Photo

What is the point of making the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,010 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:59 PM

If we make the playoffs, it's because we're playing well. OKC are awesome and would be heavy favorites to win, but if we can pound them with size and make Westbrick do a bit too much, it's not unrealistic. Also, both Dwight and Kobe can win us a game.

Let's hope we make the playoffs and OKC does like the Mavs did a few years ago.

#42 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Reasons for making the playoffs
1) lakers have missed a total of 5 playoffs over 64 years. It would be embarrassing and a disgrace
2) we have 4 future hall of famers if we can't get in the playoffs that's just depressing
3) tarnish Kobe's legacy
4) waste another Kobe year
5) playoffs are unpredictable, look at the local LA kings last year finishing 8th and winning the whole thing(while NHL Is much less predictable than NBA, anything can really happen)

Are these not valid enough reasons for you as a Laker fan?
Laker fan for life.

#43 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:49 PM

I am torn.

On one hand I really hate to see the Lakers not be at least a tiny part of the playoff picture.  But on the other hand if they don't make it D'Antoni is for sure outta here. For the health of this team's present and future D'Antoni must go away as quickly as possible.

Really the playoff thing is more about pride than it is about winning right now - kinda sad, but true.

I very much disagree Lakers4Life:

1) Embarrassing for sure, but it would almost guarantee D'Antoni being gone.

2) That's not a reason for them making the playoffs.  It's essentially the same as your number one.  This year whether they make it or not has already been a monumental cause of depression for the organixation, team and the fans.

3) Kobe's legacy can survive this hit, much like it will survive the Tomjanovich season.

4) Every year the Lakers don't win a ring wit Kobe is waste of a year.  Ask Kobe, he'll tell you the same.

5) The NBA playoffs are not unpredictable whatsoever.  There is VERY rarely a Cinderella team that comes out of nowhere to win the whole thing.  The Mavericks of two seasons ago and mostly the Rockets, who were the last team to be a non- home court advantage team and win the ring.  Dallas was still a very strong team and not on the lower tier of playoff seeding.  Beyond that the NBA playoffs are painfully predictable and a big reason why a lot of casual fans couldn't care less about them.

#44 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:52 PM

Can you imagine lakers miss the playoffs and the suns get the #1 draft pick from us? How mad would you be? No make the playoffs we'd never live that down
Laker fan for life.

#45 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:54 PM

Can you imagine lakers miss the playoffs and the suns get the #1 draft pick from us? How mad would you be? No make the playoffs we'd never live that down
Laker fan for life.

#46 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:49 PM

^ its top 3 protected i believe

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#47 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 12:34 AM

^ its top 3 protected i believe

Its unprotected.

One of the things I hated about that trade.

#48 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,048 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted April 07, 2013 - 02:34 AM

Its unprotected.

One of the things I hated about that trade.

Who would have guessed that pick being unprotected might actually end up mattering?

But in all seriousness because we don't have the pick there's no point in tanking or something. Also, the Lakers don't do that [expletive], the goal is to put out a respectable product for fans to enjoy, and at that point the team has to do the best they can with what they've got, even if it means D'Antoni and a first round exit.

#49 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:53 AM

This topic is ridiculous

and embarrassing.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#50 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:24 AM

The point is we will make history if the lakers win it all.  Never in the history of the NBA an 8 seed win it all.  Why not make history?

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#51 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,737 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted April 07, 2013 - 09:09 AM

The point is we will make history if the lakers win it all.  Never in the history of the NBA an 8 seed win it all.  Why not make history?

:smh:

#52 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,137 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Some fans dunno what to feel.

If we were to go out in the first round

They are happy cause they think D'antoni would be fired.

Reality check: he won't.

Why?

They'll say he inherited an injured roster, used to playing a certain way, without a training camp.

They'll give him an entire off-season and training camp and see how we play before thinking of releasing him.

Now secondly

If we made it to the western conference finals, or the nba finals, or even won the nba finals.

You'd have a majority of fans pissed off we won the title becuse it would mean D'antoni would be returning the next year...

Ya'll focus on the coach ill enjoy any result of success in the playoffs regardless of who is coaching :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#53 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,353 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 11:30 AM

OKC heads back down to #2 with a loss to NY.

#54 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 07, 2013 - 02:18 PM

We were better last year. Better names this year. More skills last year

we almost won against them last year, if it wasn't for a couple last min games that we effed up

#55 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted April 07, 2013 - 02:22 PM

D'Antoni is the real problem. It's a lose-lose situation having him as the coach of the Lakers, as other posters have explained. Just knowing this idiot is running the LAKERS puts a horrible feeling in my stomach. His love of small ball, fast pace, no defense, the three (all of which are NOT strengths of our team) will never fit with the team. I can't possibly see how the front office can reason it out, but I believe they will probably not fire D'Antoni. 

#56 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 02:23 PM

This is obvious...You have to make the playoffs, even if you get swept. 

The coming together of all of these hall-of-famers, just to not make the playoffs...I remember hearing some radio show host saying it would be the biggest flop in pro sports history, and unfortunately, I have to absolutely agree with him. There's no excuse, even with injuries, because even with injuries, you still have a lineup with stars that few teams have (i.e. Kobe, Dwight OR Kobe, Nash, Pau OR Kobe, Pau, etc.). If you get swept in the first round, it's still a big flop...Maybe even one of the biggest. But not "the" biggest.

Edited by leor_77, April 07, 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#57 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 07, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Pride!

#58 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Enjoy Majesty.

The Lakers are not making the Western Conference Finals, the Finals or winning the ring this year.  If you still think that you're living in the same dream / excuse making world you've been ensconced in all year. 

You know when I first followed the Lakers in '82, it used to be about winning the ring, and winning the ring only, not just about enjoying any kind of playoff success the Lakers could possibly muster.  Not winning the ring was failure, nothing else was acceptable.  Sad to see Laker fans such as yourself have had to dumb down their expectations so much as to just be happy about any kind of playoff success.

Ignoring the coaching situation as if it has had no impact on the team, or somehow siding with D'Antoni and his complete lack of coaching ability is still amazing to me.

If the Lakers make the playoffs (which I still don't think they will), you enjoy your 4 game sweep or 1 win in the first round.  Those of us that aren't satisfied with being mediocre or worse will keep chirping about what needs to be fixed to accomplish the goal that all Laker fans should always and only care about - winning the ring.  Blame it on Jerry Buss, he spoiled Laker fans with winning championships and not being satisfied just "being there" or just "being a part of the playoffs".  That standard is what has made the Lakers one of the greatest sports franchise in the history of Earth - not enjoying any success they may have in the playoffs.

D'Antoni = no rings, ever - and possibly losing Dwight in the process. 

#59 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,137 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:33 PM

I love that you feel that way fido. But I'm a Lakers fan whether they're the first place team or the last place team and I enjoy any success they have. I'll love watching them just as equally through good times or bad times and will never be embarassed to be a fan no matter what kind of season they have :)

Rings may be what the organization is all about and I'm very fortunate to be born within the era of them, but win or lose I'll love and enjoy them regardless. At the end of the day I'm not a player fan or a coach fan before I'm a Lakers fan. Good times and bad ;)

So I'll enjoy them if they make it all the way to the finals or even if they lost in the first round. If they did, I'd have loved to watch them go further, but no year is a waste to me if I watched the Lakers during it. Win or lose.

I guess that's just the difference between us we'll just have to live with :)

Edited by Majesty, April 07, 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#60 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,246 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:34 PM

This may be a VERY expensive offseason for the Lakers. The new tax will kick in, so you wonder how much are they willing to pay. On top of that, MDA will hopefully will be released of his duties. Then we have to continue to pay Mike Brown his contract, and do not forget the new head coach.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users