Photo

Kobe & Pau in Starting Lineup Tonight

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

• 38,578 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 02:14 PM

http://espn.go.com/l...g-lineup-friday

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Both Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol will be back in the starting lineup when the Los Angeles Lakers host the Washington Wizards on Friday.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni had toyed with the idea of bringing Gasol off the bench as he rounds himself back into shape after being out since Feb. 5 with a torn plantar fascia in his right foot but said after shootaround Friday that the four-time All-Star would play with the first unit.

"The reason being he'll warm up. He feels better when he gets warmed up and gets going instead of sitting over there for about 10-20 minutes and then playing," D'Antoni said. "He's more comfortable that way, and that's what we're going to end up anyway, so we might as well go ahead."

D'Antoni said Gasol would be limited as he gets his "wind and legs" back but said there would be no restrictions on Bryant as he returns to the lineup after missing the last two games with a severely sprained left ankle.

The return of Gasol and Bryant, coupled with Steve Blake recovering from the flu, means that Friday's matchup with the Wizards will be just the third game all season the Lakers' core group of those three players along with Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Metta World Peace have been healthy enough to suit up and

play together.

"It's good to have [Gasol] back," said Howard after shootaround. "When he was out, it was tough for guys like Earl [Clark] and Antawn [Jamison] to really defend in the paint because they're usually good perimeter defenders. So having another guy back there is going to be good for the team. Now those guys get to go back to their normal positions and do what they do best.

"It's going to be great. I'm looking forward to it. I know Pau is trying to get into better shape. So, especially on the defensive end, I got to do a really good job of helping him out until he gets his legs back, and we'll go from there."

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:THE BLACK MAMBA

Posted March 22, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Everything in it's right place.

• 38,578 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 02:29 PM

^ Although I disagree about Pau helping us most in the starting lineup as opposed to coming off the bench, I only liked your post because of its awesome Radiohead reference.

yo.

#4 Roidz

Roidz

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB, L.O., Dwight, Glen Rice

Posted March 22, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Antawn usually a good perimeter defender?? Lol

Edited by Roidz, March 22, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." -Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted Image

#5 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 02:52 PM

In honor of Pau's return, and in response to the haters and fair-weather fans:

#6 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,340 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 22, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Fairwhether fans? It took people two years to realize Pau isn't 2009-2010 Pau anympore and some still hold on to it.

Anyway Im guessing D'antoni's mentality is to play Dwight and Pau to start the game in limited minutes, sitting Pau before the halfway mark and bringing in Clark at the 3 and moving Metta to the 4. And then starting the 2nd quarter with our bench lineup and then playing it like he did when Pau was coming off the bench with minutes from there.

We'll see how it goes.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#7 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Ugh.

• 7,918 posts
  • Name:Hello, My Baby!
  • Fan Since:Hello, My Darlin'!
  • Fav. Laker:Hello, My Ragtime Gal!

Posted March 22, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Gasol in the starting line up!?

That tears it, 33 pts, 13 rebs, 0 asts, and 2 blks.

Make it happen, Gasol!

Edited by Hey, March 22, 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Trade for Austin Rivers, say, Hill & Johnson. 

#8 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Fairwhether fans? It took people two years to realize Pau isn't 2009-2010 Pau anympore and some still hold on to it.

Anyway Im guessing D'antoni's mentality is to play Dwight and Pau to start the game in limited minutes, sitting Pau before the halfway mark and bringing in Clark at the 3 and moving Metta to the 4. And then starting the 2nd quarter with our bench lineup and then playing it like he did when Pau was coming off the bench with minutes from there.

We'll see how it goes.

This is exactly what I expect to happen. Pau probably sits at the seven minute mark.

As far as Pau goes, he didn't look to far from 2009 Pau in the Olympics... if he isn't there anymore it's because of injury and poor coaching decisions, not because of age.

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,920 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:10 PM

"The Season Starts Tonight"

Edited by LakersGAFan, March 22, 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#10 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,257 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 22, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Lets go Pau!

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#11 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 390 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 23, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Lets go Pau!

And so he goes...

#12 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 23, 2013 - 06:53 AM

In honor of Pau's return, and in response to the haters and fair-weather fans:

fairweather or honest fans?

how Pau do for your memory yesterday?

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#13 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 11:56 AM

fairweather or honest fans?

how Pau do for your memory yesterday?

He only played 20 minutes and is obviously not in shape yet. We lost to the Wizards when Gasol was on the bench. For the record, it's not like his +/- was any different than the rest of the starters.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,340 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:01 PM

When Pau was on the bench? Obviously you missed how we had an 11 point swing from up 9 to down 2 when he was in for 5 minutes in the 2nd half.

#15 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:25 PM

When Pau was on the bench? Obviously you missed how we had an 11 point swing from up 9 to down 2 when he was in for 5 minutes in the 2nd half.

If we're not good enough to come back from being down by 2 in the 4th QT at home against the Wizards, it's all over. We has a chance to win the game with 6 minutes left in the 4th (with Pau on the bench) and couldn't get it done. That's what happened last night, and that's all that needs to be said.

#16 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

• 5,257 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:49 PM

If we're not good enough to come back from being down by 2 in the 4th QT at home against the Wizards, it's all over. We has a chance to win the game with 6 minutes left in the 4th (with Pau on the bench) and couldn't get it done. That's what happened last night, and that's all that needs to be said.

Basketball is a game of momentum. Had they not gone on that 18-7 run we would have won the game by at least 10 points, and the Wizards would not have taken the lead at ANY point in the third or fourth quarter.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#17 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Basketball is a game of momentum. Had they not gone on that 18-7 run we would have won the game by at least 10 points, and the Wizards would not have taken the lead at ANY point in the third or fourth quarter.

While we're at it, what else does you magic ball say? You obviously have supernatural powers that can see into the future with 100% certainty - would you mind telling us what would have happened if we hired Phil? Also, I can't see Monday's game, do you think you could tell me what the final score is going to be?

#18 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

• 5,257 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 02:12 PM

While we're at it, what else does you magic ball say? You obviously have supernatural powers that can see into the future with 100% certainty - would you mind telling us what would have happened if we hired Phil? Also, I can't see Monday's game, do you think you could tell me what the final score is going to be?

With our play in the last twenty or so games are you saying we wouldn't have won? And we would have given up a double digit lead? We established conisistency and continuity with Pau out, and the only way he helps our team right now is by coming off the bench. If we would have hired Phil I can guarantee you he would have had Pau come off the bench unlike D'Antoni...

Edited by LakersChamps243, March 23, 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,340 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 02:54 PM

The same Phil that started Luke Walton over Trevor Ariza and only switched it when Walton went to Phil and told him to start him over him because he was better?

Phil wouldn't have benched Gasol unless Gasol came up to him and said "Clark is better for the starting lineup, bring me off the bench"

And since we know Gasol's mentality we can surely bet that Clark would still be rotting on the bench and we'd still be struggling trying to get Gasol "involved".

#20 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

• 5,257 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:43 PM

The same Phil that started Luke Walton over Trevor Ariza and only switched it when Walton went to Phil and told him to start him over him because he was better?

Phil wouldn't have benched Gasol unless Gasol came up to him and said "Clark is better for the starting lineup, bring me off the bench"

And since we know Gasol's mentality we can surely bet that Clark would still be rotting on the bench and we'd still be struggling trying to get Gasol "involved".

How can you be so sure considering Pau's rapid decline since Phil left the team? Hell he was declining in 2011 in Phil's last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users