Photo

Steve Nash is out versus Houston (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I wasn't that excited when the Lakers got him. He's done nothing to convince me otherwise.

The Lakers should've just retained Sessions. His numbers last year with the Lakers are similar to Nash's numbers with the Lakers this year, he would've been cheaper, and the Lakers would still have all their draft picks.

Posted Image

#82 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:32 PM

I'm starting to wonder if we've seen the last of Nash as a Lakers.  With these injury problems, especially since it's with his nerves, you could see him retire.

• 40,377 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:34 PM

How would retirement affect his contract situation with us?

yo.

#84 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Crazy season man for the Lakers on and off the court...Marge Hearn had hip surgery apparently.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#85 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:21 PM

It's not that crazy when you consider the age of these players, the fast paced system D'Antoni runs, and the fact that they play heavy minutes.

Posted Image

#86 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:32 PM

How would retirement affect his contract situation with us?

I would assume they would negotiate a buy out. 

#87 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Blake is a better on ball defender than Nash but come on, he doesn't bring any serious rebounding value on a consistent basis and he lacks the ability to create his own shot, which Nash can do and which we seriously need with Kobe out, and isn't anywhere close to the passer that Nash is. Blake is a good spot up shooter and decent distributor. Nash is an elite distributor and elite scorer. 

Blake has done a great job filling in but I can't believe people are actually saying they'd rather have him than Nash.

Nash is an elite distributor, but in no way, shape or form is he an elite scorer.  Shooter, maybe, but sadly, he doesn't want to take advantage of that on what should have been a stacked team of two superstars and two borderline all-stars.

And for what we need the MOST (spot-up shooting, and defense, at the point), Blake gives that to us.

Dwight and Gasol will create shots...Dwight by drawing defensive attention, Gasol by passing.  Everyone else can play off of the two guys that matter the most, now that Kobe is out.

#88 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Larry Coon said he thinks the Lakers will use the stretch option on Nash after next season. It's a bit complicated, but it will lessen the Lakers' cap number for the all important 2014 FA.

Posted Image

#89 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Larry Coon said he thinks the Lakers will use the stretch option on Nash after next season. It's a bit complicated, but it will lessen the Lakers' cap number for the all important 2014 FA.

Interesting, I've never heard of that option until he talked about it.  Here's what I found on it, this was before Lin signed with the Rockets.

• If the player’s salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match2. For example, if two seasons remain on the player’s contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.

In other words, the Knicks will have the option after the 2013-2014 season to waive Jeremy Lin, take his third-year $15 million salary and spread it out with its cap hit over the following three seasons. In each of those three seasons, the Knicks would have $5 million of dead money on the cap. Doing that would all but eliminate the insane luxury tax payment the Knicks would have to endure in 2014-2015, which is supposedly stopping them from re-signing Lin.

#90 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 513 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'm still bummed out that Nash won't be out there. I love watching him play, flashy passes and nice shooting. Hopefully he sticks around and becomes a mentor to a nice youthful PG next year.

#91 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:44 PM

If I am reading that correctly, we could waive Steve Nash this off season, and while he has 19 million left on his contract, the Lakers could stretch that out over five years, taking a 3.8 million dollar hit of dead cap space during that time.

Interesting, that's something they could consider if Nash doesn't retire. But Kobe's salary still kills them so it's not like we could pick up a good player if Nash is waived.

#92 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,014 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 16, 2013 - 09:38 PM

If I am reading that correctly, we could waive Steve Nash this off season, and while he has 19 million left on his contract, the Lakers could stretch that out over five years, taking a 3.8 million dollar hit of dead cap space during that time.

Interesting, that's something they could consider if Nash doesn't retire. But Kobe's salary still kills them so it's not like we could pick up a good player if Nash is waived.

Yes so they are keeping Nash.

Thing is, when healthy Nash is a very good edition.  When he gets down being an off-ball player we'll be fine but till then I'm completely fine with Blake. 
Next year if Blake is still THAT much better at it then Nash should come off the bench.

Having Nash as the bench point guard and shooter of our bench is almost unfair to another team's bench 1 and shooter.   15/5 off the bench from Nash on a nightly basis would help the bench greatly. 

Nash still helps this team, I don't forget his clutch threes he hits or whenever he gets a mentality to score that he can go one runs by himself like he did against Chicago.  The other side of it is, it isn't his natural nature.

But listening to Nash, he WANTS it to be and prefers being a spot up off ball shooter.  

As Nash said "I'd love to put up 20 shots a night."

It just comes down to him "get"ting it.   I know he will.   

So he isn't useless to us.  But till he does get it, off the bench still is valuable till us, and till he gets back, Blake is a good if not better substitute for the style we play with now and is eventually what we want Nash to get to in terms of his offensive play.

If Steve Nash ever gets down playing off-ball like Blake, we're good. 

So we should focus in the off-season about signing someone like Webster to add some scoring to our bench cause Hill will be back, and with Webster we'd have a 10 man deep lineup(after Jamison leaves which he probably will next year)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#93 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,739 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:20 PM

I hope Nash recovers fully. Spinal stuff can be dangerous for an athlete.

Pity we may not have him during playoffs. But we have Houston on Wednesday to take care of first.

#94 fsoyars

fsoyars

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Nash is an elite distributor, but in no way, shape or form is he an elite scorer.  Shooter, maybe, but sadly, he doesn't want to take advantage of that on what should have been a stacked team of two superstars and two borderline all-stars.

And for what we need the MOST (spot-up shooting, and defense, at the point), Blake gives that to us.

Dwight and Gasol will create shots...Dwight by drawing defensive attention, Gasol by passing.  Everyone else can play off of the two guys that matter the most, now that Kobe is out.

The only thing I think you could possibly argue that Blake does better than Nash is defense. In losing Kobe, the biggest thing we lost was someone who can create their own shot. Nash can do that. Blake cannot. And while Blake has been hot, Nash is clearly a better spot up shooter than Blake. And let's not get carried away and act like Blake is MWP on D all the sudden - he's solid on the ball in spurts but also terrible off the ball, leaving his man wide open all the time (lest we forget how Dame Lillard completely torched him). What little we gain in D from Blake nowhere near outweighs the offense, passing and veteran presence from the former 2x MVP and 8x All Star. Come on. 

#95 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 17, 2013 - 04:33 AM

The only thing I think you could possibly argue that Blake does better than Nash is defense. In losing Kobe, the biggest thing we lost was someone who can create their own shot. Nash can do that. Blake cannot. And while Blake has been hot, Nash is clearly a better spot up shooter than Blake. And let's not get carried away and act like Blake is MWP on D all the sudden - he's solid on the ball in spurts but also terrible off the ball, leaving his man wide open all the time (lest we forget how Dame Lillard completely torched him). What little we gain in D from Blake nowhere near outweighs the offense, passing and veteran presence from the former 2x MVP and 8x All Star. Come on. 

It's no argument that Blake is a better defender, and he doesn't have to be Artest to be that much better (even though Artest's defense has dropped off quite a bit).

Never said Blake did anything else better than Nash...except for fill his role correctly, in this particular offense, on this particular roster...and that's what we need.

Sure, Nash is a better shooter...a 50/40/90 guy.  Doesn't help us, though, if he refuses to play off the ball as much as Blake does.

Nash does create his own shot...but when we put the ball in his hands often, we tend to NOT get the ball to Dwight, who is the superstar of this team.  Instead, we jack threes off of Nash's facilitating, and we need to stop launching them off of Nash because, quite frankly, he doesn't draw enough defensive attention anymore, and those threes are contested.

What Nash brings on the offensive end, today, is not enough to make up for the defensive issues he drags in with him AND the role he has trouble filling on this team.  If our lineup was...

C - Kevin Love

PF - Chris Bosh

SF - Kyle Korver

SG - James Harden

PG - Steve Nash

Then you pretty much don't care about the defensive end, and you know you're going to rack up 100+ PPG and still be able to use Nash and Harden as facilitators, since everyone else will want to stretch the floor.

But with Dwight and Gasol trying to post up, and us not having consistent three-point shooters on the floor, we're featuring the post play...not Nash's penetrations.

Nash hasn't been Nash most of the season.  We don't need to put the ball in his hands now, and think that magically, he's going to do the right thing.

Kind of irrelevant anyway, because it sounds like he's going to be out until October.

#96 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 17, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Yes so they are keeping Nash.

Thing is, when healthy Nash is a very good edition.  When he gets down being an off-ball player we'll be fine but till then I'm completely fine with Blake. 
Next year if Blake is still THAT much better at it then Nash should come off the bench.

Having Nash as the bench point guard and shooter of our bench is almost unfair to another team's bench 1 and shooter.   15/5 off the bench from Nash on a nightly basis would help the bench greatly. 

Nash still helps this team, I don't forget his clutch threes he hits or whenever he gets a mentality to score that he can go one runs by himself like he did against Chicago.  The other side of it is, it isn't his natural nature.

But listening to Nash, he WANTS it to be and prefers being a spot up off ball shooter.  

As Nash said "I'd love to put up 20 shots a night."

It just comes down to him "get"ting it.   I know he will.   

So he isn't useless to us.  But till he does get it, off the bench still is valuable till us, and till he gets back, Blake is a good if not better substitute for the style we play with now and is eventually what we want Nash to get to in terms of his offensive play.

If Steve Nash ever gets down playing off-ball like Blake, we're good. 

So we should focus in the off-season about signing someone like Webster to add some scoring to our bench cause Hill will be back, and with Webster we'd have a 10 man deep lineup(after Jamison leaves which he probably will next year)

without 2 real spot up / catch & shoot players along with a big who can do PnR and convert consistently from mid range jumper = NASH IS WORTHLESS TO LAKERS IN REGARDS TO GETTING A TITLE!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#97 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,280 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Steve Nash is working out with Lakers player development Phil Handy, playing 1-on-1 before shootaround. Good sign to see him on the court

#98 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 952 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Ron Artest, Magic

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:27 AM

His turn into a Derek Fisher type player....

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

#99 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,014 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:19 PM

His turn into a Derek Fisher type player....

if he plays off ball as much and hits threes at 40+ percent while also being PnR competent I won't mind. 

Having Nash off ball to Kobe being set up for wide open threes is what we want from Nash isn't it? 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#100 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:50 PM

if he plays off ball as much and hits threes at 40+ percent while also being PnR competent I won't mind. 

Having Nash off ball to Kobe being set up for wide open threes is what we want from Nash isn't it? 

We wanted that to be an added bonus since he has never been a gunner. #1 thing he was brought to do is take responsibilities away from Kobe with all the ball handling & needing to create all the plays for the entire team = Nash has Failed this season at being able to run PG. Once he finally realized it wasnt working he turned to the  DFish role & let Kobe takeover.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users