51 replies to this topic

#21 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:38 PM

We will go either 4-1 or 5-0. We WILL get into the playoffs. Tomorrow we will be back in eighth place and we will put more pressure on Utah, I think Utah will crumble under the pressure.

Well, that's not exactly what happened last night.  They were on the road, tough place to play, big men played a great game and Mo Williams hit the key shot late in the game.  Hardly looks like a team backing into the playoffs.

Debbie Downer

#22 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,285 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yeah I don't know why people think Utah is some easily crumbling team, they're better than the Lakers.

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,031 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:51 PM

utah has a worse point differential than the Lakers, they aren't better.

You just are negative and i guess instead of being entertained by the Lakers, you just WANT the Lakers to win.

There is a huge difference.

It's like the guy who wants kobe to play a certain way instead of just marveling at the level at which he plays basketball.

i can't stand this attitude about how "bad" the Lakers are even though we were once 17-25 and despite MORE injuries, we have risen to this point

#24 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:51 PM

You are what your record says you are

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#25 fido

fido

• 11,285 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 10:12 PM

BaketballIQ:  The Lakers are terrible.  The sooner you admit it and face the problem the easier it is to deal with this mess.  I am entertained by winning, unlike (what seems to be) a majority of younger fans nowadays.  The Lakers aren't entertaining just existing, but apparently to a wide bunch of fans they are.

Different generations I guess.  And some younger fans wonder why older fans can't stand :as long as we have fun" attitude.  Playing is about winning when you're a professional or a fan of professional sports paying good money to go to games, buy merchandise, watch them on TV, etc.

Just like Majesty, if you're pleased with just being here, then have fun.  Me, I like the Lakers because of the win or die tradition and because USUALLY they field teams that have the same attitude.  I miss when all Laker fans (and players) cared about winning first and everything else (including individual stats, highlight plays and showmanship) second.  But I guess those days are gone now.  Wish some of you could've been around when things were the way they were supposed to be.

#26 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted April 08, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Fido wtf is your problem dude? A true fan stands by his team through thick and thin, stop [expletive]ing and enjoy every second that Kobe is on the floor. When he is gone you'll see what a true fan has to go through. This is nothing. Be grateful we have a chance to make the playoffs the way this season has went. There are 13 other teams (and their fans) that would kill to be in our position right now. If you don't enjoy watching Kobe and watching our team, and if all you care is about winning, you shouldn't be a fan. If you have no faith in our team and you just care about winning like you're some super competitive fan then why are you watching our team right now, you said it yourself "the lakers aren't entertaining"

all of us are spectators and nothing more. If you don't like it, if you don't like the team, don't watch and dont call yourself a fan. If all you care about is winning then go watch the heat or some other super contender, I'm sure you'd be back once we're winning again.

All I'm saying is if you don't enjoy watching, don't watch.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, April 08, 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,343 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 08, 2013 - 10:51 PM

To me being the film buff and watching as much Lakers film as I have.

There will never be a worse moment nor a worse ending to the season than when the Jerry West, Wilt team, lost game seven to the Celtics because the coach refused to put Wilt back in.$
NOTHING will compare to that. Not even this season, and I wasn't even alive then and I know nothing will compare.

Disappointing seasons happen, it is the way of all franchises, even star-studded ones.

If I hold that in my mind as the lowest Lakers moment, then this season doesn't bother me to that extent.

I hold THAT standard to my "most disappointed" list.

When you do that, this season suddenly doesn't seem so bad.

So no matter the outcome, I can deal with whatever season the Lakers give me.

If the Lakers made the finals were in game seven against Miami and D'antoni sat Dwight in the final quarter and we lost by single digits...

That would be a different story. But 8th seed? Nah.

Winning is fun :) but I can cope with "existing" for a few seasons, in my lifetime I've been through 7 championships. And the waiting periods between them. I can deal with more and not act like it's the end of the world :)

Edited by Majesty, April 08, 2013 - 10:53 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#28 fido

fido

• 11,285 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 11:13 PM

I love how I am absolutely not allowed to call out the team for not living up to its winning tradition.  All the blame goes to those of us who like when the Lakers win.  Did I ever say all I want to watch is winning basketball?  Nope,  I said I like to watch the Lakers win, I don't like to just be happy they are close to the playoffs.

Again, a lot of you guys don't seem to don't understand what I'm getting at.  All you do is lash out to those of who don't sit around rocking back and forth telling themselves everything is fine and dandy - and ain't everything great just because the Lakers might almost make the playoffs. 

My problem is I am a Laker fan because of the pride of the franchise, the pride they show(ed) on the court through hard play and winning.  My problem is that so many younger fans only look for highlights, young players or singular plays to jump up and scream about while ignoring the bigger picture.  The bigger picture in Lakerland is winning, not just being slightly ahead of the pack of mediocrity that most of the NBA has become.

You can try to twist this into some kind of "true fan" b.s. argument if you like.  In my book a true fan gets upset when their team is playing below their expectations.  They get upset when the team they've invested so much time, money and heart into seems to be circling the drain with what seems to be minimal concern.  Way too many fans are now lowering themselves to this level if "at least the Lakers are almost there", rather than being upset that the winning tradition that attracted 100% of us to this great franchise is fading away.

Not watch?  No problem, there have been plenty of games I haven';t w3atched this year because this team (and this godforsaken "coach") have destroyed a lot passion I had.  If you think that doesn't bum me out, then you're absolutely wrong.  Besides, I never went anywhere did I?  Nope, you know why?  Because in the tiniest part of me I thought maybe this team would give the effort it takes to be the Lakers that we are proud of.  This attitude of "other teams would kill to be where we're at" is such a new generation of fan, astounding thing, I can't get my head around it.  I am a Laker fan because they have a tradition of being a cut above the rest, not because they're just in a professional basketball league in a city near me.

I've invested more love, time and money into this team than you could imagine.  In return I expect 100% effort all the time.  I expect a Laker team that isn't satisfied with being barely better than the rest of the league.  I expect a Laker team that never leaves anything on the court, an organization that will do anything, hire anybody it takes to maintain the tradition of winning Jerry Buss has gotten us used to.

If you want to give everything you got and are content with a team that gives you a 50% return then we will never see eye to eye.

See, I love winning, I love a winning Lakers team, I love a team that never leaves any effort left untapped.  Sorry if ti bothers you, this high expectation, but like I said blame Jerry Buss, Magic Johnsoon, blame Kareem, Kobe, Worthy, West and any other Laker legend that gave 100% all the time.  They built this team on their shoulders, and I can guarantee you that every last Laker legend isn';t happy about the Lakers only "having a chance at the playoffs".  These players get paid handsomely to do one thing - win and give their all.  The coaches are in the same boat.  I've seen one player on this team give everything he's got all year - Kobe - that's it.  The coaching, the organization, the rest of the roster seems scared to succeed - I don't stand for that.  i speak out against that and have no problem spouting off about what needs to be fixed to restore this franchise.

When a player puts on this uniform and gets paid ungodly sums to play a game, when you get paid millions to coach the most vaunted franchise in basketball history I expect the best from you, because I'm giving you the best as a fan (not to mention more cash than I care to mention).

If you think for one second I'm EVER going to not be pissed off about the Lakers not always giving 100%, about the Lakers not winning like they should be - then again - we will never see to eye to eye.

And quite frankly if this is the way the new generation of Laker fans are thinking now, things are even worse than I thought.

#29 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 11:44 PM

I've watched every minute of every game tho season. I don't look for the highlight plays, I as well as you, look for winning in this team. I've had season tickets to this team since the days of kwame brown (05-06 season). So don't think that you're someone special for spending money and time in this team. I'll be at the game on Friday, where as you will probably not even watch the game (from the things you've said, it's leads me to believe so). So who do you think has more loyalty for their team? You are supposed to support your team whether they are a good team or not.

Don't condescend people because you were born before they were and dont think you're some super fan because you've spent money supporting the team, you're nothing special. You're just a fan like me, don't act like you support the team more than me, because you don't.

#30 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,343 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 09, 2013 - 12:25 AM

Fido, I have no problem with your passion as a fan.

My only issue has only ever been this.

A lot of your feelings and negative direction and attitude stems a lot from assumption of what you "think" the organization feels.

That is you, not the Lakers.

You THINK and assume the organization doesn't care about the fans. So in turn you feel slighted as a fan.

In your mind it's "I spent and invested so much time in this organization! I deserve 200% back and anything less I'm not happy about!"

Again you assume.

Do you think Mitch is sitting there happy that we're fighting for the 8th seed? Was Jerry happy is Jim happy?

The problem fido is you seem to assume that people are "just happy to be the 8th seed" and thus don't have the passion for the team you do.

The problem is you never complete the sentence.

People are happy we're the 8th seed when the alternative was missing the playoffs.

This year has not lived up to the expectations to the beginning of the year. But considering where this team was in January and where we are now in the playoff picture, THAT is what people are happy about.

They aren't happy "just being the 8th seed" they are happy to make the playoffs period after considering all that's happened this year.

They may want this team to be a top 4 seed just like you do. But in the western conference, no team that's dealt with everything we've dealt with along with oss of personnel and changews and injury enters the playoffs the top 4 seed.

You also seem to think this Lakers team shows no effort that you feel they should, you assume they don't care like you do.

If that was the case fido, the team would have tanked in January and we wouldn't be sitting here talking about the playoffs.

It didn't happen "your" way. But it happened.

A lot of your hatred seems to stem through assumption that this organization is "ok" where they are at. Which you actually have no idea whether or not.

You assume it.

And your biggest assumption comes from the coaching choice, and the effort of some players on the court some nights.

So not picking Phil proves the organization is alright with mediocrity..

What did trading Gasol and Odomn for Chris Paul, and the next off-season getting both Steve Nash and Dwight Howard prove then?

I'm sure when Mitch did that he wasn't saying "this will be a great 8th seed team"

Don't assume you're more upset as a fan than the people that run the organizations and have to make the decisions every day you are on the forum to talk about and ther players that play the game you're passionate about.

And my only issue is that I've seen you talk down to fans for not understanding the business side of things and acting like it's easy(which I agree with you about 100 percent)

But then in the same breath at times act as if it's just as black and white as the organization "proving" to you that they aren't happy being an 8th seed. It ain't as easy as you make it sound, and you know that too.

And the assumption game can go both weays.

You can tell me all the reasons you think this organization doesn't care in the same way you do, and I can list all the reasons that they do and probably things that show they care MORE so than you.

No matter how much money you've spent over the years on this team, Mitch has spent 100+ million. Do you actually think they don't care? Its your entertainment its THEIR livelihood.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Stay passionate :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#31 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 12:35 AM

Fido, I have no problem with your passion as a fan.

My only issue has only ever been this.

A lot of your feelings and negative direction and attitude stems a lot from assumption of what you "think" the organization feels.

That is you, not the Lakers.

You THINK and assume the organization doesn't care about the fans. So in turn you feel slighted as a fan.

In your mind it's "I spent and invested so much time in this organization! I deserve 200% back and anything less I'm not happy about!"

Again you assume.

Do you think Mitch is sitting there happy that we're fighting for the 8th seed? Was Jerry happy is Jim happy?

The problem fido is you seem to assume that people are "just happy to be the 8th seed" and thus don't have the passion for the team you do.

The problem is you never complete the sentence.

People are happy we're the 8th seed when the alternative was missing the playoffs.

This year has not lived up to the expectations to the beginning of the year. But considering where this team was in January and where we are now in the playoff picture, THAT is what people are happy about.

They aren't happy "just being the 8th seed" they are happy to make the playoffs period after considering all that's happened this year.

They may want this team to be a top 4 seed just like you do. But in the western conference, no team that's dealt with everything we've dealt with along with oss of personnel and changews and injury enters the playoffs the top 4 seed.

You also seem to think this Lakers team shows no effort that you feel they should, you assume they don't care like you do.

If that was the case fido, the team would have tanked in January and we wouldn't be sitting here talking about the playoffs.

It didn't happen "your" way. But it happened.

A lot of your hatred seems to stem through assumption that this organization is "ok" where they are at. Which you actually have no idea whether or not.

You assume it.

And your biggest assumption comes from the coaching choice, and the effort of some players on the court some nights.

So not picking Phil proves the organization is alright with mediocrity..

What did trading Gasol and Odomn for Chris Paul, and the next off-season getting both Steve Nash and Dwight Howard prove then?

I'm sure when Mitch did that he wasn't saying "this will be a great 8th seed team"

Don't assume you're more upset as a fan than the people that run the organizations and have to make the decisions every day you are on the forum to talk about and ther players that play the game you're passionate about.

And my only issue is that I've seen you talk down to fans for not understanding the business side of things and acting like it's easy(which I agree with you about 100 percent)

But then in the same breath at times act as if it's just as black and white as the organization "proving" to you that they aren't happy being an 8th seed. It ain't as easy as you make it sound, and you know that too.

And the assumption game can go both weays.

You can tell me all the reasons you think this organization doesn't care in the same way you do, and I can list all the reasons that they do and probably things that show they care MORE so than you.

No matter how much money you've spent over the years on this team, Mitch has spent 100+ million. Do you actually think they don't care? Its your entertainment its THEIR livelihood.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Stay passionate :)

Although your post was 3 paragraphs too big for what you needed to say, I feel the same way when I read fidos posts (lately). Good post, agreed with a lot of what you said.

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,031 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:32 AM

We won two titles.

Many people complained aboutFarmar and Sasha. They were replaced with Barnes andBlake with Brown getting a more prominent role.

What happened on our way to the fourth consecutive trip to the Finals?

kobe's foot was messed up, Pau's mind was messed up, and Dallas was on a mission.

Lakers could have said" fatigue was the reason we lost in the second round, but tried to get Chris Paul, because Kobe is no longer in his absolute prime, though he maintains his status as elite.

So last year, they get rid of Lamar who hasn't been the same and they make another second round run...boo hoo, sorry for us lakers fans...

Did they sit on their asses? No. Got rid of Bynum and got Dwight, who unfortunately was at about 70% of what he normally is, to start the season. Bynum was and is at 0%.

Sessions left, talking about he feared being traded for a "big-name"...He feared being traded and ended up in Charlotte? The worse possible destination, where he isn't tarting.

That was a heartless player and he is gone.

As I have stated, if we were heartless, there would be no recovery from 17-25.

Guess what, since then, Nash and Metta have gone out. Earl Clark was banged up for a little while and Kobe had the bad ankle.

INJURIES have done a lot to give us this record, and as far as terrible, i can't see that.

I'm sure you thought the KNICKS were terrible last season when they couldn't keep any of their stars healthy.

it's amazing how continuity helps a team build and grow.

#33 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,031 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:40 AM

In the 90s the Lakers were a joke. You can talk about effort and whatever, all i know is the rest of the league had Hall of Famers and we had cedric Ceballos and Nick  Van Exel and Eddie George.

that was Jerry Buss, sitting on his tail, satisfied because he had an exciting team. A showtime-lite without the winning.

and what happened when Kobe was left out to dry for those few years. Something Magic, Jerry's adopted son, never had to endure, short of his last season, and even then, he had Worthy and Scott

Who isn't giving effort?

dwight, who has a torn labrum?

these aren't SLAVEs, they are guys who put their bodies through pain that most people can't relate to.

I am offended by your implication.

It's funny because the nineties is when players were more into drugs, drinking, partying, and overall just allowing MJ to be the GOD of the game, and feeling like they couldn't hold themselves to that esteem.

Whereas Durant and LeBron and Rose and Kyrie and CP3, and I could go on, all work HARD and ALL want to be great. Dedicate themselves to the game and respect it.

You just miss Magic Johnson and that special era. 5 rings is 5 rings.

#34 ALL CAPS

ALL CAPS

Rookie

• 129 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:42 AM

none of the jazz teams that they're playing will rest their starters. both memphis and the thunder are still fighting for home court

#35 ALL CAPS

ALL CAPS

Rookie

• 129 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted April 09, 2013 - 01:46 AM

and it doesnt matter if we win 5 in a row. what matters is how we win those games. there are alot of aspects of our game that needs some cleaning up if we want to make some noise in the playoffs. closing out on the shooter, gasol and dwight hedging better, turnovers, and poor free throw shooting is whats killing us. until we fix these things, it shouldnt matter if we make the playoffs

#36 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 02:04 AM

We will be back in as the 8th seed tomorrow, then we all can exhale.

#37 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 09, 2013 - 03:51 AM

In the 90s the Lakers were a joke. You can talk about effort and whatever, all i know is the rest of the league had Hall of Famers and we had cedric Ceballos and Nick  Van Exel and Eddie George.

that was Jerry Buss, sitting on his tail, satisfied because he had an exciting team. A showtime-lite without the winning.

and what happened when Kobe was left out to dry for those few years. Something Magic, Jerry's adopted son, never had to endure, short of his last season, and even then, he had Worthy and Scott

Who isn't giving effort?

dwight, who has a torn labrum?

these aren't SLAVEs, they are guys who put their bodies through pain that most people can't relate to.

I am offended by your implication.

It's funny because the nineties is when players were more into drugs, drinking, partying, and overall just allowing MJ to be the GOD of the game, and feeling like they couldn't hold themselves to that esteem.

Whereas Durant and LeBron and Rose and Kyrie and CP3, and I could go on, all work HARD and ALL want to be great. Dedicate themselves to the game and respect it.

You just miss Magic Johnson and that special era. 5 rings is 5 rings.

Who is Eddie George?

Debbie Downer

#38 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 09, 2013 - 05:36 AM

We will be back in as the 8th seed tomorrow, then we all can exhale.

Lulz

Pau Gasol is GONE

#39 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,872 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 09, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Some just can't take criticism, and/or they don't like to read it about the Lakers.

I rarely brag about anything I say...but for this conversation, I'll point out that, over the last two preseasons, I have been pretty damn accurate about the make-up of our roster.  

What was the reaction to my posts?  At the time, they were "too early" because the Lakers either had two preseason games under their belt (last year's 66-game season) or we came into the season with a new roster (this time around).

Thing is, I watch multiple games every night.  I don't miss Lakers OR Thunder games, but I do catch quarters of almost every other team that plays (because I have the luxury of working from home).  I see how teams perform with players that we end up landing.  

So when Dwight comes here, I understand, right off the bat, how this roster has to be constructed.  When we reeled in Nash, I knew how we would have to play, and how he would have to adjust, given the inabilities we were going to have.  

Say what you want, call them preliminary assumptions, call them good guesses, I don't care...the point is, while teams DO improve over time, there are too many factors that limit that improvement.  Factors like bad coaching put a cap on teams trying to reach contention.  Old age and injuries create scenarios that teams have to follow in order to go far into the postseason (ex. us having to avoid the Nuggets, Clippers and Thunder).

Kobe's level of play has been consistent all season long, and he's playing great.  Dwight has improved since his return.  Other than that, though...Nash is having one of his worst seasons in recent memory, Jamison is inconsistent, Ron's defense is at an all-time low and he can't make a shot to save his life, Gasol can't play with Howard on the court (partially because of D'Antoni), and our coach is a one-dimensional run-and-gun promoter who doesn't install a defensive system and ended up throwing his hands in the air when we failed to run with Nash as a true point guard.

This season was doomed from the start.  The Princeton offense, and Mike Brown, would have been a better option than what we have right now.  People thrashed the idea, but Adelman's Kings made the Princeton work...people (and even professional analysts) seemed to forget that.  Those Kings nearly beat the dynasty Lakers in the playoffs (thanks Horry), and while having multiple options on offense (3rd in the NBA, running the Princeton), they were also an underrated defensive team (6th in the league).

The differences between Adelman, Brown, and D'Antoni?  Adelman is a head coach.  Brown is a defensive-minded head coach who has no idea how to coach offense.  D'Antoni is best served as an assistant for a young team that runs with a pass-first PG.  Pretty specific, but clear as day, at this point.

Fans can get mad reading it, but it's been true since the preseason.

#40 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,534 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:30 AM

I agree with Fido. It's either championship or bust. We are not the [expletive]ing clippers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users