Photo

Andrew Goudelock back with the Lakers (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#141 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:29 PM

He can't be worse than Meeks right?

Absolutely not.

I have more trust in Goudelock's floaters than Meeks' lay ups & 3-point shot combined.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:32 PM

^ You mean Meeks' Derek Fisher layups?

yo.

#143 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,026 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Apparently, Goudelock was unstoppable in the D-league. He's twitter is full of people praising him. Mini Mamba is the Mamba of the D-League

him and CDR were the best in the D-League this year.

So he's obviously improved... how it translates to the NBA remains to be seen :)

That said I would trust him more as a 3 point shooter than Meeks.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#144 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:39 PM

^ You mean Meeks' Derek Fisher layups?

He makes Fisher look amazing.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#145 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 04:43 AM

Interview with Goudelock

tumblr_m3u68liykS1ru6vo4o1_500.jpg

Goudelock and the Lakers: Reunited and it feels so good

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers equipment manager Carlos Maples' job was easier this time around.

Usually when the team signs a free agent late in the season, Maples has to scramble to get a uniform made up in time for the player's arrival. Since the Lakers already had plenty of Andrew Goudelock's old No. 0 jerseys in stock, all Maples had to do Sunday was sew on a Dr. Jerry Buss commemorative "JB" patch onto one of them.

Goudelock was called up from the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA D-League on Saturday and completed the paperwork to sign with the Lakers for the remainder of the season just about an hour before tipoff of their game against the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday.

The 6-foot-2 combo guard, who was selected by the Lakers with the No. 46 pick in the 2011 draft and waived during training camp this season, just feels good to be back.

"This is like home for me," Goudelock said. "This is the first place I played in the NBA, and for me to be able to come back, it was surreal for me. When I got the call, I didn’t even know [what to think]. I was just looking at my coach for like five minutes, like, ‘Are you serious? Are you playing with me?’ So, this is a surreal feeling. I just want to take advantage of it."

Goudelock was informed by Vipers coach Nick Nurse before their playoff game against the Maine Red Claws on Saturday.

"I’m just doing my regular thing and my coach comes out," Goudelock recalled. "‘You’re not playing today.’ I’m like, ‘Am I in trouble?’ He’s like, ‘No, the Lakers called you back. So you got to leave in the morning.’"

Goudelock arrived in Los Angeles from Houston around noon on Sunday and got to the arena at 3 p.m. for a crash course with assistant coach Dan D'Antoni.

"We went over just some basic things, but he said most of it is just playing," Goudelock said. "They said if you don’t shoot, [D’Antoni] gets mad. That’s right up my alley."

Goudelock did plenty of shooting in the D-League. In 51 games (all starts) with Sioux Falls and Rio Grande Valley this season, Goudelock averaged 21.1 points, 3.9 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.16 steals in 36.9 minutes. Goudelock, who said he lost 15 pounds since training camp in part because of dedicated training and in part because his meager D-League salary didn't allow him to eat like he did when he was with the Lakers, thought the experience made him a better player.

"The D-League is definitely tough," Goudelock said. "From the pay, to the travel, to dealing with different guys, different personalities, different coaches -- it’s definitely a learning curve.

"It definitely sucks to have to leave the NBA, leave all this and then go there. Then you think you deserve to be called up, you think that you deserve to be in the NBA, but it doesn’t happen. You just have to wait. You just have to wait and wait and wait, and it’s devastating, but when it does happen, words can’t really explain how you feel. And I feel like I got so much better, it’s almost like I’m getting a second chance here. Whereas when I first came in, I didn’t know that much. This time I’m coming around and I know a lot."

D'Antoni knows that Goudelock is a capable NBA player who had a four-game stretch in his rookie season during which he averaged 11.5 points on 50 percent shooting from the field and 57.1 percent shooting on 3-pointers (8-for-14) in 20.8 minutes, and the Lakers went 3-1.

"He can play and he can make shots. That’s the biggest thing," D'Antoni said. "That was the thinking [that he can create his own shot] and also he can go into the playoffs with us [because he is eligible]. He’s comfortable here and he can make shots."

Goudelock had other opportunities overseas in China, Russia and Puerto Rico, and there was even some flirtation by the Memphis Grizzlies, but somehow his journey took him back to L.A. when Kobe Bryant, the guy who dubbed him the "Mini Mamba" last season, went out with a season-ending Achilles tear.

"It’s just surreal," Goudelock said. "You never think you’ll be back here, and then you’re back here."

Even though Goudelock was cut back in October, he has paid attention to the Lakers' season and has kept in touch with former teammates Devin Ebanks, Darius Morris and Pau Gasol.

"You got to pay a lot of attention to the Lakers because it’s always on TV," Goudelock said. "As soon as you turn on ESPN, it’s the first thing that comes on TV. It just seems like something is happening every day, something different."

He did not anticipate the Lakers struggling the way they have.

"This is the most talent that I’ve ever seen," Goudelock said. "I thought that it would be a lock that these guys would be at least in the top three or four [teams in the league]. So I was surprised. I didn’t know what to [think]. People would be like, ‘Maybe they need you back.’ And I’m like, ‘No, not me.’ But you never really know how things are going to turn out; I guess that’s why they play the game. You just can’t put a team together and say, ‘Hey, they’re going to be No. 1.’ They played the game and unfortunately things didn’t turn out as well as everybody wanted them to, but they still have a chance to make the playoffs, and the playoffs is a new season."

And for Goudelock, it's a new chance at an NBA career.
Entire Article Here:  http://espn.go.com/b...t-feels-so-good

Nice interview can't wait to see some practice vids.

Edited by Majesty, April 16, 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#146 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,372 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 16, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Parker is hurt, that's ONE.

Morris is nota PG...not in that sense...He is a GUARD...mainly in the game for defense and speed, and GUESS what? That's okay.

Meeks is BETTER than Glock. I like the Mini-mamba, but Meeks' hustle is a factor and his athleticism is a factor, moreso than AG.

He is a better defender.

But I like the idea of another guard who can shoot. I think we can play sorta like NY, except Dwight and Pau play the role of Melo and JR Smith and Metta and Clark are the defensive specilaists

#147 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,779 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Parker is hurt, that's ONE.

Morris is nota PG...not in that sense...He is a GUARD...mainly in the game for defense and speed, and GUESS what? That's okay.

Meeks is BETTER than Glock. I like the Mini-mamba, but Meeks' hustle is a factor and his athleticism is a factor, moreso than AG.

He is a better defender.

But I like the idea of another guard who can shoot. I think we can play sorta like NY, except Dwight and Pau play the role of Melo and JR Smith and Metta and Clark are the defensive specilaists

I have to give meeks props for trying to throw it down on the big fellas this season, he's been blocked like 5 times from dunks.

#148 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,779 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:24 AM

"He can play and he can make shots. That’s the biggest thing," D'Antoni said. "That was the thinking [that he can create his own shot] and also he can go into the playoffs with us [because he is eligible]. He’s comfortable here and he can make shots."

D'antoni mentioning Goudelocks Defense!!

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 01:36 PM

"The D-League is definitely tough," Goudelock said. "From the pay, to the travel, to dealing with different guys, different personalities, different coaches -- it’s definitely a learning curve.

It did bother me a bit to read that part. Yes it's quite a difference perhaps from the NBA, but it's still damn good money, at least moreso than a lot of average Joes & regulars like most of us.

I WAS WRONG. THANK YOU TO ANDROSAYS FOR TEACHING ME A LESSON. HUMILITY>PRIDE.

Meeks can't create his own shot. Doesn't have a deadly go-to weapon in his arsenal such as Glock's effective floater that he can drop from most anywhere on the court.

Edited by    , April 16, 2013 - 01:58 PM.

yo.

#150 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,850 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted April 16, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Average D-League annual salaries are $12,000 - $24,000 + a $30.00 daily expense

So no, they make right around (if not less) then your average Joe, but at least they're getting paid to do what they love (with a chance to get that big promotion)

2div

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 01:56 PM

^ I admit. I spoke outta' my ass on that one. Just did further research after your post and you are indeed correct although that 24K can be up to 25K, but not much difference really. My bad. Thanks for schooling me, lol.

yo.

#152 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 920 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:11 PM

I hope he plays he has really improved his  game i just want to see if i translates in the NBA

#153 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 04:05 AM

Goudelock on becoming a full time point-guard in the d-league and his coach on why he trained him in it.

If nothing else, Goudelock is making himself more marketable. He was a shooting guard in college. With the Lakers, he was primarily a shooting guard, although he played the point in emergency situations.

When he arrived with the Vipers, Nurse(Nick Nurse, coach of the Vipers) decided to make him a full-time point guard.

“He looks like he’s been nothing but a point guard after 20 games of it,” Nurse said. “This is just helping him because it makes him just that much harder to guard. As hard as it is for him to not get called up and have to play in this league, he wouldn’t get 30, 40 minutes at the point anywhere right now(insinuating he'd likely be called up as a 2 rather than a 1 because of prior history). In the long run, I think it’s going to help him.”

Goudelock said he’s never played point guard as much as he has since he’s joined the Vipers. Once he figured it out, he’s been thriving, and more importantly for him and the Vipers, he playing the position with a lot of confidence.

“It feels more natural to me than the shooting guard position,” Goudelock said. “My height matches up better with many point guards in the NBA. … I feel like my game has just rounded out. When I came into the league, I was a shooter. When my shot wasn’t going in, I was just a driver. Now, I’m more of a passer. I know when to make the right passes, get to the rack and shoot the ball, which is what I’ve always done. It’s all come around. It feels almost effortless.”

IF he has really thrived at the 1 position so much and been monitored and trained exclusively at it since he went to the Viperso n the d-league(where he had his statistical turnaround and became an all around better player) then it only helps us more.  If Goudelock has figured out how to be a combo guard effectively that can score, if we win today he can do some real damage in the playoffs off the bench.

Edited by Majesty, April 17, 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#154 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:51 AM

https://twitter.com/...609198262464512

D'Antoni on Goudelock: "The plan is to use him ... We'll see how the game goes, but he's ready to play. He looks good ... He's fearless"

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#155 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Average D-League annual salaries are $12,000 - $24,000 + a $30.00 daily expense

So no, they make right around (if not less) then your average Joe, but at least they're getting paid to do what they love (with a chance to get that big promotion)

don't they pay for living expenses though like the UFL?

cause the ufl pays for living expenses and you have a salary on top of that, which is a bit better than the d-league

#156 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 12:52 PM

https://twitter.com/...609198262464512

Awesome, hope he's been impressing in practice.

#157 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 17, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'm thinking Goudelock will play 15-20 minutes tonight, more if he's really lighting it up. I'm not so sure Blake can pull another 20+ point performance, so we'll need offense from somebody. That being said, I'm really liking Blake's defense as of late. 

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:39 PM

It's unfortunate he didn't get to play more tonight. MDA is in love with Jodie.

yo.

#159 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:41 PM

It's unfortunate he didn't get to play more tonight. MDA is in love with Jodie.

Worked out in the end though considering how off his three was.  That drive and dunk was a move he should do more often. He HAS hops.

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Will he ever play? Can he really be that much worse than Meeks at this point?

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users