Photo

Dwight & Jamison Frustrated

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

• 40,385 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...frustrated-over

LOS ANGELES -- Dwight Howard had every reason to be upset after the Los Angeles Lakers 109-95 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday afternoon at Staples Center.

All he's supposed to do is play defense, right?

Lock up the middle of the key, protect the rim, cover up his teammates mistakes. Well, he did that Sunday. He has been doing that ever since he looked himself in the mirror over the All-Star break and realized he needed to start delivering at that end of the floor.

The offense, the smiling, the dunks are extras. Nice when the Lakers have the time or the latitude in the standings for him to have fun with such things. But right now, with the Lakers fighting to salvage what's left of this disappointing season, the only thing that matters is defense.

Howard did that Sunday. He protected the rim, he intimidated shots, he got back on defense instead of trying to crash the offensive boards.

It was his teammates who regressed on this day. The Lakers' transition defense was horrendous again. Their rotations were slow or ineffective. And the Clippers exploited every one of their failings again and again.

"He should get frustrated when other guys are not doing what they should be doing," Lakers forward Antawn Jamison told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "You can't have one guy defensively do his job and everybody else is not doing theirs. That's been our point of emphasis the last couple games. But we backtracked [Sunday] instead of continuing to concentrate on that.

"And it shouldn't be happening now, especially with where we're at."

Who is that on?

"All of us," Jamison said. "Everyone."

Howard has a different way of showing his anger than most people are used to. He doesn't believe in bashing his teammates publicly. Instead he'll either say very little, or say just enough to clue you in on where his head is.

Sunday afternoon he was about as terse and upset as he has been at any point this season.

His answers were one or two sentences. His expression was sullen.

"We just need to play the right way," he repeated at least five times. "We know what we have to do to win."

When a reporter asked if Howard was frustrated or upset or disappointed about the loss, he paused and said, "Can we ask some more questions?"

There was no explanation needed. He had every reason to be upset, disappointed or frustrated.

As Jamison put it: "We had a game plan, we knew exactly what we wanted to do. We just didn't execute it. We didn't get to our spots. I think they had 24 second-chance points. Transition. We wanted to get back and make it difficult for those guys. Those are the two aspects we really wanted to execute tonight and we weren't able to do that."

Because as admirable as Howard's defensive efforts have been lately, he also lets his frustration over his teammates failings affect other parts of his game. His offense suffers. His body language is bad.

His four rebounds Sunday were baffling.

Four rebounds? For a center as talented and athletic as Howard?

But a player leading the league in rebounding should almost never finish with just four rebounds in a game of this importance. And the Lakers, with Howard and Pau Gasol should almost never get out-rebounded so badly (50-36).

They're so talented they can still beat any team on any given night. But even when they start to get something right, other things go wrong.

They fix one thing, another goes wrong. They get an injured player back, another goes down.

It has been maddening at every turn.

Jamison came here to chase a ring in the twilight of his career. Accomplished as he is, he never has been past the second round of the playoffs.

This seemed like a sure thing. Sure enough, anyway, to pass on a much more lucrative offer from his hometown Charlotte Bobcats that would've allowed him to spend more time with his family.

This is not what he had in mind, however.

"It's just frustrating when you know the situation is at hand and you come out and don't play the way you need to play," he said.

"It's easy to speculate where we should be, but the reality is, we are where we are. Should we be in this situation with what we have? But it is what it is."

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Edited by    , April 07, 2013 - 07:32 PM.

yo.

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:36 PM

This article is pretty ignorant when I read this:

Pau Gasol should almost never get out-rebounded so badly (50-36).

As the article is talking about Howard needing teammates to step up, and Jamison is over there running his big-ass mouth, Gasol gets blamed for grabbing 13 boards, while Howard had just FOUR and Jamison ONE.

Kobe Bryant was the ONLY player that played this game the entire time he was on the court as if it was an elimination game.  He gave us 25/7/10, not so great shooting (but 14 free throws and a lot of missed foul calls), and never gave up, even when the game was basically done.

He's the only one that should be allowed to speak.  He's the only one that tried to score when we needed it, tried to play defense the entire game, and one of just three players (Gasol and Blake the other two) that crashed the board all night.

This team is disgusting, and not a team at all...and I feel bad for the man that has to look at his teammates, these quitters, these spectators, in that locker room.

#3 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,437 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:38 PM

They have every right to be upset but this was a team wide stink bomb, as it's been so often this year.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Actually, I'll give props to Gasol as well.  While his defense is awful, he was actually trying...and he did everything else well, nearly notching a triple-double.

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:51 PM

More and more I get the feeling that this summer Dwight is gonna say either D'Antoni goes or I do.

This "coach" has absolutely destroyed a legendary franchise.  Look how well New York did almost immediately after he left.  Coaching is 90% ego management and D'Antoni has zero idea how to do that.  As long as he stays this team will sink further and further.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,095 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Jamison no matter how pissed off he gets he won't instantly become a better defender.

Second chance points hurt us today like they have in every Clippers game this year.

I'm not gonna talk about Dwights 4 rebounds because he was at the rim changing shots. I won't talk about how Blake and Kobe and Pau outrebounded him.

All and all we allowed too many offensive rebounds after stopping them the first time.

Gonna have to bring the effort against the Hornets, they've been on the "verge" of upsetting us every game we've played them this year, so let's not let ot happen.

I Understand Jamison's anger but... If that's the case, show more effort on rebounds and don't be invisible on defense, simple as that.

You can't coach effort.

And as a player shouldn't run off your mouth about playing hard and playing defense if Blake outrebounds you and opposing teams lick their chops whenever you step on the court(Jamison)

Article is ignorant.

But at the same time Jamison whom says the blame should be all, all I have to say is... Some more than others.

Ya'll have gotten more rest than Kobe and he still played with more energy and urgency than half the team.

Kobe played hard, gAsol played hard, clark and blake played hard, dwight playee offensively hard and for blocks but sucked on boards.

Only Kobe should be speaking right now.

If I say the four biggest "efforts" throwing stat sheets out, came from Kobe, Blake, Gasol and Clark today.. It would be crazy.

These are the times you miss the physicality and effort of a Ron Artest.

Edited by Majesty, April 07, 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#7 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,437 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Pretty much every team MDA left got better after he left, Fido. I agree. And Dwight hates playing under him.

#8 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,156 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:57 PM

The reason we lost (and let me say, I don't have any facts to back this up, just the eye test) was because the clippers came out strong in the third and Kobe was setting guys up and they weren't hitting their shots. Clark and Blake went ice cold, idk why the [expletive] mda plays Meeks so much (and don't hit me with that energy crap). Our defense was absolutely abysmal and also, I'm tired of hearing some of y'all complain about the officiating, especially some of the more intelligent posters on the forum, (you know who you are) but I do think that hollins guy should get fined. The sad part is, the only reason I was mad about this loss, was that the clippers actually thought they were good after they beat a trash team.

Btw, if Utah doesn't lose on Tuesday we won't get in. Book it.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, April 07, 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#9 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:58 PM

The reason teams have good 3rd quarters is because they make adjustments at halftime.

D'Anonti's adjustment is hoping things keep going the same way to put the ball in Kobe's hands and count on some kind of miraculous second half or 4th quarter.  His failure to make any adjustments on either end constantly puts the team behind the 8-ball.

I despise fans whining about officiating losing games too.  Like I always say blaming the refs is the first resort of the second rate.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,095 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:59 PM

He plays Meeks so much because the only other guy he can put in for Kobe is Ebanks or Morris.

He can't switch Blake to the 2 because Nash is injured.

He can't put Metta in, cause Metta is out.

Our only 2s options aside from Kobe are Meeks, Ebanks, Morris. Blake is the starting 1 with Nash out so he isn't an option till Nash is back.

#11 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,156 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:02 PM

They need to play their hearts out these next 5 games and hope that Utah drops one. Make it as far as you can. Swap mda for pj and sign LO and tony Allen. Resign Dwight and Clark. Keep metta (as much as I hate to say it). And let Kobe go out with a bang.

#12 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:02 PM

This team is incapable of playing their hearts out.

#13 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,156 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:04 PM

He plays Meeks so much because the only other guy he can put in for Kobe is Ebanks or Morris.

He can't switch Blake to the 2 because Nash is injured.

He can't put Metta in, cause Metta is out.

Our only 2s options aside from Kobe are Meeks, Ebanks, Morris. Blake is the starting 1 with Nash out so he isn't an option till Nash is back.

So how come he can't play Clark at the 3? Clark played less than Meeks tonight? And I already know what you're gonna say "Clark should only play the 4 so he can space the floor" don't give me that crap, you put your best 5 guys out there.

#14 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,156 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:05 PM

This team is incapable of playing their hearts out.

Lol you're right, their only good at ripping the hearts out if their fans.

#15 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:05 PM

They need to play focused ball and stop turning it over. If we do that we will finish the season undefeated. Since that game at Sac last week where we had 7 turnovers for the game we've had 7 turnovers in the first QUARTER of the last few games. Unacceptable. 

Edited by LakersChamps243, April 07, 2013 - 08:06 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#16 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,156 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Pray that Utah loses to OKC and Memphis. Our only hope.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,095 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:13 PM

So how come he can't play Clark at the 3? Clark played less than Meeks tonight? And I already know what you're gonna say "Clark should only play the 4 so he can space the floor" don't give me that crap, you put your best 5 guys out there.

You have no idea what I'm gonna say and you prove it through your arrogance of not even getting the quote right.

I've always said to play Clark at the 3 and Metta at the 4 especially when I was advocating Gasol coming off the bench at 5.

#18 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Pray that Utah loses to OKC and Memphis. Our only hope.

They could lose 1 of those and if we went undefeated we would still be fine, but obviously that will be tough. Them losing both of those games allows us 1 mess-up.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#19 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:16 PM

LakersChamps, this "if only they could stop turnovers" thing has been said since day one.  There is absolutely zero reason its suddenly going to change under a coach who stresses a run and chuck offense.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,095 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:18 PM

We ain't run and chucked since the middle of january.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users