Dwight Howard resign extension

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,933 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:06 PM

I haven't thrown the towel in on the 2012-13 season yet. I believe we can win 4 of 5 (losing to SA) and the Jazz go 2-2 (losses to OKC and Memphis) and we make the cut.

Regardless its time to start concentrating on the #1 priority named Dwight Howard.

If we don't resign D12 all of the other roster moves are irrelevant.

Best case scenario: sign him to a extension before the seasons up.

Worst case scenario: Sign him during the FA period after other teams drive up the bottom line cost for us to re-acquire him. Along with serious pursuers, even teams that are semi interested and don't believe they have a shot will make bids, just to increase the Lakers cost to resign him thus hurting our remaining cap space. And that also impacts D12's decision to stay or leave. Its a screwed up economic circle to be at the center of.

Trade/sign/amnesty whoever. So what if D12 decides to leave. Ive been critical of Dwight because I wasn't sold on his long term intentions with the Lakers. Something he has given no clue whatsoever to. However I see how our future is now resting on the shoulders of his soon to be fulfilled 1 year contract.

We must act now!

#2 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,912 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:08 PM

I haven't thrown the towel in on the 2012-13 season yet. I believe we can win 4 of 5 (losing to SA) and the Jazz go 2-2 (losses to OKC and Memphis) and we make the cut.

Regardless its time to start concentrating on the #1 priority named Dwight Howard.

If we don't resign D12 all of the other roster moves are irrelevant.

Best case scenario: sign him to a extension before the seasons up.

Worst case scenario: Sign him during the FA period after other teams drive up the bottom line cost for us to re-acquire him. Along with serious pursuers, even teams that are semi interested and don't believe they have a shot will make bids, just to increase the Lakers cost to resign him thus hurting our remaining cap space. And that also impacts D12's decision to stay or leave. Its a screwed up economic circle to be at the center of.

Trade/sign/amnesty whoever. So what if D12 decides to leave. Ive been critical of Dwight because I wasn't sold on his long term intentions with the Lakers. Something he has given no clue whatsoever to. However I see how our future is now resting on the shoulders of his soon to be fulfilled 1 year contract.

We must act now!

There is no worst case scenario, he will get max money, the price won't be driven up, he is a max contract player, and the Lakers can offer him more than any other team.  Basically, what I'm trying to say, you can't really go up from maximum.

#3 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 10,933 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:13 PM

There is no worst case scenario, he will get max money, the price won't be driven up, he is a max contract player, and the Lakers can offer him more than any other team.  Basically, what I'm trying to say, you can't really go up from maximum.

so were gonna pay him $30 mill.

D12 and Kobe making $60 mill combined. I'm sorry but this season should have taught every Lakers fan that things just are not that simple anymore.

As if no other team will offer 25-30. The Hawks GM is on the radio once/week saying we wants D12 back in ATL and they have Josh Smith coming off the books. This will not be a lay down. If it was going to be D12 would have already signed a extension.

But we want the same thing, but theres still many variables in the equation to have things just be easy.

Edited by LakersGAFan, April 08, 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#4 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,767 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:14 PM

Fire Mike D'Antoni and I guarantee you will be happy with the decision Howard makes.

#5 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:15 PM

So you guys wanna have $60 mil wrapped up on two players...that's just great.

#6 -MagicKareemKobe-

-MagicKareemKobe-

Rookie

• 1,240 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:58 PM

He's getting the max. No way around it. He's a max player. IDGAF how much cap hell the Lakers are in. Let's be real here.

#7 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,290 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:59 PM

You don't let Dwight go.

The luxury tax increase won't hamper the Lakers due to the money they'll make IF they have a winning team on the court.

The first key is kicking D'Antoni outta town, then sign Dwight.

#8 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,658 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:59 PM

He's getting the max. No way around it. He's a max player. IDGAF how much cap hell the Lakers are in. Let's be real here.

So does that mean Kobe is gone after next year?  I am expecting Kobe to play atleast 4 more years the way he's been playing. How can we keep both Kobe abd Dwight after next season?

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#9 fido

fido

• 10,290 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Kobe is going nowhere.

One step at a time.  Fire D'Antoni, re-sign Dwight.  After that you think of the next moves.

#10 -MagicKareemKobe-

-MagicKareemKobe-

Rookie

• 1,240 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:00 PM

So does that mean Kobe is gone after next year?  I am expecting Kobe to play atleast 4 more years the way he's been playing. How can we keep both Kobe abd Dwight after next season?

I have no idea. I doubt Kobe plays four more years. But who knows.

#11 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,658 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:04 PM

I have no idea. I doubt Kobe plays four more years. But who knows.

I think he will play until he's 39 like Shaq.   I mean if Nash can do it why not Kobe?  And see how Kobe's been playing? its not like he is declining. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#12 fido

fido

• 10,290 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Kobe isn't retiring until he gets the scoring title.

About 3 more years.

#13 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,254 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:05 PM

so were gonna pay him $30 mill.
D12 and Kobe making $60 mill combined. I'm sorry but this season should have taught every Lakers fan that things just are not that simple anymore.
As if no other team will offer 25-30. The Hawks GM is on the radio once/week saying we wants D12 back in ATL and they have Josh Smith coming off the books. This will not be a lay down. If it was going to be D12 would have already signed a extension.
But we want the same thing, but theres still many variables in the equation to have things just be easy.

Somebody needs to go learn the salary cap rules before talking out of their behind.

Dwight's maximum contract will start at 18-19 million from the Lakers, that's the max we can offer. With 10-12% increases a year over 5 years. Every other team can only offer 4 years. That is our advantage in terms of signing Dwight

For all of you saying and talking about having 2 30 million players please research the salary cap before taking. Also Kobe is gone after next season.
Laker fan for life.

#14 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,254 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:11 PM

In addition Kobe only got up to 30 because he kept extending on to his contract since 2004. With extensions your money could always go up (Old CBA) that's why less players now sign extensions and just wait for the offseason they actually make more money as a FA as oppose to extensions. It's why Chris Paul, Bynum and Dwight Howard all waited to be "FA" because signing extensions actually makes them less.

So like I said guys research the CBA and salary cap before just assuming players are going to get 30 mil. No one is going to get 30 million ever again until the next CBA if not further into the future
Laker fan for life.

#15 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Somebody needs to go learn the salary cap rules before talking out of their behind.

Dwight's maximum contract will start at 18-19 million from the Lakers, that's the max we can offer. With 10-12% increases a year over 5 years. Every other team can only offer 4 years. That is our advantage in terms of signing Dwight

For all of you saying and talking about having 2 30 million players please research the salary cap before taking. Also Kobe is gone after next season.

Exactly I can honestly tell who are die hard fans and who know nothing about the NBA just by there post. We can offer Howard the Max if he wants to leave and take less money it's on him. But our offer is already set and that's the max

#16 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,254 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Just realised this part lol. No one can drive up the "bottom line" this is not a Jeremy Lin type of player where teams can drive up his salary and force others into bad moves. Dwights getting the "max" from every team regardless. Its really about CHOICE. He also makes a guaranteed extra 25 million or something because we can offer him that 5th year while other teams can only offer 4. So really thats not the "worst case". The "worst case" is Dwight saying bye bye and signing with another team. 

Heres some information

http://bleacherrepor...nba-free-agency

Howard’s first alternative may very well be to re-sign with his current team, the Los Angeles Lakers, given that no other squad in the Association will be able to provide him with a richer contract. Indeed, the Purple and Gold will be able to offer him approximately $117 million over the course of five years to retain his services.

The rest of the NBA will be operating from a position of weakness in comparison to the Los Angeles Lakers given that only his current team can present him with a five-year contract offer, whereas other teams with sufficient cap space only have the option of offering him a four-year contract for a maximum of approximately $87 million.

Edited by Lakers4Life, April 08, 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Laker fan for life.

#17 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,428 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 08, 2013 - 04:31 PM

I still think Dwight re-signs. Although I think our chances are better if we make the playoffs. All I know is I hope he makes his decision soon, because I have a feeling there won't be many offseason moves for the Lakers until Dwight decides. Dwight is the first domino.

#18 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 10,933 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 04:57 PM

taking this into consideration:

Most OVER PAID NBA Players:

http://finance.yahoo...-095806608.html

Dirk at 20.7 mill is on that list:

Compare any years stats of D12 to Dirks. Dirk wins all around and Forbes says even though he gives production, hes still over paid.

Honestly I dont believe Dwight is worth what Kobe and Lebron make, He COULD be in the future, but not yet. Not based on anything hes ever done in his career. But some of you EXPERTS that would instantly throw 25 mill at D12 w/o blinking a eye are not even open to a negotiation. lol. Dont start a business, you will go under. Thats whats advantageous of signing the extension now. You get to see where his hearts at and set the tone for his 13-14' earning potential before Mark Cuban does or some Billionaire Russian does,.

Edited by LakersGAFan, April 08, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#19 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,843 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:00 PM

taking this into consideration:

Most OVER PAID NBA Players:

http://finance.yahoo...-095806608.html

Dirk at 20.7 mill is on that list:

Compare any years stats of D12 to Dirks. Dirk wins all around and Forbes says even though he gives production, hes still over paid.

Honestly I dont believe Dwight is worth what Kobe and Lebron make, He COULD be in the future, but not yet. Not based on anything hes ever done in his career. But some of you EXPERTS that would instantly throw 25 mill at D12 w/o blinking a eye are not even open to a negotiation. lol. Dont start a business, you will go under. Thats whats advantageous of signing the extension now. You get to see where his hearts at and set the tone for his 13-14' earning potential before Mark Cuban does or some Billionaire Russian does,.

Hes won 3 DPOY in a row and he carried his team to the finals......

#20 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 10,933 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hes won 3 DPOY in a row and he carried his team to the finals......

Dirk won a title and series MVP

11x all star

12x NBA All team

2nd in scoring 3x....and hes still considered over paid.

I'm not dissing D12. I want him back at all costs. But $25 mill worthy he is not so we shouldnt and dont have to throw that figure out as if its no big deal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dwight Howard, resign, extension

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users