I am torn.
On one hand I really hate to see the Lakers not be at least a tiny part of the playoff picture. But on the other hand if they don't make it D'Antoni is for sure outta here. For the health of this team's present and future D'Antoni must go away as quickly as possible.
Really the playoff thing is more about pride than it is about winning right now - kinda sad, but true.
I very much disagree Lakers4Life:
1) Embarrassing for sure, but it would almost guarantee D'Antoni being gone.
2) That's not a reason for them making the playoffs. It's essentially the same as your number one. This year whether they make it or not has already been a monumental cause of depression for the organixation, team and the fans.
3) Kobe's legacy can survive this hit, much like it will survive the Tomjanovich season.
4) Every year the Lakers don't win a ring wit Kobe is waste of a year. Ask Kobe, he'll tell you the same.
5) The NBA playoffs are not unpredictable whatsoever. There is VERY rarely a Cinderella team that comes out of nowhere to win the whole thing. The Mavericks of two seasons ago and mostly the Rockets, who were the last team to be a non- home court advantage team and win the ring. Dallas was still a very strong team and not on the lower tier of playoff seeding. Beyond that the NBA playoffs are painfully predictable and a big reason why a lot of casual fans couldn't care less about them.