Photo

My article on Clippers Topbuzz (Clippers vs Lakers)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted October 29, 2008 - 11:57 PM

I just want to start out by saying I respect the Lakers, I was at the game and I enjoyed it even if my Clippers lost. I'm very optimistic about my team however, and this doesn't phase me. This is the Clippers' wake up call.

I just want to let you guys know, Clippers' Topbuzz is FULL of Laker haters. Tonight, they were all awestruck and filled with respect for the Lakers, and gave them the credit that they deserve. I ask you to give the Clippers some credit too, and give them some time. They will learn how to win... Soon.

Have Faith Clipper Nation!!
Post game reaction by TheCalmInsanity

After seeing the game live, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I WAS SATISFIED.

Yes, you're reading correctly. I said "satisfied" without the "dis". Call me optimistic, but I may be seeing things that you guys haven't, so READ ON!

I'm going to keep this as unbiased and analystic as possible. First of all, let's give some credit to our cotenants for playing a good game as a great team. =Phew= That being said, I'm just letting you know we weren't dealing with chumps here.

The motto of the Clippers this year should really be "Trial and Error". Because that's really what the Clippers have to go through to make it on the playoff train. Clippers have to learn the hard way how to win, whether it be the players learning about the other players, or the coach learning about the players.

Remember when we were up 33-32 in this game? And Dunleavy subbed out Thornton AND Baron? Lakers went on a 19-0 run. You think Dunleavy will make that mistake again? Dunleavy needs to learn which players click together. Just like the Lakers know how Farmar and Ariza have good chemistry. Dunleavy will have to learn which set of 5 guys can't score. Some of the lineups he put in this game had difficulties scoring, so next time he'll remember to stick Al Thornton or someone else in that lineup to get the juices flowing.

Baron said that the biggest problem is going to be learning where each player likes to get the ball. Where each players' hot spot is. Just look at the Lakers- How many alley oops and stuff they're throwing. You think Al Thornton, Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, DeAndre Jordan, Tim Thomas, and Camby can't recieve alley oops? Of course they can. But they need teammates who know exactly where they like to catch the ball. Right now the Baron to Al passes are magnificent because Baron is a great passer, and Al is a great finisher. But when they get to know each other's strengths, they're going to throw unstoppable alley oops and passes to each other. Right now the only reason they're making it work is because they're both individually so talented. Look at Chris Paul and Tyson Chandler, after getting to know each other's games they're the best 1 2 alley oop punch in the league.

Marcus Camby. Bigger impacter than you might think.

As Clipper fans, I know you deal with Clipper haters. I've gotten all the same responses you have such as "Oh well if Camby was so good, Gasol wouldn't have beasted him in the playoffs last year" or "Camby isn't good enough to make the difference of 38 points". Here's my response.

1. "Oh well if Camby was so good, Gasol wouldn't have beasted him in the playoffs last year".

We all know how hard it is to play 2 on 1. Gasol and Odom vs Camby? That sounds unfair. Especially if you make it 5 on 1, because none of the Nuggets played defense. So if you think about it, who's the one that has to slide over every time Kobe crosses Allen Iverson or Carmelo Anthony? Who's the one that has to cover Gasol, while also making sure Lamar Odom doesn't get shots down low? Isn't that a pretty hard job? Camby's stats last year were amazing. Kaman's stats last year were amazing. They both got beasted during games though. Do you realize why? They had the same problem, they were the only down low defenders on the team, and every game it was 2 vs 1. Whether it's Duncan and Thomas, whether it's Gasol and Odom, or Shaq and Amare, it's always going to be hard being the lone center.

2. "Camby isn't good enough to make up the difference of 38 points".

Camby brings alot more than scoring to the table. Good defense leads to good offense. A blocked shot by Camby can result in a fast break that leads to scoring. Camby didn't get the points, but he did an intangible thing. Another thing is his defense will change the whole Laker offense, and they would have to try to score around Camby, changing their whole game plan. And if Clippers keep the game close, they would be more motivated to play better defense and score better than if they were down by 38, don't you think? Veteran leadership is another thing Camby brings. He's great with help defense and talking to players on the court. He can tell someone to settle down, or dictate the defense. Only until we see Camby play on our team can we truly see the presence of the runner up Defensive Player of the Year.

Why we lost
1. Coaching decisions

2. Lack of offensive cohesion. Lakers played good defense, but Clippers offense was really out of line when Baron wasn't in. Even then, it was still out of line but Baron always finds a way to make it work. Again, this will all be better during the season, when players learn each other's tendencies (how they cut, how quick each player is, how high they can jump, where their hot spots are on the court).

3. Lack of interior defense. Clippers couldn't play defense down low. No Camby- enough said. Skinner had a great day defensively because he was the only one that showed up down low. If you though Skinner's shot blocking was refreshing, wait till you see Camby.

Positives we can get from this game

1. Coaching problem is not a big problem, not something that I blame Dunleavy for. Dunleavy still has to learn exactly when to sub, who to sub, and how to run each lineup's offense with trial and error of course. This game brought us one step closer, maybe it is that one step we needed, who knows.

2. Players learning each other's tendencies, and most of all, in this game, players learned each other's weaknesses. That's the hardest one to learn, because the only way to learn about a players weaknesses is through failure. So at least we got that out of our system.

3. Look at Al Thornton's game tonight. If this was last year, this would have probably been a 6 point, 2 for 15 shooting night from Al. His outside shot was giving him no love, and he wasn't getting to the free throw line often. But the awesome part of having Baron Davis is that even on a horrible game from Al Thornton, he manages to get 16 points. The points that Thornton got, were from Baron creating. Last year, Thornton had to create all his shots for himself. He can still do that this year, and tried it this game. His shot was just a bit off. Now- imagine if the shots he create for himself are going in, AND Baron Davis is creating for him? Al could have scored 30 easily this game if his jumper was going in. I think that's going to be very easy for him this season.

4. Just wait till Camby is in our starting lineup!

Conclusion

Clippers are a beautiful puzzle. The only thing is, all their pieces are all over the floor. Someone needs to put them together, and make the big picture. Whether that happens after a single blowout like this, or after a week, I'll take it. We just need some time to figure out the formula for success and winning, and which lineups work and which don't. We'll learn exactly which lineups will be good to match up with certain teams after we try each one out and see how it is (Trial and Error of course). And while the first few experiments might blow up on our face, the potion we make at the end can cure cancer (Clippers' playoff cancer at least). :clap:

I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#2 !PAUER!

!PAUER!

Rookie

• 317 posts

Posted October 30, 2008 - 12:34 AM

I really liked what I saw from the Clippers in the beginning but it was clear that Camby was the missing piece.

I think they will be alot better after a full year together. At least now I will consider going to the LA/LA games.

#3 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted October 30, 2008 - 12:49 AM

Not to take anything away from the Lakers. I felt the Clippers brought the potential in the beginning of the game, but just the fact that Dunleavy didn't know that subbing Al Thornton and Baron Davis would lead to a 19-0 run.

Mistakes like that are the only reason we'll learn, and I'm glad I got it out of my system.

All things said, Lakers look amazing, it seems their second unit can battle many teams' first unit. I think Clippers will be fine after their first win, hopefully this Friday against a Carmelo Anthony-less Denver. They just need to learn the hard way.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#4 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 30, 2008 - 08:32 AM

I would put the blame on being Camby-less. But another rematch in a couple of days, let's see how it goes.

#5 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted October 30, 2008 - 09:16 AM

I really can't wait, the rematch will be awesome.

Clippers will have 1 full week of learning rotations/player tendencies, will have a few games to redeem themselves, Baron and Camby will also be at full strength.

Don't forget, Baron played the first 15 minutes... and coincidentally enough the first 15 minutes were very competitive. Dunleavy subbed him out for injury reasons, I found out, and put him back way later in the game (along with Kaman) just to regain some confidence. The last thing those players want to do is sit on the bench and watch a blowout. At least playing against the other team's scrubs is a little more fun for them.

I don't expect Baron to get full minutes this Friday against Denver either, because they don't even have Carmelo Anthony. This should be a test and Clippers will hopefully redeem themselves.

#6 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 30, 2008 - 09:44 AM

Thornton is a freak of an athlete

I can see him putting up Melo like numbers soon.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#7 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 30, 2008 - 10:36 AM

Sorry Insanity, but again this Clipper team is cobbled together of pieces that will not fit. There's too many "me first" attitudes on this team and the depth is non-existent. Their defense was absolutely pitiful too.

Baron was holding the ball an average of 8 seconds before he even passed it in half court sets, Kaman looked disastrous and there was no flow to the substitutions at all. not to mention a complete lack of motivation once they got down the second time.

IF Dunleavy gets this collage of NBA cast-offs together, it will be too late to make the playoffs.

They're the #9 seed at best.

#8 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted October 30, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Sorry Fido but I would have to disagree. Chemistry isn't an overnight thing, they're going to have to work it out. And in the beginning of the game, they were keeping up with the Lakers. Why? Cause Baron was playing. And if you can keep up with a team like the Lakers you can keep up with the rest of the league. The only thing is Baron needs to be healthy so he can play the whole game instead of sit out until the game is out of line.

And sure Baron Davis was holding the ball for 8 seconds sometimes, but the only wrong thing I saw Baron do was chuck up some ill advised 3's. That's about it. His other decision making was great, his defense was great. He plays with alot of heart and the only thing you can do for Baron is love and respect him.

Another thing is the Laker defense is also a part of the coaggulated offense of the Clippers that you saw.

They'll shape up. This is their first ever season game, with 10 new faces on the team. Dunleavy needs to see which lineups work and which ones don't. Phil knows exactly which lineups to play when. When the Lakers are lacking on defense, he knows which 5 players he can put in the game to fix that. Dunleavy needs to experiment and find out the hard way for everything that Phil Jackson already knows for his team.

#9 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted October 30, 2008 - 01:33 PM

Nice article. I thought the Clippers looked good out there on certain stretches throughout the game. Obviously, they still have to learn about themselves but they can be a pretty decent team that could possibly even make a run in the playoffs.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#10 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 30, 2008 - 05:11 PM

Well let me say first that I like the makeup of your team, you have a very good starting frontcourt and backcourt, and your bench isn't that great but its decent. I think they can be a warriors-esque type run-n-gun type team which IMO thats what Baron wants, he needs to know where his shooters are, who can handle the rock and take it to the basket, and also what he can get from his bigs because Baron is an elite PG in this league when healthy. The Denver Nuggets and the Warriors are somewhat of an outkast/non-meshing type team and they are fairly decent in the competative west. The Clippers are basically a brand new team and may take time to learn how to play together, and that's where the problem lies, I think by the time they gel together it will be around all-star break and may only be able to get to the 7th seed at best imo.
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#11 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 31, 2008 - 09:47 PM

tough loss tonight

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 01, 2008 - 01:23 AM

Again... by the time Dunleavy figures out (if he does at all with the egos and fragile health track record of these guys) it will be too late for them to make the playoffs.

If they can't withstand even one game against a weak team like Denver without Baron, they're in big trouble. We all know that teams that abse their success on the game of one guy don't go very far.

#13 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 04, 2008 - 08:43 AM

They are the Clippers, they are perennial losers... Plus Camby's D is overrated... he can collect blocks and grab some steals... but he won't lockdown anyone...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users