281 replies to this topic

#141 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:54 PM

He doesn't have a large offensive skill set, but he was able to dominate on offense just because of his athletic advantage. That needs to come back. Even though his moves aren't as pretty as other Cs, I'll take his athletic advantage over other current Cs slightly more polished post up skill sets.

Posted Image

#142 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 19, 2013 - 01:32 AM

after watching this http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ewBnHq04CRg , i don't even know if Dwight Howard and Dominant should be even used in the same sentence. 

Edited by beethoven31, March 19, 2013 - 01:33 AM.

Posted Image

#143 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,073 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 01:39 AM

after watching this http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ewBnHq04CRg , i don't even know if Dwight Howard and Dominant should be even used in the same sentence.

If you're illogical you'd believe that
Posted Image

#144 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:31 AM

after watching this http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ewBnHq04CRg , i don't even know if Dwight Howard and Dominant should be even used in the same sentence. 

Advice number 1. Don't use career mixes in an argument. Not the smartest thing. Either way highlights don't show what Dwight Howard does on the defensive end. Stopping penetration, contesting and changing shots. Making shooters pass out of their shot.I mean they might not look significant but it has a huge impact on the game.

#145 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 281 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:44 AM

Dwight is as dominant defensively at his apex as any player offensively in todays game, hes probably the only player in the game that makes other team adjust their offensive game plan.... As far as the little comparison between Bynum and Dwight I think dominance is never a word that should be affiliated with Bynum, I would say that he is deff more skilled on the block but so is Marc Gasol and Al Jefferson

#146 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 19, 2013 - 09:48 AM

First of all Dwight Howard isn't Shaq and will never be. Nobody is saying otherwise. 

Second, after watching this, 

it's pretty clear that you shouldn't use highlights to determine how good a player is anyways. 

#147 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Advice number 1. Don't use career mixes in an argument. Not the smartest thing. Either way highlights don't show what Dwight Howard does on the defensive end. Stopping penetration, contesting and changing shots. Making shooters pass out of their shot.I mean they might not look significant but it has a huge impact on the game.

yeah that is why I said D12 is closer to Ben Wallace than to Shaq. 

Posted Image

#148 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:52 PM

First of all Dwight Howard isn't Shaq and will never be. Nobody is saying otherwise. 

Second, after watching this, 

it's pretty clear that you shouldn't use highlights to determine how good a player is anyways. 

ok, so Dwight is a dominant center?

Posted Image

#149 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:58 PM

ok, so Dwight is a dominant center?

Yes.

#150 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 01:31 AM

Yes.

well i respect that.

to me hmmmm, i wanna say yes but i just can't say it. maybe id say yes when he is putting up at least 25 and 12 a game..

to be fair i can say that he is a monster on boards and defense.
Posted Image

#151 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,105 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 20, 2013 - 02:11 AM

well i respect that.

to me hmmmm, i wanna say yes but i just can't say it. maybe id say yes when he is putting up at least 25 and 12 a game..

Dominance doesn't focus on offense alone. Dominance can focus on defense.

If Dwight wasn't dominant he wouldn't create a 30 point differencial of efficiency when he's on the court vs off it.

And if he wasn't dominant people wouldn't foul the crap out of him every time he's single covered cause they can't stop him any other way.

And he wouldn't draw double teams even when he doesn't have the ball.

Thats why he's dominant :) it aint just putting up big offensive numbers

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#152 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:27 AM

well i respect that.

I think there have been plenty of posts proving quite convincingly how Dwight is a very legitimate offensive threat in the league. He's not going to be Shaq (then again nobody will be for a long time) but he makes up for some of that deficit on defense. 

To be fair, very few NBA players have ever averaged 25/12. Let's look at the list over the last two decades or so.

Kevin Love (2011-2012)

Tim Duncan (2001-2002)

Shaq (2000-2001, 1999-2000, 1996-1997, 1993-1994)

David Robinson (1995-1996)

Hakeem Olajuwon (1993-1994)

Charles Barkley (1992-1993)

Eliminating all the power forwards, we are left with 3 hall of fame centers, Shaq, Robinson, and Hakeem. Dwight is on their level defensively (better than Shaq for sure) and though he might not surpass the magical 25 ppg (22.9 isn't that far off, actually, which was his last injury free season), the fact that he's fouled almost every time he gets the ball in the post and attracts more defensive attention than anyone who isn't Kobe, Durant, or LeBron is pretty good evidence of how much of a threat he is offensively. And that's ignoring everything every other poster has added in which just makes the case stronger.

Edited by bfc1125roy, March 20, 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#153 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,366 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 11:11 AM

The original post of this thread was questioning if Dwight Howard was a dominant center. 

This has turned into more of a "Is Dwight a dominant offensive player" thread.  

Is Dwight offensively dominant? No. Is he below average like Ben Wallace? No.  The problem with many fans is they refuse to find balance in an opinion.  It's either they are dominant or they're not, and that's ignorant to say the least.

When we traded for Dwight, it should have been known that he didn't have a polished offensive game, but it's not like he had a terrible one either.  But because he's supposed to be our future franchise player, the expectations is that he should be an all-around dominant player and that's not true.  As I've said, the years of dominant centers on both ends of the floor are gone.  This league is all about athleticism now.  

Out of every NBA player that gets 10 or more shots a game, Dwight has the highest FG% in the league at 56%.  The whole "well he gets his points off rebounds and dunks" argument is silly.  So now we should discredit players because someone like Dwight is an elite rebounder and is athletic? In that case, Shaq was only dominant because he was 7'1 over 300 pounds, or Lebron is only good because he is an athletic freak.  My point is, an argument can't made against a player because of his traits. 

Dominant players don't need to be dominant in one aspect or another on the court.  There are only a select few in NBA history that have been dominant on both ends of the floor.  Dwight's body of work has NEVER been defined by offense, it's been defined be his defensive ability.  Offense has come second to him, even as the #1 option in Orlando.  

So back to the OP question, is Dwight dominant? Yes.  

In all reality, there is only ONE player in the NBA right now that dominates on both ends of the floor and that's LeBron James. 

#154 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:23 PM

The original post of this thread was questioning if Dwight Howard was a dominant center. 

This has turned into more of a "Is Dwight a dominant offensive player" thread.  

Is Dwight offensively dominant? No. Is he below average like Ben Wallace? No.  The problem with many fans is they refuse to find balance in an opinion.  It's either they are dominant or they're not, and that's ignorant to say the least.

When we traded for Dwight, it should have been known that he didn't have a polished offensive game, but it's not like he had a terrible one either.  But because he's supposed to be our future franchise player, the expectations is that he should be an all-around dominant player and that's not true.  As I've said, the years of dominant centers on both ends of the floor are gone.  This league is all about athleticism now.  

Out of every NBA player that gets 10 or more shots a game, Dwight has the highest FG% in the league at 56%.  The whole "well he gets his points off rebounds and dunks" argument is silly.  So now we should discredit players because someone like Dwight is an elite rebounder and is athletic? In that case, Shaq was only dominant because he was 7'1 over 300 pounds, or Lebron is only good because he is an athletic freak.  My point is, an argument can't made against a player because of his traits. 

Dominant players don't need to be dominant in one aspect or another on the court.  There are only a select few in NBA history that have been dominant on both ends of the floor.  Dwight's body of work has NEVER been defined by offense, it's been defined be his defensive ability.  Offense has come second to him, even as the #1 option in Orlando.  

So back to the OP question, is Dwight dominant? Yes.  

In all reality, there is only ONE player in the NBA right now that dominates on both ends of the floor and that's LeBron James. 

I don't find Lebron dominant on the defensive side but thats me.

#155 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:45 PM

LeBron is one of the best defensive PF's in the league, just statistically. He's much improved from the days of just being good weakside help. 

The Heat, though, haven't exactly been playing great defense consistently this season (it's been better as of late though, still top 10 in the league). But they just have so much offensive firepower they are clearly on a roll. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, March 20, 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#156 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 281 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Haha Lebron is the most versatile defender in the league (probably in league history) and is the best defender on a top 10 defensive team, his ability to bang in the post with fours and some fives while being able to effectively guard ANY perimeter player in the league for possessions. He;s two tenths away from a block a game and three tenths away from averaging 2 steals, you cant name me five other players that do that in this league.. 

I'll admit his man to man defense is not as great as advertised but hes a monster on the helpside and can give any player fits for possessions.. to not think he's dominant in that end of the floor is a bit confusing

#157 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Haha Lebron is the most versatile defender in the league (probably in league history) 

I wouldn't go that far. 

#158 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Haha Lebron is the most versatile defender in the league (probably in league history) and is the best defender on a top 10 defensive team, his ability to bang in the post with fours and some fives while being able to effectively guard ANY perimeter player in the league for possessions. He;s two tenths away from a block a game and three tenths away from averaging 2 steals, you cant name me five other players that do that in this league.. 

I'll admit his man to man defense is not as great as advertised but hes a monster on the helpside and can give any player fits for possessions.. to not think he's dominant in that end of the floor is a bit confusing

Well it also helps Lebron rarely ever gets called for a foul on the defensive end.

And no he is not the most versatile defender in Nba history. There's this guy called Dennis Rodman and his pal Scottie Pippen

#159 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 295 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:42 PM

The League has changed in the last 10 years, moving away from a large center who plays with his back to the basket, in favor of the Chicago Bulls model, "Center by Committee" which uses large Forwards as Centers who are more comfortable facing the basket. 

This change is quite evident in the NCAA where College Centers and Forwards are recruited for their ability to shoot jumpers and pass, not play post up play, hook shots, and short jumpers.  . 

Colin Herd has had a number of coaches on his morning program over the past couple weeks explaining this transition in the College and NBA game. 

Back to the point of the thread, Howard is a bit of a throw back in that he plays with his back to the basket and blocks shots.  So yes, if that is the position we are examining, he is indeed one of the more dominant Centers of late.  But this is a dying breed.

#160 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 281 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well it also helps Lebron rarely ever gets called for a foul on the defensive end.

And no he is not the most versatile defender in Nba history. There's this guy called Dennis Rodman and his pal Scottie Pippen

He does average only 1.5 fouls a game but i'm not seeing how that takes away from his defensive prowess, in fact it should add to it seeing as he knows how to guard without fouling...

As for Rodman, I can deff agree he and Pippen are in the argument... I just feel like Lebron has for this short time (bout the last year or two) has defended points guards to big fours and even a couple of fives, its hard to give him the edge for guys who have done it for years so yeah probably a bit early. Theres no question he's the most versatile today tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users