Photo

Dwight Howard is a dominant center?

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#181 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,178 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 03, 2013 - 04:43 AM

Lakers 23-6 when he scores 20 points. Keep feeding him the rock!

Makes you wish he was healthy all season doesn't it? ;)

Actually if he returns next year we could be quite dangerous.

A LOT of contracts are ending this off-season on our team.

8 of our contracts are up or have a player/team option.

Contracts up
Dwight
Jamison
Clark
Morris
Ebanks
Sacre

Contracts with player/team option
Metta World Peace(Player)
Meeks(Team)

This means that we only have 6 players guaranteed next year

Kobe
Pau
Nash
Blake
Hill
Duhon

Those are our only 6 guaranteed returns next year.

That gives us a LOT of room. Assume we keep Metta, Meeks and Clark and resign Dwight.

Then we only have a 10(out of 15) player roster.

That means we'd enter the off-season with 5 available player slots and much more breathing room in terms of position signing. We'd probably edge out a few things in those roster spots. So im already more optimistic about next year(if Dwight stays)

But even if he doesn't stay then we'll have enough money for TWO Max contract signings in a 2014 free-agent market... Which aint bad lol. Id just feel bad for Kobe (if he retired then)

All and all I hope Dwight stays and that 2013-2014 season is something special.

Edited by Majesty, April 03, 2013 - 04:44 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#182 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 03, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Dwight ain't putting up andrew bynum numbers.

Dwight leads the league in rebounding and could rip down 20 often, thats an important aspect.

And also you can't call his 39 a joke he went to the line 25 times cause that was the ONLY way they thought they could stop him.

That should speak more towards dominance should it not?

Dwight effects the game defensively and through rebounding and if he wasnt doubled and tripled he'd probably score a lot more, but he is, cause when he isnt he could go for 30. Thats why he's fouled so much.

Besides Dwight makes the defense by making plays when double teamed which means the defense has to make a decision to single cover him or risk the pass.

If they choose to single cover him he scores on them. Or they foul him before he can.

That IS an example of dominance.

Nope

That's not dominance

I've seen plenty of teams not double team him. Depends on where he gets the ball. He is not a threat from anywhere in the post.

He's depending on 'attributes" not skill..... at this time

Will he develop into one?? Hope so

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#183 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,746 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 03, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Nope

That's not dominance

I've seen plenty of teams not double team him. Depends on where he gets the ball. He is not a threat from anywhere in the post.

He's depending on 'attributes" not skill..... at this time

Will he develop into one?? Hope so

Almost every team doubles him constantly troll

#184 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 03, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Please get a grip this guy isn't "the" answer to this teams issues as I stated many times in the "Let's get D Howard"  book that was here for months, I said the improvement was only quote"only on D", Bynum was not as bad as portrayed, he was no franchise player either, D Howard would need some "Go-to" moves and play every night, not get hiself "ejected" from games cause he doesn't like the either style of play or his own ineffectiveness, remember injuries can happen to anyone, Superman has no reason to get a pass, as Kobe is the iron will, and would play with one leg, so giving him a pass is pointless no pass for Bynums' shenanigans. Both are immature to say the least.I would trade Pau and Howard for some great picks over the next few years, the win now deal is over, agreed? Sorry but this is a collection of names, not winning easy games and hoping to just get into the playoffs like some magic would suddenly happen, I'm still laughing at that one, reality check time Wynonna isn't going to win DWTS and the Bakers aren't getting rings.

#185 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted April 21, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Now what...
Posted Image

#186 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 21, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Dwight is in his prime, and sux compared to Shaq was. its wack

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#187 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 21, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Now what...

Don't bump a thread if you're going to post useless comments like these.

20/15 on 66% shooting along with two blocks and numerous altered drives today. Exactly what he should be doing. He would have looked even better if we had any semblance of perimeter defense and if we didn't botch half a dozen post entries.

#188 DeeZee

DeeZee

Sixth Man

• 4,190 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe. Shaq. Magic. Kareem.

Posted April 21, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Dwight has been playing really well lately in Kobe's absence

#189 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted April 21, 2013 - 05:02 PM

There will only be one shaq

#190 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Now what...

Haha...you picked the wrong game, and I noticed you weren't in here in those last two games without Kobe, also (because that would have been an even bigger mistake).

If you were expecting a 40/20 performance, I'm sorry.

#191 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:16 PM

He was the most dominant player on both ends of the floor tonight...

I need your brand of tv you obviously saw a different game than I. Fumbling the ball and not making moves without the ball so Nash could deliver he isn't dominating to me only average on D too. Hey you all wanted the playoffs and I told ya this team wasn't ready for that.

#192 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:17 PM

...Nash hasn't delivered all season long, with or without Dwight on the court, lol.

You guys are funny.

#193 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:22 PM

...Nash hasn't delivered all season long, with or without Dwight on the court, lol.

You guys are funny.

So what's the solution?

Trade him in the off-season for a first round pick or an athletic wing? We are paying him $6 million each year for the next three seasons. If he has played bad this season, I wonder how he will play when he is on his third year of his contract. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#194 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,178 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:30 PM

If Popovich keeps leaving Nash open, once Nash starts hitting he'll probably look like an all-star and real deal will get 10 responses saying "WHAT U SAY BOUT NASH!?!?!?"

Fact is, the way Popovich is playing him, the blueprint is there for Nash to score 25 if he stayed aggressive and hit his open shots.

He was 6-15 today and yet had 16 points still while getting his legs underneath him.  

If  Pop keeps playing Nash so openly and giving him so many good looks because he's worried about Gasol and Howard then it's gonna go real bad real quick once Nash gets his legs underneath him.

In the midst of our complaining about how bad Gasol was looking when he returned, we were ignoring how the Lakers were playing him and how many open looks Gasol was getting, yet once he got his legs back and those open shots started falling... we saw what happened.

I'm viewing Nash the same way... I HOPE popovich keeps feeling like Nash is going to miss open layups and mid range jumpers all game, I hope he gives him 10 a game like today too because suddenly he's gonna have to stop collapsing on our bigs because Nash will be lighting them up because they are playing such soft defense against him and literally "letting" him get open mid range shots and layups.

And AFTER that happens we need to go to our bigs because obviously after Nash does that Popovich is gonna refocus defensive efforts around the perimeter and THAT is when we punish them inside... and not wait 2 minutes to do it after they switch =p lol

Edited by Majesty, April 21, 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#195 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,309 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:31 PM

We all expected Nash to age gracefully. Not this [expletive]ing bad.

#196 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,350 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:34 PM

You guys are funny.

tell me about it. what a disappointment. 

Posted Image

#197 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:28 PM

dwight is injured. you'll see his prime next year

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#198 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,554 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Dwight is dominant in a system and from a coach that gives him the ability to be dominant.

Edited by Ham, April 22, 2013 - 05:57 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#199 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,178 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Dwight is dominant in a system and from a coach that gives him the ability to be dominant.

Dwight is dominant when the people around him hit their open shots so that it allows him to go to work inside.  It ain't just the system it's the players have to hit their shots.

In Orlando do you think if the other team wasn't worried about Nelson, Turkuglu and Lewis hitting wide open shots that Dwight would have been able to do nearly as much inside as he did?

He wouldn't have looked nearly as dominant in that system if the guys around him couldn't hit shots.    Otherwise teams would have swarmed on him and he'd have turned it over if they tried to force it in the post to him, which DID happen when his teammates were cold in Orlando.  Fortunately more often than not they weren't.

We can play the exact same system here in Los Angeles, but if Meeks, Nash, Blake, Clark, Jamison don't hit their open shots, then Dwight won't be able to do much of anything.

That said he still got 20/15 with the entire Spurs team swarming on him.  That DOES say something for dominance.

#200 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Works both ways.  Dominance comes from others playing their roles, usually much smaller than that of the superstar (and this is the case for a guy like Meeks), and a system that is constructed to allow such dominance.

It's like when you're asked to feed the hot hand.  That shooter/slasher, who is feeling it, won't be able to dominate a game if he's not touching the ball.

Shaq is rare.  Dwight Howard is an excellent player...on both ends.  He doesn't have to have 5-6 post moves to be a high-percentage offensive threat in the paint.  People don't get that.  Compared to Shaq...well, very few compare.  Wilt, Kareem, and that's about it.

The dominance comes in an offense that basically forces teams to sag off of him a little more than they NEED to.  That engages Howard as an offensive threat, and as a primary offensive option.

Some of you talk like he's Dennis Rodman.  He's not.  But there are VERY FEW big man in the NBA that can give you 20+ on 60% FG with the focus primarily on them all game long, and with some of the double teams he gets.

But what if you center the offense around another player?  It better be a Kobe, LeBron, or Durant...someone that Howard can play off of and that demands enough defensive attention, or else it's a bad idea.  

Steve Nash isn't that player, and that was clear from the first preseason game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users