281 replies to this topic

#241 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,039 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:45 AM

If Dwight plays in the NBA prior to 2004, he wouldn't be considered the best big man in the game. Not even close.  He is playing in an era where there are very few centers. And absolutely no center who has any offensive back to the basket game. The only center that considered a center are Brook Lopez, Mark Gasol and Andrew Bynum.  Mark is more of an over grown PF who likes to take jump shots.  Brook is a poor mans center and Andrew Bynum. Well, he doesn't care much for basketball or rehabing his injury so he is a bust.  So that is why D12 is considered the best and dominant center.  If he plays against shaq in his prime, alonzo, hakeem, patrick ewing, he will get destroyed for sure. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#242 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Alright for those who still question his dominance.

No one if their offensive or post game sucked would attract the kind of attention in the paint he does.  

I think a lot of people are overlooking a lot and not giving Dwight the credit he deserves. 

If his offense sucked in the post, there wouldn't be entire defenses structured to keep pressure on him so he can't score.  No one has demanded as much defensive attention in the post that he does while shooting a high percentage he does in YEARS I think a lot of fans overlook that or don't know a good thing when they see it especially nowadays.

Let me just put this in perspective for you.

The guy averaged 20/15 for an entire series while dealing with this

tumblr_mm0w5wjnPO1qzss4xo5_1280.jpg

if THAT's not dominant I don't know what is.

hmmmmm NOPE...

I think they're just trying to send him off to the freethrow line right there...

Posted Image

#243 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Alright for those who still question his dominance.

No one if their offensive or post game sucked would attract the kind of attention in the paint he does.  

I think a lot of people are overlooking a lot and not giving Dwight the credit he deserves. 

If his offense sucked in the post, there wouldn't be entire defenses structured to keep pressure on him so he can't score.  No one has demanded as much defensive attention in the post that he does while shooting a high percentage he does in YEARS I think a lot of fans overlook that or don't know a good thing when they see it especially nowadays.

Let me just put this in perspective for you.

The guy averaged 20/15 for an entire series while dealing with this

if THAT's not dominant I don't know what is.

hmmmmm NOPE...

I think they're just trying to send him off to the freethrow line right there...

Posted Image

#244 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,899 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:42 PM

^

ts_130516capsule_howard670.jpg

So not only did he lead the league in rebounds he was 2nd in the league in field goal percentage?

Talk about underappreciated by some.

Also

Pre All-Star: 16.3 ppg on 57.8% FG's and 49.5% FT's, 11.8 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 1.1 spg, 3.0 topg's

Post All-Star: 18.4 ppg on 57.8% FG's and 48.8% FT's, 13.6 rpg, 2.6 bpg, 1.2 spg, 2.9 topg's

Not only that

But Dwight Howard shot 61.9% from the field against the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs when their entire defense was designed to stop him.

That's 61% against THIS

Yeah, we REALLY NEED this guy :)    Hope some people stop trying to argue the opposite.

Edited by Majesty, May 19, 2013 - 06:43 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#245 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:51 PM

If Dwight plays in the NBA prior to 2004, he wouldn't be considered the best big man in the game. Not even close.  He is playing in an era where there are very few centers. And absolutely no center who has any offensive back to the basket game. The only center that considered a center are Brook Lopez, Mark Gasol and Andrew Bynum.  Mark is more of an over grown PF who likes to take jump shots.  Brook is a poor mans center and Andrew Bynum. Well, he doesn't care much for basketball or rehabing his injury so he is a bust.  So that is why D12 is considered the best and dominant center.  If he plays against shaq in his prime, alonzo, hakeem, patrick ewing, he will get destroyed for sure. 

But he doesn't, so talk about an argument that holds NO water.

If Dwight was born back then, he would have had different tutelage, because during hs/COLLege where he would have went and likely got PAID by a booster, then he would have added technique.

But lets see.

Shaq was younger than Hakeem and Ewing and the Admiral. He was also younger than Rik Smits,Vlade, and Sabonis.

Did he go against ANY great big men in their absolute PRIME? Alonzo, but the Shaq that people often think of, Lakers Shaq before he got too fat, went against NO one even Close to being a great center in their prime. And as a Magic, he didn't win, so Shaq is kind of a product of his environment. 

I think if Portland trades Sabons for Marc Gasol in 2000, we could be talking about an entire differnt situation. What about Vlade Divac for Dwight Howard, do you think the Kings would have beat us?

If Iverson would have had Dwight instead of Mutumbo, you think that series would have been more interesting?

#246 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:01 PM

As long as D'Antoni is present D12 will never be dominant. 

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#247 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,106 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:06 PM

As long as D'Antoni is present D12 will never be dominant. 

you mean without 2-3 spot up/catch and shoot reliable shooters he wont be as dominat as he was in past. Coach D doesnt hold D12 back compred to how he holds Pau back.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#248 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,987 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:28 PM

you mean without 2-3 spot up/catch and shoot reliable shooters he wont be as dominat as he was in past. Coach D doesnt hold D12 back compred to how he holds Pau back.

Yea granted as a fan I have mixed feeling for Gasol ranging from joy, to appreciaiton, to frustration, to gettting rid of him. He is still a nice asset. In reality he compliments Howard nicely, which is funny cause Houston proponents argue Asik would be better by D12, yea whatever. In the end, D'Antoni should not be coaching, he is in over his head. Plain and simple. Because as a whole the Lakers need to fill in alot of gaps that won't happen,

I agree Howard is a head case, but guess what, the NBA is ruled by divas, for a long time now. You think VDN with Griffin and Paul, Woodson and Melo, Thibs with Rose, Westbrook with Brooks. In the end you as a 'decent' coach make it work, not just bench a good player because you cannot figure it out. I agree D12 is overrrated to a degree, but as an advisor even I would say the Houston situation is more appealing.

#249 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,106 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:35 PM

I dont think D12 is overrated I just think without shooters he can be easily taken out of gm when you just foul him & frustrate him. That can only happen when his role players dont keep defense honest by closing out on them taking & making wide open looks. I cant say Woodson is overated. Cuz he wants same exact style of O as COach D wants but he got the best out plenty of serviceable role players this season & when he took over season b4. The players let him down in playoffs not the system IMO. VDN is overrated but when you have that many good players at each position its easy to be a front runner during reg season.

I dont see Rox being more appealing for a Title but the game would be alot easier for D12 there compared to in LA with current roster.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#250 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,987 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:45 PM

See I would say VDN's players let him down where Woodson was severely outcoached by Vogel who along with Hollins have made great names for themsleves in this postseason.

For D'Antoni I am not even gonna pick at his system, but rather how he mishandled Gasol, Didn't play his bench often until the playoffs, even on plays for D12 were just odd. And plus while I get why play Kobe extensively, at some point at least mid season regulate his minutes, although like I said considering the position of the team I get it.

D12 is the best center, especially when healthy, you really cannot argue that. Whether its because the position is so watered down now thats opinion based (but I do agree), but ultimately he isn't gonna be the savior of this team. With him, he are a 6-8 playoff seed, without him we are lottery team, that simple. No reasonable Laker fan whould be viewing his decicision currently like our future depends on it.

#251 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:45 PM

I have yet to hear any positives come from Dwight's mouth regarding D'Antoni. Not that I've heard any real negative remarks, either, but this is an issue.

I am of the mindset that a team's best player MUST, in some function, envision that coach's plans and philosophical (basketball) ideology. 

D'Antoni has shown that he has no appetite for defense and cannot design a team around a powerful post presence.

I just hope he's gone by this time next season, when the real free agents are available.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#252 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:46 PM

TO clarify, I just hope MDA is gone, not D12. I love D12 as a player and believe hes integral in the future of the Lakers.

Wut

#253 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just wondering if Dwight is in Roy Hibbert's place in Indiana, would they make it this far?

Posted Image

#254 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,899 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Just wondering if Dwight is in Roy Hibbert's place in Indiana, would they make it this far?

If healthy they'd probably be up 2-1 on the Heat right now.

#255 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,463 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM

lol hell yeah... 3-1 right now if he was.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#256 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:35 PM

If healthy they'd probably be up 2-1 on the Heat right now.

even with hack a dwight?

Posted Image

#257 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,899 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Imagine, the defensive wing players on the Pacers if they had a healthy Dwight Howard on the inside..in the East!?!?!? They'd be freaking scary!!!!

#258 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,899 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:36 PM

even with hack a dwight?

The other team wouldn't score off of it so it wouldn't matter :bounce:

#259 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,737 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hibbert is simply more effective than D12 in Indy's system.

Indiana has no reliable 3 pt shooter. So they need to play inside - in.

Hibbert is superior on the offense than D12. Plus he can shoot FTs.

With D12 - you need good / very good reliable 3 pt shooters - so than he can pass the ball out early.

Indy will score 60 if they rely on George Hill and Stevenson's 3 pt shooting.

On defense D12 will probably be better. But Hibbert is a competent blocker .. Plus He is way bigger.

And that extra height gives Indy a matchup advantage over Miami.  D12's athleticism makes up for it.

But in Indy's system Hibbert is a better fit.

#260 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,737 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:55 PM

The other team wouldn't score off of it so it wouldn't matter :bounce:

That is the sort of thinking that probably prevents D12 from improving.

What is easier ?  Knock down a couple of FTs (or at least 3 of every 4 )  or play 24 seconds of defense against a good offensive team with lots of ball movement.  Yes defense will result in some stops. But a lot more energy is wasted. But that hack a D12 leads to a broken rhythm on offense - when the hack finally stops.

Simply put Hack a D12 is very effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users