Mark Cuban Says Brittney Griner Should Play In NBA

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 09:55 PM

http://blacksportson...-hed-draft-her/

courtesy of Larry Brown Sports.

Brittney_Griner.jpg

“If she is the best on the board, I will take her,” Cuban said, per McMahon. “I’ve thought about it. I’ve thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I’d lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance, and it’s not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it.”

Cuban also reportedly told McMahon that he would at least be open to inviting her to play for the team’s summer league squad. Not only is Cuban curious to see whether Griner can play at an NBA level, but he also knows such a signing would be great for business.

“That’d sell out a few games,” he said.

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

What do you guys think?

yo.

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:59 PM

Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Turasi would've also killed a ton of NBA players.

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:02 AM

^ How about Cynthia Cooper?

yo.

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:42 AM

She could too.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:49 AM

So would Cheryl Miller.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Highly doubt it in old-school NBA, but this new-school in today's game, I'd say it's possible as well simply because of the dramatic change in physicality (what's allowed & what's not). Overall, the game has become a lot softer as most people know and that would bode well naturally (no offense) for Women.

I do also believe there's a lot of great Female pure shooters out there, in fact many superior to Men imo. I think this is almost obviously where if any could and or did make it, would excel.

Brittney Griner Says She Can Hold Her Own Against Men, Has Interest in NBA

http://blacksportson...nterest-in-nba/

z_y.png

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#7 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,809 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Are you guys out of your minds? [expletive] no.

You guys don't see what will happen if you have a female playing with men? That's an instant 5 vs 4, giving the team with the female on their team a massive advantage over the latter.

You can't block her shot, you can't post her up, you can't dunk on her, and play any kind of defense much less physical defense on her.

Why would you do that. That's just taking away athletic players game that they worked so hard for. That would mean LeBron will have to settle for jump shots instead of doing what he does.

This is not the god damn YMCA. This is a league filled with tough players who worked their asses off. I mean I get pissed off when the other team picks a female when we run 5's at the YMCA...

Edited by Jackson, April 03, 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#8 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,606 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Lol.

No female could keep up with the scrubiest NBA player. I can now tell who actually plays basketball here.
iyjywo.jpg

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,225 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:43 PM

no harm in letting her try out. she likely won't make a roster so what does it hurt

Posted Image

#10 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,823 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:14 PM

Britney Griner would have no chance in the NBA. She dominates women with her size, but she'd have no such luck in the NBA.

There are only a handful of WNBA players that I think could find some small success on an NBA team (maybe as like a fringe 14th or 15th man), but that's pretty much it. There is no way a woman could be a rotational player in the NBA, it's just not going to happen. Not being sexist, but there's too much of a physical difference between professional male and female athletes.

#11 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,729 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Lol.

No female could keep up with the scrubiest NBA player. I can now tell who actually plays basketball here.

i play basketball...there are WNBA players that could win 1 on 1 games against bench warmers easily

at the end of the day though, more often than not, the competition would simply be bigger, faster, and stronger on both ends if you're talking an actual game

Posted Image

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:29 PM

You're wrong

There's physical differences but thats if the female is bodying up all the time.

A woman can play screen and roll or pick and roll as well as menm

Are their jumpshots that much shorter? Are their passes that much slower?
Is their speed that much worse.

So a 5'9 point guard can use their speed and advantage to make layups and jump shots but a woman would have no such luck?

There are a lot of deadly female jump shooters in the game that would burn someone if they were left open and their have been women point guards that would burn men on pick and rolls all day.

It ain't all "physicality" as people want to try to simplify it to, a woman can have the same instincts as a male when it comes to passing and shooting.

They may not dominate in the post as much as men but driving on them, shooting in their face and passing?

No problem.

Some of ya'll are too close minded.

Leave Cheryl Miller wide open off a pick and roll and watch what happens, you'll get burned the same way her brother would burn you.

If you think just cause men are physically stronger that a womans basketball player couldn't make them pay you're very wrong and to be completely honest some of the grestest womens players have more "complete" games than some of the men.

I swear some of ya'll lol. It ain't gonna take your man card away to admit that some women can hang with the guys.

They will pop a jumper in your face or make a pass you can't see like any other, bodying up on you, you may have an argument, but pick and roll, passing and jump shots?

Mia Moore was brought into team USA practice with the likes of LeBron Kobe and a lot of that gold medal team. Coach K brought her in to practice with the guys and run hard scrimmages.

Some of them thought the way you do now, and she embarassed those that did and in coach K's words "wore some of them out"

Keep thinking just cause they're women they can't match up with you or bust a jumper in your eye, it will be more than your ego that hurts.

#13 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,729 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:34 PM

if you're talking to me, this is why i said more often than not...did not say there aren't women that could hang in the NBA...just talking %ages, likelihood of getting run, being the best option in NBA scenarios

Posted Image

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:46 PM

No that wasn't to you, was writing that post for a while today. Forgot who i was even saying was wrong lol

#15 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,606 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Lauren Jackson, 6 foot 5, 180 pounds can set screens and roll to the basket in the NBA? Keep in mind she's one of the league's best post players. Doubt it. Yes, if you leave Cheryl Miller open, she'll burn you. And if you leave a random dude who plays at the local YMCA open he'll burn you too. You're stating hypotheticals, brotha. Just my opinion.

Men are quicker, stronger, more athletic and more physical. There's no way any woman can keep up in the NBA.

I play Division 1 basketball. I've played pickup games with some of the scrubbiest NBA players (Jeremy Tyler, ex-Warrior) and it's an entirely different thing. This kid looked like Jordan against random, above average males who were his size and were probably even quicker than him. It's different.

iyjywo.jpg

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Lauren Jackson, 6 foot 5, 180 pounds can set screens and roll to the basket in the NBA? Keep in mind she's one of the league's best post players. Doubt it. Yes, if you leave Cheryl Miller open, she'll burn you. And if you leave a random dude who plays at the local YMCA open he'll burn you too. You're stating hypotheticals, brotha. Just my opinion.

Men are quicker, stronger, more athletic and more physical. There's no way any woman can keep up in the NBA.

I play Division 1 basketball. I've played pickup games with some of the scrubbiest NBA players (Jeremy Tyler, ex-Warrior) and it's an entirely different thing. This kid looked like Jordan against random, above average males who were his size and were probably even quicker than him. It's different.

It ain't hypothetical "brotha"

People get left open in the NBA and there's opening off the pick and rolls for passes off screens, you mean to tell me that a woman couldn't pass off a screen as good as a guy? You're telling me a woman is less likely to be left wide open than a guy?

THST is hypotheticals. Im willing to bet women can burn men off the pick and roll as well as a guy, court vision, passing and shooting are all things you consider.

They wouldn't be "setting" the screens, they'd be using the screens and passing off them or shooting off them.

Do you actually think they aren't capable?

Basketball players know how to take advantage of what they don't have and be effective.

You really think in your mind "brotha" that if Mya Moore had a screen set for her she couldn't run off the scree and make the jump shot, or make a pass off the screen to an open teammate just cause she's a woman. Thats crazy brotha.

#17 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,809 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:21 PM

It ain't hypothetical "brotha"

People get left open in the NBA and there's opening off the pick and rolls for passes off screens, you mean to tell me that a woman couldn't pass off a screen as good as a guy? You're telling me a woman is less likely to be left wide open than a guy?

THST is hypotheticals. Im willing to bet women can burn men off the pick and roll as well as a guy, court vision, passing and shooting are all things you consider.

They wouldn't be "setting" the screens, they'd be using the screens and passing off them or shooting off them.

Do you actually think they aren't capable?

Basketball players know how to take advantage of what they don't have and be effective.

You really think in your mind "brotha" that if Mya Moore had a screen set for her she couldn't run off the scree and make the jump shot, or make a pass off the screen to an open teammate just cause she's a woman. Thats crazy brotha.

First of all, if it's as simple as you describe it, then how come it hasn't happened yet? If basketball was just about shooting the [expletive]ing ball off screens or passing then I would be in the NBA right now.

But it's not. And don't make it out to look that way. Basketball is about hustle and physicality and attacking the basket. It's about lasting 48 minutes of Basketball. It's about rebounding, being vicious and shutting down opposing players.

If you're going against a female you can't touch her, play any kind of defense, rip the ball away from her, shove her, or attack her. If a girl is playing, then the game becomes extremely un-even.

And come on, you want this rookie to be in the NBA but you have real shooters/Basketball players trying to find spots on foreign teams? You have AI sitting out and all these ex-Basketball players playing on Asian basketball teams and you're saying this (NBA mediocre level) female should play?

Edited by Jackson, April 03, 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Not a chance, for any female, at any level (NCAA or WNBA).

Yeah, guys are left open in the NBA.  It happens.  Sadly, this isn't football, and you have to play both ends of the court.

In addition to that, women do not get enough elevation on their jumper.  Even guys that are left open are contested a bit, and a close-out by a 6-8 LeBron, even from the paint to the perimeter, would send any woman's shot into the crowd unless she was the same height.

But you can give me the absolute BEST offensive player in WNBA history...don't care who it is...and she would allow so many baskets on the other end, no coach in their right mind would play her.  It would be devastating.

Chris Paul, a PG, would run THROUGH Brittney Griner if she were to try and set a screen.  Imagine her setting one on LeBron, who just recently, tried to drive his shoulder into Boozer.

Maybe Griner could be a bench player in men's D1...but that's as far as I'm going.  She wouldn't find an ounce of success in the pros, and I would bet everything I own on that.  I've played ball with FAR too many talented players, both men and women, to know something like this.

#19 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:33 PM

By the way...Brittney Griner is 6-8, 207 pounds.

Kevin Durant is 6-9, 235 pounds.

LeBron is 6-8, 260.

The size, athleticism, strength...too much of a difference.  I would be scared for her.

#20 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:41 PM

no, just plain no. imagine her fighting for position with the likes of Marc Gasol, or trying to get a charge call on a freight train like LeBron. Okay, how about defending a post up play against Andre Miller. She won't survive at all. Imagine Metta defending her. Michael Jordan broke a couple of rib just being defended by Artest. Also, the only advantage of her playing outside of "marketability" is, she'd get a lot of hand check fouls. Hands will be all over her.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users