140 replies to this topic

#101 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Still though, you've gotta' wonder just how they could make such a ridiculous mistake. I mean that is beyond embarrassingly unprofessional. Whoever did it should probably be fired. Error of epic proportions if ya' ask me.

Cut them some slack man. I mean they really only have like a year to prepare for this so...

oh wait...

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

• 40,377 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:49 PM

:laughing: Exactly.

yo.

#103 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:50 PM

Don't give a [expletive] about how he feels.

Ok thats fine  but you are not coaching the lakers so nobody cares how you feel. I never like D antoni to coach our team eaither. I wanted Phil. But like it or not, Mike D is the coach and it would help a little if fans back this guy up for this playoff run for a bit. Sitting around crying about Phil and doing all this stuff is pointless and useless to me.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#104 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,336 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted April 03, 2013 - 01:52 PM

Ok thats fine  but you are not coaching the lakers so nobody cares how you feel. I never like D antoni to coach our team eaither. I wanted Phil. But like it or not, Mike D is the coach and it would help a little if fans back this guy up for this playoff run for a bit. Sitting around crying about Phil and doing all this stuff is pointless and useless to me.

Yep. We must support out own. Always.

veqdeg.jpg

#105 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:02 PM

Can Shaq still get his number retired by other teams? Right after his Miami championship, he said he wanted to retire his jersey with the Heat. 

• 40,377 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:07 PM

^ He was just speaking on pure adrenaline & emotion at that moment. He wouldn't mean that anymore.

yo.

#107 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Ok thats fine but you are not coaching the lakers so nobody cares how you feel. I never like D antoni to coach our team eaither. I wanted Phil. But like it or not, Mike D is the coach and it would help a little if fans back this guy up for this playoff run for a bit. Sitting around crying about Phil and doing all this stuff is pointless and useless to me.

You brought up D'Antoni which is why I said what I said. How fans feel about PJ has nothing to do with that failure of a coach; so when he actually accomplishes championships with this franchise is when what you said would matter. Until he wins, MDA can eat a dick.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#108 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,014 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:34 PM

Be honest, even if D'antoni won a ring with us you'd say it was all the players carrying him and ask for him to be fired anyway ;) admit it :)

Edited by Majesty, April 03, 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#109 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,027 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:36 PM

Be honest, even if D'antoni won a ring with us you'd say it was all the players carrying him and ask for him to be fired anyway ;) admit it :)

No team will win a ring not running an offense and foregoing implementing a defensive system. Irrelevant point lol. 

#110 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:43 PM

No team will win a ring not running an offense and foregoing implementing a defensive system. Irrelevant point lol.

Let's be honest, when you Lakers fans had Mike Brown what did you say?

He manages too much
He calls to many set plays
He needs to just let the players play, they're smart enough without him butting in
He analyzes too much
I hate his constant attempts to adjust! Just put the ball in (players) hands and sit back!
Get out of the way! Just let them play, they don't need you drawing up stuff!
Nash off-ball? Lolwut!? Just play PnR every time!!
Why is Kobe handling the ball!? We got Nash!
Wait Mike Brown insulted the Phoenix offense when Nash was at the helms saying "where were they?"? They won (this and that) shows how much he knows!so what if it never won a championship!? Nash didn't have Kobe! What an idiot! Fire him!

Alright you lost that coach.

Now you got D'antoni and what do we always hear?

Omg this guy doesn't manage enough!
A real coach wouldn't just sit back.
D'antoni doesn't make adjustments!
All D'antoni does is sit back and hope they know what they're doing
He coaches like he doesn't care, call a set play!!!!
All he does is put the ball in Kobe's hands and hope for the best!
Trying to run the Phoenix offense here is stupid! It didn't win a championship in Phoenix!! It's stupid to attempt it here!

Ya'll are freaking hilarious!

Edited by Majesty, April 03, 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#111 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,027 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 03, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Let's be honest, when you Lakers fans had Mike Brown what did you say?

He manages too much
He calls to many set plays
He needs to just let the players play, they're smart enough without him butting in
He analyzes too much
I hate his constant attempts to adjust! Just put the ball in (players) hands and sit back!
Get out of the way! Just let them play, they don't need you drawing up stuff!
Nash off-ball? Lolwut!? Just play PnR every time!!
Why is Kobe handling the ball!? We got Nash!
Wait Mike Brown insulted the Phoenix offense when Nash was at the helms saying "where were they?"? They won (this and that) shows how much he knows!so what if it never won a championship!? Nash didn't have Kobe! What an idiot! Fire him!

Alright you lost that coach.

Now you got D'antoni and what do we always hear?

Omg this guy doesn't manage enough!
A real coach wouldn't just sit back.
D'antoni doesn't make adjustments!
All D'antoni does is sit back and hope they know what they're doing
He coaches like he doesn't care, call a set play!!!!
All he does is put the ball in Kobe's hands and hope for the best!
Trying to run the Phoenix offense here is stupid! It didn't win a championship in Phoenix!! It's stupid to attempt it here!

Ya'll are freaking hilarious!

That's faulty logic. You're calling me inconsistent because I was upset at the coaching style of two below-average to at best mediocre coaches, and are basically pinning me to pick one of the two. That's not it way it works in the NBA and certainly isn't the way it should work for the greatest basketball franchise of all time. 

There's a difference between micromanaging the offense and not having an offense at all. The problem with the Princeton offense was that the learning curve was steep and as a result it wasn't producing in games. Instead Mike Brown forced them to keep playing tightly the system when it was costing the team wins. That's why under Bernie Bickerstaff they played so well, which is not the same style of play as D'Antoni. I had no issue with the Princeton itself, actually, just the way Mike Brown was coaching. See, it is a good idea to give a team with that much talent some degree of flexibility in their offense (which the Triangle, for example, would allow), but that doesn't mean running no offense at all. To your point about Nash, he can play both off ball and in the PnR. They're not mutually exclusive. That's what most people have been asking him to do this whole time. The problem is he's not being aggressive enough to warrant himself as a scoring threat, and that harms his play both off the ball and in the PnR (since teams can just collapse on Howard and Nash then kicks it out for an MWP brick). Also for a so called defensive coach, the Laker defense was pretty damn lousy. 

D'Antoni tried to force the 7 seconds or less offense on the team, and it backfired once Nash came back, since he isn't the player he once was and it was better to play through Kobe and have Nash stretch the floor. D'Antoni also isn't using Howard nearly as well as he could be, because he doesn't believe in posting up players and would rather play Jamison or Clark at the 5 instead, not to mention have Pau drift out to the 3 point line. 

There's a couple of things that summarize all of this.

1) Mike Brown is a pretty bad coach.

2) D'Antoni is also a pretty bad coach.

3) The Princeton offense is fine once you learn it. 

4) The Phoenix offense sucks.

5) The team is better off having Kobe be the primary facilitator, Howard posting up, and Nash being an off ball scoring threat.

6) The Lakers have played no defense all year.  

I've been pretty consistent with my feelings towards the Lakers play all season. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, April 03, 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#112 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 03:49 PM

That's faulty logic. You're calling me inconsistent because I was upset at the coaching style of two below-average to at best mediocre coaches, and are basically pinning me to pick one of the two. That's not it way it works in the NBA and certainly isn't the way it should work for the greatest basketball franchise of all time.

There's a difference between micromanaging the offense and not having an offense at all. The problem with the Princeton offense was that the learning curve was steep and as a result it wasn't producing in games. Instead Mike Brown forced them to keep playing tightly the system when it was costing the team wins. That's why under Bernie Bickerstaff they played so well, which is not the same style of play as D'Antoni. I had no issue with the Princeton itself, actually, just the way Mike Brown was coaching. See, it is a good idea to give a team with that much talent some degree of flexibility in their offense (which the Triangle, for example, would allow), but that doesn't mean running no offense at all. To your point about Nash, he can play both off ball and in the PnR. They're not mutually exclusive. That's what most people have been asking him to do this whole time. The problem is he's not being aggressive enough to warrant himself as a scoring threat, and that harms his play both off the ball and in the PnR (since teams can just collapse on Howard and Nash then kicks it out for an MWP brick). Also for a so called defensive coach, the Laker defense was pretty damn lousy.

D'Antoni tried to force the 7 seconds or less offense on the team, and it backfired once Nash came back, since he isn't the player he once was and it was better to play through Kobe and have Nash stretch the floor. D'Antoni also isn't using Howard nearly as well as he could be, because he doesn't believe in posting up players and would rather play Jamison or Clark at the 5 instead, not to mention have Pau drift out to the 3 point line.

There's a couple of things that summarize all of this.
1) Mike Brown is a pretty bad coach.
2) D'Antoni is also a pretty bad coach.
3) The Princeton offense is fine once you learn it.
4) The Phoenix offense sucks.
5) The team is better off having Kobe be the primary facilitator, Howard posting up, and Nash being an off ball scoring threat.
6) The Lakers have played no defense all year.

I've been pretty consistent with my feelings towards the Lakers play all season.

I was speaking more in general terms rather than solely you but lets play this game :)

In the brief time Mike Brown was coach(and through the "Bickerstaff" era) the Lakers were one of 3 teams that was top 10 in both offense and defense, our problem was as you said the learning curve which again wasn't given enough time and players were thinking too much.

Mike Brown and Kobe were talking about Mike taking back the reigns a little bit and allowing a little more freedom and micromanaging less. This is why he also bought Bernie in, to help him in that aspect as Bernie seems to know the balance.

Unfortunately he was let go of before we got a chance to see where it'd go.

However his ideas were what the team needed.

Nash off-ball
Triangle plays for Kobe and Pau
Occasional double-post

All those were what everyone would agree the team needed, he just micromanaged it a bit too much, and once again was gonna take the reigns off a bit(as Kobe has stated) very much like Bernie did. And we'd have stayed on our run and stayed defensively more sound than we are now.

But my main point is that a majority of the Lakers fans that moaned and complained about those things about Mike Brown, moan and complain about the opposite side of things with D'antoni.

It's like you got rid of a coach that "cares too much" for a coach that "doesn't care enough"

And in hindsight, a lot of what MB said was on the dot(the trouble with the Suns offense, why he should be off ball, why run triangle with Kobe and Pau) etc but people bashed it till they saw the alternative.

Which is why they now sprout the stuff they want which is the stuff they bashed months ago. If you get what im saying.

Thats why it was more a general term than a personal one towards you.

#113 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:04 PM

LA went from one extreme (offensive ineptitude) to another (defensive ineptitude). It's average vs average really. LA deserves exceptional or a coach with potential...not league rejects.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#114 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,206 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Lol @ Majesty still going to bat for Mike Brown. Give it a rest man. He sucks. So does Mike D.

#115 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 05:32 PM

mikebrowncoaching.gif

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#116 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Oh I wasn't going to bad for Brown.

I was just remarking how funny it was to me how Some Lakers fans were complaining about the thing he said and did and now months later are bashing D'antoni for not doing those things :P

Its amazing to me how months ago him bashing the phoenix system and saying nash should play off ball to kobe more got people in the forum in an uproar saying he was wrong, an idiot, and how we were misusing Nash and how our team didnt need set plays and how he just needs to sit back and let them work cause our team is "smart enough" to not need it.

And now months later are saying its precisely what we should do, and freely bashing the phoenix offense as well while bashing a coach saying he's just sitting back and needs to run set plays when months ago they said such things weren't needed and how the guy should be fired for attempting it.

The situational and transitional flip flopping astounds me sometimes thats all :)

#117 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 275 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 03, 2013 - 07:19 PM

I was thinking about this the other day and I thought it would be a cool distinction for Kobe when he finally gets to retire his number... When I look at Kobe's career he had 2 different phases, number 8 and when he changed his number to 24 (he said he felt like a rebirth in his career at the time) and when you think about it.. Kobes career as number 8 is HOF worthy alone IMO and for the lakers he helped bring the Lakers back at the beginning of the decade with three rings then just started to dominate the record books as his team slowly faded. Then number 24 is undoubtedly a HOF with rebuilding from the bottom with an MVP a couple of rings and Russells he was the face of the Lakers and is still going strong. My point is could there be a chance that Kobe gets BOTH of his numbers retired?

#118 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 03, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Haha I'd say Shaq committed himself to the game, his resume and longevity speaks for itself... We're talking 14 STRAIGHT years of averaging at least 20 points, he averaged at least 10 rebounds in every year except his 14th season and he averaged 9.2 rebounds that season... He's probably the only player to be ESSENTIAL to three different franchises going to the finals and put two of them on the map (Miami and Orlando). You could be a dominant player for stretches but his longevity is uncommon for a big man of his stature and this is while being the MAIN cog for his team for at least a decade.. He might've not been the MOST committed but I think his resume makes the notion that he didnt really commit himself silly

I truly don't know what Shaq "you" saw but 34 was always out of shape and getting hurt because of it, "I hurt my toe..." BS when kobes blood is all over the court. Major issue not dedicated, retired early due to lack of commitment. Lousy analyst, lol, congrats on the jersey but you are no angel brah.

#119 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Majesty is such a Phil hater.  Don't you dare insinuate that this team would be better with Phil.  He won't allow it.  

MDA makes $4 mil / year to do absolutely nothing.  I don't care about his feelings at all.  Ownership SHOULD hear it from the fans for this colossal mistake, and maybe if they hear it enough they'll relent and hire PJ this summer.  Stranger things have happened.

#120 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Jim Buss had it made like that

Considering he fired just about everybody in the front office, it probably WAS him trying to figure out Photoshop or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users