• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:30 AM

D'Antoni: Lakers 'Don't Have To Be One-Player Dominant'
Mar 18, 2013 11:46 AM EDT

Bryant_Kobe_lal_121214.jpg

In their 113-102 win over the Sacramento Kings on Sunday, the Los Angeles Lakers had six players in double figures and 28 assists as a team. Antawn Jamison and Metta World Peace scored 27 and 22 points each, while Steve Nash and Steve Blake combined for 20 assists.

All of that transpired without Kobe Bryant, who is out indefinitely due to a severe ankle sprain.

Mike D'Antoni believes the Lakers should not have to be reliant on Bryant to play one-on-one basketball when he returns, because they have proven to be much more balanced playing together and sharing the ball.

"We don't have to be one-player dominant," D'Antoni said. "The ball has to move, and when it does, we're really good."

#2 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Easy to say when shots are falling from behind the arc.

#3 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,569 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:02 AM

I definitely agree with him, but there are times the team just needs a hero. We can be good without Kobe, but eventually every team needs a guy who can take over the game.

The Nuggets are good without a star, so are the Jazz and the Grizzlies, but they always fall short because they don't have that player who can carry the team when things start going south.

Look at the past champs; The Heat had Lebron and Wade, the Mavs had Dirk, the Lakers had Kobe, the Celtics had Pierce and KG, the Spurs had Duncan, etc. Even the runner-ups had Kevin Durant and Dwight Howard.

There are a lot of good teams that will crumble prematurely because they don't have "that guy".

Edited by djcovi, March 18, 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#4 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,457 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:20 AM

He's right.  I really like the way they fought off the Kings late run last night. This squad is loaded with talent. 

Interesting how he went with both Nash & Blake in the back court. 

veqdeg.jpg

#5 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,810 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:54 AM

Easy to say when shots are falling from behind the arc.

Exactly. Over the last two games, the team has shot 25/53 from beyond the arc (not counting Kobe's 3PA from the start of the Pacers game), which is 47%. On the season, our team shoots an average of 36% from beyond the arc (13th in the league) while jacking up 24.6 per game (3rd in the league).

It's obvious to anyone that follows the team that this isn't the norm, otherwise we would have been above .500 a loooooong time ago. How often will we see Jamison and Blake play this well off the bench and make so many of their threes? You can bet that ESPN and every one of their "analysts" will spin the Less Kobe = Better angle soon enough.

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 18, 2013 - 12:33 PM

The next game we lose with Kobe in the lineup is going to be blown up entirely on him by the media, no question. If he drops a triple double, analysts will say he's too ball dominant and Dwight sucks and Nash is a bad fit with Kobe in the game. Seems this too many times.

#7 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Exactly. Over the last two games, the team has shot 25/53 from beyond the arc (not counting Kobe's 3PA from the start of the Pacers game), which is 47%. On the season, our team shoots an average of 36% from beyond the arc (13th in the league) while jacking up 24.6 per game (3rd in the league).

It's obvious to anyone that follows the team that this isn't the norm, otherwise we would have been above .500 a loooooong time ago. How often will we see Jamison and Blake play this well off the bench and make so many of their threes? You can bet that ESPN and every one of their "analysts" will spin the Less Kobe = Better angle soon enough.

Well said. The Lakers beat Denver too when Jamison and Meeks decided to go off for somewhere between 20-30 points. We can't count on that to happen every time. A balanced attack is always ideal but D'Antoni needs to continue to recognize that the offense must be run through Kobe and Dwight and just have them create for everyone else. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, March 18, 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#8 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:14 PM

I definitely agree with him, but there are times the team just needs a hero. We can be good without Kobe, but eventually every team needs a guy who can take over the game.

Yeah, everyone needs me :)

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#9 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,144 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:52 PM

When Kobe is not playing, the ball does tend to move more. There are nights in which our bench does not show up, so that's when needs to take over. I do not have a problem with Kobe taking a lot of shots, especially when guys like Metta are shooting bricks. I do have a problem with his shot selection at times. But its Kobe. I'm accustomed for them going in :laughing: . I think when Kobe is nto playing, there is a sense of urgency among the players that they need to step up. When Kobe is playing, I think a lot of our players tend to take him for granted him and just let him do his thing. They use Kobe to bail us out on many possessions. I do want to see better ball movement, less iso plays.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#10 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Kobe is a blessing and a curse. He is always willing to take that last really tough shot to get his team a score and the team has relied on him to do that this season. 

The bad part about this is that the team relies on him to score when they are, collectively, not having a good shooting night. 

Once that little fear of doubt creeps in their minds the individual players will start to hesitate to shoot the ball and they want to fall back on Kobe. 

I will agree that moving the ball is always the better thing to do on offense. 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#11 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 688 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:40 PM

If Blake and Jamison's respective last 2 performances carried on throughout the remainder of the season, this team would probably never lose again lol. They're falling for the 3 again, but at least it's been falling the last few nights. No doubt though that this team is finally showing some heart out there.  

The best part of the last 2 game for me has been MWP working inside. Two straight games with < 5 3PT attempts, while scoring in high digits, seems significant. Yes, small sample size, but I'd like to see that trend continue.

Edited by Anautikus, March 18, 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#12 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Had to be done.

#13 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,531 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Team definitely is not better without Kobe, but I'd like to see less Iso when he returns. We get to predictable sometimes with the Kobe isos, especially late in the games.

#14 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:55 PM

D'Antoni probably wishes Kobe was suited up right about now.

#15 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,509 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:02 PM

The Lakers are fine.

MMiRi9s.png

#16 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,810 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Didn't even watch the game (just got home from class), but as soon as I saw the final tally I guess it was because our three point shooting went to hell. 5-22 from beyond the arc, with MWP/Blake/Jamison combining for 4-17. I figured the hot shooting would come to an end, but didn't think it would rear it's ugly head with such a poor showing. That's just brutal.

#17 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,589 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Old man 7-man rotation on back to back against one of the youngest teams in the league

Bad coaching

Should of made a mint in Vegas

#18 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:38 PM

I like how people are giving MDA crap yet where else is he going to go to? Hill, Pau and Kobe are hurt and all we have left are people like Duhon Ebanks and Darious Morris.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#19 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,167 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Old man 7-man rotation on back to back against one of the youngest teams in the league

Bad coaching

Should of made a mint in Vegas

Bashing a 7 man rotation.

Forgetting the only other rotations are morris, duhon, ebanks, sacre.

Bad posting.

Don't go to Vegas.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#20 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,775 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 12:20 AM

It was a tradition to have a dominant player since the shakobe era, you cant judge that by winning a game against the third from bottom.

My comment came after the loss today, but seriously Mike don't make a comment like this(which i think came out of context) when thats what you always wanted against Sacramento, let alone it was only one game.

If we haven't won this game we at least could have been down by single digit.

I was excited to see the team pick up without Kobe, but i hope we wont have to worry about it again till summer of 2014.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users