Photo

Is Kobe the greatest scorer to play the game?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 31, 2013 - 11:48 AM

I've had this discussion here, and over at my place when I had a message board up, so many times...but putting it in an article feels better, not having to cycle through pages of posts.  Kind of eliminates the clutter in between.

la-sp-ln-kobe-bryant-is-game-time-decisi

When it comes to scoring buckets, there are only three players ahead of Kobe Bryant: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Karl Malone, and Michael Jordan.

On Saturday night, against the Sacramento Kings, Bryant slipped past Wilt Chamberlain’s 31,419-point mark, and currently sits fourth on that illustrious list of all-time dominant scorers.

The big question is, have we seen a better scorer than Kobe?

While all three above him proved to be more efficient scorers, it’s difficult to claim that those three legends could score as many ways as Bryant. Jordan eventually added three-point range to his jumper, but over a course of a single season, MJ was reluctant to take defended threes, and no backcourt player in NBA history has been defended as heavily as Bryant has (and before you give me the “hand-checking” excuse, please understand that zone defenses are designed to stop the superstar, and any scorer with no bias will tell you they are far tougher to play against). Malone had range for a power forward, and played pick and roll basketball with a top three point guard of all time (John Stockton) for the beef of his career. Kareem fed off of Showtime the last decade of his career, and he was a giant among smaller, less athletic players back in the 70s. You don’t believe that statement? When was the last time you saw a big man average 20 rebounds per game? How often did it occur before the 1980s?

The best part about a debate is speculation. How would a prime Kareem fare against a 350-pound Shaquille O’Neal during the 2000-02 dynasty? If Jordan had so much trouble against Gary Payton in the 1996 NBA Finals, despite being the MVP of the league and still putting up 30 points a night, what would his performances look like against a 2008 Boston Celtics team that featured Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, James Posey, and Kendrick Perkins as defensive players?

Read the full article here: http://www.discussho...-surpasses-wilt

If you guys like the article, please share it on Facebook and Twitter (you'll see share buttons sitting at the bottom of the write-up). It helps a lot. :)

As a fan of the game in general, there would be nothing I want more than to be able to have these "dream match-ups" between players. It would absolutely ruin any debates we could ever have, but still, incredible to see.

#2 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,660 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 31, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Aww man you're forcing us to click that link :P

#3 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,078 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Kobe and Wilt go hand in hand. And they are both greater than MJ.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted March 31, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Aww man you're forcing us to click that link :P

Haha, technically, we could get in trouble posting full articles, even if we include the link. I was warned by ESPN and Yahoo, both, in the first three years of my site's message board.

Of course, it's my blog and article, but I'm just used to it. I posted post game articles for almost every single NBA game, daily, lol...so it's definitely a habit.

#5 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 686 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted March 31, 2013 - 01:17 PM

lol I'm so used to linking my friends to your analysis posts from this site (and that's been happening a lot this season, what with Pringles making my life sad, haha). But no problem in linking your actual blog. More hits for you, RD!

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#6 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,665 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted March 31, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I disagree with you Real Deal. Kobe is 3rd all time when it comes to scoring.  Wilt is number 1. Jordan is 2. 

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#7 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,489 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted March 31, 2013 - 01:58 PM

I disagree with you Real Deal. Kobe is 3rd all time when it comes to scoring.  Wilt is number 1. Jordan is 2. 

i would agree with carpe on this one

as much of a kobe fan i am i still think jordan was the better scorer in the sg class. Wilt was just on a diff level he was just a beast

Posted Image

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,018 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 31, 2013 - 02:10 PM

Nice article. I agree that Kobe is the greatest scorer of all time. Nobody else in NBA history has had the array of offensive moves that he has and can score from anywhere on the floor like Kobe. I personally would go as far as to say Kobe is the most skilled player we've ever seen, I think Jordan's accomplishments and more consistent defense gives him the edge as the GOAT though. 

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,331 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 31, 2013 - 02:23 PM

How do you come up with that? Just wondering.  

IMO, I don't include Wilt in many discussions because his stats are absurd.  

In his first  6 seasons, he averaged:

37.6 ppg on 32 fga

38.4 ppg on 31 fga

50.4 ppg on 39 fga

44.8 ppg on 34 fga

34.7 ppg on 28 fga 

38.9 ppg on 33 fga

Give any prominent scorer that many shot attempts per game and they'll score a lot of points.  The game is different then what it was when Wilt played.  It wasn't until Wilt's 8th season that the league expanded to 10 teams. 

Despite all that, Kobe surpassed Wilt. Personally, when you talk about scorers, it comes down to Jordan and Kobe.

#10 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,251 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted March 31, 2013 - 02:25 PM

I believe Kobe is the greatest scorer we have ever seen

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#11 Mumford

Mumford

Rookie

• 167 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 02:27 PM

1. Jordan

2. Kobe

3. Chamberlain

#12 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,665 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted March 31, 2013 - 04:17 PM

How do you come up with that? Just wondering.  

IMO, I don't include Wilt in many discussions because his stats are absurd.  

In his first  6 seasons, he averaged:

37.6 ppg on 32 fga

38.4 ppg on 31 fga

50.4 ppg on 39 fga

44.8 ppg on 34 fga

34.7 ppg on 28 fga 

38.9 ppg on 33 fga

Give any prominent scorer that many shot attempts per game and they'll score a lot of points.  The game is different then what it was when Wilt played.  It wasn't until Wilt's 8th season that the league expanded to 10 teams. 

Despite all that, Kobe surpassed Wilt. Personally, when you talk about scorers, it comes down to jordan and Kobe.

You gotta respect where its due. Doesnt matter who he faced or what era it was. 

Just read that

http://bleacherrepor...k-era<br><br> j

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

• 40,364 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Haha, technically, we could get in trouble posting full articles, even if we include the link. I was warned by ESPN and Yahoo, both, in the first three years of my site's message board.

I'm almost always aware of this, which is why in most of mine I usually post FULL ARTICLE inside link at the bottom.

Kobe does have the most complete offensive arsenal/game in the history of the league, even more than MJ imo, however, it is sorta unfair to some degree when you consider just how much Kobe took from MJ's game following him after. That being said, facts are facts and it's clear no one in the history of the league has demonstrated as many different ways to score the ball than Kobe Bryant over the course of his career.

Edited by    , March 31, 2013 - 04:39 PM.

yo.

#14 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted March 31, 2013 - 04:46 PM

IMO Yes Kobe is the greatest scorer of all time.
htCCl0m.png

#15 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,194 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted March 31, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Nice article. I agree that Kobe is the greatest scorer of all time. Nobody else in NBA history has had the array of offensive moves that he has and can score from anywhere on the floor like Kobe. I personally would go as far as to say Kobe is the most skilled player we've ever seen, I think Jordan's accomplishments and more consistent defense gives him the edge as the GOAT though.

Agree

#16 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,501 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 31, 2013 - 05:55 PM

IMO Kobe is definitely the best scorer to ever the play the game.  Overall it will always be an arguable debate for the greatest of all time between him and MJ.

The reasons why I I believe Kobe is simply the greatest is because:

- Practically mastered every move Jordan had and perfected it.

- The killer mentality that no other player except maybe MJ holds.

- Worked even harder later in his career to evolve his game. (footwork, lowpost, and back towards the basket)

Primarily the adjustments and different types of playing styles Kobe is capable of adapting to throughout his career is something I've never witnessed any player achieve and for that reason he is atop my list as the greatest scorer.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#17 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,274 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted March 31, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Kobe does have the most complete offensive arsenal/game in the history of the league, even more than MJ imo, however, it is sorta unfair to some degree when you consider just how much Kobe took from MJ's game following him after. That being said, facts are facts and it's clear no one in the history of the league has demonstrated as many different ways to score the ball than Kobe Bryant over the course of his career.

completly agree, kobe had a great teacher

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#18 jackmode211

jackmode211

Rookie

• 439 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Kobe is undoubtably the greatest offensive player to ever lace em up...

#19 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,012 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Of course, it's my blog and article, but I'm just used to it. I posted post game articles for almost every single NBA game, daily, lol...so it's definitely a habit.

Wow, seriously? If we post the link, and giving them credit, why would they still be mad? Does this rule still apply?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#20 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 686 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted March 31, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Rookie Kobe: padawan.

Early 2000's Kobe: apprentice.

Mid 2000's Kobe: knight.

Late 2000's - present: master.

Edited by Anautikus, March 31, 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users