1885 replies to this topic

#1181 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,572 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:02 AM

i was at some shoe shop yesterday, i was holing a blackmamba shoe and it suddenly came to me that could it have been the shoes that allowed the injury? i mean the "lowcut" design was supposed to give maximum freedom on the ankle area. and this freedom on the ankle led to the rapture of the achilles....

i was thinking if he were wearing atleast a medium cut or a highcut, the injury could've been prevented????

then i watched beckham's injury, he was wearing the soccer shoe which was very low cut.

Always suspected it played a role as well. And it seems like a number of players wear them.

BTW can anyone explain the trend of wearing those mouth pieces? 5 years ago NO ONE had them, now everyone.  I only remember about 3 or 4 players losing a tooth in the last decade or so wtf? Probably manufactured in china and slowly poisoning them (just a hunch)

Edited by kball, October 21, 2013 - 05:08 AM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#1182 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,073 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Low cut shoes may expose the ankles more, but take pressure off the knees.  Jabbar wore low cut shoes and swore by them.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#1183 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,572 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:56 AM

Low cut shoes may expose the ankles more, but take pressure off the knees.  Jabbar wore low cut shoes and swore by them.

Interesting. Had no idea. Would explain kobe switching maybe. Didn't he wear hightops for the majority of his career and we all know his knee issues

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#1184 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,806 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:24 AM

no way the shoes had anything to do with it...I don't really even buy that high tops help prevent ankle rolls anyway...I rolled my ankle many times in high tops in high school and college...been wearing kobes VIs for over a year now playing ball once a week and 0 rolls

if your ankle if going to roll, high top shoes aren't going to stop it, it's pretty much cloth...

Posted Image

#1185 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,572 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 09:34 AM

So no extra protection from tearing or rolling?

Must be some benefit from them, no?

#1186 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,063 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 21, 2013 - 10:49 AM

no way the shoes had anything to do with it...I don't really even buy that high tops help prevent ankle rolls anyway...I rolled my ankle many times in high tops in high school and college...been wearing kobes VIs for over a year now playing ball once a week and 0 rolls

if your ankle if going to roll, high top shoes aren't going to stop it, it's pretty much cloth...

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#1187 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 21, 2013 - 04:32 PM

And look what i found... 

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

Posted Image

#1188 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,572 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:46 AM

And look what i found... 

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

Glad we don't have to watch a shirtless barkley on tnt 20 years later is all im saying.

#1189 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,874 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not saying Kobe's shoes have anything to do with the injury. Honestly don't know about that. Just wanted to comment and say ever since I switched to high tops 3 years ago I have not rolled my ankle once (and I play twice a week), as opposed to when I would roll them once every other week. Nothing ever serious thankfully but would constantly have pain in my ankles because of it.

I know it's not steel but it's far from just cloth that's holding your ankles. Maybe coincidence but I can never go back to low tops.

/my thoughts

Me adding to the topic: Any news on Kobe? Last game I saw there was footage of him running back and forth on the court and shooting but that was almost a week ago I think.

#1190 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,281 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:10 PM

I've worn Kobe's for 3 years now, and have never sprained my ankle. I have twisted it, but that's normal, but it was just one of those that hurts for about 2 minutes. I've worn the 6's and the 8's, and they are both really comfortable, and they have never failed me ankle/foot wise. I can almost guarantee Kobe didn't get injured because of his shoes; in fact I think Kobe has the best basketball shoes. But back to his recovery, I think if Kobe has been sprinting for a week, he might be close to practicing, and that he might be back against the Rockets, because of Dwight, or against the Hawks, because of Dahntay Jones.

#1191 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,389 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Kobe got hurt because his body was telling him to get out of that game and he simple refused

The gift and the curse

#1192 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 23, 2013 - 12:10 PM

Kobe got hurt because his body was telling him to get out of that game and he simple refused

The gift and the curse

...we had a coach that couldn't control his players and was overplaying Kobe.

Thanks MDA. [expletive]ty ass coach

#1193 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,389 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:12 PM

...we had a coach that couldn't control his players and was overplaying Kobe.

Thanks MDA. [expletive]ty ass coach

If I wanted to alleviate blame from the most fiercest competitor I've ever seen, I would.

Phil let Kobe play through a bad back in the playoffs that could have been the END of Kobe's career in 2008.

Just STOP with letting Kobe off the hook.

Kobe is in his 18th season. No coach can tell him [expletive] and never could.

#1194 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,730 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:28 AM

If I wanted to alleviate blame from the most fiercest competitor I've ever seen, I would.

Phil let Kobe play through a bad back in the playoffs that could have been the END of Kobe's career in 2008.

Just STOP with letting Kobe off the hook.

Kobe is in his 18th season. No coach can tell him [expletive] and never could.

Yes they can...they are the coach. Thats their job. MDA is a coward. I'll give credit to Mike Brown because he benched Kobe when he was [expletive]ing up. 

MDA is a push over.

#1195 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 02:19 PM

Phil wouldn't have sat Kobe either.

I think its time to realize that reality. No coach in the NBA would have sat Kobe and said "Jodie Meeks.. Save us!!" Especially after Kobe hit two key threes to bring us back.

I was in the gameday thread, no one was saying pull Kobe when he hit those threes to bring us back in the game when we were struggling. Hindsight is 20/20. I credit the Lakers for putting a strong bench together this off-season so that it doesn't come down to that anymore.

What Thibs did with Derrick Rose was far worse.

Edited by Majesty, October 24, 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#1196 Eds24

Eds24

Rookie

• 59 posts
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 24, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Practice Interview. Kobe laughs off 25th ranking. Don't think he'll play opening night, says he scaled back some.

#1197 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,730 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Phil wouldn't have sat Kobe either.

I think its time to realize that reality. No coach in the NBA would have sat Kobe and said "Jodie Meeks.. Save us!!" Especially after Kobe hit two key threes to bring us back.

I was in the gameday thread, no one was saying pull Kobe when he hit those threes to bring us back in the game when we were struggling. Hindsight is 20/20. I credit the Lakers for putting a strong bench together this off-season so that it doesn't come down to that anymore.

What Thibs did with Derrick Rose was far worse.

1. Phil would have

2. phil wouldn't have played him 48 mins

3. We wouldn't be fighting for playoff position with Phil as the HC

#1198 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:02 PM

How do you know we wouldn' have? Our guys were dealing with injuries all year and we kept losing guys off the roster, is he suddenly gonna make duhon and morris who would be our starting and backup point guards better? Would he make them triangle point guards? Thu, Oct 24, 2013 how long would it have taken everyone other than kobe and gasol to get the triangle? We had no chemistry in the princeton or the simplistic d'antoni offense, but you expect them to just 'click' with the triangle with no training camp and the lineup constantly changing due to injuries?

You can't say that we wouldn't have struggled with Phil, with everything else happenoing that year there is just some things even he can't save.

Would gasol have been healthier? Would hill's bad hip suddenly been 100 percent? See what I mean?

Kobe would have had to carry us all over again and if it came down to it kobe would have played.

If you think phil would have pulled kobe with the playoffs on the line after kobe hits two big three pointers you're fooling yourself.

#1199 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,458 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:49 PM

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#1200 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█