of crow..

#18 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Think about it, we were 17-25, we've goen 27-12 in the last 39 games to be at 44-37 now...

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#19 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 400 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Think about it, we were 17-25, we've goen 27-12 in the last 39 games to be at 44-37 now...

Glass half full: I hear you MDI. Maybe a relatively healthy roster and a full camp and we can get 55 wins next year.

Glass half empty: Our record versus playoff teams is abysmal. We've had losses we clearly should have won. Team seems like a rudderless ship at times.

#20 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 917 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Glass half full: I hear you MDI. Maybe a relatively healthy roster and a full camp and we can get 55 wins next year.

Glass half empty: Our record versus playoff teams is abysmal. We've had losses we clearly should have won. Team seems like a rudderless ship at times.

Tbh, this is more thanks to Kobe taking over coaching/scoring/facilitating/fixing pau then the coach himself

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users