Photo

Is Kobe the greatest scorer to play the game?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 275 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 01, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Damn some of WIlts passes in that video was crazy, this dude messed around and decided to league the entire leage in assists. No other Non PG has done that, his skill is almost parallel to his otherwordly talents which what makes him so different

#62 lildvl10

lildvl10

Rookie

• 740 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted April 01, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Kobe and Wilt go hand in hand. And they are both greater than MJ.

i would have to respectfully disagree.. as much as i love kobe, mj is a lot better than kobe in all aspects of the game.. just my opinion..

#63 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 04:44 PM

i would have to respectfully disagree.. as much as i love kobe, mj is a lot better than kobe in all aspects of the game.. just my opinion..

not as a scorer. MJ has him as a passer, rebounder, defender but scoring is something kobe will always have on him and has on every perimeter player all time

Posted Image

#64 lildvl10

lildvl10

Rookie

• 740 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted April 01, 2013 - 04:51 PM

not as a scorer. MJ has him as a passer, rebounder, defender but scoring is something kobe will always have on him and has on every perimeter player all time

yeah, i see your point. i know were talking about here is scoring. but what about GOAT, how would you rank the three of them? just wondering

#65 Ace

Ace

Rookie

• 579 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Just throwing it out there.

Scoring titles:

MJ - 10x

Wilt - 7x

Kobe - 2x

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't. -Jerry Rice

• 40,377 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Does Kobe have the most complete offensive game/arsenal ever? Perhaps that'd be more straight to the point & accurate.

yo.

#67 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 01, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Just throwing it out there.

Scoring titles:

MJ - 10x

Wilt - 7x

Kobe - 2x

Right, but how many years did Jordan and Wilt play with a teammate that averaged 26+ PPG for 10 consecutive seasons?

Bryant had a season of 35 PPG.  There's no doubt in my mind that prime Kobe could have racked up at least 3-4 more scoring titles.  

Allen Iverson had four.  McGrady had as many as Kobe.  In 2003-04, T-Mac won his with 28 PPG...which could have easily been topped by Bryant, if he was alone in LA.

Let's just say that, immediately after the third ring (2002), Shaq was traded.  From 2003-2007, that's likely five scoring titles for Kobe.

That's why, when it's all said and done, you really have to go by how well a player can score from everywhere on the court...from the paint, free throw, three-point, in ISO, in P&R situations, etc.  Total points, scoring titles, individual games, PPG seasons...there are too many factors that favor each player.

#68 jackmode211

jackmode211

Rookie

• 439 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted April 02, 2013 - 12:44 AM

BTW Kobe coulda had the scoring title last year....he just woulda had to drop 38 on the kings last game of the season...but wanted to rest that ankle instead...

#69 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 07:32 AM

yeah, i see your point. i know were talking about here is scoring. but what about GOAT, how would you rank the three of them? just wondering

Michael ahead of kobe

kobe ahead of wilt. more rings, longer career, better scorer

Posted Image

#70 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Right, but how many years did Jordan and Wilt play with a teammate that averaged 26+ PPG for 10 consecutive seasons?

Bryant had a season of 35 PPG.  There's no doubt in my mind that prime Kobe could have racked up at least 3-4 more scoring titles.  

Allen Iverson had four.  McGrady had as many as Kobe.  In 2003-04, T-Mac won his with 28 PPG...which could have easily been topped by Bryant, if he was alone in LA.

Let's just say that, immediately after the third ring (2002), Shaq was traded.  From 2003-2007, that's likely five scoring titles for Kobe.

That's why, when it's all said and done, you really have to go by how well a player can score from everywhere on the court...from the paint, free throw, three-point, in ISO, in P&R situations, etc.  Total points, scoring titles, individual games, PPG seasons...there are too many factors that favor each player.

I also have no doubt that if shaq never came and a team was built around kobe from the start kobe would have hit 40ppg In a season anywhere from 2001-2005 and would have averaged 30ppg+ from 2001-2007

not to mention is numbers overall would have been huge, but probably less rings

Posted Image

#71 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,417 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 02, 2013 - 11:15 AM

I also have no doubt that if shaq never came and a team was built around kobe from the start kobe would have hit 40ppg In a season anywhere from 2001-2005 and would have averaged 30ppg+ from 2001-2007

Yea....hard to say with the rings part because of Kobe's will to win but he'd probably have 3 to 4 instead of 5

Edited by LakeShow805, April 02, 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#72 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 02, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Guess it depends on who he ends up with as a teammate.  What if Kobe had Duncan, instead of Shaq?  We know Duncan isn't the offensive player O'Neal was, but he's 5x the defensive player...and that duo could have produced rings with Kobe averaging 30 every year.

#73 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,681 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:37 PM

I kinda agree with you on here. I remember Derek Fisher telling reporting Kobe can avg 45ppg if he really wants to in 08 or 09.  

kobe has EVERYTHING in the books when it comes to offense. However I just feel like Wilt and MJ have more big scoring games than Kobe. But Kobe isnt far behind them. Just few meters away. 

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#74 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 03, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Its Kobe

You have to D him up from the time he crosses Half Court....not from the post.....not from the top of the circle.......not from the FT line...

But Fn Half Court

Or he kills you

It also irks me to hear commentators say... "that was a bad shot". WTF? It can't be a bad shot if you've been practicing, taking and hitting them for 17 years.

We've all watched Kobe just flat out score........... especially with bad wrists, bad hands, bad fingers, bad knees, bad shoulder, twisted fingers,......... he just practices another way to score in a night or two and puts up another 30 or more.

Almost every night I'm wowed at a shot he makes even though I've seen him make it a hundred times.

This year Kobe has kicked "father time's Ass" No one has done what he's done at 34....... And that's coming from someone who has  seen most of those greats play in person at the same stage of their careers

How he is not lauded as the greatest by all right now is beyond me

Maybe its because he's being compared to past players AND present players who have not reached his time in, which is kinda silly

We are watching Greatness and most don't know it OR want to admit it.

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#75 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,337 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 03, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I think Kareem should still be on the top. For now.  

Forget the effectiveness, Kareem was just an unstoppable force, who also dominated for four years in college. I mean, had Kareem gone straight to the NBA, he would have added a few more thousand points to his resume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users