#1 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:26 AM

It sounds nuts, but if the Lakers get the 7th seed and Steve Nash returns for the postseason I truly believe the Lakers can make a deep postseason run if they can avoid Oklahoma City.

Here's why Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol are finally playing good at the same time. Pau looks like a 2010 Pau when we beat the Celtics in the Finals and Howard looks like a 2009 Dwight when he led Orlando to the Finals. They have really done a good job with the high to low lob pass. Teams will have to double them which obviously leave the shooters open. Nash, Blake, Meeks, Jamison, Clark, and World Peace will need to make shots to spread the floor for Dwight and Pau.

Let's go back to 2011. The Memphis Grizzlies despite missing their best scorer/player in Rudy Gay were one game from making the West Finals. Why? Their bigs in Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph were dominant down low and their shooters spread the floor. I don't know about you, but I think Dwight and Pau are better.

Houston lost last night and we obviously play them in the season finale so we could still get that 7th seed which would set up a date with the San Antonio Spurs who coincidently were the team that got upset by Memphis a couple of seasons ago because they had no answer for their bigs. As would be the case should the Lakers and Spurs meet in the first round. Tiago Splitter has no chance against Dwight Howard. They'll certaintly need to help which means watch out.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, April 13, 2013 - 08:29 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#2 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,911 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:28 AM

You do realize that a team that was marginal at best just lost probably the 3rd best player in the league and could quite easily just miss the playoffs?

#3 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:30 AM

I hope they'll compete hard, no idea how and if they will

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#4 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

You do realize that a team that was marginal at best just lost probably the 3rd best player in the league and could quite easily just miss the playoffs?

Yes I realize that, but I also realize that we still have two highly skilled bigs in Gasol and Howard and a great point guard in Nash.
htCCl0m.png

#5 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,529 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

stop.

#6 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:33 AM

I hope they'll compete hard, no idea how and if they will

They definitely will. One thing we've learned about the Lakers is they don't quit. Even when we seemed to be dead in the water at 17-25 they fought back to get back in the playoff race
htCCl0m.png

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,938 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:34 AM

I like the optimism but a few things:

1) Rudy Gay's impact is not the same as Kobe's. 

2) Memphis played defense

3) Memphis played their bench, not just two players. 

4) Memphis was athletic and caused issues. 

Could they make a deep run? Sure.  But considering the best player on the team just went down and was one of the main reasons why this team was even in games down the stretch, it doesn't look.  We'll see more team ball obviously but Nash isn't a great point guard, he's good, but he's not great. 

Lets hope they get to the playoffs first. The stage is set for Dwight Howard, let's see if he can rise to the occasion. 

#8 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,443 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:37 AM

If Nash even plays. Could have a starting backcourt of Blake and Meeks. That's bad. If we make the playoffs it'll be ugly. Still possibly have to somehow beat the Spurs and Rockets. I don't completely doubt that we can't, we beat the Pacers in Indy without Kob'. But that was a defensive-minded team, these are high powered offenses and we don't have the 3rd leading scorer in the league anymore to help us keep pace.

#9 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 712 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Howard is NOT 2009 Howard. He is maybe 70% of that Howard.  

Gasol is also NOT 2010 Gasol.  He is close (maybe 90%), but still not that.

And I dont even need to speak about Nash not being 100%...

#10 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,489 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:42 AM

I don't think they will win it all, or even pass the first round without Kobe Bean Bryant, however I do believe they will make it and compete hard. I say they take Spurs/OKC to game 7 and end up losing, I still will root for this team no matter what. I would be happy if they compete hard.

Off-season: 1. Get Rid of the Coach 2. Sign Howard 3. Trade Pau for some one that can play lock down D.

Posted Image

#11 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,911 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Lets be real, they are way more likely to not make the playoffs than make anything even resembling a run.  I do think they will make the playoffs, I expect them to play inspired against 2 teams that may be resting their players, and even with Kobe I would expect them to get demolished by whomever they face in the 1st round.  Won't be any better without him, that is for certain.

#12 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:57 AM

I like the optimism but a few things:

1) Rudy Gay's impact is not the same as Kobe's. 

2) Memphis played defense

3) Memphis played their bench, not just two players. 

4) Memphis was athletic and caused issues. 

Could they make a deep run? Sure.  But considering the best player on the team just went down and was one of the main reasons why this team was even in games down the stretch, it doesn't look.  We'll see more team ball obviously but Nash isn't a great point guard, he's good, but he's not great. 

Lets hope they get to the playoffs first. The stage is set for Dwight Howard, let's see if he can rise to the occasion. 

Steve Nash is great in the sense that he's still a great facilitator and shooter. He can make up for some of the things we'll be missing woth Kobe. Sure that Grizzlies team may have been more athletic and deeper, but they also didn't have a point guard like Nash or a big man like Dwight. The key is really gonna be Howard's mental approach. This is his team now. He can either rise up to the occasion and leave no doubt that he's a championship caliber first option or he can falter and get swept in the first round.
htCCl0m.png

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,831 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:09 AM

lol at it again........Without Kobe, we are lucky to make it pass the 2nd round and that is being generous.

Edited by LakeShow805, April 13, 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#14 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,104 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:17 AM

It will be interesting to see Nash, Gasol, and Howard no doubt.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#15 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:21 AM

lol at it again........Without Kobe, we are lucky to make it pass the 2nd round and that is being generous.

You don't think a team with Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and Steve Nash can make a run?

Shame on you sir. Prepare to be proven wrong.

The true mark of a championship team is how you deal with adversity. Our leading man Kobe Bryant is done for the season. How do we deal with it? Do we roll over and quit or do we rise above the adversity like men and play our damn hearts out and win for Kobe?

I believe it's the latter. Beat San Antonio and Houston, make the playoffs, and let's make some noise.

Go Lakers Go.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, April 13, 2013 - 09:23 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#16 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,561 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Without Kobe this team is in trouble. Dantoni now has a five man rotation. As long as MDA is around this team is not doing anything

#17 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 2,857 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:34 AM

silly.. without kobe we are nothing!

we are going to get swept...

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#18 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,266 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Without Kobe I don't see it. Love the optimism though. Honestly just get into the playoffs so we can salvage something good out of this horrendous season.

Edited by LakersChamps243, April 13, 2013 - 09:39 AM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#19 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Call me crazy but I still believe we can beat anyone not named OKC or LAC in the playoffs.

Oh, I'd love to face SA in the 1st round... not scared... not scared at all!!!

* that's assuming Nash returns tomorrow or tuesday

Posted Image

#20 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 176 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Worthy

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Maybe these dudes will wake up and realize how hard kobe works for this team and follow his example. If they go all out on defense and play as a team I could see them making some noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users