Photo

What is the point of making the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 soooobased

soooobased

llama

• 226 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Horry, Fisher

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:56 AM

What is the point when the Lakers will just get booted by OKC in 5 or 6? Also, making the playoffs makes it that much more likely that we see D'antoni still sitting courtside next season.

Posted Image
Props to fkMikeBrown

#2 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 1,515 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:04 AM

i think we'll have a better season next year regardless if Antoni is there or not. It's the personnel on the team that needs to change to fit his system.  Besides since we basically have no draft picks and the ones we have are useless, not making the playoffs hold no benefit. It's a new season when the playoffs start, every team is on equal ground..we have a chance

also, i think this team has a better chance at beating the thunder, as crazy as that sounds, as compared to last year

Edited by RobBlake, April 06, 2013 - 11:05 AM.

ap1.png

#3 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,911 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Well, they don't have any draft picks, so they have nothing to gain by tanking.  D'antoni will almost certainly be back, since they are in cap hell and won't be willing to have 3 coaches on the books, especially when the only person they would boot him for is PJ who would want the sun and the moon to coach.  Also, the objective of the game is to win, if they win games, they will make the playoffs and yes probably get demolished by whomever they face, but at least they have a chance if they are actually playing in the games as opposed to watching them at home.

#4 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 2,756 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:09 AM

:facepalm:

#5 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,911 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:09 AM

i think we'll have a better season next year regardless if Antoni is there or not. It's the personnel on the team that needs to change to fit his system.  Besides since we basically have no draft picks and the ones we have are useless, not making the playoffs hold no benefit. It's a new season when the playoffs start, every team is on equal ground..we have a chance

also, i think this team has a better chance at beating the thunder, as crazy as that sounds, as compared to last year

I would put the odds of them beating the thunder in a 7 game series at around 5% barring a catastrophic injury to a Thunder player.  The Thunder are young, have an explosive point guard, have an unstoppable offensive player in Durant, and a couple of serviceable big guys to combat the Lakers size.  I would say it is the Lakers nightmare matchup to be honest.

#6 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,842 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:11 AM

lol.....What a fan.

#7 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 1,515 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:12 AM

I would put the odds of them beating the thunder in a 7 game series at around 5% barring a catastrophic injury to a Thunder player.  The Thunder are young, have an explosive point guard, have an unstoppable offensive player in Durant, and a couple of serviceable big guys to combat the Lakers size.  I would say it is the Lakers nightmare matchup to be honest.

we almost won against them last year, if it wasn't for a couple last min games that we effed up

ap1.png

#8 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,647 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:18 AM

we almost won against them last year, if it wasn't for a couple last min games that we effed up

We didn't almost win.   We maybe could/should've stole Game 2, but that was probably the difference between losing in 5 and losing in 6.

We need to make the play-offs this year.  It will be evidence of this team being able to overcome a ton of adversity and accomplish something, even if the end result is a first round ouster.  

They are going to get skewered anything short of a trip to the WCF. But, making the play-offs, given where they've come from, will at least give them something to feel decent about.

Plus, by matching up with a top team for 4-7 games, management will get a chance to really size this team up against a top West team.   It's something we thought would happen in the WCF, but instead will be on display in RD 1.

It is what it is.  

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#9 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,911 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:21 AM

It was a 4-1 series win for the Thunder, 2 of the games were absolute blowouts.   

#10 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,842 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:26 AM

It was a 4-1 series win for the Thunder, 2 of the games were absolute blowouts.   

That was last year.....its different now. Both teams have made big changes.

#11 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,800 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:27 AM

We handled the Thunder when we had our full lineup. Far as I know they've only beaten us when someone was sitting out.

And yes we did almost beat them last year, we controlled two of those games before blowing it at the end. Games 2,3,4 were ours and we have a better lineup this year and have beaten them handily and collectively taken their best punch two times(again with people sitting out) and came back on them making it close.

The Thunder aren't as unbeatable as half the people here think they are, and we matchup well against them.

Its just about making the playoffs and then doing damage.

We're a halfcourt team no one wants to face if we make the playoffs.

Because if we do it means we went on a roll and beat really tough teams(like Memphis last night)

The Thunder can be beat, we can beat them. But we have to make the playoffs first, if we're good enough to make the playoffs given our schedule closing out the season we'll be on a roll good enough to beat the Thunder.

Let's also not forget they lost Harden. They're weaker than last year and more dependant on Westbrook to make plays, and you've seen how he can be.

It's one thing to beat us when you have Duhon and Morris as your starting and backup point guard, or Dwight or Gasol have to miss the game.

Fact is when we had our full lineup, we handled them, easily.

And even when they did their "oh we gon blow u out early" stuff in OKC we came back on them, that was with Morris and Duhon starting..not Steve Nash.

Don't underestimate our chances.

But as I said, we gotta be on a roll going into the playoffs.

Edited by Majesty, April 06, 2013 - 11:34 AM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#12 Mumford

Mumford

Rookie

• 167 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Just enjoy a little bit.

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,009 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:34 AM

No idea
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#14 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,441 posts
  • Name:Chao❤Wade
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:50 AM

What is the point in making the playoffs? How about, what is the point in not making the playoffs? If you want the season to end so badly, just stop watching. 

Edited by -Wade-, April 06, 2013 - 11:50 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 39,309 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Also, making the playoffs makes it that much more likely that we see D'antoni still sitting courtside next season.

Not entirely true. If we are to get demolished in the first round embarrassingly, it has been reported by Sheridan that D'Antoni will highly likely be fired, but if we are to advance past the first then who knows? He only mentioned a first round exit and in an embarrassing style being enough to fire his ass from his "sources", not sure if "multiple" though.

yo.

#16 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,086 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:33 PM

I cant stand people who say this [expletive]. If there is no point then I guess theres no point to watch them the rest of the season right. Also there must be no point to even be on this forum. Its a game that we enjoy to watch and we enjoy to watch our team play. Idc if they lose in the playoffs. I still want them to get there. 

Edited by bigfetz, April 06, 2013 - 12:33 PM.

• 39,309 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Because if you get in, it's like March Madness, anything can happen. Okay not exactly, but still.

yo.

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,980 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Making the playoffs doesn't mean D'Antoni is guaranteed to be back.  If we were to get in and get swept by what looks like OKC at this point, you could see another coaching change. 

Making the playoffs means PHX doesn't get a lottery pick from us. 

Making the playoffs means we don't miss the playoffs for the 6th time in franchise history. 

Making the playoffs means more Lakers basketball, which means more Kobe Bryant.

Despite what our chances are, we want the Lakers in the playoffs.  We don't watch sports to watch our teams miss the post-season. 

• 39,309 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:49 PM

http://www.sheridanh...g-to-get-fired/

And if that team fails to make the playoffs, or goes down in flames in the first round, you can be fairly confident that Mike D’Antoni is going to lose his job — especially if it is one of the key factors in determining whether Dwight Howard stays or goes when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Check that, change fairly confident to highly confident.

yo.

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,980 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:50 PM

^^^

I'm already on the record as saying this off-season, we will hear the 'sources' that say Dwight Howard will not re-sign in LA unless D'Antoni is gone. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users