Photo

Kobe Killing Himself, D'Antoni Not Helping

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

• 40,604 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:29 PM

http://espn.go.com/l...our-money-worth

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni knows the risk of playing Kobe Bryant as many minutes as he has during the past four games. He also knows the risks of not using the Lakers' best player as much as possible as the team frantically tries to make the playoffs.

"We're playing a little bit with fire," D'Antoni said of Bryant, who has played 46 minutes a game the past four games. "We wouldn't like to but we put ourselves in the position we have to.

"We're short-handed right now and we're playing it very tight. Normally this wouldn't happen but we put ourselves in a hole and Kobe is our best bet going forward to win games. He said he's going to retire after a year so we're going to get our money's worth for two years. I don't know what to tell you."

Bryant played all but 40 seconds of the Lakers' 109-95 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday.

zg9.png

"If he says he feels great and his legs aren't bothering him then I have to take his word for it," D'Antoni said. "If he says 'I'm tired but I want to play through it,' then that's different. But he says he feels great."

Bryant admitted he was tired after Friday's win against the Memphis Grizzlies. He even asked out of the game in the second half.

Sunday though, he said he felt good.

"I feel fine. I get plenty of rest, so I feel fine," Bryant said. "After the last game, I was pretty tired. But I was able to get plenty of rest from the last game until now."

Bryant said he slept most of Saturday. His only activity was playing "Just Dance 4" with his two daughters.

He's been playing such heavy minutes for several reasons. He's got a painful bone bruise in his right foot that tends to stiffen up when he comes out of the game.

20121120_083549_do21_mike_dantoni_lakers

Then there's the matter of the Lakers' desperate playoff push. They came into Sunday's game having won three in a row, but still only leading Utah by half a game for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Bryant had previously guaranteed the Lakers would make the playoffs.

"I don't see it as that big of a deal," he said. "We have some tough games ahead. But we go out there and do what we do."

"The bottom line, we need to win five straight," D'Antoni said. "We've got ourselves to where we need to win five in a row and we get in the playoffs and that's what we want to do."

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

http://www.latimes.c...0,5489018.story

Kobe Bryant giving his all, and Mike D'Antoni isn't stopping him

With the Lakers pushing to make the playoffs, the guard is logging serious time on the court, despite his injuries. But will fatigue catch up with him?

Good thing NBA games are only 48 minutes long. Kobe Bryant would try to play 49.

He's 34 years old, ignoring bone spurs in his left foot and recently coming off a severe ankle sprain, but he keeps throwing himself toward the maximum limit per NBA game.

He didn't rest Sunday until 39.8 seconds remained in the Lakers' 109-95 loss to the Clippers.

This all started March 30, when he sat out only 23 seconds against Sacramento. He followed it up with 56 seconds of rest against Dallas. Then a veritable vacation with 43 minutes of playing time against Memphis before pushing back up Sunday toward almost the full 48.

Why is he doing this?

"Playoffs, probably," Bryant said.

la_sp_lakers_fyi_20130408_001.jpg

Even if the Lakers got there — a serious question after they were exposed again by a better Western Conference team — what would Bryant have left to give?

Despite his claims to the contrary, he looked fatigued Sunday, making only six of 19 shots. He had 25 points, 10 assists and four turnovers.

"That's the risk that we're running with Kobe," Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "His legs, we're playing a little bit with fire and we wouldn't like to. But we're putting ourselves in a position where we have to.

"Obviously, if that doesn't work, then I should have done something else. Right now, I don't know. I sit him down and we lose; that's not going to work either.

"Kobe's our best bet going forward to win games, and he says he's going to retire after a year, so we'll get our money's worth for two years."

Bryant hasn't officially said he's done after next season, his last year under contract with the Lakers. But he is demanding as many minutes as possible. D'Antoni isn't stopping him.

"I keep asking him, and he wants to do it," D'Antoni said. "If he says he feels great and his legs aren't bothering him, then I've got to take his word for it. If he says, 'I'm tired, but I want to play through,' then that's different."

The Lakers looked especially short-handed against a deep Clippers team. Steve Nash sat out because of hip and hamstring soreness, possibly returning Tuesday against New Orleans. Metta World Peace will return earlier than expected but remains sidelined after having cartilage removed from his knee.

D'Antoni, though, stubbornly stuck to a seven-man rotation.

"We're playing guys on fumes a little bit right now, but we're going to get some guys back here pretty soon, so we'll have a longer rotation in the playoffs," D'Antoni said. "I think we're going to be dangerous."

Bryant will presumably be dangerous if the Lakers make the playoffs. And if he isn't completely exhausted.

"We know how competitive he is and how much he wants to play," Pau Gasol said. "It's up to the coach to say, 'No, you're not going to play 47. You're going to play 38.' Or, 'Yes, I'm going to let you play whatever you want.'

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Edited by    , April 07, 2013 - 08:37 PM.

yo.

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,048 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:45 PM

He said he's going to retire after a year so we're going to get our money's worth for two years. I don't know what to tell you."

[expletive] you D'Antoni. [expletive] you. 

• 40,604 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Even Pau feels sorry for Kobe:

Pau Gasol lamenta la cantidad de minutos que lleva acumulados Kobe Bryant

http://es.eurosport....32010--nba.html

Translated: Pau Gasol laments the amount of minutes Kobe's accumulated

yo.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,120 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Because throwing Ebanks or Morris in for Kobe heightens our chances for success :)

It makes no sense to play Ebanks and Morris and lose games and miss the playoffs just to rest Kobe.

He understands this.

Without Nash or Metta there is NO viable alternative to take Kobe's minutes.

If we sit him, we're basically waving the white flag on the season. Tell me which Kobe wants more. He's the leader and he isn't gonna let that happen, it's up to everybody else to follow suit.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#5 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,351 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well done Jim Buss.

#6 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:53 PM

He said he's going to retire after a year so we're going to get our money's worth for two years. I don't know what to tell you.

#7 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted April 07, 2013 - 09:19 PM

[expletive] you MDA. He doesn't care about his players, and this proves it.

#8 ____

____

Superstar

• 7,145 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Ahh yes, the drama-filled season continues. I'm over all this crap.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 09:21 PM

And he said it in a joking tone right after he said that Kobe asks him to play 47-48 minutes a night cause of their short roster.

Anyway, like I said, its either Kobe or Morris/Ebanks..

It was gonna be Kobe, till Nash or Metta returns.

That's the reality of our roster.

#10 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Because throwing Ebanks or Morris in for Kobe heightens our chances for success :)

It makes no sense to play Ebanks and Morris and lose games and miss the playoffs just to rest Kobe.

He understands this.

If we sit him, we're basically waving the white flag on the season. Tell me which Kobe wants more. He's the leader and he isn't gonna let that happen, it's up to everybody else to follow suit.

#11 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:09 PM

The front office made a HUGE mistake in not picking up a swingman who can give you 10-15 mins...CDR anyone?

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:21 PM

They "thought" it'd be Ebanks and he wouldn't resign with us till we finished the Dwight Howard trade cause he was afraid we'd send him away.

That should have been red flag number one.

Ultimately he was lucky he had a 20 point night when CDR was getting minutes.

CDR was screwed over in his "chance" game.

Goudelock refused to pass him the ball and on the same night Ebanks scored 20.

Lakers went with him instead and financially didn't see it working to spend on CDR as Ebankls was already paid for.

The mistake was signing Ebanks before training camp started.

#13 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Yeah CDR is a great option i remember when he had a 40 something points in one game 4 months ago

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:24 PM

The athletic wing ultimately became Clark who has been a wonderful piece of the puzzle, but we can't even enjoy him to the fullest cause Hill is out.

I called Clark and Hill the bash brothers when I saw them play together and thought'd they'd be the 1-2 on the bench we needed

Sadly we only getting half of it.

Resign Clark in the off-season, let Jamison walk, bring in CDR to camp one more time along with Martell Webster.

Wing problem solved. Heck we may even trade Mneeks this off-season depending on what's out there.

#15 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:30 PM

1206-devin-ebanks-getty-2.jpg

#16 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:33 PM

1206-devin-ebanks-getty-2.jpg

I'm not even so sure he is on the team anymore. I'm starting to believe that he is just a die-hard Lakers fan that owns courtside tickets.

#17 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,698 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted April 08, 2013 - 12:15 AM

seriously kobes playing enthusiasm is great but give him rest

i mean at the end of the day he is still a human..

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#18 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:25 AM

I hate this team right now

Nothing has gone right

Nash was over priced
Howard is a dwightmare

#19 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:45 AM

He understands this.

it makes plenty sense just like other teams take out their superstars, stars, & role players & use their damn bench for spot mins & or major meaningful mins. Kobe going out there wasting all this energy & further injuring himself is terrible coaching. all you fans who think its only option dont know what your talking about!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#20 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 109 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted April 08, 2013 - 06:55 AM

They could play give Kobe a rest and feature their other all stars in the paint... there is ZERO imagination with this offense...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users