Photo

How far can Dwight Howard take us?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,938 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:10 AM

This is the question we need to be asking right now.

Dwight is probably as good as he's gonna be condition and health wise right now and he has been playing well with Pau.

But we're undoubtedly going to be playing through him now.

The question is, how far can he take us?

We're obviously going to probably playing inside out more often with this guy, he has lead a lesser team "on paper" to the finals but the question Is how far can he take us. With Nash, Blake, Clark, Meeks, Metta, Jamison on the perimeter and Gasol,Clark, Metta inside with him.

We have Dwight, Nash, Metta, Pau, Blake, Clark, Meeks, Jamison and Hill(if we make the 2nd round)

The question is, can Dwight Howard first of all lead us to the playoffs, and how far can he take us now that we're undoubtedly going to be going through him?

Edited by Majesty, April 13, 2013 - 01:12 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,856 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:12 AM

It all starts with defense, just look at the damn bulls!!

Play physical and talk to each other.

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE!!!! it you see someone driving it in, foul and give him a little extra, never go under screens never!!

#3 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:14 AM

We're a first round exit if we make it into the playoffs. Horrid coach who can't make adjustments, can't manage minutes and rotations, and has no system on either end of the floor. No Kobe Bryant to cover his ass and will us to victory.

We get torn to bits in the 1st round. It would take a miracle for us to even think of competing against the likes of OKC or San Antonio.

#4 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,627 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:16 AM

I think we can still make the playoffs, and then he can lead us to a four game sweep at the hands of OKC. With Kobe, I was thinking we could squeak out one win, two max, but no way was that series gonna go more than six games. Without him, should be over quicker than you can say "gone fishing".

#5 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,270 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:23 AM

Depends on how far Nash can lead the team. Pau has pretty much settled his ground and will play important role in upcoming games. Dwight and MWP seem affected by Kobe's sacrifice (or sacrifice, ugh, of Kobe however you take it) and will play their hearts out. It comes to Nash. He needs to copy Kobe's game and be aggressive. We need him to score 20s. Rest is taking care of things on defense.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,938 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:24 AM

If we win the next 2 games we're the 7th seed or the 6th seed. If we're the 7th, we can beat the Spurs. Then its just a factor of who we play in the second round.

I also expect Metta to play his heart out. Part of me wishes he'd get to "Rockets" form cause that"s what we'd need.

But in terms of effort, I'm not worried about Blake, Clark, Nash, Howard, Metta or even Gasol at this point. I'm worried more about the effort of Meeks and Jamison, those are our main x-factors with Kobe out imo. If they can both show up in the playoffs asnd the end of the season we're dangerous against any team, if they put up their 0 and 3 performances of today.. Its an early trip.

Edited by Majesty, April 13, 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#7 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:33 AM

The team isn't constructed for Dwight to lead, so it won't be far.

1) The head coach does not coach an offense centered around post play, and he has never been able to connect with any big man post players in the past, including Shaq.

2) Our shooters are too inconsistent, currently 19th in the league in 3PT makes, to give Dwight room to operate down low.

3) There is no defensive system in place to make Howard's job easier on that end of the court, which puts him into early foul trouble AND/OR wears him down quicker.

-------

So, to succeed, it's going to take an offense running through Pau Gasol, simply because one running through Nash is too fast for our older guys (and again, we don't have the shooters)...and a defense that heavily relies on perimeter lock-downs.

Gasol hasn't had this much responsibility since 2008, and defensively, Nash and Meeks aren't going to cut it.

It's done.

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,938 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:42 AM

The team isn't constructed for Dwight to lead, so it won't be far.

1) The head coach does not coach an offense centered around post play, and he has never been able to connect with any big man post players in the past, including Shaq.

2) Our shooters are too inconsistent, currently 19th in the league in 3PT makes, to give Dwight room to operate down low.

3) There is no defensive system in place to make Howard's job easier on that end of the court, which puts him into early foul trouble AND/OR wears him down quicker.

-------

So, to succeed, it's going to take an offense running through Pau Gasol, simply because one running through Nash is too fast for our older guys (and again, we don't have the shooters)...and a defense that heavily relies on perimeter lock-downs.

Gasol hasn't had this much responsibility since 2008, and defensively, Nash and Meeks aren't going to cut it.

It's done.

Guess the question is if Gasol could handle that respoinsibility... Evidence. Of the last few years say no though unfortunately.

Not giving up hope but things are very bleak right now unless Pau somehow shows up one final time but even then, unless Meeks somehow goes on a hot streak its bleak.

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:47 AM

Gasol has been able to pass the ball very well, but most of that is a given when you have a superstar drawing so much defensive attention (Kobe).

With just Howard, it gets much easier to defend Gasol. Nash doesn't get to the rim like he used to, and he's probably not going to play in these last two games anyway (and if he does, he'll likely be playing injured), so Gasol's trip-doubs will be five times more difficult to rack up...namely the assists.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,938 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:53 AM

Gasol has been able to pass the ball very well, but most of that is a given when you have a superstar drawing so much defensive attention (Kobe).

With just Howard, it gets much easier to defend Gasol. Nash doesn't get to the rim like he used to, and he's probably not going to play in these last two games anyway (and if he does, he'll likely be playing injured), so Gasol's trip-doubs will be five times more difficult to rack up...namely the assists.

Because of the attention Kobe gathers.

You are correct there, however having Nash on the perimeter is a bigger factor even with Kobe out.

That means a LOT of perimeter shots are going to go to Nash which is something we've needed to take advantage of all season tbh. I watch Blake draw and setup shots for both Dwight and Pau away from the defense, even if Nash can't drive like he used to he should still be able to draw enough attention to find one of them.

The frustrating thing is that it would very rarely be Nash to Dwight. It would be Nash to Pau to Dwight and like you said, they aren't gonna double Nash like they double Kobe.

However since trapping Nash was what worked so well for teams this year that may be a good thing.

Even so, having Nash on the perimeter being feed by Pau and Dwight does give me some semblencer of hope

I honestly would rather see a lineup of Blake, Nash, Howard, Gasol. Because Meeks has been by far one of the biggest disappointments this year imo.

Nash and Blake on the perimeter could be effective enough to give Dwight room to roam. Its everyone else I worry about x_x

And I worry cause it'd basically be depending on Blake and Nash to carry our offense while Howard and Gasol aren't scoring.

And even saying that is enough to make one scratch their head and go "what..."

Edited by Majesty, April 13, 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 01:59 AM

I know you're being ultra-positive, but Nash hasn't taken advantage of that opportunity all year long, even with Kobe in "Magic Johnson mode" not too long ago.

Nash has shot more 3PTA/G in 14 of his 17 seasons.

He is currently 6th on the team in 3PTA/G, with three of those five above him (Meeks, Jamison, Blake) logging less minutes a night.

Nash hasn't played that way all season long. We have two games left, two that he could miss. We just lost our primary ball-handler and best facilitator.

It's very unlikely Nash is going to become a spot-up shooter with Kobe gone.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,938 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 02:07 AM

I know you're being ultra-positive, but Nash hasn't taken advantage of that opportunity all year long, even with Kobe in "Magic Johnson mode" not too long ago.

Nash has shot more 3PTA/G in 14 of his 17 seasons.

He is currently 6th on the team in 3PTA/G, with three of those five above him (Meeks, Jamison, Blake) logging less minutes a night.

Nash hasn't played that way all season long. We have two games left, two that he could miss. We just lost our primary ball-handler and best facilitator.

It's very unlikely Nash is going to become a spot-up shooter with Kobe gone.

Yeah it is, other than the fact he'd have no choice.

Yeah I'm the ultra positive type even in the worst scenarios :P

It's just that even without Kobe these guys "should" be able to accept these roles.

Even with Kobe in magic Johnson mode Nash didn't become an ultra spot up shooter(as has been stated before, Blake does more of what we need Nash to do than Nash does)

But if we're playing inside out they'd have to leave someone open, I really do think Nash could shoot from the perimeter effectively as a spot up shooter in that system. The problem is how healthy Nash would be upon returning and what we'd be asking him to do.

We COULD play double post with Gasol and Howard and have them take advantage of interior double teams.

But I don't know..something just tells me if we make the playoffs we'll make more noise than we're expected to.

Amazing thing is, I played assosiation mode in 2k13 this week with the Lakers and Kobe went down right before the playoffs too and somehow we made it to the finals.

Take that with a gran of salt cause that team had kyrie irving carmelo anthony and kevin love too :P

But back to reality..

I think Nash will make it work as a spot up if we're running it through Dwight or Pau.

But like I said. I only trust it with Nash and Blake at the 1-2. Meeks will undoubtedly get open shots all day..but he'll only make 1 of 8 sadly...

Hence why I think he's gone this off-season or part of a trade package.

But I'm shocked Meeks has gotten more 3 attemps than Nash this year. Know the percentage? I know Blakes 3 point percentage is 10 percent higher than last year.what about Meeks?

Edited by Majesty, April 13, 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 02:26 AM

We won't be able to run double post. It's not that difficult to run, but for D'Antoni (and this isn't me slamming him right now, I'm actually considering how he has coached over time), he would only be able to coach something like a 4-out/1-in offense that we adopted last year for Bynum.

And I doubt he'd be able to coach it, honestly...BUT...

Howard, in Orlando, played that exact offense. Gasol is a high-IQ player. Nash has a high IQ.

--------

Meeks is probably the third-best 3PT shooter on the team. Don't know the percentage right off my head, but for those who take a significant amount, he's probably better than all but Nash and Blake. Jamison may be ahead of him.

Yeah, we could run Nash/Blake, but that's a player who is 30-40 pounds less than Meeks, and also probably a couple inches shorter. Meeks isn't a defender, but neither is Blake as a two-guard.

Kobe gave us 27 a night, on 46+ percent shooting. Also important, he was a defender...regardless if he gave up on close-outs every now and then, he was still an elite on-ball defensive player, and a guy who could nearly shut down Russell Westbrook (which is important).

It's April 13th. The playoffs start on the 20th. No reason for me to be confident in an incompetent coach having to install an entirely different offense, plus make up for the defense we're going to lose.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,938 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 02:33 AM

We won't be able to run double post. It's not that difficult to run, but for D'Antoni (and this isn't me slamming him right now, I'm actually considering how he has coached over time), he would only be able to coach something like a 4-out/1-in offense that we adopted last year for Bynum.

And I doubt he'd be able to coach it, honestly...BUT...

Howard, in Orlando, played that exact offense. Gasol is a high-IQ player. Nash has a high IQ.

--------

Meeks is probably the third-best 3PT shooter on the team. Don't know the percentage right off my head, but for those who take a significant amount, he's probably better than all but Nash and Blake. Jamison may be ahead of him.

Yeah, we could run Nash/Blake, but that's a player who is 30-40 pounds less than Meeks, and also probably a couple inches shorter. Meeks isn't a defender, but neither is Blake as a two-guard.

Kobe gave us 27 a night, on 46+ percent shooting. Also important, he was a defender...regardless if he gave up on close-outs every now and then, he was still an elite on-ball defensive player, and a guy who could nearly shut down Russell Westbrook (which is important).

It's April 13th. The playoffs start on the 20th. No reason for me to be confident in an incompetent coach having to install an entirely different offense, plus make up for the defense we're going to lose.

Very true, but Kobe will also be on the sidelines, I think adding that IQ to our "coaching staff" and practices could be very important, I'm sure he knows what he's doing more than some others.

Kobe pretty much gave the impression that he'll be in the film rooms, coaching on the sidelines and thinking strategies against opponents and find their weakpoints etc.

With that said I think having Kobe on the sidelines coaching and not "just" D'antoni we'll be running some of those things D'antoni won't.

I think Kobe helps us a lot in the coaching and drawing things up aspect that adds more to the "coaching" side of things, if that's the case there may be hope yet on what kind of plays we'll run.

#15 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,040 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Kobe played his ass off to make a playoff spot, would you think him helping on film will be influenced by others ?

Only reason i see we play with effort is that others want to step up, and collectively we might make it to the playoffs and maybe avoid going 0-4 in the first round ..

fyi, when kobe stepped out we made only one field goal and the others were free throws..

Could be one or two, not sure.

#16 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted April 13, 2013 - 05:41 PM

We still have Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, and Pau Gasol. That is still a big three. Everyone has to step up. Everyone including the coach. We have to play as a whole different team from the next game. Our bench players have to step up. The farthest we go depends on our "big 3." Kobe won't be playing so Nash will handle the ball again. Dwight and Pau can continue the double post thing they've been doing recently. It's gonna be tough but I say we get to the second round.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#17 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,496 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 13, 2013 - 05:54 PM

We will make the playoffs but lose in the first round.

Posted Image

#18 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 922 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 06:37 PM

This is when a 2010 versatile lamar would come in so handy

Actually, any player that can draw some defensive attention would be a great fit right about now

Edited by LakersFanatic, April 13, 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,938 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:44 PM

Same opinions?

#20 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 04:42 AM

Same opinions?

So far, yes.  We've only gone two regular season games with this team, minus Kobe.  I believe the focal point was our playoff run.

Something that needs to be said, though: we should be somewhat happy that Nash is sitting the sidelines, because we lose that game last night with him playing.  There's no way he would have been able to contain Lin the way Steve Blake and Darius Morris did.

I think we may be the luckiest team in the West, landing the top four opponent we want (Spurs), but it won't be an easy task.  I think a lot of us assumed the Rockets wouldn't choke against Phoenix, and we'd come out 8th and playing OKC.  That would have been a disaster...because this team cannot beat the Thunder without Kobe (and probably wouldn't be able to with him).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users