51 replies to this topic

#41 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,387 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:39 AM

Some just can't take criticism, and/or they don't like to read it about the Lakers.

I rarely brag about anything I say...but for this conversation, I'll point out that, over the last two preseasons, I have been pretty damn accurate about the make-up of our roster.  

What was the reaction to my posts?  At the time, they were "too early" because the Lakers either had two preseason games under their belt (last year's 66-game season) or we came into the season with a new roster (this time around).

Thing is, I watch multiple games every night.  I don't miss Lakers OR Thunder games, but I do catch quarters of almost every other team that plays (because I have the luxury of working from home).  I see how teams perform with players that we end up landing.  

So when Dwight comes here, I understand, right off the bat, how this roster has to be constructed.  When we reeled in Nash, I knew how we would have to play, and how he would have to adjust, given the inabilities we were going to have.  

Say what you want, call them preliminary assumptions, call them good guesses, I don't care...the point is, while teams DO improve over time, there are too many factors that limit that improvement.  Factors like bad coaching put a cap on teams trying to reach contention.  Old age and injuries create scenarios that teams have to follow in order to go far into the postseason (ex. us having to avoid the Nuggets, Clippers and Thunder).

Kobe's level of play has been consistent all season long, and he's playing great.  Dwight has improved since his return.  Other than that, though...Nash is having one of his worst seasons in recent memory, Jamison is inconsistent, Ron's defense is at an all-time low and he can't make a shot to save his life, Gasol can't play with Howard on the court (partially because of D'Antoni), and our coach is a one-dimensional run-and-gun promoter who doesn't install a defensive system and ended up throwing his hands in the air when we failed to run with Nash as a true point guard.

This season was doomed from the start.  The Princeton offense, and Mike Brown, would have been a better option than what we have right now.  People thrashed the idea, but Adelman's Kings made the Princeton work...people (and even professional analysts) seemed to forget that.  Those Kings nearly beat the dynasty Lakers in the playoffs (thanks Horry), and while having multiple options on offense (3rd in the NBA, running the Princeton), they were also an underrated defensive team (6th in the league).

The differences between Adelman, Brown, and D'Antoni?  Adelman is a head coach.  Brown is a defensive-minded head coach who has no idea how to coach offense.  D'Antoni is best served as an assistant for a young team that runs with a pass-first PG.  Pretty specific, but clear as day, at this point.

Fans can get mad reading it, but it's been true since the preseason.

Same here, I watch every team play and work from home as well, so I get to see teams that aren't the Lakers and I get to see teams play against teams that aren't the Lakers. I watch quarters or halves of every team in the league and have seen them all play at least a handful of complete games.  I was excited when they got Howard, not for this season, but because he is the potential future of the team, I didn't have any delusions that this team was championship material, despite what Sports Illustrated or ESPN had to say, because I watch them play every game.  I also had watched Steve Nash play plenty of games last season and knew that he was well past his prime and probably would contribute nothing more than a name.  That is why I have been pretty realistic with my expectations all season that the Lakers would make the playoffs as an 8th seed and get blown out, though they may not even do that.  They are old, they don't play as a team, and they have more or less zero offensive execution in close games, nor any sort of scheme other than hoping that Kobe does well in iso situations.  They don't play with a winning formula, they are trying to win now with a team that is not capable of winning now and the sooner they figure it out and get back on the right track, the sooner they can get back to being a championship contender.

#42 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,312 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Utah will lose 2 or 3 watch (fingers Westcoasted)

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#43 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,251 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 10:15 AM

I agree with Fido. It's either championship or bust. We are not the [expletive]ing clippers.

Yea but do you want us to sit here crying and complaining until next season? My main point is, enjoy the season while it lasts because Kobe doesn't have much time left. And also you don't stop supporting your team just because they are having a rough season.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, April 09, 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#44 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,039 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Some just can't take criticism, and/or they don't like to read it about the Lakers.

I rarely brag about anything I say...but for this conversation, I'll point out that, over the last two preseasons, I have been pretty damn accurate about the make-up of our roster.  

What was the reaction to my posts?  At the time, they were "too early" because the Lakers either had two preseason games under their belt (last year's 66-game season) or we came into the season with a new roster (this time around).

Thing is, I watch multiple games every night.  I don't miss Lakers OR Thunder games, but I do catch quarters of almost every other team that plays (because I have the luxury of working from home).  I see how teams perform with players that we end up landing.  

So when Dwight comes here, I understand, right off the bat, how this roster has to be constructed.  When we reeled in Nash, I knew how we would have to play, and how he would have to adjust, given the inabilities we were going to have.  

Say what you want, call them preliminary assumptions, call them good guesses, I don't care...the point is, while teams DO improve over time, there are too many factors that limit that improvement.  Factors like bad coaching put a cap on teams trying to reach contention.  Old age and injuries create scenarios that teams have to follow in order to go far into the postseason (ex. us having to avoid the Nuggets, Clippers and Thunder).

Kobe's level of play has been consistent all season long, and he's playing great.  Dwight has improved since his return.  Other than that, though...Nash is having one of his worst seasons in recent memory, Jamison is inconsistent, Ron's defense is at an all-time low and he can't make a shot to save his life, Gasol can't play with Howard on the court (partially because of D'Antoni), and our coach is a one-dimensional run-and-gun promoter who doesn't install a defensive system and ended up throwing his hands in the air when we failed to run with Nash as a true point guard.

This season was doomed from the start.  The Princeton offense, and Mike Brown, would have been a better option than what we have right now.  People thrashed the idea, but Adelman's Kings made the Princeton work...people (and even professional analysts) seemed to forget that.  Those Kings nearly beat the dynasty Lakers in the playoffs (thanks Horry), and while having multiple options on offense (3rd in the NBA, running the Princeton), they were also an underrated defensive team (6th in the league).

The differences between Adelman, Brown, and D'Antoni?  Adelman is a head coach.  Brown is a defensive-minded head coach who has no idea how to coach offense.  D'Antoni is best served as an assistant for a young team that runs with a pass-first PG.  Pretty specific, but clear as day, at this point.

On point. While it was clear that we probably weren't going anywhere with Mike Brown (my issue was never with the Princeton, more with him really), it's not like D'Antoni is going to help us get there either. The team needs a significant restructuring of the offense (or any offense really) and a defensive system that caters to the two best defenders on the team (Kobe and Dwight). 

#45 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:17 AM

I just realized we are playing 4 games at home. Winning 5 in a row isn't realistic for this team but considering the amount of home games, I'll give it a 1/3 chance.

#46 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,726 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 09, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yea but do you want us to sit here crying and complaining until next season? My main point is, enjoy the season while it lasts because Kobe doesn't have much time left. And also you don't stop supporting your team just because they are having a rough season.

Ill enjoy the games we win....but I will still be critical of the Lakers win or lose. I enjoy the wins but I don't enjoy this season.

And theres a difference between enjoying wins and then trying to use those wins to cover up the rest of our terrible season.

Edited by LakeShow805, April 09, 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#47 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Lakers did win 7 in a row.  Last year.  With Mike Brown as coach.  And Kobe out. 

#48 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,317 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:11 PM

I can't believe I am agreeing with everything that real deal post here. What is this world coming to?!  I think I found my new bff.  Shows you that through crises it does bring two people who tends to argue with each other together as one. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#49 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:16 PM

we wont win in Portland, they'll play like its a championship and beat us by 5+ Lillard gonna Lillz like crazy.

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#50 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,387 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Lakers did win 7 in a row. Last year. With Mike Brown as coach. And Kobe out.

Ha.

#51 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,307 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:41 PM

Ill enjoy the games we win....but I will still be critical of the Lakers win or lose. I enjoy the wins but I don't enjoy this season.

And theres a difference between enjoying wins and then trying to use those wins to cover up the rest of our terrible season.

This.  The roster is deeply flawed.  I did not see it when the season started but certainly do now.  An occasional win over a quality opponent does not change that, nor does an 8th PO seed.  This is not Lakers basketball.

Debbie Downer

#52 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 737 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:55 PM

This is  LOLkers basketball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users