Photo

What is the point of making the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

• 40,395 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'm already on the record as saying this off-season, we will hear the 'sources' that say Dwight Howard will not re-sign in LA unless D'Antoni is gone. 

Oh yes, I completely concur. I think that's just about 100% plausible & rightfully so.

yo.

#22 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Oh yes, I completely concur. I think that's just about 100% plausible & rightfully so.

If it happens, I'm pretty confident that Phil Jackson will be the coach next season. In addition, the deal would be agreed upon if Brian Shaw is the next head coach of the Lakers after the Zen Master walks away. 

So essentially Phil Jackson back for one year with Shaw as associate HC or top assistant, Phil then retires for good, and the Lakers go into the following off-season with a bunch of cap space that allows Shaw to build the team how he wants with Dwight as the center piece. 

• 40,395 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:57 PM

^ Sounds like a plan, a mighty good one if ya' ask me, but certainly, the Jim Buss obstacle will more than likely still remain. We'll see if Jeannie can impose her will on her stubborn Brother.

yo.

#24 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 01:00 PM

We handled the Thunder when we had our full lineup. Far as I know they've only beaten us when someone was sitting out.

And yes we did almost beat them last year, we controlled two of those games before blowing it at the end. Games 2,3,4 were ours and we have a better lineup this year and have beaten them handily and collectively taken their best punch two times(again with people sitting out) and came back on them making it close.

The Thunder aren't as unbeatable as half the people here think they are, and we matchup well against them.

Its just about making the playoffs and then doing damage.

We're a halfcourt team no one wants to face if we make the playoffs.

Because if we do it means we went on a roll and beat really tough teams(like Memphis last night)

The Thunder can be beat, we can beat them. But we have to make the playoffs first, if we're good enough to make the playoffs given our schedule closing out the season we'll be on a roll good enough to beat the Thunder.

Let's also not forget they lost Harden. They're weaker than last year and more dependant on Westbrook to make plays, and you've seen how he can be.

It's one thing to beat us when you have Duhon and Morris as your starting and backup point guard, or Dwight or Gasol have to miss the game.

Fact is when we had our full lineup, we handled them, easily.

And even when they did their "oh we gon blow u out early" stuff in OKC we came back on them, that was with Morris and Duhon starting..not Steve Nash.

Don't underestimate our chances.

But as I said, we gotta be on a roll going into the playoffs.

We got boat raced in 2 games. Barely won one with our back against the wall and if you want to count games where you have the lead in the 4th and lose in the finals minutes then the Lakers are amongst the best teams in the league this season. If you want to talk about things that really happened, the Lakers got handled in 5 and went out without even a shred of fight in game 5, 2 of the games were over ar halftime, and they are barely above .500 with 5 games to play this season. You are the master of optimism and misleading stats, but this team has no chance against the thunder in a 7 game series last season or this. I would and am going to bet a significant amount on it (if they make the playoffs) which I have predicted then to squeak in and get blown out in the first round since before the all star break. I want to be wrong. I love the Lakers, I even like watching this team, but the writing is on the wall. OKC is the nightmare matchup, they would have a better chance against Miami, which is no chance at all. Dream is spurs, but they will be a solid 2 seed.

#25 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,761 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Exactly what went through my mind, even if we win the ring and Dwight puts himself in a position where its either him or Mike, then the choice is obvious.. In addition, it will be obvious that the contribution of winning a ring will be because of the players ..

The plan for hiring Mike had been thrown in the garbage after he took the job shortly ... 

As long as we make the playoffs, I wouldn't eliminate our chances .. It will come down to the players being healthy, thats it.

Besides, if we go with your theory then no one other than the heat and their fans would watch the NBA

#26 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,393 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 06, 2013 - 02:29 PM

in a 7 game series we actually match up well with OKC. 7 game series is about adjustments and match ups. Keep them under 100 and we win in 5.

Defensively force the ball to Westbrook, stay in front of him, force him to be a jump shooter and live or die by that sword. Durant can go for 50 and Westbrook for 40...force a 3rd person to step up. Last I checked that 3rd person was on Houston now.

Offensively Lakers create serious match up issues for OKC. More than they do for us. WTF are they gonna do about D12? They have no solution. Perkins will get owned.

#27 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,472 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 06, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Anyone that thinks the Lakers will beat the Thunder is delusional. DELUSIONAL.

That team spanks our ass every time we play them, especially in their arena. They have the best defender for Dwight(Perkins is a scrub, but gives Dwight fits) Durant is great, and Westbrook toasts us pretty much every time we play them.

Lakers have a shot against San Antonio. I love the Lakers but it's true. The Thunder have kicked our ass lately.

#28 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,764 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 06, 2013 - 02:48 PM

If the lakers beat the Thunder it will only be happening on my PS3.

#29 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,393 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 06, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Anyone that thinks the Lakers will beat the Thunder is delusional. DELUSIONAL.

That team spanks our ass every time we play them, especially in their arena. They have the best defender for Dwight(Perkins is a scrub, but gives Dwight fits) Durant is great, and Westbrook toasts us pretty much every time we play them.

Lakers have a shot against San Antonio. I love the Lakers but it's true. The Thunder have kicked our ass lately.

regular season games = No useable data to determine the outcome of a 7 game playoff match up.

#30 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,472 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 06, 2013 - 03:16 PM

regular season games = No useable data to determine the outcome of a 7 game playoff match up.

Okay.

Doesn't change the fact that it's just a bad match up. They have explosive players, we don't play defense. Seems pretty simple to me.

#31 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted April 06, 2013 - 03:22 PM

for D12

33bkfif.jpg

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,847 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 06, 2013 - 03:29 PM

We have a better starting line up and better bench than last year. The starters for OKC got better, but that bench is weaker without Harden.
We could give them a lot more trouble than last season.

#33 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 03:33 PM

What is the point of you being a fan, OP

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#34 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 904 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted April 06, 2013 - 03:33 PM

:facepalm:

lol.....What a fan.

What is the point in making the playoffs? How about, what is the point in not making the playoffs? If you want the season to end so badly, just stop watching. 

What is the point of you being a fan, OP

#35 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted April 06, 2013 - 03:42 PM

lol....80% of this board.

Fixed.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#36 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 06, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Why?

Because this is professional competitive sports

Have you ever competed in any way?  The goal is to win

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#37 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,550 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted April 06, 2013 - 05:25 PM

This topic is ridiculous

#38 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 06:26 PM

We have a better starting line up and better bench than last year. The starters for OKC got better, but that bench is weaker without Harden.
We could give them a lot more trouble than last season.

Well we sure do have a much worse record for having better starters and bench players than we did last year, but you know, those are just hard statistical numbers as opposed to someones subjective opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

#39 K-Kris

K-Kris

Forum Browser

• 615 posts
  • Name:Kris
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 06, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Whats the point of making the playoffs?

To give us a chance at the championship.

#40 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted April 06, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Making the playoffs doesn't mean D'Antoni is guaranteed to be back.  If we were to get in and get swept by what looks like OKC at this point, you could see another coaching change. 

Making the playoffs means PHX doesn't get a lottery pick from us. 

Making the playoffs means we don't miss the playoffs for the 6th time in franchise history. 

Making the playoffs means more Lakers basketball, which means more Kobe Bryant.

Despite what our chances are, we want the Lakers in the playoffs.  We don't watch sports to watch our teams miss the post-season. 

this is exactly what i was going to post. thanks for saving me some typing.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users