What a conundrum!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,460 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 11, 2013 - 04:15 AM

As I've been saying for about 6 weeks now, our upcoming game vs the Spurs has the potential to decide everything in the West.

We will probably need to win the Spurs game to keep the 8 seed.

Unless of course Utah loses vs Minn which isn't likely.

But by winning the Spurs we help OKC secure the #1 seed.

And then in result we play OKC in round 1 instead of SA.

But if we lose we risk giving the 8 seed back to Utah.

Its a double edged blade.

Hypothetically if Utah does lose 1 of their 2 games vs Minnesota, giving the Lakers a 2 game lead with 3 left to play, would it be better to rest up and blow the Spurs game?

That way we pull SA in round 1?

Strategy wise the path of least resistance between OKC and SA is 100% a SA team that's also dealing with key injuries.

In this scenario what would you do?

Play to win the battle (Spurs game that doesn't impact our outcome) or lose to help better the chances of winning the war (round 1 vs SA)?

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#2 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,489 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 11, 2013 - 04:23 AM

At this point we need to just make the playoffs and not think about possible matchups. Would i prefer the Spurs? Sure, but we can't risk missing the playoffs.  

All we can do is hope SA wins 3 of their last 4 (lose against us), while OKC lose 2 of 4.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:09 AM

Pop is tanking.  Last night's game against Denver made it pretty evident, I thought.  Parker didn't play, no Ginobili, and Popovich sat Duncan for the entire fourth quarter...despite it being just 69-63 at the end of the third.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs let us have that game coming up, especially knowing that we would make OKC work harder than Utah would (simply because we have Kobe and Dwight).

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,103 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:14 AM

I hate tanking and Pop does it often...really don't like him.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,171 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:20 AM

We dont have a choice who to play because the Spurs will give us OKC if we make the playoffs. Popavich did a Popavich for many of these games. He couldnt care less if they have the number one seed.  And why would they want to have a potential to play us? Pop will rest some guys against us. The only thing is the Lakers are so unpredictable even if Pop let some highschool players out there for them, the Lakers will somehow struggle and end up having another close game for no reason. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#6 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 918 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:21 AM

I hate tanking and Pop does it often...really don't like him.

I'd give my left testicle for a coach like Pop.

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,103 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:23 AM

When you've been subjected to Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 918 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:25 AM

When you've been subjected to Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni

Even if I wasn't.... I think he's one of the top coaches in the league right now, and has been for a while.

#9 r9too

r9too

Rookie

• 29 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:37 AM

i'd rather face OKC than spurs. If the spurs are healthy they'd rip this lakers defense a new one with their ball movement and 3 point shooting. OKC has two guys that can score and play a lot of one on one, we can beat those guys. 

#10 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 406 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Even if I wasn't.... I think he's one of the top coaches in the league right now, and has been for a while.

He's an all time great, you don't have to like how he goes about his business but his level of consistency with these spurs is just astonishing. Best coach in the game today IMO

#11 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,214 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:40 AM

You know to be honest. I don't think OKC is as good as everybody thinks. Even though I think San Antonio is the preferable playoff oppenent, I think that OKC is worse this year than they were last year. Last year IMO, I think James harden was the killer for us, even though he shot horribly from the field, he got to the line so much in the fourth quarter, and he was able to control the offense and feed either Westbrook or Durant. Now that he's gone from OKC, Westbrook has a lot on his plate, I had made a prediction with some of my friends saying that I thought that Westbrook would make himself the #1 option on offense in OKC, he has. Don't get me wrong, I'm scared to death of Westbrook, mainly because we are going to have to stick Kobe on him, but remember last year Kobe was guarding him pretty well, the problem was since Kobe was guarding Russell, harden had free game with one of our smaller, less experienced guards. In the end Westbrook will want to take control (like usual) and Durant will not be featured in the offense, to our advantage. Westbrook has a loose screw in his head so when he gets irritated he is prone to force turnovers, throw bad shots, and most of all... Underutilize Durant.

So, although I'd prefer to play San Antonio, OKC is not as scary to me as they are to some people. Remember, we did beat them once this year.

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,906 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:26 AM

I like Pop, in the regular season...But if you're talking who I would want and Phil wasn't available

Doc

Rick Carliese

Tom Thibs

Pop

in that order

#13 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 778 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:42 AM

I guess it is better to face the toughest team in the west first than face them later if ever we get past the spurs in the 1st round. To see what they're made of.

#14 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:51 AM

With zero margin for error, you don't have the luxury of playing for position.  At this point, you just need to get into the tournament, which can only be *guaranteed* by winning your 3 remaining games.  A single loss and you no longer control your own destiny.  

#15 Peoples Hernandez

Peoples Hernandez

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 11, 2013 - 12:36 PM

Pop is tanking.  Last night's game against Denver made it pretty evident, I thought.  Parker didn't play, no Ginobili, and Popovich sat Duncan for the entire fourth quarter...despite it being just 69-63 at the end of the third.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs let us have that game coming up, especially knowing that we would make OKC work harder than Utah would (simply because we have Kobe and Dwight).

#16 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,476 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted April 11, 2013 - 12:45 PM

Crap. I wish we were in a position to tank a few games. 

But I say we win all the games we can to assure we're in the post season. 

2hf753r.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users