Photo

Mike D’Antoni Needs To Adjust Offense To Player’s Strengths

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

• 40,365 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Mike D’Antoni Needs To Adjust Offense To Fit Player’s Strengths

One of the most controversial moves that the Los Angeles Lakers made this season, and perhaps ever, was their hiring of head coach Mike D’Antoni. The last time D’Antoni was on the NBA scene both he and the New York Knicks had decided to “mutually part ways.” The last image Laker fans had in their heads was basically their new head coach getting fired.

Still though, Laker fans wanted the alternative. However, I guess when you’ve won 11 championships, your name is Phil Jackson, and you’ve cemented yourself in Laker lore. It doesn’t matter what the last image fans had of you is. I personally think hiring Jackson would not have made that much of a difference. I think the game had finally passed him by, but that’s just my opinion.

What Phil would have done though, probably better than anyone currently coaching in the NBA and certainly better than D’Antoni, is adjust his system to fit the players on the roster. Whether that would have equated to another Lakers championship is unknown. What will be known by the time the playoffs come around, if the Lakers even make it that far, is if D’Antoni can swallow his pride and abandon his ideology that there is no need for a center to clog up the lane.

uspw_7207800.jpg

In case D’Antoni doesn’t know, the Lakers second biggest weapon is the guy who is cloggin the lane, Dwight Howard. When Kobe is having off nights it seems that instead of letting the only other guy on the team capable of taking over a game offensively take over. The Lakers continue to go to what isn’t working, Kobe Bryant. An Eastern Conference scout recently said that Dwight Howard is, “not totally committed to being there and playing that system.”

He continues by saying, “Under Mike Brown, he was going to be a focal point. When you make the coaching change and move to the style of play D’Antoni prefers, it doesn’t include making sure the ball goes through Dwight and back out in order to get the offense going. His effort has been comical at times. He wants the ball but has no intention of working for it.”

If that is not evidence for you that D’Antoni needs to change his offense, adjusting it to a style more suitable for the player who holds the Lakers future in his hands, here’s what one Western Conference executive said,

“If you listed the 10 best offenses to run for the Lakers’ personnel, the two they’ve tried to run — the Princeton offense and D’Antoni’s offense — would be near the bottom. That’s their biggest problem.”

So why hasn’t D’Antoni made the transition to another offense? Well it mostly has to do with the fact that it is probably too late to do so. Additionally, D’Antoni’s offense is built around the idea that you don’t need a center in the lane. It has no alternative options for a center in the low post. It’s like trying to press the play button on an Ipod, except the play button has been ripped out, it isn’t an option. If D’Antoni continues to ignore the importance of Howard in the low post he will be exiting from the playoffs early.

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Edited by    , April 05, 2013 - 12:18 PM.

yo.

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,025 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 05, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Should have been done back in November. 

#3 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,696 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 05, 2013 - 01:02 PM

MDA and "adjust to the players" are not typically found in the same sentence.

#4 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted April 05, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Should have been done back in November. 

Posted Image

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,879 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 05, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Dude been coach for almost 6 months

And he is still getting criticisms for not doing something that he should have done in the first month

Ouch

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 05, 2013 - 02:37 PM

What an absolute moron.

7 games left and now some mild adjustments made?  His dismissal / departure / firing / resignation can't come soon enough.  As long as this buffoon is with the Lakers, the team and organization is going absolutely nowhere.

#7 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,230 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 05, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Mike D'Antoni needs to leave.

EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,351 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 05, 2013 - 03:38 PM

Adjustments would mean D'Antoni would need to actually coach.... That's not happening.

#9 Lkr

Lkr

Rookie

• 165 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:01 PM

To be honest the Lakers score more than enough to win every game.  It has never been an offensive problem, and it will never be an offensive problem. 

#10 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:16 PM

It is an offensive problem with D'Antoni at the helm.  This team A) doesn't run plays for 3/4 of a game at least and B) they don't have any idea where to line up when in the half court offense, which this team is built for.  Any offensive success this team has had this season has been because Kobe was handling the ball as a defacto PG, ignoring D'Antoni's "System" (which I still fail to see at any point on the court), and running elements of a relaxed triangle.  Or its been because they have lined up in a double post style offense, which again has zilch to do with D'Antoni.

It IS an offensive AND defensive problem and D'Antoni is the at the heart of it.

#11 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,734 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Howard had tons of touches down low and i dont see any significant dominance in that area, otherwise he wouldnt say he'll go train with hakeem this offseason ..

Plus, as mentioned 7 games left and you want changes ? Mike knew before hiring his system wouldnt fit the team. Matter of fact, he acquiesced that kobe will be kobe, which is more realistic to the personnel than what Mike had to bring..

Howard had a number of games where he dominated but most of his shine came from Kobe attracting the defense(PnR)

• 40,365 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:44 PM

Howard had tons of touches down low and i dont see any significant dominance in that area, otherwise he wouldnt say he'll go train with hakeem this offseason

Didn't he already do that? If he didn't seem to learn anything that significant the first time what's to say this time around will be any different?

yo.

#13 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,429 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:56 PM

lmao Dwight hates playing for him. I don't blame him. MDA is a moron.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,931 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:02 PM

1) We aren't playing D'antoni's offense
2) Dwight has had the 2nd most post touches in the league

Are all people gonna gripe about be those 2 things for the entire year? Its about 4 months old.

Oh and I see the sneak in on Dwight not having work ethic or effort and saying that Kobe being main ball handler won't work.. What is this article 4 months old or something?

Pick something new, like the spacing or something! But this whoe, Dwight doesn't try, Kobe shouldn't be main facilitator, Dwight doesn't gewt touches crap is old by now. If anyone actually read the article and didn't use the thread just to vent about the coach they'd realise..

This guy is an idiot.

Edited by Majesty, April 05, 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#15 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,030 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:06 PM

The games I fear the most are the games when our threes are not going in. That is when the players just pass the ball to Kobe and WATCH him. I do not understand why at times we abandon our low-post game. We have the league's most dominant big man. When we go on a scoring drought, I noticed that many of our players do not move without the ball. Many just sit outside the perimeter and watch or force up jump shots. Not saying this is all MDA's fault, but we need to fix this.

Dwight will get the job done. All he has to say, " I am not signing unless he is gone." I expect him to flirt with teams such as Dallas, but I still think he will resign with us. Will the Lakers comply with Dwight's wishes? Should be an interesting off-season.

Edited by Gotrings?, April 05, 2013 - 06:06 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,365 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I do not understand why at times we abandon our low-post game. We have the league's most dominant big man.

Maybe some of our guys get discouraged sometimes from continuing to go to him after seeing missed free throw after missed free throw.

yo.

#17 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,406 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Maybe some of our guys get discouraged sometimes from continuing to go to him after seeing missed free throw after missed free throw.

better than bricked 3s that don't get the opponent into foul trouble.

Edited by LakeShow805, April 05, 2013 - 06:21 PM.

• 40,365 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:22 PM

^ No_Doubt_Tragic_Kingdom.jpg

yo.

#19 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,734 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Didn't he already do that? If he didn't seem to learn anything that significant the first time what's to say this time around will be any different?

Yeah he did, will do it again according to him..

Yeah Dwight's post ups are raw and predictable, he needs Hakeem or at least Bynum since he isn't doing anything this year and probably next year..

Was sarcastic about Bynum, before anyone comes and make a useful comparison. 

#20 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:45 PM

This is exactly why there is a Fire D'Antoni Thread.

In a nutshell, D'Antoni tries to fit a players strength into his offense, rather than the other way around like this article says.

This is why he really haven't had real success in a system before. Yes, he did win a lot of games with Phoenix, but instead of giving him props for those teams, i'd rather ask why didn't he take those teams all the way. I think coaches (real coaches) like PJ, Pop, Tibs and Rivers could have gone all the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users