38 replies to this topic

#21 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,825 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:30 PM

If the story is to be believed, I find it funny that two people that know spoke on condition of being anonymous. Like if they knew, Dwight wouldn't know who said it?

Oh yeah, fire dantoni.

#22 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,403 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Bleh - Nice job by Amick at hedging his bets (i.e. It could change, but Howard expected back with the Lakers). Why even put the article out there at all.

#23 ColStac

ColStac

Bleed Purple and Gold

• 483 posts
  • Name:Colmon
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:28 PM

"Sources" said the Lakers were going to hire Phil Jackson.  I'm not even going to pay this any mind until it's all done.

The game changes, the players turnover, but the Mamba remains a constant!

#24 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,872 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:45 PM

"Sources" said the Lakers were going to hire Phil Jackson.  I'm not even going to pay this any mind until it's all done.

95% chance lol

#25 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 15, 2013 - 11:33 PM

I think it's a good sign that Dwight has said he trusts Mitch Kupchak. I personally think he's done a terrible job. But Dwight having faith in him means he either likes the roster or has faith the team will have the right roster.

I think the Lakers should make moves in the offseason like the Nets did to retain Deron Williams. Apart from the coaching change nearly everybody wants, they could make roster moves.

I think the Lakers should move Pau and Nash. Nash has had solid numbers, and Pau has been good enough since he's been back to show teams he's not finished yet. Plus, he's a big guy.

They're both good, but I think the Lakers need help in more areas that they help in at this point.

Edited by Japago, April 15, 2013 - 11:34 PM.

Posted Image

#26 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 16, 2013 - 01:11 AM

I've never really been worried about Dwight Howard leaving LA. Seriously, what other team is as enticing to him? It's one thing if a team is out there prepping for a major class ala Miami in 2010, but that's not the case here, nor do I see that happening anytime soon. The franchise is his in the next few years (maybe sooner with recent events), it's Los Angeles, and he'd be getting the most money AND he'd lock down his long term security with the longest deal possible. More money, more years, and a better location than any other team with cap space this summer.

The short list of teams with cap space (last I checked) was the Jazz, Mavericks, Hawks, Rockets, Bucks, Pistons and Cavaliers. How exactly are any of those teams enticing destinations? The Rockets haven't been a contender in nearly 20 years and have only been slightly better than us despite the 120912048 injuries we've had, Jazz are a long way from relevant, the Mavericks don't have much to offer roster-wise, and those Eastern Conference are all mediocre to terrible.

There is almost zero incentive to go elsewhere, he has the best opportunities both on and off the court here in LA where the front office has been committed to building around him in the future since the day we traded for him.

#27 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 16, 2013 - 03:22 AM

I've never really been worried about Dwight Howard leaving LA. Seriously, what other team is as enticing to him? It's one thing if a team is out there prepping for a major class ala Miami in 2010, but that's not the case here, nor do I see that happening anytime soon. The franchise is his in the next few years (maybe sooner with recent events), it's Los Angeles, and he'd be getting the most money AND he'd lock down his long term security with the longest deal possible. More money, more years, and a better location than any other team with cap space this summer.

The short list of teams with cap space (last I checked) was the Jazz, Mavericks, Hawks, Rockets, Bucks, Pistons and Cavaliers. How exactly are any of those teams enticing destinations? The Rockets haven't been a contender in nearly 20 years and have only been slightly better than us despite the 120912048 injuries we've had, Jazz are a long way from relevant, the Mavericks don't have much to offer roster-wise, and those Eastern Conference are all mediocre to terrible.

There is almost zero incentive to go elsewhere, he has the best opportunities both on and off the court here in LA where the front office has been committed to building around him in the future since the day we traded for him.

While I think you make great points and its well put. Your argument is highly flawed simply because you ignore how attractive and appealing the Houston Rockets are. They have a good PnR player in Jeremy Lin.. They have a superstar/Allstar in James Harden thus the 1-2 punch of Howard and Harden would be set. 

In reality while the GLAMOUR of LA is great. The lakers are not that "appealing" really. 

Houston has youth and even more youth. What do we have? A superstar SG in the twilight of his career who just now got injured and could be out for more than a year? Pau Gasol? 32 year old? Nash 38 year old? What the capspace in 2014. Trust me Houston sounds ALOT more appealing. Not to mention their state income tax. 

In saying that. I still think Howard will resign. But from a basketball point of view really houston is REALLY attractive. 

Laker fan for life.

#28 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009

Posted April 16, 2013 - 04:09 AM

I initially read this resign instead of re-sign

#29 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,077 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:19 AM

What is intersting is that the salary differential is almost negligible. It's the security of the fifth year.

A younger player than Howard might be willing to give up that 5th year. For Howard (and his back), its more critical.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

• 40,556 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Kupchak Continues To Expect Dwight Will Re-Sign With Lakers

http://basketball.re...ign-With-Lakers

yo.

#31 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted April 16, 2013 - 11:10 PM

While I think you make great points and its well put. Your argument is highly flawed simply because you ignore how attractive and appealing the Houston Rockets are. They have a good PnR player in Jeremy Lin.. They have a superstar/Allstar in James Harden thus the 1-2 punch of Howard and Harden would be set. 

In reality while the GLAMOUR of LA is great. The lakers are not that "appealing" really. 

Houston has youth and even more youth. What do we have? A superstar SG in the twilight of his career who just now got injured and could be out for more than a year? Pau Gasol? 32 year old? Nash 38 year old? What the capspace in 2014. Trust me Houston sounds ALOT more appealing. Not to mention their state income tax. 

In saying that. I still think Howard will resign. But from a basketball point of view really houston is REALLY attractive. 

And yet the Rockets are barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth to that 7th seed, despite our horrendous underachievement and plethora of injuries. How exactly are they more appealing than the Lakers? We could actually overtake them for the 7th seed with a win tomorrow. It's not like they've had any major injuries or were missing any pieces for long stretches either, they're just not a very good team at all. We have a proven track record for excellence and building around superstar players. There is no such precedent in Houston, nor do they have the means to surround Howard with a supporting cast that will work for him. Yes, they have Lin and Harden, but what's the appeal of that aside from youth? This isn't a LeBron/Bosh to Miami sort of deal, they haven't proven anything yet and neither are established stars ala Wade nor players that would attract major free agents and have veterans willing to sign at a discounted price.

Location is extremely important when fielding superstar players, as is the amount of money you can throw at them. We beat out any other team on the market this summer in that regard. Cap space is a huge factor for us in two years. It's very rare when a big market team gets enough cap space to sign stars outright in free agency, and they almost always capitalize. Miami reeled in LeBron/Bosh and could make their third straight Finals appearance. The Knicks signed Amar'e in 2011 and he led them to their first postseason appearance in seven years. In '96 we signed Shaq and we all know what happened afterwards. And another  thing to consider, when was the last time a superstar player on a big market team just bolted in free agency? I can't think of any from recent years off the top of my head.

The point is that big market teams are savvy enough to keep their superstars and make use of their cap-space on the rare occasions that they have a ton of it. They don't just sit idly by; they put all their chips on the table. I have no doubt that the Lakers will come up big next summer and that Dwight Howard is fully aware of this. There are just too many factors in our favor when it comes to Dwight for us to worry about him leaving. It's not like we went 15-67 or anything.

#32 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,570 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:31 AM

OHHH! I can't wait for the "Loyalty" t-shirts to come out.

2hf753r.jpg

#33 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Im really fine either way if he stays or goes
Posted Image

#34 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,278 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:58 AM

you gotta be kiddin 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#35 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,742 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 17, 2013 - 08:11 AM

:facepalm:

#36 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Always thought it was most likely that he would come back. With the way he has been acting and talking recently it certainly sounds like he will come back. Now if he rips off his jersey after the Lakers lose in the playoffs I wouldn't be so sure, but I think being around Kobe has really taught him what it means to be a leader and he'll have the next day to couple weeks to prove that. Plus, didn't he buy a big house in Orange County? Presuming he has some kind of financial adviser, I don't see anyone buying a residence in California for just one year (taxes, bad market).

What will interest me is whether he learned something from Lebron, Wade, and Bosh and is willing to take less than his maximum to help the team build in the future. With his maximum and the new salary cap rules, $26 million will start to limit the team in a few  years just like Kobe's contract does now. Maybe he will learn that multiple championships in LA would mean many more millions than the maybe $5 million less per year he could take. If he just takes $20 million per year for 5 years, that might leave room for 2 other max contracts (or better yet, one max contract and 3 good players) once Kobe and Pau come off the books.

#37 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:21 AM

you gotta be kiddin

if hes gonna sign for the money or for fame better he goes. I think it would be great if he stays but if he stays and starts up with his drama id rather pass
Posted Image

#38 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:44 PM

And yet the Rockets are barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth to that 7th seed, despite our horrendous underachievement and plethora of injuries. How exactly are they more appealing than the Lakers? We could actually overtake them for the 7th seed with a win tomorrow. It's not like they've had any major injuries or were missing any pieces for long stretches either, they're just not a very good team at all. We have a proven track record for excellence and building around superstar players. There is no such precedent in Houston, nor do they have the means to surround Howard with a supporting cast that will work for him. Yes, they have Lin and Harden, but what's the appeal of that aside from youth? This isn't a LeBron/Bosh to Miami sort of deal, they haven't proven anything yet and neither are established stars ala Wade nor players that would attract major free agents and have veterans willing to sign at a discounted price.

Location is extremely important when fielding superstar players, as is the amount of money you can throw at them. We beat out any other team on the market this summer in that regard. Cap space is a huge factor for us in two years. It's very rare when a big market team gets enough cap space to sign stars outright in free agency, and they almost always capitalize. Miami reeled in LeBron/Bosh and could make their third straight Finals appearance. The Knicks signed Amar'e in 2011 and he led them to their first postseason appearance in seven years. In '96 we signed Shaq and we all know what happened afterwards. And another  thing to consider, when was the last time a superstar player on a big market team just bolted in free agency? I can't think of any from recent years off the top of my head.

The point is that big market teams are savvy enough to keep their superstars and make use of their cap-space on the rare occasions that they have a ton of it. They don't just sit idly by; they put all their chips on the table. I have no doubt that the Lakers will come up big next summer and that Dwight Howard is fully aware of this. There are just too many factors in our favor when it comes to Dwight for us to worry about him leaving. It's not like we went 15-67 or anything.

Ok but put Howard on that team and BAM... Contenders of the future... Such a young nucleus... yes Lakers are just behind them in the standings especially knowing all the injuries or what not... But thats NOW... im talking Basketball in the future? What do we have thats "attractive" in comparison to Houston?? 

Like I said I dont expect Howard to leave LA never have... But just from a basketball perspective I dont see how the LAKERS are more attractive as a team than the ROCKETS for the next 4-5 years. 

Laker fan for life.

#39 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that Houston is going to be in an awful payroll position after next season. They'll have 45 mil committed to Harden, Lin, and Asik. That's awful contracts for Lin and Asik, who are role players. Add 20 mil for Dwight, and they would already be near the tax threshold.

Harden is really the only player that Dwight should be attracted to playing with. He's the best young player that any team with cap space has. But if he isn't enough, then he's stuck with that team for 2 seasons.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users