#41 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 18, 2013 - 12:44 AM

Dwights defense is out of this world good but you cannot deny his offense is terrible. Hopefully this will develop further though. He does know how to perform post moves, he just doesn't have the touch to finish them consistently yet.

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,461 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 18, 2013 - 12:56 AM

If his offense is so terrible why are teams so afraid to single cover him. Think about it. If he was so terrible offensively he'd be single covered every night and played like Chandler is. He isn't. He's rarely single covered and if he gets the ball single covered 8 times out of 10 he'll be fouled.

If they had nothing to fear, why is he always doubled and why are teams so afraid to leave him alone with another center?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#43 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,049 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:10 AM

If his offense is so terrible why are teams so afraid to single cover him. Think about it. If he was so terrible offensively he'd be single covered every night and played like Chandler is. He isn't. He's rarely single covered and if he gets the ball single covered 8 times out of 10 he'll be fouled.

If they had nothing to fear, why is he always doubled and why are teams so afraid to leave him alone with another center?

Well said. There's a reason why a player as supposedly offensively poor as Dwight is 3rd in the NBA in fta/game. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, March 18, 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#44 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,894 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:35 AM

I think the thread starter still comparing the old nba to the new nba, its clearly different and the tactics of the old and new are different inside and out and furthermore Dwight Howard is different player than the others.

Dwight is clearly different against other big men like shaq who's dangerous and more powerful at the post unlike Dwight who's good overall in both ends especially at help defense.

Dwight Howard doesn't need more touch if his teammate are helping him, this is TEAM BASKETBALL not One Man Team.

Hayes is not bad defender, he is good defender especially at the post furthermore he's smart but small.

Don't judge the books by its cover.

33bkfif.jpg

#45 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,927 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:47 AM

I remember when people were arguing that Roy Hibbert had more offensive go-to moves than Dwight Howard.

Could be true, of course, but Hibbert shooting 43% from the floor (for a seven-footer not named Dirk) doesn't exactly give you the idea that he is a better scorer than Howard, now does it?

But I do find this hilarious...for not being an offensive threat, Howard is TOP FIVE in the NBA in big man scoring.

1) Brook Lopez (18.8 PPG, 52% FG)

2) Al Horford (17.3 PPG, 55.2% FG)

3) Tim Duncan (17.1 PPG, 50.4% FG)

4) Chris Bosh (17.0 PPG, 54.2% FG)

5) Dwight Howard (16.5 PPG, 56.9%)

Horford and Bosh are supposed to be power forwards (and the thread starter would likely agree), so among all pure centers, Howard is 3rd in scoring.  Guess what else?  He's #1 in efficiency on this list.

There are just three players in the NBA who are averaging 15+ PPG and shooting 55% or better from the floor: LeBron James, Al Horford, and you guessed it...Dwight Howard.

There are three players taking 9+ free throws a game: James Harden, Kevin Durant...and Dwight Howard.

Don't try and find a Shaq comparison.  There isn't one, not even in the history of the league.  Shaq was over 7-feet tall, and 350+ pounds.  Nobody could shut him down for 40 minutes, not even Ben Wallace (who I mentioned earlier).  Nobody in today's game even comes close.  

Dwight Howard draws more defensive attention than anyone in the NBA not named Kobe, LeBron, or Durant.  If that doesn't make him a huge problem for other teams on the defensive end, I don't know what would make ANYONE a problem.

#46 Ace

Ace

Rookie

• 623 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:08 AM

Could have fooled me. The most dominant center in the league? He puts up 12 points on garbage like Chuck Hayes? Please. A true dominant center would be dropping 30+ a night on these scrubs Howard is going against. His footwork is atrocious, he has no shot at all. Just like we exposed him in the 2009 Finals, hes just a glorified dunker who can make layups too. Hes far from a dominant center. 

Just answer this, who would you have at center playing for your team today?

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't. -Jerry Rice

#47 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:30 AM

Just answer this, who would you have at center playing for your team today?

I would probably guess whoever is scoring the most that day. I saw that Hibbert scored 25 recently, so I would guess him for the moment. Tomorrow, it might change! He has been so thoroughly shut down by multiple posters, I doubt he will try again.

#48 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,738 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 18, 2013 - 03:22 AM

He is the most dominant center in the NBA defensively, while offensively he is just an above-average center. 

Edited by Nak, March 18, 2013 - 03:22 AM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#49 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,047 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:19 AM

Could have fooled me. The most dominant center in the league? He puts up 12 points on garbage like Chuck Hayes? Please. A true dominant center would be dropping 30+ a night on these scrubs Howard is going against. His footwork is atrocious, he has no shot at all. Just like we exposed him in the 2009 Finals, hes just a glorified dunker who can make layups too. Hes far from a dominant center.

Agreed because offense is the only priority.

Forget his 17 rebounds and handful of blocks.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#50 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:38 AM

He is not dominant offensively but he is a dominant defensive player.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#51 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:26 AM

HE is dominant if he is in run for Defensive player of year 3 yrs str8. Coming off back surgery who you ever seen recover faster? I would like to see him at 24pts -28pts per game = he must make free throws to get there & 2-4 more shots per gm.  

the rate he is getting intentionally fouled & the majority of those calls dont get called its easy to determine D12 must put on more weight & be a more intimidating big in post. I agree he allows midgets to push him around far too much & thats mostly cuz D12 is too small in the legs.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#52 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:48 AM

I remember when people were arguing that Roy Hibbert had more offensive go-to moves than Dwight Howard.

Could be true, of course, but Hibbert shooting 43% from the floor (for a seven-footer not named Dirk) doesn't exactly give you the idea that he is a better scorer than Howard, now does it?

But I do find this hilarious...for not being an offensive threat, Howard is TOP FIVE in the NBA in big man scoring.

Horford and Bosh are supposed to be power forwards (and the thread starter would likely agree), so among all pure centers, Howard is 3rd in scoring. Guess what else? He's #1 in efficiency on this list.

There are just three players in the NBA who are averaging 15+ PPG and shooting 55% or better from the floor: LeBron James, Al Horford, and you guessed it...Dwight Howard.

There are three players taking 9+ free throws a game: James Harden, Kevin Durant...and Dwight Howard.

Don't try and find a Shaq comparison. There isn't one, not even in the history of the league. Shaq was over 7-feet tall, and 350+ pounds. Nobody could shut him down for 40 minutes, not even Ben Wallace (who I mentioned earlier). Nobody in today's game even comes close.

Dwight Howard draws more defensive attention than anyone in the NBA not named Kobe, LeBron, or Durant. If that doesn't make him a huge problem for other teams on the defensive end, I don't know what would make ANYONE a problem.

#53 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,035 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Could have fooled me. The most dominant center in the league? He puts up 12 points on garbage like Chuck Hayes? Please. A true dominant center would be dropping 30+ a night on these scrubs Howard is going against. His footwork is atrocious, he has no shot at all. Just like we exposed him in the 2009 Finals, hes just a glorified dunker who can make layups too. Hes far from a dominant center. 

tumblr_mfp8971y771qclwico1_400.jpg

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#54 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:20 AM

OP won't be convinced until Howard puts up 30 ppg. Until then we're all just upping our post count in this thread.

#55 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Horford and Bosh are supposed to be power forwards (and the thread starter would likely agree), so among all pure centers, Howard is 3rd in scoring.  Guess what else?  He's #1 in efficiency on this list.

Don't try and find a Shaq comparison.  There isn't one, not even in the history of the league.  Shaq was over 7-feet tall, and 350+ pounds.  Nobody could shut him down for 40 minutes, not even Ben Wallace (who I mentioned earlier).  Nobody in today's game even comes close.  

Dwight Howard draws more defensive attention than anyone in the NBA not named Kobe, LeBron, or Durant.  If that doesn't make him a huge problem for other teams on the defensive end, I don't know what would make ANYONE a problem.

This essentially sums it up. Combine this with all that was said earlier in the thread and you can just put this topic to bed.

Posted Image

#56 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Dwight ain't putting up andrew bynum numbers.

Dwight leads the league in rebounding and could rip down 20 often, thats an important aspect.

And also you can't call his 39 a joke he went to the line 25 times cause that was the ONLY way they thought they could stop him.

That should speak more towards dominance should it not?

Dwight effects the game defensively and through rebounding and if he wasnt doubled and tripled he'd probably score a lot more, but he is, cause when he isnt he could go for 30. Thats why he's fouled so much.

Besides Dwight makes the defense by making plays when double teamed which means the defense has to make a decision to single cover him or risk the pass.

If they choose to single cover him he scores on them. Or they foul him before he can.

That IS an example of dominance.

He is fouled so much cause he can't make make FTs

Hes not getting fouled because he can score....he's getting fouled because the %s say foul him and he won't make both or at best one shot....then they can go down and hit a 3 or a 2....... taking a chance on him hitting both FTs OR 1 FTs.....OR no Fts 10 times a game are not bad odds. If D12 misses 2 or 1 and they hit a 2 or 3 ..4xs a game puts them ahead OR keeps them in the game

Its why we can't blow teams out...along with poor Defense

We go up 10 then D12 misses 6 FTs in a row....the other team hits 2 3s in a row and............. they are right back in the game

Edited by Lords of the Rings, March 18, 2013 - 01:12 PM.

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#57 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:31 PM

He is fouled so much cause he can't make make FTs

Hes not getting fouled because he can score....he's getting fouled because the %s say foul him and he won't make both or at best one shot....then they can go down and hit a 3 or a 2....... taking a chance on him hitting both FTs OR 1 FTs.....OR no Fts 10 times a game are not bad odds. If D12 misses 2 or 1 and they hit a 2 or 3 ..4xs a game puts them ahead OR keeps them in the game

Its why we can't blow teams out...along with poor Defense

We go up 10 then D12 misses 6 FTs in a row....the other team hits 2 3s in a row and............. they are right back in the game

No they foul him because he is an offensive threat, a big one. That is why he is constantly double teamed. 

Watch the games.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#58 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 689 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Robin Lopez is the best center in the league. Wait I mean Brook. They're the same anyway.  :rolleyes:

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#59 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 18, 2013 - 03:21 PM

No they foul him because he is an offensive threat, a big one. That is why he is constantly double teamed. 

Watch the games.

I never miss a game

Which move of his is unstoppable?? His spin to the baseline? His running hook shot that when he releases hes pass the basket? Him dribbling 4-5 times to wait for the DT, but doesn't pass anyway and gets fouled?? And I'm talking about when we play the weak teams

I'm seeing Gs and SFs block his shots

If he was a threat it was because he could jump higher, but that was in the past. Lobs are not enough of a threat to call him a threat. Needs to develop footwork, drop steps and head fakes. If he were a 75 % FT shooter things would be different

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#60 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,596 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 03:41 PM

I swear The laker fanbase has so much ignorance spewing throughout right now
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users