32 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:41 AM

The recent story on ESPN discuss Mark Cuban's thoughts on drafting Brittney Griner.

http://espn.go.com/n...griner-play-nba

Personally i think there will be a female NBA player, but unfortunately not someone who can actually play in the league, but rather a media-stunt by someone like Cuban.

Remember, Griner is a center at 6'8'' and she isn't a shooter, like most Cs. However, in the NBA she has the size of a wing, but without the strength, speed and athleticism, and without being a threat from the outside.

This is not a knock on her. I think she's awesome, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

What do you guys think?

#2 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:54 AM

That's what the WNBA is for.

#3 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:56 AM

That's what the WNBA is for.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#4 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,453 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Yes. 100%.

Next year Cuban is going to draft Brittney Griner as the biggest publicity stunt on earth.

mark-cuban-brittney-griner-nba-wnba-draf

Mark Cuban may draft Brittney Griner

LOS ANGELES -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban would be willing to give Baylor women's star Brittney Griner the opportunity to prove she could play in the NBA.

Cuban said he would consider selecting Griner, a 6-foot-8 three-time All-American and Big 12 player of the year, in the second round of the NBA draft. If the Mavs don't draft her, Cuban said he would have "no problem whatsoever" inviting Griner to try out for a spot on Dallas' summer league team.

"If she is the best on the board, I will take her," Cuban said before the Mavs' Tuesday night game against the Los Angeles Lakers. "I've thought about it. I've thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I'd lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance, and it's not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it."

http://espn.go.com/d...allas-mavericks

Edited by LakersGAFan, April 05, 2013 - 06:28 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#5 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,837 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:28 AM

There probably will at some point, will there ever be a good one is the real question. And that answer is an restounding no.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#6 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 972 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:50 AM

No. The woman's game is just so slow. There is no way one could compete with the athleticism in the nba. Steve Nash would still take candace parker to school.

#7 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:00 AM

The best women just cannot compete with the best men, it's just nature. Take for example Annika Sorenstam, best female golfer we have seen too date. She took part in a male PGA competition and missed the cut with two over par rounds and golf isn't even a PHYSICAL sport. Griner would get destroyed, come on now.

#8 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,979 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:25 AM

In 1979 Ann Meyers was brought into camp by the Indiana Pacers, but I think that's as close as it will ever get.

http://www.dailymoti...rt#.UV8W9lfNkS8

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,769 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:19 AM

She would get embarrassed. I mean really she would get destroyed by allot of high school guys. She could never have made it into college mens basketball, so why do people actually think she should be in nba. Dominating girls college basketball means nothing. 

#10 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Ann Meyers is the perfect example, Fido.

She didn't have the size, but she had the speed and skills...yet, the NBA tryouts, alone, had her literally crying.

Brittney Griner has size and skills, but again, it would be the same issue...but magnified, as players are generally stronger and more athletic (as a whole) than they were back in the 70s. Women are as well, but the increase over time wasn't as big.

It all goes back to what I said in the other topic. If Griner comes to set a screen on LeBron, and he drives his shoulder into her the same way he did Boozer...she's in the ER.

#11 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:28 AM

WNBA

#12 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,453 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:47 AM

you guys are thinking like basketball scouts. As if skills matter? LMAO.

These aint players, there products.

Besides Cubans gonna have what pick? 15-20 probably?

What player is he gonna take thats gonna matter anyways.

He drafts Brittney Griner, She sees 2-3 mins in garbage time of losses or blow outs. He makes a few $100 million in merch and endorsement value.

I bet every stadium she goes to is a sell out.

A bunch of 15 year old girls get pulled into the NBA fan scene because a girl is there doing it big with the boys. EVEN PRACTICING = $$$

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 05, 2013 - 12:28 PM

you guys are thinking like basketball scouts. As if skills matter? LMAO.
These aint players, there products.
Besides Cubans gonna have what pick? 15-20 probably?
What player is he gonna take thats gonna matter anyways.

He drafts Brittney Griner, She sees 2-3 mins in garbage time of losses or blow outs. He makes a few $100 million in merch and endorsement value.

I bet every stadium she goes to is a sell out.
A bunch of 15 year old girls get pulled into the NBA fan scene because a girl is there doing it big with the boys. EVEN PRACTICING = $$$

Griner wouldn't get 2-3 minutes a game, though, at least for a full season. Even in garbage time. The risk is too great.

Skills and abilities do matter, though. If they didn't, drafting a female player would have been done a long time ago. There have been many chances, with incredible players like Swoopes, Lobo, Holdsclaw, Leslie, Cooper, Parker, Moore, Jackson, etc.

Cuban, Buss, and a few other GM's would have cashed in on that opportunity long ago, if it was all about the money (and don't get me wrong, I believe Cuban sees the dollar signs, but part of that is also because Griner is most likely the female that COULD get it done...even though there's no chance of her being successful).

#14 Legendary834

Legendary834

Immortal

• 121 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 05, 2013 - 01:54 PM

I haven't watched Griner in the WNBA but from what I've seen from her college days she mainly scored by overpowering her opponents, she didn't show a lot of post moves but her size allowed her to score at will. Unfortunately I just can't see that transfer into the NBA, being 6'8 and 206 pounds would make it difficult for her to post up against the majority of players and without significant shooting or dribbling skills I'm just not sure what role she could play for a team.

#15 Lkr

Lkr

Rookie

• 165 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 03:47 PM

I want to see it just to piss you guys off.  I don't know why, but you guys seem legit mad over the possibility of a woman playing in the NBA.  If she makes the cut in tryouts, then she deserves it.  Do I think she is good enough?  Probably not, but she can always prove me wrong.  I know she could dominate me in a game of basketball however.  To ask if it ever will happen is a bit vague though.  Assuming the NBA is around 100 years from now, I think it is possible that at some point there will be at least one woman on a team in the league.

#16 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:00 PM

I want to see it just to piss you guys off.  I don't know why, but you guys seem legit mad over the possibility of a woman playing in the NBA.  If she makes the cut in tryouts, then she deserves it.  Do I think she is good enough?  Probably not, but she can always prove me wrong.  I know she could dominate me in a game of basketball however.  To ask if it ever will happen is a bit vague though.  Assuming the NBA is around 100 years from now, I think it is possible that at some point there will be at least one woman on a team in the league.

No ones pissed lol....she is just going to get destroyed on the court

#17 Lkr

Lkr

Rookie

• 165 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 04:06 PM

No ones pissed lol....she is just going to get destroyed on the court

If you honestly think that, why does the idea of her trying out irk you?  If Cuban picks her with a late second round pick, she really has the same odds of becoming a player that gets minutes as anyone else at that point in the draft.  If she tries out and can hang with her teammates, is a good locker room presence, and gets a chance to prove herself, is it that big of a deal to you?  Say she goes out and isn't good enough.  It isn't like she will be the first player to not be good enough to play in the NBA, but at the end of the day you can respect her for putting forth the effort and making an attempt.  She probably isn't good enough talent wise to be an NBA player, but if she works hard at it and tries out(and even if she doesn't make the team), she should be applauded for at least trying.

#18 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,497 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Nah.
iyjywo.jpg

#19 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:23 PM

If you honestly think that, why does the idea of her trying out irk you?  If Cuban picks her with a late second round pick, she really has the same odds of becoming a player that gets minutes as anyone else at that point in the draft.  If she tries out and can hang with her teammates, is a good locker room presence, and gets a chance to prove herself, is it that big of a deal to you?  Say she goes out and isn't good enough.  It isn't like she will be the first player to not be good enough to play in the NBA, but at the end of the day you can respect her for putting forth the effort and making an attempt.  She probably isn't good enough talent wise to be an NBA player, but if she works hard at it and tries out(and even if she doesn't make the team), she should be applauded for at least trying.

Whoa calm down I don't see anyone here being "irked" at the possibility of a female NBA player.

#20 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,453 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Theres already a few female players in the NBA right now.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users