Photo

Andrew Goudelock back with the Lakers (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#221 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 01:17 AM

^^ That's my boy! GOD-ON-LOCK!!!

Edited by Goku, April 27, 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#222 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,447 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted April 27, 2013 - 01:19 AM

Always liked Goudelock, except for his defense.

Never liked 1-dimensional Meeks, even his defense and overrated pick n roll defense. He's an inch taller, though... not sure if that does a lot

Edited by alec613, April 27, 2013 - 01:20 AM.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#223 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,992 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 27, 2013 - 01:20 AM

^^ That's my boy! GOD-ON-LOCK!!!

yeah a line like "He's gotta guard me too so I'm not worried about Tony Parker" spews confidence.

Like the kids confidence and fearlessness.   He'll fit well here.  

Kobe calls him Mini-Mamba so I'd assume he didn't do it just to be nice.   Kid showed out tonight and backs up talk, lets hope he keeps doing that.

He can't defend someone like Parker, but he can defend someone like Green.

Morris has to stay out of foul trouble as he can at least contain Parker.

Notice Parker went off when Goudelock defended him and Dwight went to the bench.  He waits for the most opportune time.   And in game 2 he waited till Dwight was out and went inside on Gasol all night.

if Goudelock can go off again, Morris and Dwight can stay out of foul trouble, we may have a shot on Sunday.

Thiago S not probable for Sunday's game

this as well.

Edited by Majesty, April 27, 2013 - 01:22 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#224 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,312 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 27, 2013 - 06:37 AM

wow guys given an opportunity to play meaningful mins showout & outplay the over paid vets = nothing new. damn shame it takes all these injuries for you to realize you have to play the talent on your roster. smfh

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#225 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,672 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 27, 2013 - 07:17 AM

^ that part...
Posted Image

#226 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,272 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 27, 2013 - 07:49 AM

I hope we can re-sign him, he can score in so many more ways then Meeks, that floater is deadly 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 02:33 PM

yo.

#228 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 27, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Why do people hate Morris so much but love Goudelock so much?? Even though Morris Scored 24 and had 6 assists?

#229 viktorkain

viktorkain

Rookie

• 365 posts
  • Name:Viktor Kain
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted April 27, 2013 - 06:06 PM

Why do people hate Morris so much but love Goudelock so much?? Even though Morris Scored 24 and had 6 assists?

It has always been this way with NBA fans, People overlook good defense, hustle and assists and focus on how well a person can shoot the ball. 

#230 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,001 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Morris couldnt improve his game, me personally i dont have anything against him but he's not  a fast learner .. 2 years and hap couple of opportunities but i dont see any change, sure he's more puffed than last year but his game is the same ..

Dribbles the ball to the baseline then goes back again .. He uses his legs way more than his mind ..

But to give credit, he's our best perimeter defender after kobe..

If he could perfect his game defensively and be consistent in shooting 3's, then yeah he'd be a good pg behind blake.. 

Dribbles the ball to the baseline then goes back again .. He uses his legs way more than his mind ..

#231 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:05 PM

LOS ANGELES -- It was hard for Andrew Goudelock not to smile as he sat in front of his locker, even after the Los Angeles Lakers’ 120-89 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Friday night.

He wasn’t smiling because he scored 20 points and was the leading scorer on the Lakers for much of the game.

He wasn’t smiling because the D-League MVP trophy he was given before the game was sitting right behind him, placed in a cardboard box that looked like it had just been shipped to him overnight.

And he wasn’t smiling because Metta World Peace was teasing him about being surrounded by dozens of reporters and cameras.

He was smiling because he was simply sitting in an NBA locker room again.

Not bad for a guy who went from making about $475,000 last season to borrowing money from his college girlfriend to pay his bills last month.

“I’m broke,” Goudelock said. “I’m cool. Nobody would know that I’m broke. I just come here with a smile on my face.”

It’s an unusual confession for an NBA player starting in the playoffs to make, but Goudelock wasn’t even in the league two weeks ago.

Goudelock, who was a second-round draft pick of the Lakers in 2011, was cut Oct. 27 prior to the season opener. He ended up being drafted by the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the D-League and later traded to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, where he averaged 21.4 points and won the D-League MVP, an award he didn’t even know existed before he won it.

Less than two weeks ago, the Lakers signed him for the final two games of the regular season and playoffs after Kobe Bryant ruptured his Achilles tendon.

“This business just keeps getting crazier,” Goudelock said. “I wouldn’t think I’d be here two weeks ago. Nothing happens the way it’s supposed to happen. This is a great opportunity, going from the D-League a week and a half ago to starting in the playoffs. It shows you the nature of the business.”

Business wasn’t so good for Goudelock after being cut by the Lakers. Despite playing well in front of dozens of fans in cities like Bakersfield, Calif.; Canton, Ohio; and Erie, Pa., Goudelock was living paycheck to paycheck after finishing up his rookie salary.

“I was so broke I had to borrow money,” he said. “I’ve had the same girlfriend since college, and I had to call her to give me money and she’s still in college, but I didn’t have any other choice. I didn’t want to call my parents. I’m too old for that. Some days I couldn’t even eat, and she sent me money. It’s definitely an experience I’m going to tell my kids about.”

Goudelock made about $1,200 every two weeks while he was in the D-League, and his per diem was $40. Before the Lakers left for San Antonio for a four-day trip, his per diem was slightly different.

“When I got my per diem, I was the happiest guy in the world. It was $500!” Goudelock said. “I took that! That’s like half my check in the D-League. … You go to the D-League, and you basically lose money. I used to tell people I might as well work at Burger King or do something else, but it all pays off.”

Goudelock didn’t want to bother his parents with monetary requests while he was struggling this season, but after he called to let them know he would be starting Friday, they surprised him at the game by getting on the first flight they could from Atlanta to Los Angeles.

“It took them a lot of money to come here, but I’m glad they’re here,” Goudelock said. “I’m glad they got to see me play.”

goudelock-mvp-130426-650.jpg

As Goudelock talked about his experiences on the road, on buses and sleeping on floors, he smiled again as he looked across the locker room at Darius Morris. He and Morris were both selected in the second round of the 2011 NBA draft by the Lakers, five picks apart, but didn’t want to have anything to do with each other when they both got to Los Angeles.

“We really didn’t like each other,” Goudelock said. “We would compete all the time, and we ended up being real good friends. We never thought this would happen.”

No one thought this would happen. Bryant’s injury might have brought Goudelock back to Los Angeles, but injuries to Steve Nash, Steve Blake and Jodie Meeks catapulted him and Morris into the starting lineup Friday. Goudelock had 20 points and three steals while Morris added 24 points and six assists.

“Every time we look at each other we say this is crazy,” Goudelock said. “When we first got here, I don’t even think we spoke to each other. It was a completion thing. In training camp, I said that’s the enemy, but as time went on, we were doing this together and we got really, really close.

"When I was in the D-League, he would text me and call me and ask me about certain situations. He had my back just like I had his. I’m just glad that we get this opportunity to go out and play together.”

This was certainly not the way Goudelock and Morris wanted to get their moment in the playoff spotlight. They began the season as third stringers in a backcourt behind Bryant, Nash, Meeks and Blake, but if this season has taught them anything, it’s that nothing ever goes exactly the way you plan it. Goudelock wouldn’t have it any other way.

"For a guy like me, I've been through so many different types of situations, and it seems like I'm always the one that gets the short end of the stick,” he said. “But, you know, I always just try to keep a smile on my face, keep my head up, and you know you're always going to be where you're supposed to be. If you're working hard, if you're really working hard and you want something, you're going to get there. Nobody is going to be able to stop you from getting there whether you get the short end of the stick or not."

Lol interesting dynamic between him and Morris...its kinda similar to Sasha and Farmar they just cant get rid of each other, after LAL they ended up in NJ, after NJ they're teammates in Turkey

But forreal though I didnt expect a guy like Glock who stayed in school 4 yrs to go broke after earning $475K...after paying off agent/school debt/income taxes/trainers he should have enough right? Crazy

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#232 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,992 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Lol interesting dynamic between him and Morris...its kinda similar to Sasha and Farmar they just cant get rid of each other, after LAL they ended up in NJ, after NJ they're teammates in Turkey

But forreal though I didnt expect a guy like Glock who stayed in school 4 yrs to go broke after earning $475K...after paying off agent/school debt/income taxes/trainers he should have enough right? Crazy

Yeah im glad he's getting a chance too.   Hopefully he has a great performance Sunday as well.  If he does then Im prettysure he gets the contract with us.

#233 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Quite a big difference between scoring meaningful baskets during the game and stat-padding in garbage time. He finished the first half with 6 points and scored his final 16 points when we were already down 20+.

I was there at the game, Morris kept making mistake after mistake like usual. Sure he scored a few buckets (once San Antonio went into cruise control), but he was horrible in basically every other aspect of the game. Goudelock was only taken advantage of on the defensive end when he was posted up by Kawhi Leonard on the block, otherwise he was solid. Morris on the other hand... just awful.

He would never fight over any pick despite getting burned countless time, lost his man on the switch off the pick many many times, would lose his man in transition (even when he was back there with him on a leak-out), and his decision-making is still absolutely terrible. For a guy who was supposedly defensive stopper material according to some fans (Why would anyone believe that? D'Antoni was the one who gave him that endorsement!), he is just absolutely TERRIBLE on that end.

He hurt us way more than he helped us yesterday, despite anything you might read from a boxscore.

#234 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Andrew Goudelock is a system player. He'll never be a multi-faceted player in the NBA, but he has a very specific skillset that teams can definitely make use of. Shooting is always in high demand, and he's shown himself capable of scoring a handful of points each game at the NBA level. Not a great defender by any means, but he's solid enough that a team can cover his weaknesses with the right defensive scheme.

For some reason I get the feeling that if we don't resign him that he'll somehow end up with San Antonio in the future. They are amazing at picking up guys like him and maximizing their abilities.

#235 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:33 PM

People love Goudelock because he dares to shoot those floaters over anyone, and make them. Not to mention his perimeter shooting. He has serious talent and if polished under the right system he can be what we need off the bench. He has also more mature attitude compared to Morris. Call it the age difference if you want but I don't think that is the case. We expected Morris to become the main facilitator off the bench after the draft. He had so many assist per game in college but it never translated to NBA. He didn't improve. Instead he went off to showboating. Goudelock was always playing in the gameplan. That is what it seperates them the most.

#236 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Also Morris has been the whole year he got plenty of opportunities the 1st 2 months of the season with Blake and Nash out and he looked horrible. Then they changed his role to just play defense/hustle and not suck on offense but he couldn't even handle that reduced role.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#237 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,020 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:34 AM

How he blew 475k and ended up broke in not even a year is beyond me. But then again, AI blew 150mil, so he shouldn't feel too bad.

#238 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,770 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted April 28, 2013 - 01:17 AM

^prob bought a ferrari and that's all she wrote lol!

#239 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,992 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 02:04 AM

Andrew Goudelock is a system player. He'll never be a multi-faceted player in the NBA, but he has a very specific skillset that teams can definitely make use of. Shooting is always in high demand, and he's shown himself capable of scoring a handful of points each game at the NBA level. Not a great defender by any means, but he's solid enough that a team can cover his weaknesses with the right defensive scheme.

For some reason I get the feeling that if we don't resign him that he'll somehow end up with San Antonio in the future. They are amazing at picking up guys like him and maximizing their abilities.

A "very particular set of skills" if you will.

#240 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,992 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 02:15 AM

Metta World Peace ninjas himself as reporter to interview Andrew Goudelock

http://www.insidesoc...view-goudelock/

Edited by Majesty, April 28, 2013 - 02:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users