#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,145 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 22, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Mike D'antoni usually the smiling joking type with the media held no punches tonight, tearing into his team in twenty different ways past Sunday in what might go down as one of the best post game blow ups by a Coach in recent memory,

I think this tweet says it best

Kamenetzky Brothers @KamBrothers2h
RT @NicJongeling: Dantoni is close to being a Coors Light commercial.

Let's see shall we?

Mike D'Antoni's furious postgame quotes, Part I

Man alive, was the Lakers' head coach pissed off after a pathetic 103-100 to the Wizards!!! Here's just a sample of the rant.

"What happened was we didn't play hard enough. We think we can just figure things out and just point. I mean, Trevor Ariza's got 12 attempts at 3 and he's wide open. That's inexcusable and it's just a matter of lapses or gambling or 'I'm not gonna play hard tonight because we're just gonna outscore them.' That's why we dug ourselves a hole first here, and now we're digging it again... We'll talk about it and we'll try to change it around, but we gotta have some effort out there. Mental effort mostly."

On how much it bothers him that effort is an issue at this point in the season

"A lot. There's no explanation for it. I don't know. I can't explain it, but every time we get up 16, it's like, 'Oh, we're really good and we don't have to play hard.' And we start messing with the game. You start messing with not moving the ball. You start messing with 'I'm just gonna go 1-on-1 every time.' You start messing with the basketball Gods and they get you. That ball will roll around and go in for them and it'll roll around and go out for us, because we're messing with the game.

"And if we don't change that, well, obviously we won't make the playoffs. But even if we do, then we'll get blown out in the playoffs. You can't be a fairly good team without passing the basketball and without understanding what we're doing defensively and honing in and doing it. You can't do it. You can't do it. It's impossible."

On whether he's dealt with this situation before as a coach:

"Well, no. Most of the time, it's just bad teams and they can't do it. This is a good team that just for whatever can't collectively, mentally, get stimulated to do it every time. And I told them in (the locker room), we put our hands in (the huddle), and you've guys have probably seen it, we say 'Championship!" and go out there. And that's laughable. Championship? You gotta be kidding me.

"Until they understand the importance of every possession offensively and defensively, and every time, they gotta come out with some kind of determination to be a good basketball team, then we're just fooling ourselves. And right now, that's what we're doing. We're making sham-mockery of it, or whatever that is."

More quotes to come (and all courtesy of Time Warner Cable SportsNet's postgame coverage).

#messingwiththegame. I'll wait on the meme.

But he has a point. Here's part 2.

Posting it in a second.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 11:21 PM

Part 2

Mike D'Antoni's furious postgame quotes, Part II

The Lakers coach was not a happy camper after an inexcusable 103-100 loss to the Wizards. I already transcribed a large chunk of the rant (and ICYMI, click here: http://sulia.com/chann...). Here's the remaining bit of what was shown during Time Warner Cable SportsNet's postgame coverage:

On whether this loss will light a fire under the team and cure the complacency issue:

"Yeah, that's a good question. Give me about a million bucks on that question. I don't know. I have no idea. It's happened 85 times so you would think sooner or later they'll get the message. But no, no. Just as soon as we get a little bit, like, a 16-point lead or, "Oh, we're ahead one game of Utah. Now it's a breeze. Everybody says we're in the playoffs. We're one game ahead.' Well, guess what? We're still one game ahead.

"You can't mess with the game as you can't mess with the season as you can't mess with the schedule. You gotta go out and you gotta beat Phoenix. You gotta beat Atlanta. You gotta beat these teams. You gotta come ready to play. We don't all the time. And we might come ready, but by halftime, it might be gone. Or we might come out at halftime and be okay, but then the fourth quarter, it's gone. Somewhere, somebody's gonna have to say, 'Enough's enough and let's play! Every possession!'

"But no, we don't. We don't."

Is this a matter of defense rather than offense?

"No. It's all tied together. It has nothing to do with defense or offense. It has to do with how we approach the game mentally, how we're playing the game, and are we a team or not? Are we gonna play hard on every possession or not? And that's something we're gonna have to learn real quick from now until Monday. Because we go on the road. We've got four games in the row that one's more important than the other. All of them. We've got to win them all. And hopefully, we can change it around. They can surprise me, no doubt about it. Because they have it. They just gotta turn it on."

Awesome blowup.

Let's hear it.

http://landolakers.c...n-lakers-audio/

Enjoy.

Very true very very true. There's other issues as well but its nice to see him be critical of the team. There's other problems that need fixing but he seems to be pissed about effort. Thought it was interesting.

#3 Ace

Ace

Rookie

• 587 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 22, 2013 - 11:42 PM

MDA can rant all he wants but the team isn't listening to him anyways.

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't. -Jerry Rice

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 11:48 PM

You really gotta "hear" the rant to appreciate it.

But he has a point. Whenever the team gets a huge lead they seem to take their foot off the gas.

Honestly this has been a problem for the Lakers since 2010. But at this point we can't afford it to happen.

The first half and the second half are great examples of what's good and what's bad about the team.

Never heard D'antoni so upset though, it sounded like he assaulted the desk in front of him :P

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 22, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Maybe if the team's poor defense upsets you, you should change rotations or maybe install a defensive system? 

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 11:54 PM

Oh now he tears into the team?

Sorry, I know he's trying to act like a coach now, but I can't take someone seriously as a "coach" who wants to make everything about "playing hard".

It's more than that. A lot more. You have to COACH

#7 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted March 22, 2013 - 11:56 PM

You really gotta "hear" the rant to appreciate it.

But he has a point. Whenever the team gets a huge lead they seem to take their foot off the gas.

Honestly this has been a problem for the Lakers since 2010. But at this point we can't afford it to happen.

The first half and the second half are great examples of what's good and what's bad about the team.

Never heard D'antoni so upset though, it sounded like he assaulted the desk in front of him :P

It was a problem during our last two championship runs in 2009 and 2010 as well lol

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:01 AM

It was a problem during our last two championship runs in 2009 and 2010 as well lol

Like Kobe said "we were playing with fire, and we eventually got what we deserved(when we were swept by Dallas)"

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Oh now he tears into the team?

Sorry, I know he's trying to act like a coach now, but I can't take someone seriously as a "coach" who wants to make everything about "playing hard".

It's more than that. A lot more. You have to COACH

Yes but at the same time its just like Bernie said "the last thing we should ever "have" to coach is "effort".".

Kobe's response

Kobe Bryant @kobebryant2m
When ur game takes a [expletive] . Flush it. Get up and move on #mambaism

Edited by Majesty, March 23, 2013 - 12:08 AM.

• 40,404 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Yes but at the same time its just like Bernie said "the last thing we should ever "have" to coach is "effort".".

So damn true. Sorry I'm out of likes yet again.

yo.

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:21 AM

So damn true. Sorry I'm out of likes yet again.

Its alright. Really hate that this happened cause my mom is such a huge Laker fan had a rough day today and a victory would have really ended her night well.

When I told her the Lakers were winning by so much she was so happy.

So having to tell her later that they lost and hearing her heart breaking voice go "they lost?" And then watching her go to bed in disbelief and sadness was the worst feeling in the world. Can't even show her the highlights on youtube with my phone cause we lost and she'd be sad from them. And we had some really good ones too :( oh well.

So im really glad D'antoni tore into this team, if he didn't I'd have flown out to LA to do it myself with a loudspeaker in front of their hotel. lol

#12 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:34 AM

MDA is absolutely right.

Inb4 people give MDA crap for being MDA and not Phil.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#13 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 778 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:39 AM

Its alright. Really hate that this happened cause my mom is such a huge Laker fan had a rough day today and a victory would have really ended her night well.

When I told her the Lakers were winning by so much she was so happy.

So having to tell her later that they lost and hearing her heart breaking voice go "they lost?" And then watching her go to bed in disbelief and sadness was the worst feeling in the world. Can't even show her the highlights on youtube with my phone cause we lost and she'd be sad from them. And we had some really good ones too :( oh well.

So im really glad D'antoni tore into this team, if he didn't I'd have flown out to LA to do it myself with a loudspeaker in front of their hotel. lol

Ha! Also my dad's birthday. We had a gathering, Lakers were leading by a lot, we grabbed some food and when we got back to watching the game all the momentum went to the wizards. We lost our appetite after that.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:01 AM

Ha! Also my dad's birthday. We had a gathering, Lakers were leading by a lot, we grabbed some food and when we got back to watching the game all the momentum went to the wizards. We lost our appetite after that.

Yeah, I know exactly how that feels.

It's just games like this and my mom keeps track of the team more than I even do, she knew the Jazz lost, so eventhough her day was bad if the Lakers win, put the Jazz in their rearview, she gets a great cap on her day. So when she came up so happily asking "So did they win?" And the answer had to be "No, they lost." No worse feeling. She has a passion for the game, it runs in the family :)

By the way Happy Birthday to your dad!!

Edited by Majesty, March 23, 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#15 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:24 AM

When the team wins with exact same tactic, it's "D'Antoni is a clown, [expletive] MDA, [expletive] Nash. Hurray! Kobe!!!", when the same team blows up a 18 pt lead, and lose the game, it's "he can't coach, MDA is the problem."

[expletive] you guys.

He's absolutely right. You can see the difference between two halves. If you don't respect your opponent, they will come back to bite your ass. That is well documented in pro sports. It is exactly what happened tonight. Names don't win championships. Grit and hardwork does. I don't know about you but I'm sick of hearing "too many blown up assignments" "didn't rotate" "missed easy layups" "turned the ball over" etc. as excuses. In every single loss. What the [expletive] is your job? You do that one game, two game, but you should [expletive]ing correct your mistakes in the next one. Every game, every single game, we are playing sloppy basketball. D'Antoni can preach  them all he wants to, it won't make damn difference if players don't execute it. I literally facepalm'd when MWP drived into the lane and got offensive foul late in the game. Kobe, same. Too much dribbling and holding on to the ball. For this game, I don't blame Howard, Jamison and Meeks. They did their jobs. Maybe the only ones. How hard is it to play a game like they played against Pacers when they had 4 days off? It's ridiculous.

/rant

Edited by Tensai, March 23, 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#16 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,350 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:57 AM

Dantoni is right

we always got backup leads about 18-20 pts and then we think we got this solved and we find ourselvesi n a [expletive]ing hole!!!

THIS IS NOT A CHAMPIONHIP CALIBAR TEAM IF WE ARE ACTING ALL THE TIME LIKE THAT!!!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#17 ALL CAPS

ALL CAPS

Rookie

• 129 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted March 23, 2013 - 02:05 AM

gained some respect for MDA for this rant because hes right and i feel his frustration 

#18 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 688 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted March 23, 2013 - 02:18 AM

IIRC, didn't he decide to throw out a 3 guard line up at one point at the end of the third, with Pau acting as anchor, and Jamison to round it all out? Now that was a sight to behold on defense, watching Wash score at will.

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#19 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 23, 2013 - 05:04 AM

I believe MDT was spot on and that his public outcry putting the Lakers lack of effort, heart and intensity on blast will break through the walls of our egotist players much more than a private coaching session would.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#20 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted March 23, 2013 - 05:46 AM

this is funny, he usually rely on kobe, I remember he used to say "just give the ball to kobe" now he's blaming kobe for no ball movement at the end. lol

33bkfif.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users