#61 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Let's see if Kobe agrees to have a paycut like Duncan did years ago. If he really wants that 6th ring he better do. Imagine a world that Kobe says yes to veterans min. I eill try that on 2k14 haha

#62 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 920 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Let's see if Kobe agrees to have a paycut like Duncan did years ago. If he really wants that 6th ring he better do. Imagine a world that Kobe says yes to veterans min. I eill try that on 2k14 haha

I'd love to see that. it would show his commitment. but this is assuming he even wants to stay.

#63 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 299 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 09, 2013 - 09:05 AM

He cannot take a pay cut as long as he is on contract.  When he renews after next year, he may take a pay cut.  I wouldn't bet on that happening.  Helocopters are expensive to operate.

At $50m+ per year, the question I raise is, "What could you buy for $50m?  Look at what Denver and Golden State have done with a bunch of nobodys.  You could buy 4 players for that $50m, and if each put up 10 points, that would easily replace Kobe's 30ppg. 

With the aggressive salary cap, the NBA has turned this more into a business than trying to get the best players.  With that cap, 1-2 superstars is all a team can handle, and Kobe's salary is equivalent to 2 such stars

That said, the Lakers have a $150m TV contract, something other teams do not have, so they can afford to pay players, but the salary cap penalties can be quite onerous.   

Edited by Scooter123, April 09, 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#64 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,199 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I think only one person mentioned amnesty and they simply said it was a possibility.

Slow your roll.

Lol
Posted Image

#65 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 910 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Not looking good, portland on a back to back with spurs and warriors and rockets coming up? All those teams would love to take us out. 16% chance we make the playoffs.

#66 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,800 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 09, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Players I'd keep no matter what...

Dwight

Clark

Hill

Meeks

You keep Nash because of loyalty and you won't get a lot for him.

You HAVE to get rid of Duhon/MWP/Ebanks/PAU...Blake is moved in a Pau trade if necessary...

If you can't negotiate a reasonable salary for Kobe, consider moving him too.  You do NOT pay more than 15mil/year (at most) for a player over 34 years old...in truth, as a player, he's not worth more than $12-14M per year...

Only way MDA is fired is if Dwight doesn't want him here....

Edited by GCMD, April 09, 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#67 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 03:45 PM

Dwight

Clark

Hill

Meeks

You HAVE to get rid of Duhon/MWP/Ebanks/PAU...Blake is moved in a Pau trade if necessary...

If you can't negotiate a reasonable salary for Kobe, consider moving him too.  You do NOT pay more than 15mil/year (at most) for a player over 34 years old...in truth, as a player, he's not worth more than $12-14M per year...

1. Why do you like Meeks? He has been a one-dimensional player.

2. You really think Kobe is worth 12-14 million right now?

#68 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 04:14 PM

Kobe is still worth about 20 million and thats what he will get if he stays playing. He shouldnt expect a dime over 20 million though its just too much to ask in this current game with the currently salary cap rules.

and Yes I dont think we will be making the playoffs. Our schedule simply says NO to us while Utah has an easier path. 

Laker fan for life.

#69 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,519 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 09, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Dwight

Clark

Hill

Meeks

lol.....:facepalm:

#70 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 09, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Dwight

Clark

Hill

Meeks

I say Kobe gets to decide whether he stays or goes after next year. He has earned that right.  And whatever he gets paid he will more than make up for in revenue.  But Kobe is NOT the issue.

Everyone is on the block except for Kobe, Clark and Hill in my view.  I understand that Dwight will be offered a max deal.  I pray that it works out, because he has not shown me enough to make me confident that the Lakers wont regret that contract at some point.  I get that he is the "future" of the franchise, but that is the future with a center with a limited offensive game, still recovering from back surgery, an old roster with limited tradeable assets and no draft picks for awhile.

Debbie Downer

#71 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted April 09, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Is Kobe for LeBron available? LOL

Posted Image

#72 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted April 09, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Dwight
Clark
Hill
Meeks

If you can't negotiate a reasonable salary for Kobe, consider moving him too. You do NOT pay more than 15mil/year (at most) for a player over 34 years old...in truth, as a player, he's not worth more than $12-14M per year...

Very head scratching post.

You speak of loyalty to Steve Nash (lol) but you would get rid of the greatest laker of all time in Kobe Bryant.

And who are Clark, Hill, and Meeks (lol) that you'd keep them "no matter what"? Hill and Clark are solid contributers but they're not untouchable.

Call me old-fashioned but I think if you are doing bad on your job, you should be fired. Tie that in to our failure of a head coach and you can see where I'm going.

You really do want us to be Phoenix, don't you?

Edited by Windu, April 09, 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#73 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,800 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Very head scratching post.

You speak of loyalty to Steve Nash (lol) but you would get rid of the greatest laker of all time in Kobe Bryant.

And who are Clark, Hill, and Meeks (lol) that you'd keep them "no matter what"? Hill and Clark are solid contributers but they're not untouchable.

Call me old-fashioned but I think if you are doing bad on your job, you should be fired. Tie that in to our failure of a head coach and you can see where I'm going.

You really do want us to be Phoenix, don't you?

Nash is making about $3-4M per year than he could have gotten on the open market and he's actually worth more than the $8-9M he gets.  He CHOSE to take less than he's worth to play for LA Lakers.

Kobe's severely overpaid.  That does NOT mean he's not one of the best players in the NBA.  It means his salary makes fielding talent in the open market or even in trades EXTREMELY hard.  Kobe will take up over half of the cap BY HIM SELF!  

If you're honest with yourself, that's too much for ANY player in the league right now.  It's not like he only made $7-10M/yr over his career...he's been a MAX CONTRACT player for more than a DECADE!

The new CBA makes it impossible for the LAKERS to be in contention while paying a player over 34 close to his age.  That's if we are talking about WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Nothing head scratching about it.

And you forget, Kobe has a no-trade clause.  Any movement (trade) of Kobe would be by his consent or amnesty (which won't happen).  

I'm not for trading Kobe...just getting his salary down to a point we don't waste the rest of Kobe's years fighting for the playoffs instead chasing rings...

Edited by GCMD, April 09, 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#74 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,219 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Kobe has a no trade and one more year on his contract, he isn't allowed to, nor would he negotiate lower pay during his contract.  After it expires next year, I expect the Lakers to make a reasonable offer to him for a 35 year old player, and if he wants to get max money somewhere and its offered to him, then good for him.  

#75 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,519 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Nash is making about $3-4M per year than he could have gotten on the open market and he's actually worth more than the $8-9M he gets.  He CHOSE to take less than he's worth to play for LA Lakers.

Kobe's severely overpaid.  That does NOT mean he's not one of the best players in the NBA.  It means his salary makes fielding talent in the open market or even in trades EXTREMELY hard.  Kobe will take up over half of the cap BY HIM SELF!  

If you're honest with yourself, that's too much for ANY player in the league right now.  It's not like he only made $7-10M/yr over his career...he's been a MAX CONTRACT player for more than a DECADE!

The new CBA makes it impossible for the LAKERS to be in contention while paying a player over 34 close to his age.  That's if we are talking about WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Nothing head scratching about it.

And you forget, Kobe has a no-trade clause.  Any movement (trade) of Kobe would be by his consent or amnesty (which won't happen).  

I'm not for trading Kobe...just getting his salary down to a point we don't waste the rest of Kobe's years fighting for the playoffs instead chasing rings...

So pretty sure much what you are trying to say is Nash is worth as much as Kobe..........lol

#76 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Nash coming here was about winning but more importantly about being closer to his kids. I don't understand how any of what you said has to do with being loyal to him. Loyal to him why? How are we not being loyal to him?

Kobe is overpaid...sure. But so is Mike D'Antoni, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest. His annual salary is a reflection of his overall impact to this franchise during the course of his career...particularly his peak years.

The new CBA isn't making it impossible for LA to be in contention. If you want the culprit(s) responsible for that, then look no further than the front office. Retaining Pau Gasol, hiring Mike Brown, hiring Mike D'Antoni...3 blunders that have hamstrung this franchise. Remember when our draft picks were meaningless? Lol

Pau Gasol is GONE

#77 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,972 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Any discussion of reducing Kobe's salary is for 2014 and beyond.

But, these conversations will take place this summer.

If Kobe announces his retirement, it means management wants to chop down his salary, but Kobe is not convinced that they have an effective plan to rebuild.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#78 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,554 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I think the future of this franchise hinges on whether Dwight decides to stick around or not. If Dwight decides to go, i think it is possible that the Lakers would have a fire-sale. I wouldn't blame them. As much as Kobe likes LA, i dont think he is interested in another season missing the playoffs.

I do think Dwight will stay regardless of what happens. Houston is a good option, but i think they would have to cut a few guys for him to get a max and they already have a good 5, and perhaps would be better off if they signed Millsap or Josh Smith, and not getting too much into the luxury tax. Lakers can give him the max and they have options this offseason with this team and they could add a superstar next summer.

#79 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,301 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 09, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Kobe scored 19 points in the 4th quarter tonight.

Worth every penny :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#80 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted April 09, 2013 - 09:56 PM

I wanna see All of you , you saying that he is overpaid or even has to be amnestied, when he announces his retirement. Just stop saying he does not deserve his max. If he wants he gets another max deal, thats how worthy he is to our franchise, to the city of Angels. Iwanna see all of you in tears when he retires and regret what you said about him. I am gonna link him to this thread on twitter and hope he has an answer for you. Oh wait, he just handed you one didn't he? Even with his stupid shots, he made big buckets and most importantly showed heart, competiteveness. Isn't it enough to show you his value? Well wait for a tweet like this: Value THAT.

Edited by nikolatesla, April 09, 2013 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users