Photo

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,090 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:04 AM

Review - 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Is The Spider-Man We've Been Waiting For

amazing-spider-man-2.png

I’m a bit tired of having to tell you all to just ignore negative reviews that seem to be about an entirely different film than the one under review. But, here we go again…

I’ll keep it short and simple: The negative reviews are only correct to the extent they merely reflect those writers’ personal lack of enjoyment of The Amazing Spider-Man, but are otherwise unrelated to the reality of the quality of this film. And they’re definitely unrelated to the likelihood *you* will enjoy it, dear readers, because I’m pretty sure most of you are going to love it. But before I get into the nitty gritty of reviewing the film’s content (but avoiding any significant spoilers, don’t worry), let’s get into the nitty gritty of its box office prospects first.

We already know this was an expensive film — and you can see every dime up there on the screen, because it looks incredible — so it will have to perform big to recoup it’s estimated $250 million budget and $150+ million marketing expenses. Lucky for Sony, then, that it appears The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is indeed headed toward a big domestic debut performance.

Tracking suggests it will take in close to $100 million on Friday through Sunday, which combined with its current $132 million in foreign receipts would bring the film’s worldwide cume to a healthy $232 million so far. Then, we’d have to add this weekends overseas gross, which should be enough to push the final tally to somewhere around $300 million (give or take) by close of business Sunday.

The first film in director Marc Webb’s rebooted series took a bit over $60 million on its domestic opening weekend, Friday through Sunday. But it actually had an entire week of lead-in screenings that racked up $75 million before the first weekend ever got started, giving the film a total of $137 million by the end of its first North American weekend. That was in July, though, and it was up against two holdovers (Ted andBrave) that hadn’t been out long and were still pulling down big weekend numbers. So the different month, opening weekday lead-in, and competition make a comparison difficult. But on its second weekend, that first movie then ran into the wall that was The Dark Knight Rises, but despite that Spidey was still able to pull down $752 million worldwide.

The long-term outlook, then, is pretty good for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. It’s got far more “event-status” feel this time around, it looks (here comes the pun) amazing, and it’s going to get good word of mouth from audiences, which should all help it take the $100 plus/minus opening domestic weekend and run farther with stronger legs than its predecessor had, while overseas it should enjoy a strong and long run for the same reasons plus foreign audiences’ liking 3D a bit more than folks do here in the states. But the quality of the 3D is so high in this film — easily the best I’ve seen of any superhero movie to date, and some of the best overall in years – that will help boost the 3D ticket sales, I bet.

**REVIEW STARTS HERE** 

This started out as one of the movies highest on my must-see list for the year, but as negative reviews rolled in I started to get worried. So, I tempered my expectations a bit and walked into the theater with hopeful and eager to see it, yet equally open to the fact it might be a disappointment and that I would complain and bemoan lost opportunity if it was indeed a bad or just underwhelming production. And when it was over, I wondered just what the hell movie the negative reviewers had seen, because it sure wasn’t the one I’d just watched.

Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man films were popular, and of course got a lot right, especially inthe second installment. However, those films never felt entirely faithful when it came to the portrayal of Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Then came Marc Webb’s first reboot film of the franchise, which actually managed to surpass Raimi’s trilogy and get closer to the source material. But with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I’ve finally witnessed the Spider-Man movie I’ve been waiting for my entire life.

If the previous installment was a bit darker and more somber, this one retains some of that edge but then injects a massive dose of pure comic book joy. This is what a Spider-Man movie would look like if Marvel Studios made it, basically — by which I mean the tone, the “living, breathing comic book” quality, the humor and charisma and chemistry of the cast, is all here. It’s what you get when you combine the best elements of Raimi’s Spider-Man 2 — namely, its comic book sensibilities plus quality villain portrayal and imaginative, vibrantly colorful action sequences and lovely cityscapes — with the best elements of Webb’s The Amazing Spider-Man — meaning very faithful to the comics, great performances from actors who really encapsulate the characters perfectly, a Spidey who is lifted right off the comic pages in the way he looks and moves and speaks, and an attempt to actually tell a more complex story with honest emotions.

Several other reviews complain that the story was muddled, or that it’s just a CGI-fest, or that there are too many villains, or that it tries to do too much, and to all of that I just have to say, “Wrong!” I really am not sure why anyone would think the story is muddled. It’s a nicely complicated (ahem) web that all ties together in the end, there are a few good twists that add to Spidey’s origin, and it’s all going somewhere in the future, too. There are reasons, in other words, for everything that happens, and even seemingly minor elements end up mattering. Plus there’s some nice character-building going on — even Aunt May has an arc and some changes in her life to deal with.

Peter’s search for the truth about his parents progresses significantly this time around, and answers some of the questions raised in the previous film. What doesn’t progress well for him, however, is his relationship with Gwen, since the two are on-again/off-again and its hurting both of their abilities to move forward with their lives. Harry Osborn arrives in town, and we discover he used to be good friends with Peter before Peter’s parents died. Now, Harry faces a difficult situation that brings him and Peter back together. Aunt May is struggling to face life without Ben, including paying bills and raising a young man (Peter) who is embarking on adulthood and needs her less at precisely the time she most needs to be needed. An Oscorp electrical engineer named Max, meanwhile, lives a depressing life without friends and without anyone’s respect, and a chance encounter with Spider-Man simultaneously lifts his spirits while making him realize the full extent of his loneliness and how little he matters to everybody.

That’s the setup, and its all about choices and needs. People needing people who are not available to them or who are slipping away. People feeling powerless against forces in the world that deny them the things they most love. People making choices that take them away from those who need and love them. Watch as these themes play out for every single person, one way or another (even Peter’s parents, even Harry’s father — that’s how thoroughly the story serves its characters and themes). And the film rightly focuses mostly on these themes within the everyday lives of the characters, letting them interact and just talk to one another a lot for a superhero movie.

THE REST OF THE REVIEW HERE: http://www.forbes.co...m_medium=social

There you go Chicano :) To put your mind at ease ;)  

Edited by Majesty, May 02, 2014 - 02:05 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#122 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,920 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:05 AM

Was good, expected better, but overall still a fun movie to watch

2div

• 40,603 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:07 AM

There you go   :) To put your mind at ease ;)  

Oh I don't have no agenda. I'm simply passing info along from two of the most respected review sites out there, but this review you just posted was a good read.

yo.

#124 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,090 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:09 AM

Oh I don't have no agenda. I'm simply passing info along from two of the most respected review sites out there, but this review you just posted was a good read.

Anytime

• 40,603 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:30 AM

o-SPIDERMAN-570.jpg?1

yo.

#126 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,352 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:58 AM

On SNL last night

Spoiler

EyMlHkX.jpg

#127 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,090 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 06:55 PM

:laughing:

#128 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:45 PM

I'm really hoping they'll introduce Miles Morales to the movies.

#129 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,217 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:20 PM

They said no

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#130 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,090 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Garfield wants that too. 

#131 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:53 PM

They said no

Don't kill the dream

• 40,603 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 03:54 AM

They said no

Racists.

Garfield wants that too. 

Spoiler

yo.

#133 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,090 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 04:04 AM

Have you seen it yet Chicano? 

#134 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,217 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 07:00 AM

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#135 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,217 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 01:47 PM

It was aiight

#136 DeeZee

DeeZee

Sixth Man

• 4,190 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe. Shaq. Magic. Kareem.

Posted May 05, 2014 - 04:43 PM

Saw it last night. Pretty good

#137 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,090 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 03:03 AM

Director Mark Webb along with Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield want Sony to do a Spider-Man crossover with Marvel Studios 

I would love that, as a fan, I think that would be great. I don’t know how that would happen, but I certainly would be supportive of it. - Mark Webb

I think [a crossover] would be amazing! I think that would be incredible. I think it could work in the realms of "movie land", but I don't know how it works in the realms of "business land". You'd have to ask the people at Marvel and Sony. - Emma Stone

I say 'never say never’, you know? I think everyone would love to see that. Obviously, big business and lawyers and rights issues are an obstacle. In my naivete I'm all 'let's put all that aside and just do it!'. - Andrew Garfield

Mark Webb says it was supposed to happen with the first Amazing Spider-Man film

There’s efforts that were made [to make a crossover cameo happen], but obviously nothing came to fruition. - Mark Webb

http://moviepilot.co...-1262082#!JpWuq

DANG IT SONY!!  :smh:

#138 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,217 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 04:07 PM

#139 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,090 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Original Green Goblin Concept

Bm_5PFxCcAAFGbU.jpg

Bm_5PDGCIAArFZZ.jpg

Should they have gone with this? 

#140 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,090 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:25 PM

Mary Jane 

original.jpg?w=600&h

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users