Photo

What is the point of making the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,279 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yep, I'm only satisfied with winning and you're satisfied with just existing.

We'll never understand each other and honestly that's fine with me.

#62 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:36 PM

lol 180+ million on this piece of [expletive] "win-now" team and coaching staff.

we are a joke.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#63 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,800 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yep, I'm only satisfied with winning and you're satisfied with just existing.

We'll never understand each other and honestly that's fine with me.

Fine with me too.

I love the team regardless of good times or bad. Loved the Lakers before their successes.

My earliest memories of the Lakers were them losing after winning.

I was born during their back-to-back and remember loving Magic Johnson as a baby.

But then through most of my life I watched them lose to Michael Jordan or Magic having to retire or get beaten by the Jazz and I grew up loathing the Jazz because of that.

But at the end of the day everytime I watched the Lakers I enjoyed it whether they were winning or losing.

Whether or not I thought the man with the magic glasses(James Worthy) was cheating cause he never missed a shot I could remember I loved watching them.

You love this team and successes.

I was there after their success and losing seasons and they didn't win again till the three-peat.

So I grew up loving them through all those "seasons" they didn't make it. And know what? I loved them regardless.

So I don't overreact during bad seasons or when they lose, cause I love them regardless.

They aren't the hotchick that gained 50 pounds after we dated and that I only smile in pictures with her after she loses weight.

They're the librarian that took a kid in and introduced me to an entire library of books that I shall always hold a special place in my heart for no matter how old and frail she gets.

No, you and I will never understand each other.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#64 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,343 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:09 PM

My thing is this.

We have the team that wins themost, so why cry when it's not our turn.kobe is still magnificient and we added Dwight Howard, but Cp3 and Blake are a tandem trying to get it, and when you look all over the league, it has NEVER been as competitive.

The MJ era was full of guys who in my opinion put the money above th e game.

I tyhink since Kobe became "Thatguy", NBA players hold themselves to a higher standard.

They all come in working hard, and this new breed of talent is going to make it tough on our Lakers for years to come.

THAt being said, you better enjoy Kobe's last few years, and at the same time, ride with your team.

Don't be the negative one who condemns them when things aren't close to being optimum conditions.

Nash,Metta and Hill are players that we're missing.

That would be like the Clippers missing Crawford,Butler, and Hollins...

#65 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,489 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Lakers make it, upset Spurs. Go on to upset the Clippers.

I feel like Houston will upset OKC, so we will end up playing either Houston or Nuggets. We would be rolling and defeat them.

THEN we play the BULLS in the finals and beat them, become the first 8th seed :)

I hope :/

Posted Image

#66 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,524 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Its unprotected.

One of the things I hated about that trade.

The lunacy of what the FO did this offseason will be felt for years to come.  I am gonna enjoy watching the team play better for the last few games of the season, hopefully see a few PO games ... and then hope next year is a bit better. because after that it could be a long dry spell.

#67 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 388 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:41 PM

i was just wondering how things are if the cp3 to the lakers went thru.......
Posted Image

#68 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,911 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:47 PM

i was just wondering how things are if the cp3 to the lakers went thru.......

Different.

#69 Murdercassette

Murdercassette

Rap game Billy Mays

• 596 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:49 PM

They're the librarian that took a kid in and introduced me to an entire library of books that I shall always hold a special place in my heart for no matter how old and frail she gets.

Posted Image

#70 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 2,468 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:54 PM

To think... The Lakers always let the good one walk or trade them. Caron, Lamar, Trevor, Ronny and I guess Phil. I demand Justice
Posted Image

#71 fido

fido

• 10,279 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Caron Butler - Incapable of playing defense, that wasn't ever gonna do well with that attitude.

Lamar Odom - Traded at the perfect time, wound up with Steve Nash for him.  If you said that was a mistake when it happened you're lying.  It was good deal.

Trevor Ariza - Screwed himself out of a post on this team by being greedy.  The Lakers wouldn't have won the second ring without Artest.  That wasn't a loss whatsoever.

Ronny - Got a huge, overblown offer from Golden State.  Had the Lakers matched it it would've been foolish.  Great decision.

Phil Jackson - One of the biggest gaffs in Laker history.  They hired Mike D'Antoni, an unproven, undisciplined hothead who commands no respect from p[layers and has no championship track record over the best coach in NBA history who is more than capable of managing the egos in L.A., handling the pressure here and has a championship pedigree.  Amazing, simply a stunningly stupid move.

#72 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,428 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:14 PM

In my opinion, making the playoffs this year would set the franchise back for a year or two.

If Lakers make the playoffs, there's a huge chance Pringles will stay next season

if Lakers make the playoffs, Lakers will remain mostly old next season

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#73 fido

fido

• 10,279 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Age ain't the problem, it's cohesion and a complete lack of discipline on the court.

Everything stems from the coach on down.  Teams take on the personality of their coach 100% of the time.

#74 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,984 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 07, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Age ain't the problem, it's cohesion and a complete lack of discipline on the court.

Everything stems from the coach on down.  Teams take on the personality of their coach 100% of the time.

It is a factor. The age of this team means less durability and athleticism. No elite team TODAY I can think of relies on this many old players to play heavy minutes as the Lakers do. Kobe is the league leader in minutes at age 34.

Edited by Japago, April 07, 2013 - 11:43 PM.

Posted Image

#75 fido

fido

• 10,279 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 12:45 AM

Age wins, youth doesn't.

#76 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,984 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted April 08, 2013 - 12:49 AM

Age wins, youth doesn't.

A mix of both wins.

Posted Image

#77 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:05 AM

What is the point when the Lakers will just get booted by OKC in 5 or 6? Also, making the playoffs makes it that much more likely that we see D'antoni still sitting courtside next season.

Even though OKC is a heavily favored to win the potential first round matchup against the Lakers, I still wouldn’t want to miss the playoffs. There is always a chance – just like when the 64-win Dallas Maverics with MVP Dirk lost to the Warriors in the first round. Anything is possible.

Another reason to make the playoffs is that we don’t have any draft picks, should we end in the lottery. Finally, this team needs to show Dwight that LA is a place to stay. Missing the playoffs would be a devastating blow in that regard.

#78 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,011 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:24 AM

Championship

#79 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,911 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:31 AM

In my opinion, making the playoffs this year would set the franchise back for a year or two.

If Lakers make the playoffs, there's a huge chance Pringles will stay next season

if Lakers make the playoffs, Lakers will remain mostly old next season

Hottest team in the league right now is the Knicks, they are an old team.  They also got demonstrably better the second that D'antoni walked out the door.  D'antoni is a system coach, and he coaches a losing system.  Even with the dream roster, his style has not and will never win a championship.  The Lakers personnel happens to be completely wrong for his system and he isn't capable of coming up with rotations or a strategy that will work.  The Lakers have a ton of talent, the highest payroll in the league, a top 3 scorer, the top rebounder, a perennial defensive player of the year and they are in serious serious jeopardy of just missing the playoffs all together.  Last year, they easily made the playoffs and even won a round with probably a worse lineup talent wise, its just disgusting to watch this team this season, total wasted year.

#80 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:13 PM

I think Lebron and the boys beg to differ. And before you go on your average age tangent. Their starters are young and play the majority of the game. I wouldn't mind an older bench but we have to get younger at the 1 and 3 for defensive purposes

Age wins, youth doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users